GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (VanillaLimeCoke, Lou_Para, 1 invisible), 350 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,679
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,213
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,520
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,390
Posts1,060,012
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: West coast commision [Re: Ted] #953126
09/14/18 05:08 PM
09/14/18 05:08 PM
H
Hollander Offline
Hollander  Offline
H

Originally Posted by Ted
Mickey Cohen said that Lucchese and Dragna were relatives. Before going to LA Dragna did work with Gaetano Reina.

IDK, but Dragna and Reina were Corleonesi.

"The king is dead, long live the king!"
Re: West coast commision [Re: Jeremythejew] #953157
09/15/18 01:56 AM
09/15/18 01:56 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Originally Posted by Hollander
Originally Posted by Ted
Mickey Cohen said that Lucchese and Dragna were relatives. Before going to LA Dragna did work with Gaetano Reina.

IDK, but Dragna and Reina were Corleonesi.

Both Jack and Tom Dragna worked in East Harlem under Charles Salvatore Streva, who was a cousin of theirs and was working for the old Morello family who was also related to the family by marriage. Lucchese was related to Reina, who in turn was also related to the Dragna's mother side to the Rizzotto's, through his brother Antonio Reina. I would not be surprised if Gaetano Gagliano and the Dragna's were also related. There is gaps and the Dragnas may possibly be related to the Bonventre family of Castellammare and Ditato family who had members in both the Genovese and Lucchese crime families.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: West coast commision [Re: OakAsFan] #953162
09/15/18 05:13 AM
09/15/18 05:13 AM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Originally Posted by OakAsFan
Thanks, Vacari.

Have any info on Francesco Lanza's (James's father), who was the first boss of SF? There's hardly anything on the web about him. The book written a few years ago just cobbled together some public records that didn't reveal much. He had to have been connected to someone back east for him and his family to be recognized in the early 30s.

How about Scioritino and Cerrito in San Jose?

I know Dragna in LA had Lucchesse. Roselli always seemed to be in his corner, too.

Frank Lanza was connected to the Palermitani of New York City, which most members split into the Gambino and Profaci crime family. Vincenzo Mangano and Frank Scalise were early members and both would later join the Gambino family, with Frank being the boss for a short time, before Vincenzo officially become the boss of the family and Scalise becoming a Capo before he was bumped up to Underboss by Albert Anastasia. He may also be related to the Lanza of the Gambino crime family. The Genovese crime family represented S.F. on the commission from 1932 to 1936, Lanza was close to the Catania brothers, the LaPadura brothers, and the Terranova family in the Genovese. The boss position was still in dispute til 1932 until Malvese was killed. More than likely cause of the war in New York that spread across the county, Luciano and the Genovese crime family took it upon themselves to insure peace which makes a lot a sense in that regard.

The Sciortino Brothers were also under Charles Salvatore in East Harlem with the Dragna brothers. They too fled when Angelo Gagliano, cousin to Geatano Gagliano flipped. Vito and Tony settled in San Jose Goosetown with Tom Dragna for a while, which was San Jose's little Italy. Vito stayed, while the other brothers moved to S.F. and L.A. Vito's son Onofrio would become San Jose boss.

Joe Cerrito was made in the Profaci family after New Years day to end 1931. He was sponsored by Vincenzo Figlia who was also a made member of the Profaci family. He moved to San Jose in the early 1940s. His brother Salvatore would also be made into the Profaci family in 1952, sponsored by Salvatore Profaci brother Joe Profaci.

"I have this Nightmare. I'm on 5th avenue watching the St. Patrick's Day parade and I have a coronary and nine thousand cops march happily over my body." Chief Sidney Green
Re: West coast commision [Re: Jeremythejew] #953189
09/15/18 02:10 PM
09/15/18 02:10 PM
Green Grove Retirement Communi...
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Thanks again, Vacari. Great information.

I recall seeing a couple of Genoveses on one of the SF charts. I also saw some LaRoccas, which I assume could be a Pittsburgh connection. Never knew San Jose had so many ties to early Luccheses. I know the Bonannos were active in San Jose. As you said earlier, they'll all connected by family in one form or another.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: West coast commision [Re: Jeremythejew] #953208
09/15/18 06:16 PM
09/15/18 06:16 PM
Larry's Bar
Giacomo_Vacari Offline
Underboss
Giacomo_Vacari  Offline
Underboss
Larry's Bar
Don't forget that just because Frank Lanza had those connections, that it did not mean the guys under him did not have connections with other family. Lanza strongest supporters were the Aliotos of Milwaukee. The Genovese and LaRocca families had connections to Pittsburgh. The Sabellas had connections to Philly and Bonanno crime families. The Balistrieri family had connections to Kansas City, St. Louis, and Detroit. Infusino had connections to St. Louis, Cleveland and Profaci families. LaRusso had connections to New Jersey. The Maita family had powerful connections to Detroit, Buffalo, Bonanno and Profaci families. Trifiro had connections to Cleveland. Bottom line if the guys under Lanza felt he was not fit to be boss, they had the connections to remove him. I know I am forgetting others. When you look into the early members, you can see they formed connections. One of the big ones is when families immigrated to the U.S. one or two would go, then go back and return with their families. Also when they moved from city to city they pretty much took their whole family with them, but family members or a member might stay in the city they moved from. It is like how you see Hispanics, Latinos, and Asians do when they move here. In many ways they took care of their blood family and most of the time moved as one.

Last edited by Giacomo_Vacari; 09/15/18 06:19 PM. Reason: Clarifications

Re: West coast commision [Re: Jeremythejew] #953216
09/15/18 07:11 PM
09/15/18 07:11 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

I'm reading The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy and Jack Dragna and Mickey Cohen are both characters in it.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: West coast commision [Re: Moe_Tilden] #953244
09/15/18 10:13 PM
09/15/18 10:13 PM
BillyBrizzi Offline
Underboss
BillyBrizzi  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Moe_Tilden
I'm reading The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy and Jack Dragna and Mickey Cohen are both characters in it.

James Ellroy is one of my favorite authors. If you like his books, you really should check Don Winslow out Moe..

Come to think of it, I probably already told you this, or it was someone else.. But whatever the case, his books are superb..

Last edited by BillyBrizzi; 09/15/18 10:16 PM.

FORTIS FORTUNA IUVAT
Re: West coast commision [Re: Jeremythejew] #953250
09/15/18 11:24 PM
09/15/18 11:24 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Raymond Chandler's Phillip Marlowe novels used fictional characters based on Bugsy and Cohen. Chandler was actually around at that time in LA, and always in contact with people who knew the underworld.

James Ellroy is entertaining. He uses a revisionist setting of LA in that era. Very pro-cop, anti-everyone else, especially show biz people but even everyday civilians as well. Ellroy's always thought of LA as being the land of naive idiots. While growing up there, his mother, who he proclaimed to have been an alcoholic and sexually promiscuous, was murdered, so I can understand where he gets the chip on his shoulder. He dissed Chandler when speaking at the recent Noir City festival in LA, and received some boos and hisses. He didn't care.

"...the successful annihilation of organized crime's subculture in America would rock the 'legitimate' world's foundation, which would ultimately force fundamental social changes and redistributions of wealth and power in this country. Meyer Lansky's dream was to bond the two worlds together so that one could not survive without the other." - Dan E. Moldea
Re: West coast commision [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #953251
09/15/18 11:32 PM
09/15/18 11:32 PM
OakAsFan Offline
Underboss
OakAsFan  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted by Giacomo_Vacari
Don't forget that just because Frank Lanza had those connections, that it did not mean the guys under him did not have connections with other family. Lanza strongest supporters were the Aliotos of Milwaukee. The Genovese and LaRocca families had connections to Pittsburgh. The Sabellas had connections to Philly and Bonanno crime families. The Balistrieri family had connections to Kansas City, St. Louis, and Detroit. Infusino had connections to St. Louis, Cleveland and Profaci families. LaRusso had connections to New Jersey. The Maita family had powerful connections to Detroit, Buffalo, Bonanno and Profaci families. Trifiro had connections to Cleveland. Bottom line if the guys under Lanza felt he was not fit to be boss, they had the connections to remove him. I know I am forgetting others. When you look into the early members, you can see they formed connections. One of the big ones is when families immigrated to the U.S. one or two would go, then go back and return with their families. Also when they moved from city to city they pretty much took their whole family with them, but family members or a member might stay in the city they moved from. It is like how you see Hispanics, Latinos, and Asians do when they move here. In many ways they took care of their blood family and most of the time moved as one.

Thanks again. The last names tell the story. Seems all immigrant groups that migrated to California had a similar experience. The Irish had a lot of influence in California the early 20th century. I'm sure they built most of the Catholic churches and schools that Italians and later Latinos ended up populating. They were the only group that had the money and political influence to build them at that time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull