GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 141 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,860
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,318
Posts1,058,477
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: mchang93] #886897
07/03/16 09:33 PM
07/03/16 09:33 PM
B
barry Offline
Made Member
barry  Offline
B
Made Member
mchang93 I think you hit this very important chapter in mafia history.that was GAMBINO'S greatest feat, convincing the other families that BONNANO was the orchestrator of the murder plot.After APALACHIN ,Genovese and Bonnano were set to roll . or so they thought.

Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: hoodlum] #886900
07/03/16 10:29 PM
07/03/16 10:29 PM
North Jersey
ItalianIrishMix Offline
Underboss
ItalianIrishMix  Offline
Underboss
North Jersey
In the Mike Wallace interview from early 80's, his exact words when Mike called him out on this exact issue where something like, "If Carmine Galante deala drugs, he do it withouta my knowledge, Yes"

Last edited by ItalianIrishMix; 07/03/16 10:31 PM.
Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: BillyBrizzi] #886916
07/04/16 02:05 AM
07/04/16 02:05 AM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: BillyBrizzi
I'm reading Mafia: Last Secrets from Bill Bonanno at the moment..

He talks about all the Commission meetings in history he and his father attended. The 1956 meeting at Joe Barbera's house, the year before the notorious '57 one, was the first Bill himself attended he said.

He explains that there was a big fight between Giancana and Anastasia, because Giancana (at his first Commission meeting allegedly) said: ''When are you gonna kill Frank Scalise?''
Anastasia went beserk according to Bill and needed to be calmed down by his father Joe, the chairman of the meeting..

Bill explains that the remark was about the supposed button-selling racket, but I find it very strange that a guy like Giancana, not from NY and his first Commission meeting would challenge someone like Anastasia like that. But on the other hand, why would Bill lie about such a thing because in this case there's nothing to gain by it..

read in a few books that giancana did call Anastasia down on scalise, my understanding is from what I read, that scalise was bringing heroin through Chicago, scalise did get hit, heard two versions of why, 1--- he was selling membership in lcn,
2- he was selling heroin. I think its a fact that there was a major disagreement.
as far as joe bonnano goes, he was a rat, in one book he laid out the structure of the commission, which gulianni used to convict bosses. and that's a fact.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: hoodlum] #886926
07/04/16 03:30 AM
07/04/16 03:30 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline
C
Underboss
Chicago
@ mchang93

You summed up what I have thought for a long time as well. I'm always baffled as to why people ignore that alliance of marriages, and why they consider Bonnano a lightweight...

Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: hoodlum] #886932
07/04/16 08:50 AM
07/04/16 08:50 AM
mchang93 Offline
Capo
mchang93  Offline
Capo
Yep. No coincidence that Tommy brown and CG arranged a marriage no more then few years after Bonnano and Profaci had. Bonnano was boss unchallenged for 30+ years he was no jack ass as is popular belief. Everyone has to remember we usually only hear one part of story in history and that's 99.9% of the time the winners side of things.

Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: hoodlum] #886933
07/04/16 08:51 AM
07/04/16 08:51 AM
mchang93 Offline
Capo
mchang93  Offline
Capo
Yep. No coincidence that Tommy brown and CG arranged a marriage no more then few years after Bonnano and Profaci had. Bonnano was boss unchallenged for 30+ years he was no jack ass as is popular belief. Everyone has to remember we usually only hear one part of story in history and that's 99.9% of the time the winners side of things.

Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: hoodlum] #886934
07/04/16 09:50 AM
07/04/16 09:50 AM
mchang93 Offline
Capo
mchang93  Offline
Capo
Also if Joe B was such an ass clown as most seem to think then why was he consulted before Galante was hit? He was no push over people feared him for years after he lost "power" and I am sure for good reason.

Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: mchang93] #886973
07/04/16 07:39 PM
07/04/16 07:39 PM
R
Regoparker100 Offline
Made Member
Regoparker100  Offline
R
Made Member
Originally Posted By: mchang93
Also if Joe B was such an ass clown as most seem to think then why was he consulted before Galante was hit? He was no push over people feared him for years after he lost "power" and I am sure for good reason.

My guess is that since Galante was Bonanno's former underboss and protege, the other bosses (especially Funzi Tieri and Big Paul Castellano) sought Joe Bananas opinion on this matter.

The bosses (Castellano, Persico, Tony Ducks Corallo, Jerry Catena, Santo Trafficante, Funzi Tieri) held a Commission meeting, and all (except for Carmine Persico, who opposed the hit on Galante as he was good friends with him) voted to have Galante killed off. To do this, they got the approval of Rusty Rastelli, and may have asked Joe Bananas about the planned hit on Galante.

They may have sent emissaries (possibly Neil Dellacroce, among others), and Bonanno gave them the nod to have Galante killed off. It's also possible that the emissaries sent a veiled threat to Bonanno to stay in Arizona or face a similar fate like Galante. I'm sure Bonanno got the warning, and did nothing to prevent Galante from getting killed.

http://www.cosanostranews.com/2014/01/funzi-tieri-got-nod-from-bananas.html

Last edited by Regoparker100; 07/05/16 09:21 AM.
Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: hoodlum] #886990
07/04/16 10:45 PM
07/04/16 10:45 PM
M
MightyDR Offline
Underboss
MightyDR  Offline
M
Underboss
Joe Bonanno was definitely a huge power and smart guy in his time. He was named boss at 25 and held that title for 30 years. I know this was during the glory days as far as law enforcement pressure was concerned but that is still an amazing accomplishment.

Having said that, I don't buy the idea that he was consulted about the Carmine Galante hit before it happened and gave his approval. By 1979 Bonanno had no real power. I'm sure there were still some loyalists, but whoever was on his side was no match for one NY family let alone the whole Commission.

Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: MightyDR] #887275
07/07/16 12:46 PM
07/07/16 12:46 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: MightyDR
Joe Bonanno was definitely a huge power and smart guy in his time. He was named boss at 25 and held that title for 30 years. I know this was during the glory days as far as law enforcement pressure was concerned but that is still an amazing accomplishment.

Having said that, I don't buy the idea that he was consulted about the Carmine Galante hit before it happened and gave his approval. By 1979 Bonanno had no real power. I'm sure there were still some loyalists, but whoever was on his side was no match for one NY family let alone the whole Commission.

Agreed.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: hoodlum] #887281
07/07/16 01:16 PM
07/07/16 01:16 PM
ralphie_cifaretto Offline
Underboss
ralphie_cifaretto  Offline
Underboss
John Gotti Jr.'s book and Joe Bonanno's book are the two most self serving books I've ever read.

Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: Binnie_Coll] #912098
05/07/17 08:51 PM
05/07/17 08:51 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
Originally Posted By: BillyBrizzi
I'm reading Mafia: Last Secrets from Bill Bonanno at the moment..

He talks about all the Commission meetings in history he and his father attended. The 1956 meeting at Joe Barbera's house, the year before the notorious '57 one, was the first Bill himself attended he said.

He explains that there was a big fight between Giancana and Anastasia, because Giancana (at his first Commission meeting allegedly) said: ''When are you gonna kill Frank Scalise?''
Anastasia went beserk according to Bill and needed to be calmed down by his father Joe, the chairman of the meeting..

Bill explains that the remark was about the supposed button-selling racket, but I find it very strange that a guy like Giancana, not from NY and his first Commission meeting would challenge someone like Anastasia like that. But on the other hand, why would Bill lie about such a thing because in this case there's nothing to gain by it..

read in a few books that giancana did call Anastasia down on scalise, my understanding is from what I read, that scalise was bringing heroin through Chicago, scalise did get hit, heard two versions of why, 1--- he was selling membership in lcn,
2- he was selling heroin. I think its a fact that there was a major disagreement.
as far as joe bonnano goes, he was a rat, in one book he laid out the structure of the commission, which gulianni used to convict bosses. and that's a fact.

If he was selling heroin, he wasn't the only boss, or second in command to be doing so. So I find it somewhat unlikely that they'd kill him for that.

Last edited by SinatraClub; 05/07/17 08:51 PM.
Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: hoodlum] #912105
05/07/17 09:37 PM
05/07/17 09:37 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

It may be the worse mob book ever wrote. Just a steamy dump. It came out after godfather 2 movie rite board? Actualy it didnt come out till like 1980 something. I rember that paul castemalno book where there a wire in his house 82 hes talking about the book like its so bullshit. Wasnt it paul n joe gallo the consig. You know the bosses should have killed him for it cause rudy g said it was evidence after the commssion trial. Crazy. What a bad book any how full of 1 sided history. But j
He lived to 2004 i think crazy.

Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: hoodlum] #912106
05/07/17 09:40 PM
05/07/17 09:40 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Joe massino you renamed that family after yourself the balls in ya court. Rewrite history. Fuck even sal vitale but please not a raplh natale book. I seen at barnes n noble didnt even skim it for more than 2 min. Had a starbucks coffee had to run.

Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: hoodlum] #912191
05/08/17 07:02 PM
05/08/17 07:02 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
one thing stands out to me after reading all these posts, in realation to joe bonanno, i really think he did put out those contracts that columbo burned him on, i don't think magliocco had the cajones to attempt that dangerous plot. still a mystery to me how joe bonanno talked his way out of it, the post about giancana getting in albert anastasia's face at a commission meeting, is told in many books, "five families" "the don" [about giancana] the situation that existed was that scalise was running heroin through chicago, and giancana was furious, i think he did get in anastasia's face, but, it would seem like a dangerous move, and it's said in many articles that there was some selling of memberships, and it's said both anastasia, and scalise were heavily involved, in the book about appalachia, it was discussed. also in the book "havana nocturne" it's mentioned. and as to bonanno not mentioning galente, he must think he can pull the wool over everyone's eyes.... galente was one of the biggest heroin dealers in the U.S. and bonanno set it all up in sicily.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: ralphie_cifaretto] #912212
05/09/17 01:18 AM
05/09/17 01:18 AM
Philly Burbs
mikeyballs211 Offline
acting associate
mikeyballs211  Offline
acting associate
Underboss
Philly Burbs
Originally Posted By: ralphie_cifaretto
John Gotti Jr.'s book and Joe Bonanno's book are the two most self serving books I've ever read.

Shitt Ralphie when you're right, you're right... but u gotta add Ralph Natales book into this list too holy shit dude he makes himself seem like Lucky Luciano of the Delaware Valley

But Bonnanos pathetic attempts to dodge being a murdering, drug pushing gangsters and instead come up with that bogus horseshit about being a father to the family, upholding some honor and claiming he didnt know his UB Galante was one of the biggest Heroin imprters ever and the 56 Palermo meeting wasn't about setting up a drug pipeline is insulting to the viewer.. makes me sick... least guys like Anastasia. lucky, even gotti acknowledged what they were .. i can respect that.. but Bonnanos lower than them and deserves no respect and should absolutely be labeled a rat

"No, no, you aint alrite Spyder you got alotta fuckin problems"
Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: mikeyballs211] #912247
05/09/17 11:07 AM
05/09/17 11:07 AM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline OP
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline OP
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted By: mikeyballs211
Originally Posted By: ralphie_cifaretto

Shitt Ralphie when you're right, you're right... but u gotta add Ralph Natales book into this list too holy shit dude he makes himself seem like Lucky Luciano of the Delaware Valley

But Bonnanos pathetic attempts to dodge being a murdering, drug pushing gangsters and instead come up with that bogus horseshit about being a father to the family, upholding some honor and claiming he didnt know his UB Galante was one of the biggest Heroin imprters ever and the 56 Palermo meeting wasn't about setting up a drug pipeline is insulting to the viewer.. makes me sick... least guys like Anastasia. lucky, even gotti acknowledged what they were .. i can respect that.. but Bonnanos lower than them and deserves no respect and should absolutely be labeled a rat
THE COURT FINDS THE DEFENDENT JOSEPH BONANNO GUILTY ON ALL COUNTS!!

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: hoodlum] #912253
05/09/17 12:44 PM
05/09/17 12:44 PM
T
TheMechanic Offline
Made Member
TheMechanic  Offline
T
Made Member
The book was published in 1983, written in the years leading up to that time (late 1970's/early 80's). I'm guessing a lot of what he wrote had to be filtered to of course try to wash his hands of the heroin epidemic he and Galante helped facilitate, but also to probably avoid any type of subpoena or possible charges relating to Galante (pre/post mortem). There was no benefit to him telling his story with Galante as a character, even though it's a huge, gaping hole. I think mentioning such a current player like Galante, the way he was taken out, and the investigation following, Bonanno was probably advised just to leave him out of the story by his legal representatives, just guessing though.

Last edited by TheMechanic; 05/09/17 01:23 PM.
Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: hoodlum] #912297
05/09/17 10:04 PM
05/09/17 10:04 PM
M
MightyDR Offline
Underboss
MightyDR  Offline
M
Underboss
I have to say, even though there are huge lies and omissions in Bonanno's book, I did find the parts about the Castellamarese War and mob politics of the glory days interesting.

Re: Joseph Bonanno's misnomer [Re: hoodlum] #912352
05/10/17 02:33 PM
05/10/17 02:33 PM
B
Beenaround Offline
Capo
Beenaround  Offline
B
Capo
Originally Posted By: hoodlum
I, 4 the 14th time, have just re-read Joe Bonanno's " A Man Of Honor", & I am behooved at the fact that , that self serving old fuck praises himself to the fact of lying thru his teeth about not having anything 2 do w/ narcotics, but not ONCE IN THE WHOLE BOOK DOES HE MENTION THE NAME CARMINE GALANTE.. how stupid does he think people are?? the fuckin,guy was his underboss at 1 point, am i wrong?? what do u guy's think?? we all know the stories of carmine going 2 italy 2 secure a MAJOR deal 2 get heroin into the states in the 50s,let alone the shit he went into canada truly for...what a fuckin'bullshitter this guy was ..& his self serving son "bill'..look @ the facial expressions on the old man's face when questioned by mike wallice on the 60 min. interview back in 83,u can find it just by google j.b......a man of honor my ass..
Bonnano and his Son have always been a joke..I'm surprised the Family is still around especially with his name..What a waste ..

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull