The guys that died of old age have to be considered the "great" gangsters i would think. My uncle was an irish guy in an italian world and i truly believe his career in that life was "successful" because he couldn't be made. His best friends were bosses and he was one of the few that operated on his own mostly and didn't have to kick up. He had a relationship with all 5 families and the westies but was considered if anything associated with the Italians. But since he passed on its amazing how many guys he was close with. As a family member we all know who he really was best friends with "cousins god parents". But i hear different people all the time. But he was super feared and a truly scary man to be on the wrong side of but he was smart as a whip. When all your friends are dead or in jail and your not a member of a shadowy organization, your not important. So you hang up your spurs and ride off into the sunset of life and get right with god. The old school new york mind set. Btw there were a lot of irish guys that were key players in la costra nostra in its hey day. The perceived italian and irish not getting along in the under world its not entirely factual. If you were irish growing up in an italian neighborhood, do as the Romans do. Also every book or documentary i have watched about Burke has his apprenticeship and grooming in the under world being under the wing of vario or Remy but its not true. His grooming was under irish mob boss hughie mulligan. Hughie was the acting boss of the irish mob for semi retired godfather eddie McGrath. Hughie was actually the stereo typical stay with your own kind boss and disliked italians unlike his predecessor mcgrath, who was very close with Costello,