GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (CNote, 1 invisible), 278 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,438
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,848
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,508
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,309
Posts1,058,352
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... #884999
06/08/16 05:28 PM
06/08/16 05:28 PM
Uk
T
Tonytough Offline OP
ba da bing
Tonytough  Offline OP
ba da bing
T
Underboss
Uk
Tony Caponigro?

It's mentioned that when summoned to the Triangle Social club, Chin asks Tony Bananas to explain himself & Tony looks at Funzi saying u gave me permission

Whereupon Funzi plays dumb and says "I told u to straighten it out not
whack the guy"

So two things happened, if Chin knew from the start there wouldn't be any need to question Caponigro. Funzi wanted the New Jersey bookmaking territory to himself and set up the triple cross

Or

Chin told Funzi to set it all up... But then if he did, he wouldn't have felt the need to
go after everyone involved so mercilessly.. Perhaps to cover his tracks and send a message "u can't whack a boss"

But personally I feel Funzi acted alone... Out of greed

Thoughts?

Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Tonytough] #885014
06/08/16 07:16 PM
06/08/16 07:16 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
Gigante maybe wasn't involved...But I ask myself whether Phil Lombardo was in it with Tieri?

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Tonytough] #885016
06/08/16 08:13 PM
06/08/16 08:13 PM
Montreal, QC
TheRedZone Offline
Button
TheRedZone  Offline
Button
Montreal, QC
Tieri was 76 years old then, so I don't know that the theory that he did it all on his own holds up too good, although he may well have initiated it, I still believe it was a top brass Genovese plot.

It made sense for them too, the Genovese knew they couldn't move in on the Bruno family and its prized north jersey territory because of its alignment with the Gambinos, and the fact that Caponigro had a very strong presence there which made his elimination a dangerous proposition. Extremely cunning plan and it worked to a tee.

Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Tonytough] #885035
06/08/16 10:46 PM
06/08/16 10:46 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
It was a Genovese plot, not a Funzi plot. Funzi Tieri wanted the Jersey bookmaking territory, yes, but if he'd gotten it, it would've benefited all of the Genovese , including the Chin with him being boss. A meeting was set up in NY prior while Carlo was still alive, Angelo Bruno was representing Tony Caponigro, long story short, Carlo ruled in favor of Bruno and Caponigro and Caponigro kept his bookmaking territory. After Carlo died, the Chin became the head of the Commission and the most powerful boss in NY. Odds are , Funzi & Chin collaborated with the Caponigro plot , as not only would the bookmaking territory add to the Genovese income, the removal of Bruno allowed Chin to place a boss in Philly that would be loyal to him. And that's exactly what happened. Bruno was removed, Phil Testa was pretty chosen by the Genovese to head Philadelphia and the Genovese family became very influential to the Philadelphia family. And Chin probably killed all those involved simply to save face and his reputation.

Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Tonytough] #885037
06/08/16 11:22 PM
06/08/16 11:22 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Carlo died in oct 76 tieri was his brooklyn friend i guess from a million aurgs on the board phil lombrdo was the reL boss. Scarpa swore it was tieri. I dont know but i kinda belive there was a genovese 3 top guys around when bruno got whacked fat tony chin and tieri o lombardo

Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Tonytough] #885038
06/08/16 11:23 PM
06/08/16 11:23 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

After i think tommy ryan eboli got killed the genovese where relly sneaky cause i tbink gambino wanted the hit nd they fell for his okay dokey

Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: SinatraClub] #885042
06/09/16 01:41 AM
06/09/16 01:41 AM
A
AllDay27 Offline
Capo
AllDay27  Offline
A
Capo
Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
It was a Genovese plot, not a Funzi plot. Funzi Tieri wanted the Jersey bookmaking territory, yes, but if he'd gotten it, it would've benefited all of the Genovese , including the Chin with him being boss. A meeting was set up in NY prior while Carlo was still alive, Angelo Bruno was representing Tony Caponigro, long story short, Carlo ruled in favor of Bruno and Caponigro and Caponigro kept his bookmaking territory. After Carlo died, the Chin became the head of the Commission and the most powerful boss in NY. Odds are , Funzi & Chin collaborated with the Caponigro plot , as not only would the bookmaking territory add to the Genovese income, the removal of Bruno allowed Chin to place a boss in Philly that would be loyal to him. And that's exactly what happened. Bruno was removed, Phil Testa was pretty chosen by the Genovese to head Philadelphia and the Genovese family became very influential to the Philadelphia family. And Chin probably killed all those involved simply to save face and his reputation.

Nice summary, this is very accurately what happened as I've come to understand it as well. Whether or not it was out of spite on Tieri's part over the initial ruling from Carlo can only be speculated on, however, Chin was certainly involved. As Leonetti's book describes it, Caponigro was summoned to the Triangle Club to answer in front of Tieri, Bobby Manna & Chin. Funzi definitely didn't pull this over on Chin I think saw him as replaceable and with good reason.

Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Tonytough] #885055
06/09/16 03:58 AM
06/09/16 03:58 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

According to Leonetti in "Mafia Prince," there were three reasons for the Caponigro set up by the Genovese family.

1. Testa, Scarfo, etc. taking over Philly mob swings their vote to the Genovese, which gives them more control of Commission.

2. Scarfo, etc. taking over Philly mob means he also takes control of HEREU Local 54 (which they were beefing with Bruno about) and that would benefit the Genovese who later received money out of the union from Scarfo.

3. Taking out Caponigro meant the Genovese could take over his gambling/loansharking operations in North Jersey (which they had beefed about in the past when Caponigro won the sitdown).

It certainly seems this was a power play by the top guys in the family and not just Tieri alone. Especially when you consider it was Chin's crew who took out Caponigro.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Tonytough] #885059
06/09/16 06:23 AM
06/09/16 06:23 AM
manchester uk
domwoods74 Offline
Underboss
domwoods74  Offline
Underboss
manchester uk
The Genovese family had Ralph blackie Napoli put in charge after caponigro was murdered , he was close to manna because they had been in jail together and part of the yardville 9

Last edited by domwoods74; 06/09/16 06:28 AM.
Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Tonytough] #885062
06/09/16 06:40 AM
06/09/16 06:40 AM
M
MightyDR Offline
Underboss
MightyDR  Offline
M
Underboss
On top of all that, when Gravano killed Johnny Keys, Keys blamed the problems in Philadelphia all on the Genovese family, Chin specifically.

"Vincent Gigante - had conned this Tony Bananas that the commission sanctioned the hit on Bruno. How the Chin conned the commission by volunteering to do an investigation and taking out Tony."
From Underboss

Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: pmac] #885063
06/09/16 06:50 AM
06/09/16 06:50 AM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: pmac
Carlo died in oct 76 tieri was his brooklyn friend i guess from a million aurgs on the board phil lombrdo was the reL boss. Scarpa swore it was tieri. I dont know but i kinda belive there was a genovese 3 top guys around when bruno got whacked fat tony chin and tieri o lombardo

Carlo died in 76, Bruno died in 1980. By this point I don't think Lombardo was "the real boss". Fat Tony was either AB, or they had the three man panel, either way, by the early 80's they were acting for the Chin. Chin's new book has him being named official boss around this time, '81 to be specific, and power was probably heavily leaning in his favor in 1980. To be more specific, from Fish Cafaro's testimony we know Fat Tony was removed from his AB position in 1981 after suffering a stroke, this decision was made by Chin, Lombardo, Bobby Manna, and Sammy Santora in conjunction. That was also the year Lombardo retired. So Chin was definitely boss some time in 81, and brought Salerno back to front for him.

Last edited by SinatraClub; 06/09/16 01:25 PM.
Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Tonytough] #885080
06/09/16 01:31 PM
06/09/16 01:31 PM
Merica
NickyWhip Offline
Capo
NickyWhip  Offline
Capo
Merica
The OP question of whether not Funzi Duped Chin - Based on what Leonetti says in Mafia Prince the answer is No.

According to the book, Manna asked Scarfo if there were problems down in Philly with Bruno would he be with Manna? Or something like that. Basically Manna tipped his hand to Scarfo that someone wasn't happy with Bruno.

So, by deduction, because there are no facts- Manna and tieri knew. Therefore Chin and Salerno knew

Boss of tha toilet!
Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Tonytough] #885081
06/09/16 02:05 PM
06/09/16 02:05 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Off subject that philly guy eugene milano took the stnd at chins trial. That was tieri and lombardo call with chin n manna as conduits seems like fat tony was probaly busy with the concrete club

Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Tonytough] #885086
06/09/16 03:17 PM
06/09/16 03:17 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
Gino Milano came in AFTER all that stuff happened. Therefore he wouldn't have any firsthand knowledge of anything Genovese related from the early 80's.

Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: NickyWhip] #885088
06/09/16 04:02 PM
06/09/16 04:02 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
Originally Posted By: NickyWhip
The OP question of whether not Funzi Duped Chin - Based on what Leonetti says in Mafia Prince the answer is No.

According to the book, Manna asked Scarfo if there were problems down in Philly with Bruno would he be with Manna? Or something like that. Basically Manna tipped his hand to Scarfo that someone wasn't happy with Bruno.

So, by deduction, because there are no facts- Manna and tieri knew. Therefore Chin and Salerno knew

Wait a minute: IF we believe the book, then Chin allegedly wasn't on it, otherwise why would he be surprised and ask Tieri "what is he talking about, Frank?" during their interrogation of Caponigro, while discussing the Bruno murder? I mean, there was no need to pretend, they were alone in the room in 4: Caponigro, Tieri, Gigante and Manna. If Gigante was on it, he could well admit it in those circumstances and tell Caponigro "we just duped you into killing Bruno but you will pay the price because nobody is going to know or believe you anyway".

Last edited by Dwalin2011; 06/09/16 04:40 PM.

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Tonytough] #885091
06/09/16 05:15 PM
06/09/16 05:15 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
I don't recall that sentence ever being in the book of Chin asking Tieri that. Not in Mafia Prince anyway. I'm almost certain that line of Chin asking Tieri "what's he talking about Frank" isn't written. In fact, in Mafia Prince, Phil Leonetti also says that Chin, Tieri and Bobby manipulated the whole thing, as seen here...

Quote:
"So Tieri strokes Caponigro along and all the while, Tieri, the Chin, and Bobby Manna are manipulating the whole thing. They want Ange dead so that my uncle gets the union, which benefits them. They also want Ange dead so that Philadelphia's commission vote goes with the Genovese and not the Gambinos, which benefits them, and on top of it, they want Caponigro dead so they can take his gambling and loan sharking operation, which is worth several million, which benefits them."

https://books.google.com/books?id=2KM_BA...tti&f=false

You got me, it is in there. Chin was probably being facetious, because he was definitely in on the plot, which Leonetti also attests to. Guess that was all a part of Chins genius.

Last edited by SinatraClub; 06/09/16 05:42 PM.
Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: SinatraClub] #885094
06/09/16 05:36 PM
06/09/16 05:36 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
I don't recall that sentence ever being in the book of Chin asking Tieri that. Not in Mafia Prince anyway. In fact, in Mafia Prince, Phil Leonetti also says that Chin, Tieri and Bobby manipulated the whole thing, as seen here...

Quote:
"So Tieri strokes Caponigro along and all the while, Tieri, the Chin, and Bobby Manna are manipulating the whole thing. They want Ange dead so that my uncle gets the union, which benefits them. They also want Ange dead so that Philadelphia's commission vote goes with the Genovese and not the Gambinos, which benefits them, and on top of it, they want Caponigro dead so they can take his gambling and loan sharking operation, which is worth several million, which benefits them.

https://books.google.com/books?id=2KM_BA...tti&f=false

Here is the page:
https://books.google.it/books?id=2KM_BAAAQBAJ&pg=PA94&lpg=PA94&dq=Funzi+Tieri+Mafia+Prince+Philip+Leonetti&source=bl&ots=GfQLsyaFfY&sig=954dp93vDIbWqC1kWlXanOOlCew&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=snippet&q=%22talking%20about%22%20frank%20caponigro&f=false

Quote:
So Caponigro says, "Funzi told me I had the okay, that the Commission approved the hit." So the Chin says, "Frank, what's he talking about?" And Tieri looks at Caponigro and says, "I told you to straighten it out, not to kill him."

Maybe Gigante was being ironic then, don't know...

EDIT: posted the wrong link initially, have checked it now page 95 anyway

Last edited by Dwalin2011; 06/09/16 05:40 PM.

Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Dwalin2011] #885096
06/09/16 05:43 PM
06/09/16 05:43 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
Don't know why doesn't the link work properly, it seems to have made the page wider with its length. Damn bugs...

Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Dwalin2011] #885111
06/10/16 03:05 AM
06/10/16 03:05 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011

Wait a minute: IF we believe the book, then Chin allegedly wasn't on it, otherwise why would he be surprised and ask Tieri "what is he talking about, Frank?" during their interrogation of Caponigro, while discussing the Bruno murder? I mean, there was no need to pretend, they were alone in the room in 4: Caponigro, Tieri, Gigante and Manna. If Gigante was on it, he could well admit it in those circumstances and tell Caponigro "we just duped you into killing Bruno but you will pay the price because nobody is going to know or believe you anyway".

I imagine the Genovese had to have plausible deniability because, as we know, Bruno was close to the Gambinos and would have seen the move for what it was if they believed Tieri had given the ok for the hit.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Tonytough] #885132
06/10/16 11:13 AM
06/10/16 11:13 AM
A
azguy Offline
Underboss
azguy  Offline
A
Underboss
I read that Bruno and Castellano were very tight, Paul was seen in Philly many times having dinner with Bruno. At the time Philly was on the commission, probably because of the Bonanno issues and sometime Bruno wouldn't even attend commission meetings and the Gambino's would carry his vote for him and they always went with whatever the Gambino's did. I'm sure the westside wanted to break up that little partnership.

"In onore della Famiglia la Famiglia e' aperta"
Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Tonytough] #885138
06/10/16 12:18 PM
06/10/16 12:18 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
I heard that too, but that Castellano would only go out there when Carlo was alive. Didnt hear much about him doing so afterwards.

Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Tonytough] #885145
06/10/16 03:15 PM
06/10/16 03:15 PM
A
azguy Offline
Underboss
azguy  Offline
A
Underboss
What I read was well after Carlo was gone, like early 80's. It was probably a win/win. Bruno had Paul on his side and Paul controlled a commission vote.

"In onore della Famiglia la Famiglia e' aperta"
Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Tonytough] #885161
06/10/16 05:51 PM
06/10/16 05:51 PM
Uk
T
Tonytough Offline OP
ba da bing
Tonytough  Offline OP
ba da bing
T
Underboss
Uk
The Gambino's
couldn't have been that close with Bruno during Paulie's reign? Considering it was the Gambino's that got John Stanfa his pass especially later on when Scarfo took over (okay it's never been establish if Stanfa was on on the hit)

But considering he was the driver and only got fragment injuries....
Not to mention Leonetti claims Stanfa was one of those that went to meet with the Westside but ducked out when they went to call him (Bobby Manna thought it was Scarfo himself) at the time

Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: azguy] #885166
06/10/16 06:41 PM
06/10/16 06:41 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: azguy
What I read was well after Carlo was gone, like early 80's. It was probably a win/win. Bruno had Paul on his side and Paul controlled a commission vote.

Bruno was killed much earlier than Castellano and as far as we know, other than a proxy vote maybe , Castellano did nothing for retribution or to get his commission vote back. So it doesn't seem like they were that close . May I ask , what is it that you read that said Bruno & Castellano had that much of a relationship?

And I used to think Stanfa was in on the hit, but I've since changed my opinion on that. Him being there doesn't mean he was in on it necessarily. Him and Bruno basically lived on the same 2 block radius, from what I've read on the hit. And Bruno asked Stanfa for the ride, Stanfa didn't just offer to do so. Had it not been for Stanfa's quick thinking, he probably would have been killed too, but as soon as he heard the shot and felt something hit his arm he opened his door and ran and never looked back. Yes he was seen in the hospital with Sindone and Salerno but they couldve easily been asking him to keep his mouth shut. And I think its only Anastasia who says Stanfa used to be seen by surveillance in NY with Caponigro, I don't know how true that is. Those within the Philly mob like George Fresolone don't believe Stanfa was in on it. So the jury is still out on that, it definitely hasn't been proven either way.

Last edited by SinatraClub; 06/10/16 06:51 PM.
Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Dwalin2011] #885376
06/13/16 09:18 PM
06/13/16 09:18 PM
Montreal, QC
TheRedZone Offline
Button
TheRedZone  Offline
Button
Montreal, QC
Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011

Actually the line about Gigante asking Tieri what the matter was about is simply the story that was given Scarfo by Manna. And the Genovese brass, while close to Scarfo, had no compunctions about lying to him on certain things (like the Castellano hit being approved).

Basically we only know about the likely triple cross of Caponigro based on Scarfo's connecting of the dots from what he was told by the Genovese, I don't think they ever spelled it out to him, he was just street-smart enough to put it all together in the grand scheme of things.

Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Tonytough] #929321
02/13/18 02:30 AM
02/13/18 02:30 AM
Quiet_Doms Offline
Capo
Quiet_Doms  Offline
Capo
Gigante, Salerno, Tieri and Manna were all in on the hit. Remember Manna asked Scarfo how would he feel if God forbid something were to happen to Bruno where would tge Families stand.

Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Tonytough] #929378
02/13/18 03:15 PM
02/13/18 03:15 PM
N
Neo Offline
Underboss
Neo  Offline
N
Underboss
Chin gave the order for Caponigro to be tortured. I don't think Chin knew anything and Frank and Manna set everything up.

Last edited by Neo; 02/13/18 03:16 PM.
Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: Tonytough] #929498
02/14/18 04:43 PM
02/14/18 04:43 PM
DiLorenzo Offline
Underboss
DiLorenzo  Offline
Underboss
If they killed a boss without getting their bosses approval, they would have been killed right along side Caponigro !!

Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: DiLorenzo] #929530
02/14/18 06:25 PM
02/14/18 06:25 PM
N
Neo Offline
Underboss
Neo  Offline
N
Underboss
Originally Posted by DiLorenzo
If they killed a boss without getting their bosses approval, they would have been killed right along side Caponigro !!

Frank and Manna didnt kill anyone, Tony killed Bruno. Chin really wanted to make an example out of Caponigro.

Re: Did Funzy Tieri dupe Gigante when he set up... [Re: azguy] #929554
02/15/18 12:30 AM
02/15/18 12:30 AM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted by azguy

Bruno was killed in 1980...so maybe late 70s.

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull