Originally Posted by Turnbull
True--at the end of GFII. And, Tom replies: "Why do you hurt me, Michael--I've always been loyal to you." (Notice how the camera pans to Neri, smirking--he must have been the source of the info about Tom being offered a position outside the Family.)

After the Tahoe shooting, Michael tells Tom: "Right now, you're the only one I can completely trust." It's fair to note that Michael began that scene saying: "There's a lot I can't tell you about." You have to wonder: What couldn't he tell Tom about that Tom already didn't know, or couldn't infer? I think at that point Michael wasn't questioning Tom's loyalty ("You're gonna take over...you're gonna be the Don...I give you complete power over Rocco and Neri...over Fredo and his men..."); he probably was being Michael: tell Tom the minimum he needed in order to do the job Michael was giving him...temporarily.

That whole scene is the epitome of Michael's manipulation of all those around him. He's not going to tell Tom everything because "I admire you and I love you". Bull! It's pure manipulation. Michael excludes Tom from the meeting with Ola because Tom only handles certain parts of the Corleone family business, but now he suddenly can designate Tom as the Don. More bull!

As I've opined so many times, Michael blamed and continues to blame Tom for the Corleone's misfortunes. However, now he desperately needs Tom.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."