GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Mafia101, 1 invisible), 593 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,081
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,373
Posts1,059,539
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #729768
07/26/13 12:03 AM
07/26/13 12:03 AM
B
bronx Offline
Underboss
bronx  Offline
B
Underboss
he wanted to leave his mark in history, movies about him..keeping his legacy living long after his death ..john's ego was that big..see marion video's he plays to the camera's..he knows they will be shown .. on tape he speaks loud and clear..like he is defining coda nostra. he had to know that place may be bugged.20 agents every day by that club.

Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #729899
07/26/13 12:56 PM
07/26/13 12:56 PM
Alabama
D
dixiemafia Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
dixiemafia  Offline
ROLL TIDE!!!!!
D
Underboss
Alabama
I respect Gotti for standing up for what he believed in. No way his ego lets him flip. Lets not forget he still had family involved with LCN who could have been hurt if he flipped.

In the governments eyes yes he was the biggest fish, but IF he flipped, he could have brought down the WHOLE Gambino family which if I'm a prosecutor I would want more. Taking Gotti down didn't really kill them at all, it was testimony that hurt them most not losing the boss. But in those days I just don't see the feds even trying to get him to flip as he flat out made himself "the target".

Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #729909
07/26/13 01:40 PM
07/26/13 01:40 PM
Your Mom's House
Jimmy_Two_Times Offline
Underboss
Jimmy_Two_Times  Offline
Underboss
Your Mom's House
He might have been a poor boss and an unsavory character, but I give him props for embracing the "life," and living up to its rules.

Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #730011
07/26/13 07:06 PM
07/26/13 07:06 PM
M
mulberry Offline
Underboss
mulberry  Offline
M
Underboss
Gotti was a real gangster and could have been a very good boss if he was smart enough to keep his mouth shut. The Gambinos were very strong back then and I doubt any of the capos would have ever flipped on him. The entire case and Gravano flipping was all due to him getting caught on tape. He knew they were trying to bug him and he knew what happened to the bosses in the Commission Case just 5 years earlier, yet he was too arrogant and stupid. If he had only talked in the Ravenite with all the music and noise drowning out his words or did the walk talks then he could have lasted another 10 years or so. Other than Gravano, none of the Gambino capos in that era ever flipped.

Last edited by mulberry; 07/26/13 07:18 PM.
Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: SonnyBlackstein] #730030
07/26/13 07:38 PM
07/26/13 07:38 PM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
Originally Posted By: SonnyBlackstein
Originally Posted By: Chicago
Getting enough support to kill a Boss in New York takes Big Fucking Balls.

Wrong.

Gotta whacked Paul out of fear.
With Angelo's trial coming up and the drug dealing tapes coming to air, it was kill or be killed.

That's not balls. That's a coward.

+1 Skinny. Ego is why he didn't flip.

And yes the FBI would've taken him. Look at Massino.

so he's supposed to let himself get killed by a boss with disgruntled troops?

Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: cookcounty] #730061
07/26/13 10:47 PM
07/26/13 10:47 PM
M
mulberry Offline
Underboss
mulberry  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted By: cookcounty

Wrong.

With Angelo's trial coming up and the drug dealing tapes coming to air, it was kill or be killed.

I guess if someone is planning to kill you, your brother, and your friends, and you kill him first, then you're a coward. whistle

Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #730065
07/26/13 11:18 PM
07/26/13 11:18 PM
Eastern Europe
S
Slava Offline
Button
Slava  Offline
S
Button
Eastern Europe
Why would anyone want to flip in his position? It wasn't so much about the mafia code anymore, he had to keep his own personal reputation alive. He must have known that there will be discussions, movies and books about his life even decades after he's gone and I'm sure that kept him happy even when in jail.

Last edited by Slava; 07/26/13 11:20 PM.
Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: mulberry] #730069
07/26/13 11:37 PM
07/26/13 11:37 PM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: mulberry
Originally Posted By: cookcounty

Wrong.

I guess if someone is planning to kill you, your brother, and your friends, and you kill him first, then you're a coward. whistle

The obvious point is he did what he did because he HAD too. It was FEAR that motivated him. Not courage.

True 'balls' and true LCN would've been taking the rap. Broken down, hit, whatever. He'd broken many rules and instead of taking the rap, lashed out. He was a cornered dog who reacted. He wasn't true LCN (drugs, sleeping with other men's wife, backstabbing gravano)
He was a self serving ego maniac.

Last edited by SonnyBlackstein; 07/26/13 11:39 PM.

MORGAN: Why didn't you fight him at the park if you wanted to? I'm not goin' now, I'm eatin' my snack.
CHUCKIE: Morgan, Let's go.
MORGAN: I'm serious Chuckie, I ain't goin'.
WILL: So don't go.
Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: SonnyBlackstein] #730072
07/26/13 11:58 PM
07/26/13 11:58 PM
M
mulberry Offline
Underboss
mulberry  Offline
M
Underboss

The obvious point is he did what he did because he HAD too. It was FEAR that motivated him. Not courage.

True 'balls' and true LCN would've been taking the rap. Broken down, hit, whatever. He'd broken many rules and instead of taking the rap, lashed out. He was a cornered dog who reacted. He wasn't true LCN (drugs, sleeping with other men's wife, backstabbing gravano)
He was a self serving ego maniac.

Let me know who hasn't broken LCN rules.

You have choices when you are threatened. Anybody would have feared Castellano. A coward would have flipped. A coward would have let his brother and friends get whacked. He did what a true gangster does when threatened. If he was self-serving, he would have flipped and done the TV and book circuit like Gravano and Leonetti.

What would you have done if you were in Gotti's shoes?

Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: mulberry] #730074
07/27/13 12:02 AM
07/27/13 12:02 AM
Illinois
C
Chicago Offline
Underboss
Chicago  Offline
C
Underboss
Illinois
I would have killed Castellano. Case closed.

Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: mulberry] #730079
07/27/13 12:31 AM
07/27/13 12:31 AM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
He did what a true gangster does when threatened.

Really? Have a read about my namesake. Dominick Napolitano.
That's balls and honour.

If he was self-serving, he would have flipped and done the TV and book circuit like Gravano and Leonetti.

Gottis wasn't self serving? Mate if you truly believe that then there's nothing I can say.

All Gotti ever was, was self serving.

MORGAN: Why didn't you fight him at the park if you wanted to? I'm not goin' now, I'm eatin' my snack.
Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: SonnyBlackstein] #730081
07/27/13 12:53 AM
07/27/13 12:53 AM
Illinois
C
Chicago Offline
Underboss
Chicago  Offline
C
Underboss
Illinois
Sonny, You should have belonged to the Genovese Family. Boy, You really hated Gotti.
Well, Answer Mulberry's question. What would you have done if you were Gotti?
Do not make another remark until you answer the question. I want to hear your honorable answer. LOL

Last edited by Chicago; 07/27/13 12:54 AM.
Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: Chicago] #730082
07/27/13 01:02 AM
07/27/13 01:02 AM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
Well of course I'd like to think that I'd be a true believer and eat a pill like my namesake.

But most of us would hit first.

But does that make it honerable? No. Does it make it courageous? No. Does it make him cowardly for not accepting punishment for your trangressions against the boss and the family? Yes.

The point being Gotti was a self serving ego maniac who is the antithesis of what LCN is about.

That's not balls, in my book.

Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: SonnyBlackstein] #730085
07/27/13 01:23 AM
07/27/13 01:23 AM
Illinois
C
Chicago Offline
Underboss
Chicago  Offline
C
Underboss
Illinois
Fair enough. You take the pill and commit suicide and I'll take my chances and kill Castellano, who wants to kill me over a couple of guys in my crew dealing in drugs, even though he received drug money tribute from other guys.

Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #730090
07/27/13 01:37 AM
07/27/13 01:37 AM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
Hey, if you can't do the time...

Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: SonnyBlackstein] #730098
07/27/13 02:59 AM
07/27/13 02:59 AM
Illinois
C
Chicago Offline
Underboss
Chicago  Offline
C
Underboss
Illinois
Like you know, like you've had to make those kinds of choices in life. Sonny, you know you're just talking big behind a typewriter. There is no God Damn way you would swallow a poison pill and commit suicide rather than defend your life. C'mon, stop all the bullshit comedy. LOL.

Last edited by Chicago; 07/27/13 02:59 AM.
Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #730105
07/27/13 04:24 AM
07/27/13 04:24 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
I guess no one wants to say it, so I will, he was just tough. Don't call me a fan girl, it's just way it is. He is not only one, many who had no egos like his still did their time. He was very tough man, and really believed, wrongly or not, in Mafia way of life.

If he offered to flip, they would have given him anything he wanted. Locascio also stood firm.

Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #730110
07/27/13 04:56 AM
07/27/13 04:56 AM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
@ Chicago:

Maybe I wouldn't put myself in that position in the first place.

Gotti broke the rules and knew the consequences. He chose to save himself.
That's what rats do.

As I said. If you can't do the time...

Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: SonnyBlackstein] #730111
07/27/13 05:08 AM
07/27/13 05:08 AM
Illinois
C
Chicago Offline
Underboss
Chicago  Offline
C
Underboss
Illinois
What rule did he personally break to warrant Castellano to want to kill him? How can you call the guy a rat when he went to prison and never informed on anyone? How is that a rat?

Your funny. You wouldn't put yourself in that position.
Angelo quak quak put him in that position. Sure, it's easy for you to say sitting behind a typewriter somewhere. LOL.

You don't like guys who rat, you don't like guys who go to jail and don't rat, you don't like a guy who defended himself from being killed? Who do you like?

Again, what rule did Gotti himself break? He didn't even know that one or two of his guys were selling dope until it was too late.

Gotti got caught in the middle between his Boss and Angelo quak quak who they had on tape. Gotti was between a rock and a hard spot. Listen, you can say whatever you want about the Guy, but for God's sake, don't call him a rat. Call him something else. Sammy Gravano was a rat, not Gotti. You're using the wrong word. LOL.

Last edited by Chicago; 07/27/13 05:35 AM.
Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: Chicago] #730113
07/27/13 06:44 AM
07/27/13 06:44 AM
The ridge
Lilange Offline
Made Member
Lilange  Offline
Made Member
The ridge
What rule did he personally break to warrant Castellano to want to kill him? How can you call the guy a rat when he went to prison and never informed on anyone? How is that a rat?

Angelo quak quak put him in that position. Sure, it's easy for you to say sitting behind a typewriter somewhere. LOL.

You don't like guys who rat, you don't like guys who go to jail and don't rat, you don't like a guy who defended himself from being killed? Who do you like?

Again, what rule did Gotti himself break? He didn't even know that one or two of his guys were selling dope until it was too late.

Gotti got caught in the middle between his Boss and Angelo quak quak who they had on tape. Gotti was between a rock and a hard spot. Listen, you can say whatever you want about the Guy, but for God's sake, don't call him a rat. Call him something else. Sammy Gravano was a rat, not Gotti. You're using the wrong word. LOL.

He had guys in his crew dealing drugs now wasn't half the other crews in the family dealing. Sure and did Paul know about some if not all I'm sure he did to a certain extent. But let's make no mistake gotti knew who in his crew was dealing. But he's no rat. And it wasn't one or two of his guys and they weren't moving a little heroin it was tons. But I agree he's no rat.

"You come at the king you best not miss"-Omar
Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: Lilange] #730130
07/27/13 11:22 AM
07/27/13 11:22 AM
M
mulberry Offline
Underboss
mulberry  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Lilange

He had guys in his crew dealing drugs now wasn't half the other crews in the family dealing. Sure and did Paul know about some if not all I'm sure he did to a certain extent. But let's make no mistake gotti knew who in his crew was dealing. But he's no rat. And it wasn't one or two of his guys and they weren't moving a little heroin it was tons. But I agree he's no rat.

Patsy Conte and the Cherry hill Gambinos were big into heroin trafficking. I'm sure there were other crews doing it too. Castellano was taking hundreds of thousands each year from the drug deals of his underlings and he knew exactly what Conte and the Gambino brothers were doing. Gotti never personally dealt drugs, but his brother Gene and the Ruggiero brothers were heavy into it along with other members of his crew.

As far as the rule about not killing or attempting to kill bosses, what happened to Anastasia, Mangano, and Costello? Does that make Vito Genovese, Chin Gigante, Albert Anastasia, and Carlo Gambino rat cowards who are the antithesis of LCN? Guys like Accardo and Ricca were behind the killings of women.

Gotti had a huge ego as do all bosses. You don't become a boss by being weak and unsure of yourself. In the end, he took his medicine and died in prison. That's LCN.

Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: mulberry] #730132
07/27/13 11:52 AM
07/27/13 11:52 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Chicago is right. Dellacroce saved Gotti´s ass from getting killed in 1982. When Dellacroce died, Gotti became fair game. It just happened (perhaps because Castellano´s hands were tied at that moment being indicted and all) that Gotti was quicker to resort to violence. We have seen in the past that in many cases when a boss was killed, the aggressor was quick to claim self defense in front of the Commission. I´ve often wondered why Gotti didn´t do that? He was certainly entitled to it. And the only answer I can think of is that the Commission, which had handled these kind of troubles in the past, was simply non-functional at the time.

[Linked Image]
Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: HairyKnuckles] #730199
07/27/13 05:58 PM
07/27/13 05:58 PM
Illinois
C
Chicago Offline
Underboss
Chicago  Offline
C
Underboss
Illinois
Same basic thing happened in Chicago. After Ricca died in 1972, it was kill or be killed for Auippa/Cerone. They killed DeStefano in 1973. He was Mooney's top killer. Mooney came back in 1974. They killed him in 1975. They struck first just like Gotti.
Welcome to the real world of the Mafia, folks.

Last edited by Chicago; 07/27/13 05:59 PM.
Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #730212
07/27/13 07:05 PM
07/27/13 07:05 PM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
I used the term rat as IMO Gotti's behaviour exhibited similar characteristics.

He knowingly broke the rules aware of the consequences and when the time came to accept his punishment he only thought of himself and brought down others in his stead (killing of Paul).

The parallels seem pretty obvious to me.

He was loud and obnoxious constantly drawing heat and exposure, slept with another mans wife, allowed his crew to move H, back stabbed Gravano on the tapes.

He didnt flip because of ego. His ego.

LCN is about the family. Greater good (theoretically).

John Gotti was about John Gotti.

But it appears we're running around in circles and I've said my piece so I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Last edited by SonnyBlackstein; 07/27/13 07:07 PM.

Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #730215
07/27/13 07:10 PM
07/27/13 07:10 PM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
Sonny regardless of if i agree with anything else ur saying, you calling some1 a rat who took a life sentence makes ZERO sense.

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: SonnyBlackstein] #730216
07/27/13 07:12 PM
07/27/13 07:12 PM
Illinois
C
Chicago Offline
Underboss
Chicago  Offline
C
Underboss
Illinois
I don't think anybody would completely disagree with some of those points. Whatever you want to say about Gotti, he had balls to plan and take out a New York Boss without Gigante's approval and he later accepted his fate and died in jail like a man. despite ALL HIS FLAWS and mistakes, you can't take that away from him, ego or no ego. Case Closed.

Last edited by Chicago; 07/27/13 07:34 PM.
Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: Dellacroce] #730219
07/27/13 07:19 PM
07/27/13 07:19 PM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Dellacroce
Sonny regardless of if i agree with anything else ur saying, you calling some1 a rat who took a life sentence makes ZERO sense.

To clarify I was referring to his behaviour leading up to the castellano hit. Not his federal conviction.

Last edited by SonnyBlackstein; 07/27/13 07:20 PM.

Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #730435
07/28/13 11:54 AM
07/28/13 11:54 AM
Westchester
Frankie_Five_Angels Offline
Made Member
Frankie_Five_Angels  Offline
Made Member
Westchester
John Gotti was a lot of things...... but a rat? poor choice of words..

"I'll give you undignified. Go fuck yourself. You, Phil... whoever. He's my fuckin' cousin."

"My name is George. I'm unemployed and live with my parents"..
Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #867325
11/21/15 04:50 PM
11/21/15 04:50 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Gotti's entire family would have disowned him if he was a rat, no?

They think he was "Robin Hood", "The Last of the Mohicans".

They actually think he was a noble person.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Why did Gotti not flip? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #867336
11/21/15 05:19 PM
11/21/15 05:19 PM
M
mackinblack007 Offline
Capo
mackinblack007  Offline
M
Capo
Why wouldn't you guys let a huge black guy fuck you for hours? Same reason gotti wouldn't rate where I live we have some street legends who never broke, got football numbers, all those NY legends who ratted, sickening , 8 rats pointed a finger at my brother.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull