GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Irishman12), 244 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,438
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,508
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,336
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Print Thread
Did Michael really love Kay? #856574
08/18/15 02:16 PM
08/18/15 02:16 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
This question was stimulated by a discussion in the Talia Shire thread. Did Michael really love Kay? Your views and explanations?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: Turnbull] #856622
08/18/15 06:26 PM
08/18/15 06:26 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
TB, I distinguish between loving someone and being in love with someone. You fall in love with your spouse just as I did and still do everyday. Michael was definitely not in love with Kay.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: Turnbull] #856653
08/18/15 11:01 PM
08/18/15 11:01 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
I'm not sure if Michael loved anyone. It comes through more clearly in the book, but he's an extreme rationalist (and quite a narcissist). Apollonia may have been "loved" by him as an ideal of the mafia woman, just as Kay was an ideal of the respectable woman. The relationships would look very different, but only because men and women played different roles in the two worlds.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: Turnbull] #856907
08/20/15 06:02 PM
08/20/15 06:02 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I think that pre-Sollozzo Michael loved Kay as a rebellion against everything the Corleone Family stood for. She was an escape hatch, a path to a different life.

After he returns from Sicily with his big five year plan to legitimacy, I think he loved everything that Kay stood for: that WASP lineage that no money can buy. She brought something to the table that he could never achieve. She was educated, beautiful, American (in the DAR way), and she would be an asset by his side in his new legitimate role.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: Turnbull] #856937
08/20/15 07:33 PM
08/20/15 07:33 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I can't believe it; Babe posted again. Madonne!

As I posted above, I don't think Michael was in love with anyone. You know, some people just plain don't love and he may have been one. In any case, I think that several of us recognize that Michael's relationships with women always had an ulterior motive.

Last edited by olivant; 08/21/15 04:40 PM.

Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: olivant] #857052
08/21/15 01:40 PM
08/21/15 01:40 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
My view:
Michael certainly loved Kay before he got involved in the family business. We see it in a deleted scene from GF in which he and Kay are cavorting, playfully, in a NYC hotel room just before he learns Vito has been shot. But, his experiences after that hardened him and stripped him of sentimentality. His "courtship" of Kay in New Hampshire was more of a business negotiation (exemplified by Michael's looking like a pint-sized banker with that ridiculous Homburg hat, and being followed by a limo). His "love you/need you" was emotionless. It was pretty obvious that he saw Kay as an important to him only or mostly as an important stepping stone to "legitimacy," not as the object of his love and passion--much less anything like the "thunderbolt" that hit him when he first saw Apollonia. He continued to use and manipulate Kay throughout the rest of GF and II, ultimately slamming the door in her face, as Talia Shire reminded us in another thread.

And yet...

...by III, he's back to courting Kay again. Why? Did he see reconciling with Kay as the last step in his getting out of Mafia life and becoming truly legitimate? Was he looking to manipulate Kay yet again as a late-life personal triumph? Or, did he find his early love of Kay somehow rekindled? I'm inclined to agree with Pete and Oli that Michael was too narcissistic, suspicious and manipulative to truly love any woman, but I'm not dismissing the possibility that Kay was an exception.

Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: Turnbull] #857497
08/24/15 05:48 AM
08/24/15 05:48 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
For me Michael sincerely loved Kay because yes was the opposite of the sicilian women that his father want Mike marry; Kay was blonde,indipendent and go to university.

I think that Michael loved more Apollonia and with her death the Michael feelings become to die; yes "love" Kay but the abortion would certainly killed her, if weren't for the sons.
I think that the feelings of michael are dead or dormant during the two movies.
When in Sicily in the third mvie Michael tries to regain Kay, he does so only because would remember the old days when they were young and happy.

Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: Turnbull] #857514
08/24/15 01:47 PM
08/24/15 01:47 PM
North America
Mr. Blonde Offline
Capo
Mr. Blonde  Offline
Capo
North America
I agree with the consensus sentiments so far; he did love Kay before Vito was shot. He may have been attracted to her because she was so WASPy and outside the norm from an Italian second-generation point of view. Getting involved with her would have rubbed his family the wrong way, which was a plus. But once all of those superficial elements were met and he got to know Kay, he came to genuinely love her.

Post-Appolonia, he was so affected by her death that he would never allow himself to love in that way again. Sure, he loved his parents, he loved his children, but he closed himself off to passionate love.

Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: Turnbull] #858463
09/01/15 05:51 PM
09/01/15 05:51 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
I don't think he loved Kay. He probably was one of those scumbags who only love their children and treat the woman who bore them just like a tool to have offspring. On the other hand, I am not even sure he loved his children either, maybe he wanted to keep them with him and not give them up to Kay only because he felt they were his "property" and felt "disrespected".

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: Turnbull] #858467
09/01/15 06:18 PM
09/01/15 06:18 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
His "courtship" of Kay in New Hampshire was more of a business negotiation (exemplified by Michael's looking like a pint-sized banker with that ridiculous Homburg hat, and being followed by a limo).

lol lol lol lol

I've seriously been laughing for five minutes.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: Turnbull] #859476
09/09/15 03:02 PM
09/09/15 03:02 PM
D
donplugconnected Offline
Made Member
donplugconnected  Offline
D
Made Member
no michael didn't really love kay BUT he did care for her. michael is a perfect example of a person with an anti-social disorder. he didn't really love anyone except his kids at that and maybe his family being his sister in godfather 3. he used kay as he used many other people in his life. then again in godfather 3 it seemed like he really did care about her and love her BUT at the same time idk.

ma tongue hold life my belt hold death.
make em bite the dust when they hit the floor.
4-5 to there chest us folk from gangsterbb aint playing.
we smoke everyone in this b word like a hookah now.
stupid steve hit the corner shooting.
Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: Turnbull] #865656
11/04/15 09:44 PM
11/04/15 09:44 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
"(exemplified by Michael's looking like a pint-sized banker with that ridiculous Homburg hat, and being followed by a limo)."

That line really cracked me up. lol lol lol I thought the scene was effective. I think Mike was trying to show that he was going to be legitimate in five years, and he wanted to dress the part.

I guess he went back to the old ways in Nevada when the uniform of the day was " oily hair -- dressed up in those silk suits - and try to pass yourselves off as decent Americans."

Last edited by johnny ola; 11/04/15 09:48 PM.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.
Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: Turnbull] #865928
11/07/15 09:27 PM
11/07/15 09:27 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
New York vs. southwest fashion. Also, when he returns to NY to visit Pentangeli, he's formally attired.

Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: olivant] #865932
11/07/15 10:38 PM
11/07/15 10:38 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Originally Posted By: olivant
New York vs. southwest fashion. Also, when he returns to NY to visit Pentangeli, he's formally attired.

I always felt that Michael intentionally always tried to break away from the stereotypical "gangster" persona. He preferred Packards and Chryslers over Cadillacs. He was always fashionably dressed, never flashy like his brother Fredo. He never acted like a "wiseguy". Remember he was educated at the prestigious Ivy League school Dartmouth.

Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: johnny ola] #865997
11/08/15 11:11 PM
11/08/15 11:11 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline OP
Turnbull  Offline OP

AZ
True in most respects, Johnny. But, his Tahoe estate was worthy of the turn-of-the-century Robber Barons, if not mid-century Mafiosi. That's how he thought of himself: a "Captain of Industry." tongue

Since you mentioned cars (an old favorite subject between you and me): FFC was fanatical about details, and nowhere more than in his selection of cars. Note that, when Kay is stopped from leaving the compound, she'd driving a plain-Jane '57 Buick Special wagon--not the higher-end Century wagon. On the other hand, when Michael returns to Tahoe, he's being driven in a '58 Chrysler Crown Imperial limo--one of only 36 made by Ghia of Turin, and, at ~$13k, the most expensive domestic car of the year.

Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: Turnbull] #866000
11/08/15 11:42 PM
11/08/15 11:42 PM
Tampa, Florida
johnny ola Offline
Underboss
johnny ola  Offline
Underboss
Tampa, Florida
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
True in most respects, Johnny. But, his Tahoe estate was worthy of the turn-of-the-century Robber Barons, if not mid-century Mafiosi. That's how he thought of himself: a "Captain of Industry." tongue

Since you mentioned cars (an old favorite subject between you and me): FFC was fanatical about details, and nowhere more than in his selection of cars. Note that, when Kay is stopped from leaving the compound, she'd driving a plain-Jane '57 Buick Special wagon--not the higher-end Century wagon. On the other hand, when Michael returns to Tahoe, he's being driven in a '58 Chrysler Crown Imperial limo--one of only 36 made by Ghia of Turin, and, at ~$13k, the most expensive domestic car of the year.

Yes "Captain of Industry", is exactly right. I will again suggest that his going to Dartmouth helped fashion his goals in business. That is not a school you go to, to find employment at the local Wendy's as the night manager.

No denying that Mike wasn't afraid to spend money, when it came to the comfort of his family. My curiosity was peaked and did a search of the house. This is just one of the many sites that offer pictures of the property.

https://homes.yahoo.com/photos/photos-co...0609336906.html

Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: Turnbull] #867582
11/23/15 10:41 PM
11/23/15 10:41 PM
New York, NY
Questadt Offline
Button
Questadt  Offline
Button
New York, NY
I think at the time that Michael and Kay were married, and for at least several years thereafter, Michael did love Kay...as much as he was capable of doing so. During the last scene between Michael and Vito, when Vito asked "Your wife and children, are you happy with them?", and Michael answered "Very happy", I think he was sincere.

Whether or not that love would qualify as "love" according to the standards of anyone else, particularly Kay herself, and especially as the marriage began to fall apart later, is a separate issue.

"A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns."
Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: olivant] #869586
12/13/15 06:38 PM
12/13/15 06:38 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

He may have loved Kay,but his true love was Apollonia..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: DE NIRO] #869588
12/13/15 07:55 PM
12/13/15 07:55 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
He may have loved Kay,but his true love was Apollonia..

I wonder what would have happened if Apollonia had not been murdered?

Michael would have had a tougher time trying to fit in the WASPY world of Lake Tahoe?

Kay was the backup plan.

Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: Turnbull] #869618
12/14/15 01:31 PM
12/14/15 01:31 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

One thing that always confuses me his when Kay asks Michael how long he had be back, Michael says "I've been back a year. Longer than that, I think".

Would he not know how long he had been back in America or did he not want to tell Kay exactly..

Last edited by DE NIRO; 12/14/15 01:59 PM.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: DE NIRO] #869620
12/14/15 01:40 PM
12/14/15 01:40 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
One thing that always confuses me his when Kay asks Michael how long he had be back, Michael says "I've been back a year. Longer than that, I think".

Would he not know how long he had been back America or did he not want to tell Kay exactly..

I actually like when he does that. I think that in that moment he's moving from sugarcoating things again to telling Kay the truth, even if it's just for this one conversation.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Did Michael really love Kay? [Re: DE NIRO] #869727
12/15/15 11:44 PM
12/15/15 11:44 PM
New York, NY
Questadt Offline
Button
Questadt  Offline
Button
New York, NY

Would he not know how long he had been back in America or did he not want to tell Kay exactly..

What's remarkable to me is that Kay never made a stink about this fact; nothing like: "WHAT??? You've been back for more than a year, and you're only now getting around to seeing me? How many other girls did you date, before you finally worked your way this far down the list?" Or something to that effect...

Then again, perhaps this would have been out of character for a woman of the mid-20th Century, raised to be submissive and traditional - as opposed to the more...independent and assertive women of today.

~ Q

Last edited by Questadt; 12/15/15 11:44 PM.

"A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns."

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull