GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 277 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,438
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,508
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,334
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 38 of 155 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 154 155
Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: antimafia] #906078
02/03/17 08:07 PM
02/03/17 08:07 PM
C
Ciment Offline
Ciment  Offline
C

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-ne...icer-tossed-out

With all whats going on in Montreal, you also have corrupted cops fighting each other.

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: Ciment] #906080
02/03/17 08:50 PM
02/03/17 08:50 PM
A
antimafia Offline OP
Underboss
antimafia  Offline OP
A
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Ciment

With all whats going on in Montreal, you also have corrupted cops fighting each other.

From the article to which you linked:

Also, on Sept. 15, a Park Extension restaurant owned by Labos’s brother, Haralambos, was firebombed. Media reports on the arson fire alleged the restaurant was frequented by several organized crime figures. A police source confirmed this week Andrea (Andrew) Scoppa, 52, a leader within the Montreal Mafia who was charged in a cocaine trafficking case this week, was known to visit the restaurant.

Do you or does anyone else know whether there was speculation before this week that the firebombing of the restaurant might have been an attack by people opposed to Andrea Scoppa?

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: antimafia] #906081
02/03/17 09:04 PM
02/03/17 09:04 PM
C
Ciment Offline
Ciment  Offline
C

Originally Posted By: antimafia

From the article to which you linked:

Also, on Sept. 15, a Park Extension restaurant owned by Labos’s brother, Haralambos, was firebombed. Media reports on the arson fire alleged the restaurant was frequented by several organized crime figures. A police source confirmed this week Andrea (Andrew) Scoppa, 52, a leader within the Montreal Mafia who was charged in a cocaine trafficking case this week, was known to visit the restaurant.

Do you or does anyone else know whether there was speculation before this week that the firebombing of the restaurant might have been an attack by people opposed to Andrea Scoppa?

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/justic...-a-montreal.php

That is what this news article suggests. Resto Bar "Liege" is the name of the place.

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: Ciment] #906082
02/03/17 10:24 PM
02/03/17 10:24 PM
A
antimafia Offline OP
Underboss
antimafia  Offline OP
A
Underboss
^^^^
Thanks, Ciment.

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: eurodave] #906083
02/03/17 10:59 PM
02/03/17 10:59 PM
A
antimafia Offline OP
Underboss
antimafia  Offline OP
A
Underboss
Originally Posted By: eurodave
Joe Renda declared dead. He was the nephew of Gerlando Sciascia.

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/justic...eclare-mort.php

I've always thought Renda's wife's Facebook post to which I've linked below--she shared a news story--was curious. Tap/click on the link below; then click on the link to the news story she shared; finally, allow yourself to chuckle out loud.

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2468145395353&id=1603877775

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: antimafia] #906123
02/04/17 03:48 PM
02/04/17 03:48 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
Page not found, guess they already deleted it

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: antimafia] #906163
02/05/17 01:38 PM
02/05/17 01:38 PM
M
Marcow Offline
Button
Marcow  Offline
M
Button
You can go in your Facebook profil, and when you scroll down you can find the post in 2011 or 2012.

Yes this Link is death. I will not post open her facebook profil.

Regards

Last edited by Marcow; 02/05/17 01:42 PM.
Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: Marcow] #906173
02/05/17 04:02 PM
02/05/17 04:02 PM
A
antimafia Offline OP
Underboss
antimafia  Offline OP
A
Underboss
^^^^
All,

I didn't think to provide various links that will work on every platform and device.

The link below, which I originally provided, will not work on your laptop/desktop PC; however, the link should open up both in the Facebook app on your smartphone (at least on an Android device) and, if you so choose, in a new tab of your mobile browser:

https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2468145395353&id=1603877775

The link below should work on both your smartphone and your laptop/desktop PC:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2468145395353&id=1603877775

The link below should work on all platforms and devices:

https://www.facebook.com/betty.castiglione/posts/2468145395353

Here's another link in case anyone wants to save the following item to their own Evernote account:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s229/sh/1...e3321e5242344e4

So what was the news article that she linked to and recommended on November 24, 2011? See below.

http://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2011/11/24/lechiquier-de-la-mafia-encore-une-fois-secoue

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: Ciment] #906204
02/06/17 11:07 AM
02/06/17 11:07 AM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
What I find strange with the Montreal Bonanno made group led by Montagna(dead),which was comprised of Arcuri brothers(exiled)/ JoeRenda(dead)/Lopresti(dead)/Pietrantonio(wounded)/Gallo(dead), wanted to overtake the Rizzuto clan and did not have the muscle to do it.
Correct me if I am wrong but I did not see or read in the news, any retaliation from that group. They received a lot of incoming
but did not mount any substantial attacks.

They certainly had the muscle to remove both Nicolo Sr & Jr. from the picture, but as said, once they began to turn their targets onto the non-mafia members whom were once a part of Rizzuto's group, their retaliations stopped after Montagna tried to have Desjardins killed. After the point they were simply running scared.

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: antimafia] #906207
02/06/17 12:42 PM
02/06/17 12:42 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
I wouldn't say they had the muscle more than they finally had the balls to go after Nicolo and Nick. It wasn't like either was firmly entrenched somewhere and never went out. If anything, they were seen too much. At that time it seems nobody was ever going to go after the Rizzuto's until Nick was killed.

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: antimafia] #906211
02/06/17 01:17 PM
02/06/17 01:17 PM
C
Ciment Offline
Ciment  Offline
C

There is also another point to be considered here,if and when this feud between the Montreal Calabrian clan and the Rizzuto clan comes to an end or a settlement. What will become of the Arcuri clan ? Will they have a seat at the table ? The Arcuri's did betray both clans.
The Rizzuto's & company will certainly want their revenge.

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: Ciment] #906214
02/06/17 02:40 PM
02/06/17 02:40 PM
A
antimafia Offline OP
Underboss
antimafia  Offline OP
A
Underboss
There is also another point to be considered here,if and when this feud between the Montreal Calabrian clan and the Rizzuto clan comes to an end or a settlement. What will become of the Arcuri clan ? Will they have a seat at the table ? The Arcuri's did betray both clans.
The Rizzuto's & company will certainly want their revenge.

Are the Arcuri brothers even considered influential leaders in the Italian underworld in Montreal at the moment?

What confuses me is whether the eventual undisputed group of leaders in Montreal (undisputed for the most part) will consist of any made men or not. Which Italian groups in Quebec and Ontario will recognize the members of this roundtable as being the equivalent of made men? Because if these roundtable members are not made men, they can have their territory taken away by made men from other territories and can be killed by made men from other territories. On the other hand, made men in the Montreal Mafia and outside of Montreal started realizing at a certain point that the rules went out the window, i.e., made men are legitimate targets for assault and murder by non-made guys who didn't even obtain permission first to kill made guys. Who knows what claims Arcadi will make of the roundtable if he isn't made its leader, let alone be placed on it? In answer to his claims, the roundtable will probably clip him.

Are there other posters who, like me, think that the Montreal mob war would never have started if Sal Montagna hadn't been introduced to Raynald Desjardins?

I wonder, too, whether Desjardins and Mirarchi had planned from the very beginning to usurp power from anyone like Montagna who was going to make a grab for all the power. And was Desjardins hoping to see Mirarchi (not made) in the godfather role or Jos Di Maulo (made)? Assuming Di Maulo showed neutrality because he had no interest in getting involved in the war, do we think he was upset because his made status would be diluted if Desjardins, Mirarchi, and their loyalists achieved their goal of running Montreal? Or do we think that Di Maulo's made status didn't mean anything to him anymore, regardless of whether Desjardins was acting on his behalf?

By the way, are polls enabled for this forum? I'd like to create a poll asking posters what they think were the main catalysts for the war.

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: antimafia] #906227
02/06/17 04:27 PM
02/06/17 04:27 PM
Canada
E
eurodave Offline
Capo
eurodave  Offline
E
Capo
Canada
Although the media simplifies this whole dispute between two large factions, I personally believe tensions originate in a generational conflict within Montreals mafia with what I call the Sub-40 group.

This sub 40 group was opposing the established cupola, Renda, Rizzuto, Cun-trera, Arcardi etc.. , and wanted to establish itself and not have to pay tribute to the remnants of the Rizzuto clan after Colisee.

Think that Scoppa was in his early 40s when Colisee occurred, add to that Montagna, Arcuri, Lopresti, Colapelle and so many others who were subject to the Rizzuto clans tax and control within the Italian milieu.

These men, De Vito for example, were not willing to kick up and submit to men such a Nick JR and the second generation of Rizzuto clan members it seems. The bars and cafes that did not suffer any or if little molotovs between 07-12 were all part of the initial coallition and the sub 40 group.

Obviously Montagna accelerated tensions with other established players in Montreal.

Also I noticed another pattern, many members killed in the Rizzuto clan were above a certain age and part of a certain prestige.

Antimafia, as for Montagna and his role of effect, its undeniable that he may have propelled the coalition to overthrow the old regime. That being said, I had heard rumors that many in Montreal used him and his ego to fuel his ambitions.

Last edited by eurodave; 02/06/17 04:31 PM.
Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: antimafia] #906236
02/06/17 06:31 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Not sure who you are alluding to eurodave but I think that Desjardins initially respected Montagna and I doubt that he manipulated him into thinking that he would become the leader of Montreal. I think this was never the arrangement they made. Montagna was probably going to reorganize the Bonanno group while Desjardins and his group would remain independent. I base this on the fact that Desjardins texted Mirarchi that he had trusted Montagna and that the latter had betrayed him. I think that if anyone manipulated Montagna it would be the Arcuri brothers. It would be to their benefit if Montagna became the leader and perhaps they believed that they could influence him. This makes me think that they may have been the true instigators of the war, after all, they had introduced him to Desjardins knowing that he and his boys were necessary in order to go up against what was left of the Rizzuto group. It was the elder Arcuri who was or felt like being passed over by the Rizzutos after Violi was clipped. The Arcuris seemingly were never truly allowed in the Rizzutos' circle of trust like the other paesani from their village.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: antimafia] #906237
C
Ciment Offline
Ciment  Offline
C

I believe there are several contributing factors to this war.
They are:
1- D'Amico feud
This feud with the D'amico's was not by design or planned but it's implications and how it was handled made the Rizzuto clan look vulnerable. Other OC groups realized that if a small clan from Granby can cause so much unrest with all the kidnappings and ransoms then imagine how much damage larger groups can inflict.
2- Vito Rizzuto's arrest
These criminal groups have the same laws as that of the jungle, they can spot weakness in a herd and strike on those that are vulnerable. With Vito in prison they felt this was their chance to mount an attack. I am of the opinion that this war began after Vito's arrest.
3- Disgruntled drug dealers and old vendettas
The Rizzuto takeover in the late 70's was hostile. Many from the Cotroni clan were not pleased by this takeover. This set back indviduals like DiMaulo,Cotroni's,Gallo,Arcuri's and others who felt they deserved a bigger share of the pie. Drug dealers like Piccirilli & DeVito and the likes were not happy with the new administration. The Violi sons were also plotting their revenge.
4- Montagna's deportation (2009)
This brought the war at a higher level. It gave birth to the coalition of rivals against the Rizzuto clan. More high level targets were being killed.This coalition broke up and it gave Rizzuto an opportunity to mount a counter attack.
5- Rise of the Ndrangheta
In the early 2000's the Ndrangheta had risen to be one of the most powerful OC organization. Ontario benefited from this rise in power and it limited Rizzuto expansion into Ontario.
This expansion wave to Ontario has reversed course to the point that the Ndrangheta is supporting rival groups in Quebec.

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: Sonny_Black] #906239
02/06/17 06:41 PM
02/06/17 06:41 PM
Canada
E
eurodave Offline
Capo
eurodave  Offline
E
Capo
Canada
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Not sure who you are alluding to eurodave but I think that Desjardins initially respected Montagna and I doubt that he manipulated him into thinking that he would become the leader of Montreal. I think this was never the arrangement they made. Montagna was probably going to reorganize the Bonanno group while Desjardins and his group would remain independent. I base this on the fact that Desjardins texted Mirarchi that he had trusted Montagna and that the latter had betrayed him. I think that if anyone manipulated Montagna it would be the Arcuri brothers. It would be to their benefit if Montagna became the leader and perhaps they believed that they could influence him. This makes me think that they may have been the true instigators of the war, after all, they had introduced him to Desjardins knowing that he and his boys were necessary in order to go up against what was left of the Rizzuto group. It was the elder Arcuri who was or felt like being passed over by the Rizzutos after Violi was clipped. The Arcuris seemingly were never truly allowed in the Rizzutos' circle of trust like the other paesani from their village.

Sorry I didn't specify per say.

What I meant to say is that certain people including the Arcuris and others close to him , manipulated motivated and pumped him up, using him to a certain extent to further advance their own agendas.

Again this is what was being said at the time

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: Ciment] #906240
02/06/17 06:44 PM
02/06/17 06:44 PM
Canada
E
eurodave Offline
Capo
eurodave  Offline
E
Capo
Canada
I believe there are several contributing factors to this war.
They are:
1- D'Amico feud
This feud with the D'amico's was not by design or planned but it's implications and how it was handled made the Rizzuto clan look vulnerable. Other OC groups realized that if a small clan from Granby can cause so much unrest with all the kidnappings and ransoms then imagine how much damage larger groups can inflict.
2- Vito Rizzuto's arrest
These criminal groups have the same laws as that of the jungle, they can spot weakness in a herd and strike on those that are vulnerable. With Vito in prison they felt this was their chance to mount an attack. I am of the opinion that this war began after Vito's arrest.
3- Disgruntled drug dealers and old vendettas
The Rizzuto takeover in the late 70's was hostile. Many from the Cotroni clan were not pleased by this takeover. This set back indviduals like DiMaulo,Cotroni's,Gallo,Arcuri's and others who felt they deserved a bigger share of the pie. Drug dealers like Piccirilli & DeVito and the likes were not happy with the new administration. The Violi sons were also plotting their revenge.
4- Montagna's deportation (2009)
This brought the war at a higher level. It gave birth to the coalition of rivals against the Rizzuto clan. More high level targets were being killed.This coalition broke up and it gave Rizzuto an opportunity to mount a counter attack.
5- Rise of the Ndrangheta
In the early 2000's the Ndrangheta had risen to be one of the most powerful OC organization. Ontario benefited from this rise in power and it limited Rizzuto expansion into Ontario.
This expansion wave to Ontario has reversed course to the point that the Ndrangheta is supporting rival groups in Quebec.

On point

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: eurodave] #906241
02/06/17 06:54 PM
02/06/17 06:54 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

Sorry I didn't specify per say.

What I meant to say is that certain people including the Arcuris and others close to him , manipulated motivated and pumped him up, using him to a certain extent to further advance their own agendas.

Again this is what was being said at the time

That makes sense, that the people in his own group motivated and to an extent manipulated him trying to replace the Rizzutos knowing that they themselves were not in a position to do so.

Anyway, great analysis by all of you gentlemen.

Last edited by Sonny_Black; 02/06/17 07:05 PM.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: Sonny_Black] #906248
02/06/17 08:37 PM
02/06/17 08:37 PM
A
antimafia Offline OP
Underboss
antimafia  Offline OP
A
Underboss
La sentence de Mathieu Desjardins reste à 12 mois de prison

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/justic...s-de-prison.php

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: antimafia] #906278
02/07/17 09:10 AM
02/07/17 09:10 AM
A
antimafia Offline OP
Underboss
antimafia  Offline OP
A
Underboss
La boulangerie du défunt mafieux Moreno Gallo visée par un incendie criminel

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/justic...ie-criminel.php

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: antimafia] #906279
02/07/17 09:44 AM
02/07/17 09:44 AM
Canada
E
eurodave Offline
Capo
eurodave  Offline
E
Capo
Canada
Interesting to say the least.

Does anyone know if gallo has any sons or brothers that may be continuing his legacy ?

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: eurodave] #906280
02/07/17 09:59 AM
02/07/17 09:59 AM
C
Ciment Offline
Ciment  Offline
C

Does anyone know if gallo has any sons or brothers that may be continuing his legacy ?

He has a son Anthony Gallo and brother-in-law Tony Papa mentioned in the article below.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2015/09/08/comment-la-pegre-a-deja-infiltre-la-bourse

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: antimafia] #906282
02/07/17 10:24 AM
02/07/17 10:24 AM
C
Ciment Offline
Ciment  Offline
C

Gallo has switched over to Montagna's camp.
Are they after remnants of that camp ? Does it have to do with the sports book ?

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: Ciment] #906283
02/07/17 10:33 AM
02/07/17 10:33 AM
A
antimafia Offline OP
Underboss
antimafia  Offline OP
A
Underboss

He has a son Anthony Gallo and brother-in-law Tony Papa mentioned in the article below.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2015/09/08/comment-la-pegre-a-deja-infiltre-la-bourse

Ciment,

For years I also thought that Tony Papa was Gallo's brother-in-law because Papa was reported to be married to a Micheline Gallo, supposedly the sister of Moreno. But a couple of months ago I came upon a retraction in La Presse that stated Papa was not Moreno Gallo's brother-in-law. I'll try to dig up this item when I get home late tonight.

Another error about Tony Papa that I found on the Net is that he is sometimes confused with Antonio Papalia. We recall that Vito Rizzuto had connections to the Calabrian-Canadian brothers Roberto and Antonio Papalia, who at a certain point in their stock-promoter careers moved out to British Columbia. Papa, of course, is himself known as a stock promoter.

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: antimafia] #906285
02/07/17 10:46 AM
02/07/17 10:46 AM
A
antimafia Offline OP
Underboss
antimafia  Offline OP
A
Underboss
^^^^
I was able to look up the retraction by searching for it here at work. See

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s229/sh/3...fc05ebeee169f0b

Look for the red arrow. Everyone will likely have to zoom in on the Evernote item.

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: antimafia] #906294
02/07/17 12:57 PM
02/07/17 12:57 PM
C
Ciment Offline
Ciment  Offline
C

^^^^

Look for the red arrow. Everyone will likely have to zoom in on the Evernote item.

Thanks for the info.

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: Ciment] #906295
02/07/17 01:26 PM
02/07/17 01:26 PM
A
antimafia Offline OP
Underboss
antimafia  Offline OP
A
Underboss
^^^^

Thanks for the info.

You're welcome. I'm still curious to know why, years later, a number of journalists at various papers are reporting the same error.

Links below to English-language articles about the most recent firebombing. These articles, unlike the French ones, currently don't mention who owns the establishment. :-)

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/little-italy-pizzeria-hit-by-arsonists-again

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-little-italy-arson-pizzeria-1.3970009

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/arsonists-attack-little-italy-pizzeria-1.3274065

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: Ciment] #906326
02/07/17 11:59 PM
02/07/17 11:59 PM
C
Ciment Offline
Ciment  Offline
C

I got the following from a court document:

The applicant, Moreno Gallo, has been a permanent resident for a long time. He entered Canada in 1954 with his mother and sister at the age of eight. He has been married since 1969, and he and his wife have three children; They also have four grandchildren; All resident in Canada, as well as the applicant's mother and two sisters.

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: antimafia] #906336
02/08/17 08:49 AM
02/08/17 08:49 AM
C
Ciment Offline
Ciment  Offline
C

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/justic...eroport-pet.php

José McCarthy, who was wanted since police operation Magot- Mastiff that beheaded organized crime in Montreal 14 months ago, was arrested Tuesday night at Pierre Elliot Trudeau.

Re: Why the mob war in Montreal may be far from over [Re: antimafia] #906340
02/08/17 12:29 PM
02/08/17 12:29 PM
C
Ciment Offline
Ciment  Offline
C

^^^^

Thanks for the info.

You're welcome. I'm still curious to know why, years later, a number of journalists at various papers are reporting the same error.

I do find it annoying. One logical explanation may be the lack of resources. So when making references to other books, they naturally assume that the other authors have done their fact checking. I am not excusing them but merely trying to understand their rationale. It could also be a simple explanation of laziness on their part.

Page 38 of 155 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 154 155

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull