GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 82 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,657
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,185
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,389
Posts1,059,919
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 #998043
10/10/20 01:18 PM
10/10/20 01:18 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
The Mangano Crime Family, which would become today's Gambino Family,
was a powerful force, with a general/historical precedent of having three factions: The Mangano group (his relatives and supporters) The Anastasia group ( his large regime of street gangsters) and The Gambinos (a contingent of Sicilian Mafioso bound by blood and supporters). Today's Family still has the remnants of this dynamic.

Upper Echelon Members of Various Leadership Roles
1.) VINCENT MANGANO ( known as "Don Vincenzo". An old time mafioso/Labor Rackateer, with a stranglehold on Brooklyn Waterfront Unions. Heavily Allied with Joe Bonanno and Joe Profaci of New York.)
2.) ALBERT ANASTASIA ( The dominant presence in the Organization/Leader of a large regime of street guys with affliation to the Jewish Mob. Has a stranglehold on Brooklyn docks. Allied with Frank Costello of New York.)()
3.) FRANCESCO SCALICI (better known as "Frank Scalise", was an early Leader in the Family with a loyal following. International Narcotics Trafficker with connections to LUCKY LUCIANO in Sicily.)
4.) CARLO GAMBINO ( Black Market Rackateer from Sicily with with a large regime of relatives, Sicilian imports and supporters. In alliance with Vito Genovese and Tommy Lucchesse of New York. Has strong familial ties to Sicily.)
5.) SALVATORE CHIRI (known as " Toto Chirico". An Early leader in the Family. Anastasia's Underboss.)
6.) JOSEPH BIONDO (known as "Joe Bandy" A Powerful Capo and Advisory to Albert Anastasia. Has association to Lucky Luciano and later Carlo Gambino.)

CAPOREGIME

mangano regimes:
FILLPPO "PHILLIP COHEN" MANGANO
GUISEPPE "THE PEASANT" TRAINA
OLYMPIO "LILO" GAROFALO

anastastia regimes:
ANTONINO "NINO" CONTE
VINCENT "JIMMY" CRISALLI
FRANCESCO "FRANK" CORBI
JOSEPH FRANCO
ANTHONY RIZZO
DIEGO "PAPA DAVE" AMODEO
ROSARIO "CHARLEY BRUSH" DONGARRA
ARMAND "TOMMY" RAVA
CARMINE "THE DOCTOR" LOMBARDOZZI
STEFANO "14TH STREET STEVE" ARMONE
ANIELLO "NEIL" DELLACROCE

gambino regimes:
PAOLO GAMBINO
DOMENICO ARCURI
GAETANO "TOM" RUSSO
PAUL "BIG PAUL" CASTELLANO
PIETRO STINCONE
STEFANO LOPICCOLO
VINCENT "JIMMY THE BLONDE" CORRAO

SOLDATO/SOLDIERS
The Criminal Expertise: Waterfront Labor/Union Rackateering, Waste Management Infiltration, Black Market Rackets, Shylocking, Extortion, Gambling. Freelance Narcotics Trafficking, Food Industry infiltration.

mangano faction:
GIUSEPPE "BATTISTA" BALSAMO
ALBERT BRUNO
CALOGERO "LELIO" DI CARLO
GIUSEPPE BELFIORE
MARIO GARGANO
VINCENZO "JIMMY" DI LEONARDO
SALVATORE D' ACQUISTO
GIOVANNI "JOHN" SCIASIA
FELIX LOCICERO
GIOSUE MELI
VINCENT AVERSA
MARCO LIMANDRI
ONOFRIO MODICA
GIOACHINO "DANDY JACK" PARISI
ANDREA TORREGROSSA
CARLO ZACCARIA
NICHOLAS PATTI
JOHN IGNAZIO
VINCENZO LOCICERO
ANGELO CULMO
LEONARDO GRILLO
GIOACHINO "JACK" SPARACINO
JOHN BERNARDO
FILLIPO LICASTRI
CONSTANTINO "GUS" SCANNAVINO

anastasia faction:
ANTHONY "TOUGH TONY" ANASTASIO
JOHN "JOHNNY ROBERTS" ROBILOTTO
FRANCESCO "FRANKIE THE WOP" GAGLIARDI
JAMES "JIMMY WARD" MASSI
ANTONIO PATERNO
DONATO FATICO
JOSEPH N. GALLO
VINCENT "JIMMY JEROME" SQUILLANTE
GUISEPPE "JOE SCALISE" SCALICI
MICHAEL "THE BULL" BARATTA
JOSEPH "JOE SCOOTCH" INDELICATO
ALEXANDER "THE OX" DIBRIZZI
NICHOLAS DIBENE
SALVATORE "SAM SCALISE" SCALICI
ANTHONY "TONY SPRING" ROMEO
FRANK "DON CHEECH" DABBENE
EDWARD "EDDIE OTTAWA" CONSALVO
MICHAEL "MIKE TALLEY" CAIAZZA
JOSEPH FLORINO
DOMINICK IDA
ARTHUR TORTORELLO
DOMINICK "JOE PITTS" PETITO
BENEDETTO MACRI
ANTHONY "TONY PLATE" PLATA
JOSEPH "JOE PINEY" ARMONE
FRANCESCO "FRANKIE BROWN" BONGIORNO
ETTORE "EDDIE DOLLS" DECURTIS
LUIGI MORICA
JOSPEH PATERNO
ANTHONY "NINO" GAGGI
CARMINE DELLACROCE
GIUSEPPE ANASTASIO
ALFRED "BIG FREDDY" EPPOLITO
GIACOMO "JACK SCALISE" SCALICI
EDWARD "EDDIE THE WOP" D' ARGENIO
SALVATORE "TODDO" AURELLO
FRANK PERRONE
ANTHONY COPPOLA
FRANK "FRANK MILLER" LUCIANO
PASQUALE MATRANGA
ARTHUR "ch*nk" LEO
PETER "PETEY PUMPS" FERRERA
STEVEN "STEVIE COOGAN" GRAMMUTA
MICHAEL CIRELLI
GIUSEPPE "JOE RIVERS" SILESI
THOMAS ALTAMURA
ETTORE "TERRY" ZAPPI
JOSEPH "GUS" COLOZZO
NATALE "CHRIS" RICHICHI
CARMELO LICONTI
WILLIAM "BILLY BATTS" BENTVENA
ALFRED IPPOLITO
PASQUALE CORBI
ALBERT SERU
FRANCESCO ALIVENTI
PETER "PETE O'BRIEN" SAVIO
CATALDO "CHARLIE THE ANIMAL" DELUTRO
ANTHONY "BIG TONY" VANELLA
GIOVANNI "JOHN SCALISE" SCALICI
CARMINE "CHARLEY WAGONS" FATICO
ANTHONY "THE GEEP" SEDOTTO
MICHAEL "MIKEY D" D'ALESSIO
ANTHONY "FAT ANDY" RUGGIANO
PETER "LITTLE PETE" TAMBONE
JOSEPH "JOE ROGERS" STASSI

gambino faction:
FRANK CASTELLANO
JOSEPH ZINGARO
EDWARD ARONICA
ROSARIO "SALVATORE" MEZZASALMA
MICHAEL "SKINNY MIKE" PECORARO
GUISEPPE LOPICCOLO
JOHN SCOTTO
EMELIO CANTALUPO
COSMO "GUS" FRANCO
SALVATORE RICCOBONO
GAETANO "GUY" RUSSO
JOHN "JOHNNY CONNETICUT" BUSSO
GUISEPPE "JOE THE WOP" GENNARO
IGNAZIO MANINNO
THOMAS MASOTTO
GUISEPPE "STATEN ISLAND JOE" RICCOBONO
SALVATORE "TOTO" SETTIMO
JAMES "JIMMY BROWN" FAILLA
ROCCO "ROGIE" MAZZI
GIACOMO "JACK" SCARPULLA
SALVATORE GUGLIELMINI
ANTHONY ROMANO
BARTOLO CASTELLANO
SALVATORE CURTO
FRANCESCO ALBERTI

Last edited by Dob_Peppino; 10/31/20 04:51 PM.

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano
Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #998060
10/10/20 09:45 PM
10/10/20 09:45 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
I am someone who doesn't believe in coincidence. In the movie Goodfellas
Joe pesci's Tommy character said specifically "You Bought your fucking button" to Bill Batts. Now I do realize that is a general statement that could be meant just to offend. Although I Don't have verification, I do believe
the member WILLIAM "BILLY BATTS" BENTVENA was apart of the crop of guys in the 50s who took advantage of Frank Scalise selling buttons for an allotted sum of money.

"Joe Bananas went after Carlo Gambino, the war went on for seven years..... When guys go to the mattresses, they're not out earning" -Tony Soprano
Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #998065
10/11/20 01:28 AM
10/11/20 01:28 AM
M
MightyDR Offline
Underboss
MightyDR  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted by Dob_Peppino
I am someone who doesn't believe in coincidence. In the movie Goodfellas
Joe pesci's Tommy character said specifically "You Bought your fucking button" to Bill Batts. Now I do realize that is a general statement that could be meant just to offend. Although I Don't have verification, I do believe
the member WILLIAM "BILLY BATTS" BENTVENA was apart of the crop of guys in the 50s who took advantage of Frank Scalise selling buttons for an allotted sum of money.

Yeah that was an interesting thing for him to say that made me come to the same conclusion, especially since Batts was supposed to be a member of the Gambinos.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: MightyDR] #998076
10/11/20 02:52 PM
10/11/20 02:52 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
@MightyDR
Right! Although it seemed of the cuff and improvised, it was way too specific of a statement considering who it was and what it was said about.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #998079
10/11/20 04:00 PM
10/11/20 04:00 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Very nice list of their early layout.

The only thing I'd say that Nino Conte, as well as Dave Amodeo and the Scalise brothers were part of, and leaned more toward the Sicilian faction of the Gambino brothers and other Palermo based allies.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: NYMafia] #998088
10/11/20 05:24 PM
10/11/20 05:24 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
Originally Posted by NYMafia

The only thing I'd say that Nino Conte, as well as Dave Amodeo and the Scalise brothers were part of, and leaned more toward the Sicilian faction of the Gambino brothers and other Palermo based allies.

When coming up with the list, I tried hardest to keep in line with what (based on the research) the allegiances were during that time, and not so much what we know about certain alliances that happen during the fallout or later in the history. For example, Scalise "could've" been put on either side but my thoughts is that we mostly hear about Anastasia having a large regime. I know alot of guys definitely came under Carlo's umbrella after 1957 but before that, many were with Albert. Like Nino Conte, I've seen things that suggested he was Very close to Anastasia. I could be wrong.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #998090
10/11/20 05:54 PM
10/11/20 05:54 PM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

When coming up with the list, I tried hardest to keep in line with what (based on the research) the allegiances were during that time, and not so much what we know about certain alliances that happen during the fallout or later in the history. For example, Scalise "could've" been put on either side but my thoughts is that we mostly hear about Anastasia having a large regime. I know alot of guys definitely came under Carlo's umbrella after 1957 but before that, many were with Albert. Like Nino Conte, I've seen things that suggested he was Very close to Anastasia. I could be wrong.

I understand your way of thinking. And I think you're largely correct. After all Frank Scalise was Alberts UB for years, so naturally his brothers fell in line as well. Joe, Jack and John Scalise.

But Antonino Conte and his son Patsy were staunch Sicilians. For that matter so was Dave Amodeo and the Scalise's, Scarpulla, Masotto and those others. As I wrote in Scarpulla's bio that I recently did many were related by blood /marriage as well. They dealt with Albert and respected him as "boss", but he was a Calabrian so in truth although they respected him, he wasn't their first choice to lead. He became leader though sheer force of power and bloodshed (Mangano) of course.

But once he clipped Frank Scalise whatever previous loyalty they had to Anastasia evaporated. At that point ALL Sicilians closed ranks and plotted his elimination. That's how and why Carlo Gambino rose to power.

And all those names I mention above were in solidarity with Gambino and the Palermo faction.

Last edited by NYMafia; 10/11/20 05:57 PM.
Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: NYMafia] #998095
10/11/20 06:13 PM
10/11/20 06:13 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
No argument here, I am in total agreement . Dave Amodeo and Rosario Dongarra and a few others alliances are more clear once you get into the 60s but alot of the info available can be vague about this period.
(Its funny that a definitive movie hasn't been done about New York CN from the late 40s to the mid 60s. So much happened, that would be a three hour epic, but I guess thats for another thread)

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #998175
10/13/20 12:54 PM
10/13/20 12:54 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
I find it interesting that nothing ever came out about Don Vincenzo Mangano 's death. Are we to assume that Anastasia didn't have too many people involved and it was sorta done in a quick fashion? Meaning he kinda didn't need to involve many Caporegime and knew everyone would just fall in line

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #998424
10/18/20 04:39 PM
10/18/20 04:39 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
@NyMafia
Why do you think Jimmy Jerome Squillante and Johnny Roberts Ribolotto didn't fall in line with Don Carlo?

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #999481
11/09/20 11:39 PM
11/09/20 11:39 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
any info on the rackets of Phil Mangano?

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #999488
11/10/20 08:45 AM
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

@NyMafia
Why do you think Jimmy Jerome Squillante and Johnny Roberts Ribolotto didn't fall in line with Don Carlo?

Squillante was Anastasia's boy. He tied his fortunes too Albert. And Johnny Roberts was all over the place. He was more Genovese oriented than Gambino oriented. He was originally "with" Tony Bender's crew until Albert absorbed him under his umbrella in Brooklyn. Albert personally made him, so he loved Albert. He was loyal, to a fault I guess.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #999489
N
NYMafia Offline
NYMafia  Offline

N

Mangano was the boss, so he had all the rackets. But in his era it would have typically been bootlegging and the Italian lottery.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: NYMafia] #999492
11/10/20 09:24 AM
11/10/20 09:24 AM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss

Mangano was the boss, so he had all the rackets. But in his era it would have typically been bootlegging and the Italian lottery.

I thought the Mangano brothers had their own interests in the docks?

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #999809
11/15/20 08:24 PM
11/15/20 08:24 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
@Chin_gigante. Can you elaborate on the BIONDO, RICCOBONO and DONGARRA connection? You said "possibly Carlo Gambino". If he wasn't fully involved how did he ascend to power?

Originally Posted by chin_gigante
Does anyone know why Profaci (Gallo and Perisco) are associated with the Anastasia Hit? I never understood the possible connection.

Gallo bragged about it in a bar to Sidney Slater a week after the murder happened. Said he, Joey Gioelli, Ralph Mafrici, Frank Illiano and Sonny Camerone did it. Peter Diapoulos later said that Joey and Larry Gallo did it on Profaci's orders and that was how they got straightened out. Then in the 1980s, Carmine Persico told his brother-in-law Fred DeChristopher that Gallo had lied about participating in it. Persico then took credit for it. Vincent Teresa and Bill Bonanno have repeated Gallo's claim that he was responsible. Teresa said that Genovese ordered the hit and assigned it to Tony Strollo, who got the Gallos in. The Gallos were then sent to Raymond Patriarca, who lent them John Nazarian and Nicholas Bianco for the hit.

Teresa's story is totally unbelievable nonsense. Diapoulos' claim that Profaci was in on it is also unfounded - there's nothing to suggest Profaci was involved in the conspiracy. Gallo's brag to Slater and Persico's brag to DeChristopher are also bullshit boasts. The hit came from within Anastasia's family, possibly with secret support from Genovese and Tommy Lucchese. Joseph Biondo, Joseph Riccobono and Charles Dongarra (and possibly Carlo Gambino) were the main instigators. Steve Grammauta and either Joseph Cahill or Arnold Wittenberg were the shooters.

Last edited by Dob_Peppino; 11/15/20 08:27 PM.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #999813
11/15/20 10:10 PM
11/15/20 10:10 PM
C
chin_gigante Offline
Capo
chin_gigante  Offline
C
Capo
PAUL: I thought that the Commission appointed the representatives.

SM: No sir!

BILL: That's what happened with - what's his name? - with Carlo Gambino. Wasn't it that way?

BILL: No, with Joe Colombo!

SM: No, not as far as we are concerned. Let me explain it to you. We appointed Carlo Gambino provisionally.

BILL OR PAUL: Huh?

SM: Wait a minute! We appointed him provisionally and, then, later the "borgata" made him. Carlo Gambino was made by the "borgata", not by the Commission.

PAUL: But you appointed him provisionally.

SM: Because there was a "pupu sbambato" (untranslatable. It means a "baby in his dotage.") Therefore, the first thing I did was to push (support) Carlo Gambino who was already the "consigliere" (advisor) of the"borgata." Therefore, there was Toto -- (unintelligible) -- Catone -- they consented; they talked to me and that's why Carlo Gambino was appointed. The Commission went along readily in order to keep these people from disbanding. There was Joe - what's his name? - Carlo's underboss -

BILL: Biondo!

SM: Joe Biondo. The others were there and the purpose was to keep them togeher. Once they were kept together, they had an opportunity to elect the boss they wanted. This was the principle - Carlo Gambino was made because he was "consigliere." He was pushed (supported) because he was familiar with everything; he knew the situation. That's what happened. Joe Bruno knew the situation. Joe Riccobono knew the situation and they pushed with their help.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=127672&search=%22Gambino%22_and+%22consigliere%22#relPageId=84&tab=page

Anastasia was going to kill Joseph Riccobono, Joseph Biondo and Charles Dongarra. Joseph Franko, a captain in this family, and a close friend of Anastasia learned of the plans to kill these three individuals and told them. Consequently, these three individuals plus Andrew Alberti, Joseph Gallo/ from Thirty Fourth Street, between Second and Third Avenues, NYC/ Steve Grammatula and Joe Cahill /not a member of the family, but highly respected/ got together and decided to kill Anastasia. Cahill and Grammatula were given the contract. [...] Riccobono advised Thomas Luchese and Vito Genovese that someone in his family had killed Anastasia. Riccobono requested a meeting be held so he could explain the shooting.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=125376&search=%22Anastasia%22_and+%22cahill%22#relPageId=8&tab=page

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #999815
11/15/20 10:39 PM
11/15/20 10:39 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Why did Gambino become Anastasia' successor if Riccobono, Biondo, and Dongarra did the heavy lifting?

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #999833
11/16/20 08:29 AM
11/16/20 08:29 AM
C
chin_gigante Offline
Capo
chin_gigante  Offline
C
Capo
Mr. ADLERMAN. At the time that Albert Anastasia was killed, who do you believe arranged for his murder?

Mr. VALACHI. I believe that Vito Genovese worked hand in hand with Gambino and Joe Bandi. In other words, they have the right to do something like this. If it appears that Vito Genovese had a hand in it, then it would be hard to explain. But being that Albert Anastasia was doing so much wrong and it was up to his own family to act, in other words, what I am trying to tell you is that Gambino, Joe Bandi, and the rest, whoever they may have been in on it, acted with the assurance of Vito Genovese backing them up.

Mr. ADLERMAN. Now, after Anastasia was killed - you don't know who did the killing, do you?

Mr. VALACHI. No. You mean the actual trigger men?

Mr. ADLERMAN. That is right.

Mr. VALACHI. No, I don't.

Mr. ADLERMAN. Do you believe that Genovese and Gambino and Bandi were behind it?

Mr. VALACHI. Yes.

Mr. ADLERMAN. But you have no proof of that?

Mr. VALACHI. No, sir.

(Organized Crime and Illicit Traffic in Narcotics. Hearings before the Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations of the Committee on Government Operations. United Ststes Senate. Part 1. 1963. pp. 348-349.)

Whoever killed Anastasia - and the indications were that it was men within his own Family - was not really my concern, but the concern of his Family. The identity of Albert's slayers was of interest to those who wanted to avenge his death. My main preoccupation was with the effects of Albert's death. On the Commission, Anastasia's demise benefited both Genovese and Lucchese, whose animosity toward Albert was well known. The man being mentioned to replace Albert as Father of his Family was Carlo Gambino. Lucchese and Gambino were very close; they were related because their children had intermarried. If Gambino was confirmed as Father, that would mean that on the Commission the liberal wing of Genovese-Lucchese-Gambino would form a united faction of equal voting strength with the conservative faction of Bonanno-Profaci-Magaddino. Just because Genovese and Lucchese benefited from Anastasia's death didn't necessarily mean that they had initiated it. However, the timing of Albert's death indicated that at the very least either Genovese or Lucchese condoned or did nothing to try to prevent it. [...] If I had been in the United States when Anastasia was killed, I would have moved very slowly. I would have given the people in Anastasia's Family time to resolve their leadership crisis. Perhaps someone other than Gambino might have emerged as Father if things had been left alone without outside interference. If I had been around I would have definitely lobbied against a national meeting. Such a conference would have the effect of giving official sanction to Gambino, pulling the rug out from under any dissidents within his Family. Of course, that's exactly what Lucchese and Genovese wanted.

(Bonanno, Joseph, with Sergio Lalli. A Man of Honor: The Autobiography of Joseph Bonanno. 1983. St. Martin's Paperbacks edition, 2003, pp. 207-208.)

After Anastasia's murder, the threat of a shooting war was in the air once more. The meeting that prevented such a war was held on November 9, 1957, at the home of a Genovese captain named Ruggiero "Richie" Boiardo in Livingston, New Jersey. [...] One group, the Anastasia loyalists, was represented by Aniello Dellacroce and Tommy Rava. The other group was represented by Carlo Gambino, consigliere of the Anastasia Family. As always, Gambino was aligned with Tommy Lucchese, head of the Lucchese family. At the meeting, Lucchese suggested that my father, as chairman of the Commission, appoint a temporary leader of the Anastasia family. This was a shrewd move by Lucchese, because a temporary appointment that was approved by the Commission was unlikely to be challenged. But it should be noted that the Anastasia Family had to grant the chair of the Commission this authority, or the Commission would have no power to act. And that is exactly what happened: The opposing parties - as well as Nino Conti, who had replaced Frank Scalice as Anastasia's sotto capo - agreed that my father, as chair, should name the temporary leader. Bonanno and the Commission accepted their decision, and the groups declared a truce. Although some speculated that Carlo Gambino may have had a hand in Anastasia's murder, there was no hard evidence against him, and my father chose Gambino as temporary leader of the Family, for a three-year term. However, he did so under three conditions: First, that Gambino report to a Commission member from time to time. (Tommy Lucchese, future father-in-law to Gambino's son, would fill this role.) Second, that neither Gambino nor any other group leader could arbitrarily be removed or replaced without Commission approval. And, third, that at the end of his probationary term, if everyone was happy, Gambino would become the permanent leader. That's exactly what happened. Some years later, I had the opportunity to ask my father why he'd chosen Gambino despite the suspicions that he may have been involved in Anastasia's assassination. My father's answer was short and blunt: "One needs much more than his masculinity to survive in this world of ours. One needs friends. We considered Gambino a generally peaceful person, somewhat servile, but one who would go out of his way to avoid conflict. We needed someone who could bring the various warring factions together and not tear them further apart. We did not need guts - what we needed was brains. Brains he had." As it turns out, my father's analysis was correct. In 1960, at a meeting in Ontario, California (we were in the state to attend that year's Democratic National Convention), we officially sanctioned Gambino as the head of the Family.

(Bonanno, Bill, and Gary B. Abromovitz. The Last Testament of Bill Bonanno. Harper Collins, 2011, pp. 186-188.)

The meeting was held at Richie-s farm /possibly Richard Boiardo/ in New Jersey. Riccobono advised those at the meeting the reason Anastasia had been killed, without identifying the killers and stated if he had been wrong in doing so, they could hold him responsible. At this meeting, in substance a trial, all responsible parties were pardoned, including Cahill and Grammatula. [...] Informant stated the Apalachin meeting was a continuation of the New Jersey trial or meeting so that the New York faction could advise the hoodlums from the other parts of the country the reason that Anastasia had been killed and that at the New Jersey meeting all responsible parties for the killing had been pardoned, including the killers.

(https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=125376&search=%22Riccobono%22_and+%22cahill%22#relPageId=10&tab=page)

The purpose of this meeting was to discuss the Anastasia killing. Informant advised the Commission members were "feeling the pulse" of the attendees. The Commission, of course, was aware Anastasia was slain but it appeared to the informant there was some confusion even among the Commission members as to why Anastasia was slain. From the way the "inquiry" made by the Commission went, informant got the opinion that some of the Commission members knew why Anastasia was killed but some did not. Informant pointed out the "inquiry" was completely in English. Carlo Gambino was among several speakers and he informed everyone that Anastasia was killed as he was using people from other "families" to kill people and he was killing some people who should not have been killed. Once the slaying of Anastasia was completely discussed it was decided to continue this meeting at another location. The location of the second meeting was decided by the Commission to take place in upstate New York at Joe Barbara's estate.

(https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc...24-10297-10003#relPageId=12&tab=page)

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #999966
11/17/20 01:37 PM
11/17/20 01:37 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Good post Chin. Carlo was also a sly one, willing to work with others and avoid conflicts as much as possible. Carlo Gambino was a Mangano supporter and never cared for Albert Anastasia tactics. Joe and Bill Bonanno said what they said, but they had seen the writing on the wall, Gambino had Genovese and Lucchese support, Bonanno, Profaci, and Magaddino were not going to play against them but allow Gambino to be on a probation period, if Carlo did anything wrong that was serious, the Commission would be able to remove him, not kill him, only if it warranted such a sanctioned hit.
Sidenote, Santo Trafficante was angry at what happened when he was in New York to talk to double A and was in the dark, afterwords he had a strong dislike for Joe the Blond.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #999982
11/17/20 03:32 PM
11/17/20 03:32 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
Who do you think Gambino could have been replaced with (power wise) during that time?

Secondly, Do you think Trafficante was used as a distraction or just coincidence? And why the beef with Gallo, I thought Anastasia was trying to muscle in on Trafficante territory in cuba?

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1000006
11/18/20 03:16 AM
11/18/20 03:16 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Joseph Biondo nickname was Joe the Blond same as Joe Gallo nickname. That is the confusion when people in somewhat of the know, knew who ordered it but did not know his real name. It was a joint hit, with Joe Biondo doing most of the feeling out of a few of the other families. Profaci and Bonanno were in the dark, there is some evidence around some of the Bonanno and Profaci members that hanged around Joe Armone that they most likely knew Double A was going to get hit and didn't say a word to their capos and administration members. Hope that clears up the Joe the Blond was behind it.

If Carlo Gambino was removed. Tommy Rava would have been the strongest contender for the spot, but they got rid of him fast. Let's say the events played out as they did in the Gambino family till 1959. Gambino is removed and the contenders are Joe Riccobono, Joe Biondo, Neal Dellacroce, Steve Armone(Charles Dongarro took over this crew when Armone died in 1960 and he himself was a powerhouse of his own) Giuseppe Traina (most powerful in connections with other families across the states and Italy and no one would have made a move on him, he did turn down the offer of underboss at least twice) Arthur Leo, Calogero DiCarlo and Vincent Squillante but he would not have lasted long either being stripped of the title or most likely still being killed.

Trafficante was used as an opportunity for the hitters.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #1000016
11/18/20 10:30 AM
11/18/20 10:30 AM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
Got it, I only knew Biondo as "Joe Bandy". I do tend to believe it was more in-house then the general narrative. This poses a question, that I'll ask in the Profaci thread.

Based on the candidates, and I don't know much on CHARLES DONGARRA (If you could expand on any info you know of.), I'd say TRAINA was best although he was long on the tooth at the time and didn’t want it. RICCOBONO and BIONDO were more likely.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1000065
11/19/20 02:29 AM
11/19/20 02:29 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Charles Dongarro also known as Rosario Dongarra, was part of Stefano Armone crew which was Joe Biondo old crew. He became Capo over Armone crew when Steve died. Born in Palermo in 1896. Was made by Salvatore D'Aquila. Known as a heavy hitter coming up and was close to Lucky Luciano, Joe Adonis, and Frank Costello in the Genovese family during those years. His closest allies and friends were Joe Riccobono and Agostino Amato. Moved to Brooklyn after the Castellammarese war, was in Manhattan. Big time drug dealer who supplied the local peddlers with large quantities. Had interests in dress and coat companies, a trucking business, a shipyard, had a partnership with Joe Rao in a unnamed business or service it peddled to. Outside New York, he had a few other interests, John Biondo in Connecticut, the Amatos in Florida, and Joe Paterno in New Jersey. Passed away in 1973, Joe Piney became Capo, it would have been Joe N Gallo, but he skipped up from soldier to Consigliere, shows how much clout that crew had back in the day.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1000070
11/19/20 09:22 AM
11/19/20 09:22 AM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
@Giacomo_Vacari
You have been one of my favorite wealth of knowledge on this board, and a great help in our understanding of the landscape of these Families, IMO.
I'm gonna throw some names your way, and if you don't know, then you don't but I am sure any info would be appreciated.
Guys I never heard of before this research:
Vincent "Jimmy" Crisalli
Anthony Rizzo
Joseph Franco
Pietro Stincone

Guys who's names we've seen but little we know of:
Domenico Arcuri
Natale "Chris" Richichi
Alfred "Big Freddy" Eppolito
Charlie "The Animal" DeLutro
Joseph Zingaro
Frank " Frank Miller" Luciano

I'm sure you don't know all, so go for what you know, I am particularly curious about Crisalli, Richchi and Zingaro.

Another note: I find it fascinating how connected Lucky Luciano. Its almost like he was associated with anybody who was remotely somebody
lol. His tentacles ran deep, it gets easier to understand his influence.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1000160
11/21/20 03:24 AM
11/21/20 03:24 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Domenico Arcuri- lived in Tampa, FL from 1906 till his 1924 naturalization, then moved to New York. He was made sometime in the mid 1910s which made him part of the Tampa family for a time, considering that his relatives were the Diecidue, he would have had no trouble becoming made down there. From 1924 to the end of the Castellammarese war, is believed to have been a member of DiBella and Profaci family before transferring to the Mangano family who were distant relatives. From the 1930s till 1950s before the FBN took notice of him, nothing is known about his activities. A soldier in Joseph Franco's crew. Lived in Brooklyn, owned a liquor store in Manhattan that took numbers and was frequented by known narcotic dealers. Became Capo when Carmine Lombardozzi was demoted in the 1960s by Carlo Gambino. Passed away in 1974, most likely retired a couple of years before and had his son Joe succeeded him.

Joseph Franco, I have very little information about him only that he succeeded Vincent Crisalli as capo who Anastasia made direct with him, Carmine Lombardozzi succeeded him, and was a conduit between New York and the Baltimore crew and was close to the Corbi family in Baltimore, had a brother Cosmo who was heavy into drug dealing who was believed to have been one of those marked for death by Anastasia. Passed away in 1957, most likely made in the late 1940s, he was not yet 40.

Vincent Crisalli- lived in Red Hook Brooklyn. Had tremendous power on the Brooklyn docks, hooked up with the Anastasia brothers in 1931. Was a member of the City Democratic Club. Owned a few restraunts over the years. Anastasia promoted him to Capo after Vincent Mangano disappeared, a chief suspect in his disappearance. 1956 became direct with Albert Anastasia, Joe Franco Succeeded him as Capo. Suspected of relying hits for Anastasia. Sidelined after 1957, passed away in 1971.

Frank Luciano- another I have very little info on. Was partners with Joe Valachi in a restraunt. The two would come to the carpet, where Valachi had assaulted another made member being Frank Luciano. Luciano had been stealing from the business. Paid a fine for it. Heavily suspected in narcotic dealings. Was a member of Joe Riccobono crew, before that he was a member of a unidentified crew, transferred for yet again stealing. Died in 1972.

Tony Rizzo. Made during the 1920s. Was a bootlegger, and jeweler by profession, which made him a good fence in stolen jewelry. Lived in Brooklyn. Was a member of Tommy Rava crew. Became a Capo of part of this crew by Carlo Gambino after Tommy Rava was killed. His son John became a member of the family. Passed away in 1962. Salvatore Aurello and Sammy Gravano would become capos of this crew later on.

I am tired, I'll post at a later time. Hope that is helpful.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1000163
11/21/20 04:54 AM
11/21/20 04:54 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Correction, Joe Franco was in his mid 40s when he passed away.

Pietro Stincone- Came up under Joe Biondo. Made in the 1920s. Lived in Manhattan until around 1930 where he had moved to Queens. Conflicting reports, (which many of these guys have, what fun going through it all) 1) when Frank Scalise was killed he was promoted to Capo in Queens. 2) he was made Capo in 1958. 3) he was made a capo by Mangano in 1950. Heavily involved in smuggling of narcotics from Sicily, ran a card and craps game, had a shylock, had interests in a restaurant in Corona, a flower shop, and a furniture store. Retired in the late 1960s when Joe Riccobono was no longer Consigliere. Passes away in 1977.

Joseph Zingaro- Born in Palermo Sicily in 1912. Made in 1952-1954. A member of the Gambino crew, was close to Paolo Gambino, heavy in narcotic, suspected of murder in the tri-state area. Visited Toronto with Paolo Gambino, was his driver and bodyguard, succeeded Paolo Gambino as Capo. Retired in the late 1980s when Petey Orange passes away. No clue who that is. Passed away in 1995.

Alfred Eppolito- Born in 1915, made in the early 1950. Had connections to Boston, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New Jersey. Made a Capo by Carlo Gambino. Was haunted by other members passes away in 1963.

The Animal I am drawing a blank, you may have misspell the name

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1000172
11/21/20 11:00 AM
11/21/20 11:00 AM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
This is fantastic information @Giacomo_Vacari. Highly informative. I have a few more if you are willing and if course have the info, don't worry I won't ask about "Petey Orange" lol (never remotely heard that name and what a nickname) maybe our friend @NyMafia can help I.D this Pete figure who died in the Late 80's?

So nothing on Natale Richichi? (He is like an anomaly to me, I can't find anything)

Stefano LoPiccolo
Arthur "ch*nk" Leo
Frank " Don Cheech" Dabbene
James "Jimmy Ward" Massi
Rocco Mazzi
Joseph "Joe Scootch" Indelicato
Anthony " Big Tony" Vanella
Anthony "Tony Plate" Plata

Thanks in advance, Giacomo_Vacari, you are a gentleman and a mob scholar as far as I am concerned!

Last edited by Dob_Peppino; 11/22/20 02:29 PM.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1000206
11/22/20 02:29 AM
11/22/20 02:29 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Cataldo "Charlie West" Delutro- Born in 1916. Living in Brooklyn from 1940s onwards. Made in the mid 1950s, his brother Anthony would be one of the last members made before the books closed. Known as a stick up man, his brother Pete was as well but was killed in Michigan in the 1940s after a robbery gone wrong. Never raised above soldier, believed to have reported to Frank Castellano Big Paul's father before being made and put into another crew, either Joe Riccobono or Carlo Gambino crew. Involved in narcotics smuggling while his brother Tony dealt it. Believed to have committed murders, said to have been given the contract on Al Eppolito, and a DeSimone both are said to have died of natural causes. 1971 Identified along with his brother as a soldier in Nino Gaggi crew. By the time Big Paul becomes official boss, his antics stop. Passed away in 1987, his brother Anthony would live another decade.

I have nothing on Natale Richichi except he took over part of Zappis crew, the part in Florida for 2 years till John Gotti forced him to step down and put in Lino.

Stefano LoPiccolo immigrated to New Orleans in the mid 1900s. By 1916 he was living in Brooklyn. He was one of Salvatore D'Aquila top lieutenants, after D'Aquila was killed he is only mentioned twice more as surviving an ambush near the end of the Castellammarese war, he was not the intended target, and selling his grocery store before returning home in 1932. Nothing more is known about him.

Joseph Indelicato, very little I have on him. His brother was Genovese soldier Anthony Indelicato who was killed in 1933. Joe was deported with a lot of other members in 1958. Listed as a Gambino member, but I believe he may actually have been a Genovese member due to his associations with a lot of identified members in that family. Cousin to Sonny Red Indelicato of the Bonanno family.

I have information on some of those members somewhere but not all of them, I do have Author Leo and Tony Plate info somewhere.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Dob_Peppino] #1000208
11/22/20 05:13 AM
11/22/20 05:13 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Correction LoPiccolo was Salvatore D'Aquila Consigliere. He had setup a hit for D'Aquila to gain more power in Queens.

My connection is weak, I do not have info on Dabbene and Vanella. I know. I have Tony Plate somewhere, just give me more time.

Re: The Mangano Crime Family circa 1945- 1957 [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #1000224
11/22/20 02:40 PM
11/22/20 02:40 PM
Dob_Peppino Offline OP
Underboss
Dob_Peppino  Offline OP
Underboss
Of course. I'll give you sometime.

I know Dabbene was a Baltimore guy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull