GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (BugsyM, m2w, chin_gigante), 329 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,493
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,925
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,335
Posts1,058,839
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why do made guys have to be 100% Italian? [Re: Neo] #934349
03/21/18 05:01 PM
03/21/18 05:01 PM
R
RollinBones Offline
Underboss
RollinBones  Offline
R
Underboss
Originally Posted by The_Marble_Guy
Originally Posted by RollinBones

I believe salemme was made by patriarca jr

Patriarca Junior??? I can't see that being true. Can Furio or anyone from Prov/Boston confirm this? Being from Prov I'd never heard that being the case.

just tellin ya what i read pal. read he was made after he got out of prison in the 80's, and it wasn't patriarca sr who inducted him. so it could only be patriarca jr., plus they were close.

Re: Why do made guys have to be 100% Italian? [Re: Neo] #934353
03/21/18 05:35 PM
03/21/18 05:35 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

saleemi testified infront of a senate commitee around 200? he told his whole story. he got out of state prison in feb 1987 he said he wanted to go strait but that was bullshit. ray yr called him down to providence in july 1987 he had a quick induction and that was it. he reported directly to ray jr which ruffled feathers in boston. im sure noo one gave a shit his mother was irish and bet noone thougth he would become the boss 4yrs later in 1991 after everyone was locked up. he was a hitman for the larry bione since the 60tys.

Re: Why do made guys have to be 100% Italian? [Re: Neo] #934355
03/21/18 05:42 PM
03/21/18 05:42 PM
R
RollinBones Offline
Underboss
RollinBones  Offline
R
Underboss
thanks pmac but i think we still need furio to confirm

Re: Why do made guys have to be 100% Italian? [Re: Neo] #934362
03/21/18 07:27 PM
03/21/18 07:27 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

i got a book its has his senate testmony in. he was in front of them to talk about dirty cops and fbi agents (john connely an crew) forgot book name its written by a former prosecutor friend of the family or some shit. salemmi said abunch of cheesy shit. he was the kings right hand man and such.

Re: Why do made guys have to be 100% Italian? [Re: Neo] #936959
04/10/18 03:24 PM
04/10/18 03:24 PM
M
matteodenaro Offline
Wiseguy
matteodenaro  Offline
M
Wiseguy
Was Frank Martines of philly mob fame a made guy? He was alledgedly Stanfa's underboss but his last name sounds Spanish or Mexican. Maybe his mother was Sicilian? Not much info out there on the guy.

Re: Why do made guys have to be 100% Italian? [Re: Neo] #936982
04/10/18 06:43 PM
04/10/18 06:43 PM
Rochester/Pittsburgh
FrankValenti Offline
The Sphinx
FrankValenti  Offline
The Sphinx
Made Member
Rochester/Pittsburgh
The original rule of Cosa Nostra was that made members had to be 100% Sicilian. Naturally, I suppose, as it is the Sicilian Mafia. That being said, when the Moustached Petes consolidated power in New York during the early 20th century, masterminds like Lucky Luciano realized they could make far more money, gain far more power and influence, and really run a far more vast enterprise by doing business with non-Sicilians. Luciano was good friends with Meyer Lansky of course and many Jewish mobsters were close business associates with LCN members. Also during this time, the books were opened up to Italian-Americans, even if their ancestry was traced back to the mainland rather than Sicily. It was a controversial move. The mobsters back home didn't like this and some in the United States like Vito Genovese looked down upon working with men who were not Italian (although he himself was somewhat of an outsider in the organization as a Neapolitan). By mid-century, La Cosa Nostra members were instructed to "keep it within the family" and members married relatives of other members to ensure their blood was "pure." Associates could still be of other ethnicities (but always of European descent ) however nobody powerful would be a non-Italian. This became the norm through probably the seventies or the eighties when the mob was in disarray. At this point the rules were bent to the point where any man whose father was Italian could be initiated into the organization. Notable examples of this include the aforementioned "Cadillac Frank" Selemme whose mother was Irish, John Junior Gotti whose mother was a Russian Jew and Tommy Del whose mother was Polish. The former two were acting bosses of their respective families which would've been unheard of during the early days. They would've been whacked along with whoever sponsored and made them by the Sicilians the second their ancestry was discovered.

This rule remains more complicated to this day. It truly depends on the family. Some are stricter than others when it comes to "purity." These days its hard to find someone who is 100% Italian anyway. La Cosa Nostra could not realistically remain a force to be reckoned with had it not been for this rule change, however the most widely accepted agreement I've seen is that a person's father has to be Italian.

Now there have been a few examples of men being made who had zero Italian ancestry. John Veasey was made into the Philadelphia Crime Family by John Stanfa despite being a non-Italian. Vito Rizzuto was notoriously the most lenient in regards to ethnicity when he was the boss of Montreal. He has made members into his family who were not Italian at all. It is almost unfathamable, but the fact remains Juan Ramon Fernandez, a Spaniard, and Raynald Desjardins, a French Canadian, were made members of La Cosa Nostra and this caused quite a bit of friction between Rizzuto and the Sicilians. Fernandez was actually murdered in Italy.

So the question of whether or not someone has to be 100% Italian to be made is a complicated one, but the short answer is "no."

Re: Why do made guys have to be 100% Italian? [Re: Moscone65] #937319
04/15/18 09:43 AM
04/15/18 09:43 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Originally Posted by Moscone65
He's just some Russian fan boy. It really makes me laugh when these random kids go around on the internet, blabbering on how the Russians are the toughest and most feared and biggest and blah blah blah. Like you said ciment, there is no proof to show the Russians are so powerful. Sure they may be very powerful in Russia, but so are the Italians in Italy, the mexicans in Mexico, triads in China, and so on so forth, so a point can't be made there, you have to look outside the country of origin. Outside of Russia, the Russians may have some power in eastern Europe, and a few guys scattered here and there in spain and some other countries but not nearly to the extent of the Italians. You got huge families in Canada, clans in germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Australia, Venezuela, other parts of South America and of course the United States where they continue to make headlines year after year. Where are the Russians? And don't give the Bs excuse that they are so secretive they can't ever get caught, because that's bullshit. They are just small and low-key so nobody in law enforcement really gives a shit about them. There's no heirarchies or anything I can really find anywhere for Russian groups in Canada or the US. What do the Russians have in the us? A few gavone's in Brighton Beach, and some outposts in Florida and LA. You can't even begin to compare that to the lcn, even it's weakened state today, that still has thousands of guys. The five families still dominate organized crime in New York City, the largest and arguably most important city in the us, and I would also say they are still the most important players throughout the whole east coast, chicago and detroit. (And arguably some other cities too). So I would definitely say the Russians are second tier to the Italians. The only reason people make them out to be big are because they aren't Italian and just want to bust the Italians balls. The same argument can be made for the other oc groups. Sure they are powerful in their home countries, but worldwide they aren't nothing like the Italians. And you gotta remember, countries like Mexico and China are less developed and more corrupt than Italy in the present day, so it's easier to do crime in these places.

Yes, Joey Merlino and the Philly mob's recent exploits show they are certainly not small fries when it comes to what criminal exploits they pursue, huh?

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Why do made guys have to be 100% Italian? [Re: Moscone65] #937320
04/15/18 09:45 AM
04/15/18 09:45 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Originally Posted by Moscone65
That's ridiculous and completely unfounded. The FBI love to publicly announced and brag when they bust organized crime rings, plus it makes the public know they are "doing something useful". I rarely if ever see them busting Russians, maybe one relatively smaller bust every few years, not even. Meanwhile there are multiple la Cosa nostra busts a year, a few small ones and usually one bigger one. And the lcn is a low key organization these days. If there were Russian mob busts in the us, people would likely be posting about them on this site, but there aren't because the Russian mob in the US mostly exists in the imagination of kids who don't know any better. Please stop trying to blow up these gavone's to be much bigger than what they really are, Russian OC in the United States is not that much.

You seem to be implying that the FBI etc. slack on the Russians, while ignoring the elephant in the room that is Hoover giving the mafia free rein and allowing them to become as powerful and omnipresent as they are today.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Why do made guys have to be 100% Italian? [Re: BensonHURST] #937321
04/15/18 09:50 AM
04/15/18 09:50 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Originally Posted by BensonHURST
It was very common back in the for Italians to change their names to try to fit in

I.E. I have a friend 100% Italian last name back in Italy was Oliveri his grandfather chaged it to Oliver to give their family a better chance at the American dream
That's what they thought at the time anyway

Steve Carell is actually of Italian descent. I think the family name was originally Carelli. Certain facial features should've given it away.

Guy Fieri's surname isn't actually Fieri, he changed it to honour his Grandfather.

I'd say there are a lot of mob guys we talk about who have a little Irish/WASP/Polish/Dutch etc. in them - but they're not going to shout it from the rooftops, are they?

People mix. They don't strictly fuck people who have the exact same family background as them; that hasn't been practical in over a hundred years.

Re: Why do made guys have to be 100% Italian? [Re: Neo] #937327
04/15/18 10:10 AM
04/15/18 10:10 AM
M
m2w Online content
Underboss
m2w  Online Content
M
Underboss
Was Frank Martines of philly mob fame a made guy? He was alledgedly Stanfa's underboss but his last name sounds Spanish or Mexican. Maybe his mother was Sicilian? Not much info out there on the guy.

in southern italy there are some spanish surnames, because south italy was under spain kingdom in the past
there are some people named martines, martinez, lopez etc.

Re: Why do made guys have to be 100% Italian? [Re: m2w] #937328
04/15/18 10:51 AM
04/15/18 10:51 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Originally Posted by m2w

in southern italy there are some spanish surnames, because south italy was under spain kingdom in the past
there are some people named martines, martinez, lopez etc.

Off the top of my head, prominent Italian footballers who had a parent who wasn't Italian include Christian Panucci (Czech), Riccardo Montolivo (German), and Pietro Vierchowod (Ukrainian); the great Paolo Maldini's family name was originally "Maldic", a Slovene name.

I think of other footballers like Sandro Cois and the great Gianluigi Buffon, and it reminds me of the time in Sopranos that Carmela accused her mother of being happy their name didn't end in a vowel.

Re: Why do made guys have to be 100% Italian? [Re: Moe_Tilden] #937329
04/15/18 11:14 AM
04/15/18 11:14 AM
M
Moscone65 Offline
Made Member
Moscone65  Offline
M
Made Member
I'm not talking about Philly or jersey my friend, I'm talking about Canadian guys, new York guys and Chicago. They are the real deal. If your trying to make a point of how you love Russians or something, get straight to it and stop beating around the bush.

Re: Why do made guys have to be 100% Italian? [Re: FrankValenti] #937412
04/16/18 01:22 PM
04/16/18 01:22 PM
Stubbs Offline
Capo
Stubbs  Offline
Capo
Originally Posted by FrankValenti
The original rule of Cosa Nostra was that made members had to be 100% Sicilian. Naturally, I suppose, as it is the Sicilian Mafia. That being said, when the Moustached Petes consolidated power in New York during the early 20th century, masterminds like Lucky Luciano realized they could make far more money, gain far more power and influence, and really run a far more vast enterprise by doing business with non-Sicilians. Luciano was good friends with Meyer Lansky of course and many Jewish mobsters were close business associates with LCN members. Also during this time, the books were opened up to Italian-Americans, even if their ancestry was traced back to the mainland rather than Sicily. It was a controversial move. The mobsters back home didn't like this and some in the United States like Vito Genovese looked down upon working with men who were not Italian (although he himself was somewhat of an outsider in the organization as a Neapolitan). By mid-century, La Cosa Nostra members were instructed to "keep it within the family" and members married relatives of other members to ensure their blood was "pure." Associates could still be of other ethnicities (but always of European descent ) however nobody powerful would be a non-Italian. This became the norm through probably the seventies or the eighties when the mob was in disarray. At this point the rules were bent to the point where any man whose father was Italian could be initiated into the organization. Notable examples of this include the aforementioned "Cadillac Frank" Selemme whose mother was Irish, John Junior Gotti whose mother was a Russian Jew and Tommy Del whose mother was Polish. The former two were acting bosses of their respective families which would've been unheard of during the early days. They would've been whacked along with whoever sponsored and made them by the Sicilians the second their ancestry was discovered.

This rule remains more complicated to this day. It truly depends on the family. Some are stricter than others when it comes to "purity." These days its hard to find someone who is 100% Italian anyway. La Cosa Nostra could not realistically remain a force to be reckoned with had it not been for this rule change, however the most widely accepted agreement I've seen is that a person's father has to be Italian.

Now there have been a few examples of men being made who had zero Italian ancestry. John Veasey was made into the Philadelphia Crime Family by John Stanfa despite being a non-Italian. Vito Rizzuto was notoriously the most lenient in regards to ethnicity when he was the boss of Montreal. He has made members into his family who were not Italian at all. It is almost unfathamable, but the fact remains Juan Ramon Fernandez, a Spaniard, and Raynald Desjardins, a French Canadian, were made members of La Cosa Nostra and this caused quite a bit of friction between Rizzuto and the Sicilians. Fernandez was actually murdered in Italy.

So the question of whether or not someone has to be 100% Italian to be made is a complicated one, but the short answer is "no."

John Veasey's mother was from Sicily.

Also, do we have proof that Desjardins and Fernandez were actually made? Fernandez could've just been a braggart and lying when he was in Sicily, saying he "sat at the right hand of God"... so did Lansky but he wasn't made.

"It wasn't very good parsley to begin with, and then the cat went and peed on it." -Sicilian proverb
Re: Why do made guys have to be 100% Italian? [Re: Neo] #937413
04/16/18 01:24 PM
04/16/18 01:24 PM
Stubbs Offline
Capo
Stubbs  Offline
Capo
Also, wasn't Michael Franzese adopted by Sonny as a baby? Do we know if he was actually of Italian blood?

"It wasn't very good parsley to begin with, and then the cat went and peed on it." -Sicilian proverb
Re: Why do made guys have to be 100% Italian? [Re: Stubbs] #937426
04/16/18 02:53 PM
04/16/18 02:53 PM
BillyBrizzi Offline
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Stubbs

That was a brilliant article.. Say what you want, but John Veasey is one tough son of a bitch!!

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: Why do made guys have to be 100% Italian? [Re: Stubbs] #937437
04/16/18 04:02 PM
04/16/18 04:02 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Also, wasn't Michael Franzese adopted by Sonny as a baby? Do we know if he was actually of Italian blood?

He looks reptilian. He's probably one of those lizard people that are related to the Bushes, the Rockefellers and the royal family.

Re: Why do made guys have to be 100% Italian? [Re: Moe_Tilden] #937444
04/16/18 05:27 PM
04/16/18 05:27 PM
BillyBrizzi Offline
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden

He looks reptilian. He's probably one of those lizard people that are related to the Bushes, the Rockefellers and the royal family.

How dare you speak so ill of such a sincere and honest Christian?!?

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull