GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Ben54), 64 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,105
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,381
Posts1,059,684
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950420
08/16/18 05:47 PM
08/16/18 05:47 PM
M
MeyerLansky Offline
Underboss
MeyerLansky  Offline
M
Underboss
So in 20 years from now we might see a new and improve LCN

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: NickyfromTampa] #950422
08/16/18 06:00 PM
08/16/18 06:00 PM
OurThing Offline
Button
OurThing  Offline
Button
Because the feds turned their attention to counter terrorism after 9/11? I thought it was kinda funny how the Sopranos touched on this.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: OurThing] #950448
08/16/18 08:59 PM
08/16/18 08:59 PM
NickyfromTampa Offline
BANNED
NickyfromTampa  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
Originally Posted by OurThing
Because the feds turned their attention to counter terrorism after 9/11? I thought it was kinda funny how the Sopranos touched on this.

There was a bit of a delay between when the Mafia busts really started to die down, but yes 9/11 seems to be when it slowed. However Mafia busts have domino effects that last for decades which is why the busts didn’t simply tail off straight after 9/11.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950455
08/16/18 09:09 PM
08/16/18 09:09 PM
K
kingoflittlenewyork Offline
Capo
kingoflittlenewyork  Offline
K
Capo
Has anyone read the updated/revised edition of Five Families? I believe he went into further detail/expanded on this concept, which was the original final chapter in the book.

Funny story. I was in college when that book came out(second oc book I ever read) and used to go to the bookstore to read it everyday. Anyway a girl I had a class with worked there and ended up buying me the book. Only catch was I had to leave it at her apartment lol.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: NickyfromTampa] #950456
08/16/18 09:16 PM
08/16/18 09:16 PM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
Originally Posted by NickyfromTampa
Originally Posted by MeyerLansky

Very hard to say, especially in this day and age. The Staten Island crews and some of the Jersey crews are almost all 90% Italian. You start seeing more diversity in Queens and the Bronx. There are certainly crews in those areas where the Italians are a minority. The life has changed a lot over the years.

So if that's true then the all mob (not only the bonanno's) are really making a come back since they lose their power in the late 80s/early 90s
Like i've been saying for a long time !

It's no secret the mob has been recovering, Meyer. The FBI now only has two New York crews fighting the Five Families. The Jan. 2011 "Mafia Takedown Day" was almost a grand finale for the feds because a few months after that was when they first dismantled the separate crews for each of the Five Families and merged the Colombos with the Bonannos once more, as well as reducing the amount of agents across the board to only 45. Two years later, that number plummeted to 25 and the Genovese squad was merged with the Bonanno/Colombo squad and the Gambino squad was merged with the Luccheses. Here's a New York Post article about the situation:
https://nypost.com/2013/06/20/feds-only-have-2-squads-left-to-combat-city-mafia-families/

That is from 5 years ago, and it has not slowed them down, look at all the arrests and convictions in the past 5 years. They don't like their funding and power taken for them, and one of the most cushiest jobs in the FBI is a Mafia assignment. They stay in a big city as opposed to backwoods area or a ghetto, a shootout is very rare, and most arrests are met with no resistance. They also get bigger budgets.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950459
08/16/18 09:29 PM
08/16/18 09:29 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Met with no resistance because they can just bail out with their blood money straight away. Which kind of defeats the purpose of resisting arrest.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: TheKillingJoke] #950468
08/16/18 11:52 PM
08/16/18 11:52 PM
NickyfromTampa Offline
BANNED
NickyfromTampa  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
@jace, busts against the Five Families have definitely slowed down. There is no disputing that whatsoever. The numbers don’t lie. I’ll see if I can find some figures when I get home, but I promise you that there is not the comprehensive attack against ALL five families that there once was. It seems the two squads focus on one entity at a time because that is all they can afford to do.
Whoever is in charge of the Colombos following the 2011 bust has had a reign unfettered by arrests for the longest time since the Colombo War in 1991. Liborio Bellomo, if he is still in charge, has had the longest reign unfettered by arrests since Chin. Frank Cali or whoever is running the Gambinos has had the longest unarrested reign since what - before Gotti? Bonannos and Luccheses have been hit relatively consistently but even Steve Crea had a decent reign as street boss/underboss for what it’s worth. We’re seeing less and less panels and interim leadership and more stable, longtime bosses, which really reflects the situation in New York.

Last edited by NickyfromTampa; 08/16/18 11:55 PM.
Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: NickyfromTampa] #950504
08/17/18 12:03 PM
08/17/18 12:03 PM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
@jace, busts against the Five Families have definitely slowed down. There is no disputing that whatsoever. The numbers don’t lie. I’ll see if I can find some figures when I get home, but I promise you that there is not the comprehensive attack against ALL five families that there once was. It seems the two squads focus on one entity at a time because that is all they can afford to do.
Whoever is in charge of the Colombos following the 2011 bust has had a reign unfettered by arrests for the longest time since the Colombo War in 1991. Liborio Bellomo, if he is still in charge, has had the longest reign unfettered by arrests since Chin. Frank Cali or whoever is running the Gambinos has had the longest unarrested reign since what - before Gotti? Bonannos and Luccheses have been hit relatively consistently but even Steve Crea had a decent reign as street boss/underboss for what it’s worth. We’re seeing less and less panels and interim leadership and more stable, longtime bosses, which really reflects the situation in New York.

I don't know if Bellamo is a boss, but I believe if he was they would have gotten him by now. The budget for th eMafia in New York is high, and that includes FBI, and the NYC police department organized crime squad. Add the 2 federal districts that prosecutors have to investigate. It's a lot.

Re: American mafia - Associates? [Re: jace] #950593
08/18/18 01:00 AM
08/18/18 01:00 AM
NickyfromTampa Offline
BANNED
NickyfromTampa  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
Originally Posted by jace

I don't know if Bellamo is a boss, but I believe if he was they would have gotten him by now. The budget for th eMafia in New York is high, and that includes FBI, and the NYC police department organized crime squad. Add the 2 federal districts that prosecutors have to investigate. It's a lot.

It's a lot, but it's a fraction of what it was.

The real big downsizing began in March 2011, and continued on from there. Now there are a total of 25 agents dedicated to fighting the Five Families in New York. Whatever their budget is, they simply don't have the manpower to get the job done.

Since the FBI began rapidly reducing the budget for the Mafia just after Mafia Takedown Day, there have been five Colombo family member indictments. Two of these were caused by guys flipping from Mafia Takedown Day. The other three were laughably low-level - acting capo Luca DiMatteo shaking down a tattoo parlor owner for a few hundred bucks a fortnight, a newly-made soldier selling drugs, and two soldiers involved in loansharking.
That's a seven year period I'm looking. Let's compare that to the previous seven years - 2004- March 2011. During that time, four acting bosses were arrested/indicted: Alphonse Persico, Thomas Gioeli, Ralph DeLeo, and Andrew Russo. There were a total of fourteen different busts during that time. The caliber of the charges were much bigger too. You had multiple murders lodged against Thomas Gioeli, Alphonse Persico. underboss Jackie DeRoss. Most were the products of serious, longtime investigation that went (at least) as high as snaring a caporegime, and took down entire rackets and enterprises, like the bust of Joseph Baudanza and his crew, or Theodore Persico and his waste-haulage shakedown guys, or Big Anthony Russo's crew in Mafia Takedown Day. You also had four capos flip during that time, plus one soldier.

The Genoveses have still been on the feds' radar, mostly because of their continued dominance in New York. The "East Coast LCN Enterprise" bust, as well as other various capo-level busts in New York and New Jersey have grabbed headlines. But still... ZERO acting bosses or administration members, apart from a long-imprisoned former acting boss. Compare this to the 2004-2011 period. Three active acting bosses and three imprisoned acting bosses, until the family had to move to a rotating panel to avoid the heat. Not to mention there were simply MORE arrests made during the 2004-2011 period.

The Bonannos are a family that, albeit they're definitely trying, can't seem to find their footing. From the March 2011-Today period, they've had four acting bosses arrested. That's a lot. They've also had two consiglieres arrested. A grand total of fourteen made-member busts. But they are still doing a helluva lot better than the previous seven years. That saw another four acting bosses arrested, but with far more severe charges. Murder charges that put Tony Urso, Michael Mancuso and Vincent Basciano go away for decades. The bust in January 2004 put away the acting boss, acting underboss, three capos, three former capos, two former acting capos, and thirteen soldiers go away in one clean sweep - busts like that have not happened since. Likewise, a bust in 2007 put away the acting underboss, acting consigliere, two capos, two acting capos, and three soldiers. Seventeen total made-member busts, often with a lot more defendants.

The Gambinos, from March 2011-Today, have not had any administration members arrested. In the previous seven years (2004-Mar. 2011), they had two acting bosses arrested, two former acting bosses, a consigliere (twice), and three acting underbosses. The Feb. 2008 roundup saw the entire street administration arrested along with six capos or acting capos, and seventeen soldiers.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull