GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Irishman12), 256 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,438
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,508
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,334
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 57 of 80 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 79 80
Re: Mafia Books [Re: SinatraClub] #859601
09/10/15 12:56 PM
09/10/15 12:56 PM
G
gangstereport Offline
Underboss
gangstereport  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
Originally Posted By: DuesPaid
Mob Boss is seriously embellished IMO. D'Arco was nothing more than a puppet, yes man for Casso & Amuso. Of course in the book, he claims otherwise. And I'm not sure what to make of his claims of all his dealings with real Genovese heavyweights during the 70's. The guy lived in apartment tenements all his life, was never really a good earner, and wasn't made until he was in his 50's. And at least one of his claims is flat out wrong, and that's the origins of the American Mafia, and it being New Jersey with some secret society called "The Church". Good book though if you're looking for a book about a lower rung guy, instead of a boss, which is what D'Arco was for most of his life.
Mob Boss is seriously embellished IMO. D'Arco was nothing more than a puppet, yes man for Casso & Amuso. Of course in the book, he claims otherwise. And I'm not sure what to make of his claims of all his dealings with real Genovese heavyweights during the 70's. The guy lived in apartment tenements all his life, was never really a good earner, and wasn't made until he was in his 50's. And at least one of his claims is flat out wrong, and that's the origins of the American Mafia, and it being New Jersey with some secret society called "The Church". Good book though if you're looking for a book about a lower rung guy, instead of a boss, which is what D'Arco was for most of his life.

The fact is , he was a Boss.

Living in an apartment, where he lived was chosen, a way of life that many never traded in for many reasons. Even The Chin and many other people who have and had plenty of resources to live anywhere "chose" to live where they have family, protection, stability and a feeling of security that is priceless.

Judging someone for that reason is rediculous.

I did live in the same type of neighborhood and understand this completely.

On another note, I wonder who , without the right skills, could have survived working for those two mutt losers.

You?

Al D'Arco was a glorified capo. He didn't make any decisions of his own while being "boss", every decision and call he made was what Casso & Amuso told him to do. I'm not judging D'Arco because he lived in apartments, that was just an example along with everything else I mentioned as to why I think parts of his story were embellished. Calling him a "boss" with a straight face is laughable, to me at least. He was placed there in an acting role, all the decisions came from Casso & Amuso, he was quickly demoted from that acting boss spot not too long after, then ran to the feds under fear of being placed on the hit list. Fat Pete flat out disobeyed Amuso & Casso when it came down to it. D'Arco survived by being merely a lap dog for the two men. He never generated any real money outside of his Burger stand, or so he claims. So it's hard to say if his low income tenement living was a choice or not. I do know that he basically got into his last one for free through the Windows scam. But again, like I said, I'm not judging him for that. Fact is, Al D'Arco is much more Nick Caramandi than an Angelo Bruno. And like I said again, the book is great as I'm regards to the story of a lower rung made man, one who basically had to scheme all his literal life out of necessity as opposed to want.

@ Bonanno, you can download the Last Testament of Luciano online for free, through Google if you search hard enough. Over the years the book has become less and less desirable as it seems the author really had no with Luciano like what the book implies and how those words may not even be Lucianos. But I'm of the opinion they are, and that he just jerked the author about certain things. Just throwing that out there.

At the end of the day it is a very good book on that era and he served as acting boss even if a puppet for nearly a year and a capo for several years.

His time as a soldier is interesting as well

Still one of th best books in recent time a very good insight into the lucheses esp casso and amuso

Not connected with scott or anyone at gangsterreport

Sorry for the confusion
Re: Mafia Books [Re: BennyB] #859609
09/10/15 03:02 PM
09/10/15 03:02 PM
G
gangstereport Offline
Underboss
gangstereport  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: BennyB
Originally Posted By: DuesPaid

The fact is , he was a Boss.

Living in an apartment, where he lived was chosen, a way of life that many never traded in for many reasons. Even The Chin and many other people who have and had plenty of resources to live anywhere "chose" to live where they have family, protection, stability and a feeling of security that is priceless.

Judging someone for that reason is rediculous.

I did live in the same type of neighborhood and understand this completely.

On another note, I wonder who , without the right skills, could have survived working for those two mutt losers.

You?

Al D'Arco was a glorified capo. He didn't make any decisions of his own while being "boss", every decision and call he made was what Casso & Amuso told him to do. I'm not judging D'Arco because he lived in apartments, that was just an example along with everything else I mentioned as to why I think parts of his story were embellished. Calling him a "boss" with a straight face is laughable, to me at least. He was placed there in an acting role, all the decisions came from Casso & Amuso, he was quickly demoted from that acting boss spot not too long after, then ran to the feds under fear of being placed on the hit list. Fat Pete flat out disobeyed Amuso & Casso when it came down to it. D'Arco survived by being merely a lap dog for the two men. He never generated any real money outside of his Burger stand, or so he claims. So it's hard to say if his low income tenement living was a choice or not. I do know that he basically got into his last one for free through the Windows scam. But again, like I said, I'm not judging him for that. Fact is, Al D'Arco is much more Nick Caramandi than an Angelo Bruno. And like I said again, the book is great as I'm regards to the story of a lower rung made man, one who basically had to scheme all his literal life out of necessity as opposed to want.

@ Bonanno, you can download the Last Testament of Luciano online for free, through Google if you search hard enough. Over the years the book has become less and less desirable as it seems the author really had no with Luciano like what the book implies and how those words may not even be Lucianos. But I'm of the opinion they are, and that he just jerked the author about certain things. Just throwing that out there.

Agree 100%. they chose him because they wanted someone who they could order around and wouldn't threaten their power. Was he really a good replacement for Paul Vario??

There was better options but he was picked because of his friendship with vic. Al was there puppet but do you blame him?that was me I would be amuso and cassos puppet I mean he was trying you survive and he knew the friendship would bring a higher ranks meaning more money he advanced in the mob because of the friendship he got unlucky in the end but it shows its not always the most able who get the higher spots its there connections like a lot of things in life

Sorry for the confusion
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #860052
09/14/15 04:13 PM
09/14/15 04:13 PM
B
bigboy Offline
Underboss
bigboy  Offline
B
Underboss
I thought the book is excellent. Sure, he was a puppet for Amuso & Casso, but the still had a lot of dealings with a lot of people and tells a good story. While I never cared much for Casso and Amuso, this book showed what greedy unloyal assholes they are.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #860118
09/15/15 06:46 AM
09/15/15 06:46 AM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
His dealings are questionable though. Not too long after the book came out, a poster on the Real Deal used research and facts to debunk Al's claims of how close he was to the Beck brothers. Turns out, they weren't very close at all. One has to ask if that applies to many of the other relationships he spoke about as well. Think about it, Al claims his unmade friend, associate Ralph Musci knocked out Vincent Gigante when he was a made soldier. As close as the Chin was to the head honcho, Genovese, Musci would've been killed in all likelihood had that really happened.

Last edited by SinatraClub; 09/15/15 06:47 AM.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #860240
09/16/15 11:15 AM
09/16/15 11:15 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

I find it hard to believe that Casso cried when he met D'Arco before going in the wind. I also find it hard to believe Amuso felt in any way threatened by Al. I also find his Kimberly Hotel anecdote - particularly as it pertains to Sal Avellino - a stretch. Enlisting Crea and Daidone for a coup is debatable.

Didn't he claim Venero Mangano was knocked on his ass by somebody or did someone else say that?

This is a guy who was outed as a bully who picked on Jew kids in prison by Sal Miciotta.

You know what's a great book? Brotherhoods.

D'Arco's book is a brisk read too - in all fairness..

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #860246
09/16/15 12:40 PM
09/16/15 12:40 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
Ralph Musci is also the guy who Al claims knocked out Venero Mangano.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #860304
09/16/15 10:07 PM
09/16/15 10:07 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Was checking out al book today after I read it almost a yr ago like pizza said in a thread it does describe the NYC climit area I don't no what I looking it gives a great visual in your head if you no anything about books in reading takes you there I guess. Ya al isn't probaly telling 100% truth but probaly the best book with a well known turncoat in a very long time. Unless massino or one of his underlings vitale rite a book it will be awhile. Al did have a few connections.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #860305
09/16/15 10:09 PM
09/16/15 10:09 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

Just the little bit about his section 8 house in little Italy and all the other mob guys getting in there. I find that funny cause its true I wonder what is it Mott street apartment building looks today probaly 5 10k amonth.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #860720
09/21/15 10:24 AM
09/21/15 10:24 AM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Just finished reading "Kill The Irishman" by Rick Porello.

The reviews said the book was written horribly, more like a crime blotter and less like a storyline. But it didn't read that way to me. The recounting of events in the bombing war that went back and forth between Danny Greene and his enemies was fast paced, exciting, and to the point.

That said, I don't agree that Danny Greene was the tipping point that brought down the nationwide conspiracy known as the mafia. The book portrays Greene as the final straw, the last victim that would wreak havoc on the stability of the mob and lead to it's near total collapse. I don't agree with that at all. Seems more like a ploy to pump Greene up to be something he wasn't....all in an effort to pump the book about Greene into something it isn't.

The retelling of his sordid affairs before he become embroiled in a war against the weak Cleveland mafia was also disappointing. He was no Robbin Hood, taking from the rich and giving to the poor while defying the mafia. He was stealing from the poor, during his career in his labor union. That revelation sort of deflated any image the reader was hoping for before they opened the book.

Is this book a recommended read? Yes, but not so good that you need to spend money on it.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Alfa Romeo] #860882
09/22/15 06:00 PM
09/22/15 06:00 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
ever look at "mafia marriage" by rosalie (profaci) bonanno ? interesting,but,like her husband & father in law,another LIAR,,"in our world",,blah,blah,blah....

I didn't want to leave blood on your carpet...
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #860938
09/23/15 02:12 AM
09/23/15 02:12 AM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
ever look at "mafia marriage" by rosalie (profaci) bonanno ? interesting,but,like her husband & father in law,another LIAR,,"in our world",,blah,blah,blah....

That told me a bunch right there. What could she possibly have to contribute?

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #862961
10/10/15 08:46 AM
10/10/15 08:46 AM
nash143 Offline
Made Member
nash143  Offline
Made Member
Having read the chapter in Mafia Prince where Leonetti suddenly announces he has a son, I wondered if anyone know of any further info?

Was Leonetti married or was Little Philip from a relationship?
When Leonetti goes into WP, he takes his son with him. What about Little Philip's mother?

Re: Mafia Books [Re: nash143] #863052
10/11/15 12:56 AM
10/11/15 12:56 AM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
always wondered myself...

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #863142
10/11/15 07:44 PM
10/11/15 07:44 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
Pretty sure he was with the same woman majority of his life. I think her names Maria, the one he began dating after he murdered Vincent Falcone, him being her ex-boyfriend. I think she's also the mother of his kid.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #863245
10/13/15 12:04 AM
10/13/15 12:04 AM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
I totally forgot the actual book that got me here 20 yrs. later..THE PLUMBER by Joe Salerno..blew me away..& u can't find some of the pics in that book anywhere..I know it was written by fact.I always believed salerno..He was the 1rst example of a witness scared straight ...nicky clouded the fuck out of his head..(Hey joe ,u wanna b part of this??..someday joe, were gonna own all this..fuckin'atlantic city)..u wanna b a gangster?..you gotta a gun u can bring us joe?......,,,,,,,,the same fuckin'gun that phil used to kill falcone

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #863412
10/14/15 01:35 PM
10/14/15 01:35 PM
nash143 Offline
Made Member
nash143  Offline
Made Member
Reading The Plumber at the moment. Just got to the bit where Joe reveals all to the Cops. You're right Hoodlum - Scarfo is the master manipulator!

Re: Mafia Books [Re: SinatraClub] #863423
10/14/15 02:45 PM
10/14/15 02:45 PM
G
gangstereport Offline
Underboss
gangstereport  Offline
G
Underboss
Pretty sure he was with the same woman majority of his life. I think her names Maria, the one he began dating after he murdered Vincent Falcone, him being her ex-boyfriend. I think she's also the mother of his kid.

no maria is not the mother of his child. Philip made his girlfriend who i do not know the name of as he never went into detail pregant when he was 19. He did not start dating her till after vince well he was in his mid 20s by then

Sorry for the confusion
Re: Mafia Books [Re: nash143] #863495
10/15/15 12:49 PM
10/15/15 12:49 PM
n.e.philly
hoodlum Offline
Underboss
hoodlum  Offline
Underboss
n.e.philly
Originally Posted By: nash143
Reading The Plumber at the moment. Just got to the bit where Joe reveals all to the Cops. You're right Hoodlum - Scarfo is the master manipulator!
hard book to find ,,u lucked out my man

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #864267
10/23/15 01:59 AM
10/23/15 01:59 AM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Just finished reading the mind blowing book "The Big White Lie: The Deep Cover Operation That Exposed the CIA Sabotage of The Drug War" by veteran DEA agent, Michael Levine.

Wow.

Anyone who hasn't read it should. It's funny. It's scary. It's angry. It's deliciously intriguing. It is filled with tense situations. It is filled with surprises. This is the type of book that you can't put down until you are done reading it. You literally take it everywhere with you.

I won't give away more than the title, but there is a lot more in the book than just the implications behind the title. The power structure of underworld society is a bit more convoluted than even what many a conspiracy theorist might suspect: At many different nexus points, the underworld sphere crosses over into the governmental sphere, meaning the actors are operating in both the criminal world and the governmental world, simultaneously, because they are both one and the same.

Michael Levine is an expert writer.

This book reads like a blockbuster movie.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Alfa Romeo] #864271
10/23/15 02:36 AM
10/23/15 02:36 AM
Chicago
C
CabriniGreen Offline
Underboss
CabriniGreen  Offline
C
Underboss
Chicago
Thanks Alfa I will read it, it seems like only certain people are built to handle this type of information, it just straight up scares the shit outta people...

Re: Mafia Books [Re: CabriniGreen] #864302
10/23/15 03:09 PM
10/23/15 03:09 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: CabriniGreen
Thanks Alfa I will read it, it seems like only certain people are built to handle this type of information, it just straight up scares the shit outta people...

I bought the eBook from Amazon for less than 5 dollars. What a great treat being able to have it delivered to your Kindle for Mobile, and then reading it on your smartphone. Once you've purchased a book, and you downloaded the Kindle App, through Kindle you can see all of your purchases and download a book with hundreds of pages in just a few seconds. Then it's on your smartphone permanently and you can read your book with or without an internet connection.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #864934
10/28/15 05:00 PM
10/28/15 05:00 PM
UK
D
dsd Offline
Capo
dsd  Offline
D
Capo
UK
If any one's interested this is a podcast about crime, and there's a few mob books involved. There old books but some bits of interest.

I've tried but can't work out how you link a podcast, so GOOGLE
BLOGTALK RADIO TRUE MURDER

These are the mob books talked about by there authors,:
BUSINESS OR BLOOD about. RIZZUTTOS

MURDER INC. by C. CIPPOLINI
LUCKY LUCIANO by above

KING OF THE GODFATHERS. .about. MASSINO
VINNY GORGEOUS. both by DE STEFFANO

MOB KILLER. about. CARNEGLIA

ROGUE MOBSTER. M.SILVERMAN

TAMPA BAY ORGANIZED CRIME

GANGSTERS OF BOSTON

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #864966
10/28/15 09:18 PM
10/28/15 09:18 PM
G
gangstereport Offline
Underboss
gangstereport  Offline
G
Underboss
i enjoyed mob killer by carnelgia though i would have liked them to talk more about charles i guess there is a limit you can talk about

charles was one crazy fuck

Sorry for the confusion
Re: Mafia Books [Re: gangstereport] #864991
10/29/15 03:01 AM
10/29/15 03:01 AM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: gangstereport
i enjoyed mob killer by carnelgia though i would have liked them to talk more about charles i guess there is a limit you can talk about

I don't believe Carneglia actually wrote that one.

And yes, he was a monster that probably should have been whacked by law enforcement on sight.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #865012
10/29/15 10:49 AM
10/29/15 10:49 AM
D
dinocrocetti Offline
Capo
dinocrocetti  Offline
D
Capo
New book on New Kensington, PA and the Mannarino brothers.

http://www.akvhs.org/Marsili%20book%202.htm

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Alfa Romeo] #865102
10/30/15 11:51 AM
10/30/15 11:51 AM
G
gangstereport Offline
Underboss
gangstereport  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted By: gangstereport

I don't believe Carneglia actually wrote that one.

And yes, he was a monster that probably should have been whacked by law enforcement on sight.

no he did not write the book he never ratted or anything

defo a monster he was a junkie but the gottis kept him around because he was a killer and john carneligas brother

they got him on four murders though feds think he killed alot more kevin mchanon said he talked about killings tramps and burning there bodies in acid a nutjob

Last edited by gangstereport; 10/30/15 11:53 AM.

Sorry for the confusion
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #865223
10/31/15 04:56 PM
10/31/15 04:56 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
Just ordered The First Family off Amazon by Mike Dash. It'll feed my recent interest in pre-Luciano NY Mafia.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #865260
11/01/15 11:26 AM
11/01/15 11:26 AM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Just finished reading "Deep Cover" by Michael Levine.

Get this book.

Inside of it, it is mentioned that in South America, there were (and still are?) whole underground cities whose primary purpose was mass cocaine production.

Massive cocaine factories hidden from aerial view by flora, the only way to reach which is by flying into openings down into hidden landing strips underneath the forest. You cannot see the landing strips from the air.

Inside of it is mentioned "The Corporation", which is a group of producers that supplied the Medellin Cartel among others.

The name of the reputed head of The Corporation at the time the book was written.

...and more.

Recommended. 5 Stars.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #869188
12/09/15 01:31 PM
12/09/15 01:31 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
Just started reading Blood Oath, by George Fresolone. I don't know if they updated the book for later copies or whatever. But I have an original that was sent to me in the mail, and there's some blatant inaccuracies in it early on. Two examples are this, it clearly states Nicky Scarfo had Salvatore "Chuckie" Merlino killed. That isn't true. It also says Charles "Lucky" Luciano went on to meet a violent death before Frank Costello took over control of the family, followed by Genovese. That isn't true either.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: SinatraClub] #869197
12/09/15 02:12 PM
12/09/15 02:12 PM
Germany
A
Alexgg Offline
Wiseguy
Alexgg  Offline
A
Wiseguy
Germany
Hello.

I come from Germany and have great interest in this books.

Is there books in German?

Seeking the books:

Bloodlines: The Rise and the Fall of the Mafia's Royal Family

Blood Brothers: History and Business of the 'Ndrangheta

Fratelli di Sangue, Storia e Affari della 'Ndrangheta mafia la più potent del mondo

Fratelli di Sangue, La 'Ndrangheta tra arretratezza e modernità:

Greetings

Page 57 of 80 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 79 80

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull