GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (RushStreet, Lou_Para), 194 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,890
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,327
Posts1,058,663
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Print Thread
East Jackson (Gold Coast) , Ms #851424
07/14/15 07:28 PM
07/14/15 07:28 PM
Mississippi - 662
B
BlackFamily Offline OP
Underboss
BlackFamily  Offline OP
B
Underboss
Mississippi - 662
From the 1930s to the 1950s, the "Gold Coast,” located on the east bank of the Pearl River across the Woodrow Wilson bridge from Jackson, was known primarily for bootleg alcohol, gambling and other sundry vices (and not infrequent murders). Also called "East Jackson," the area sprang to life because of prohibition. Although prohibition ended nationally in 1933, it remained in place in Mississippi for another 30+ years. It was during this period that the Gold Coast flourished, mainly fueled by Jacksonians streaming across the Pearl River to enjoy all the vices they would never allow in their own city. So lucrative was the illegal liquor business that the state had a tax on bootlegging!

Besides the flowing alcohol, gambling and other unsavory activities, the Gold Coast was also home to numerous black musicians and entertainers, both national touring acts and local artists, who played in dozens of nightclubs, dance halls and juke joints located primarily on Fannin Road. Some of the acts featured are still considered among America’s greatest entertainers, including Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway (above), B.B. King, Ella Fitzgerald, Count Basie, Louis Armstrong, Dizzy Gillespie, Billy Holiday and Lena Horne. Among the approximately 130 nightclubs, restaurants and dance halls was the Stamps Brothers Hotel, believed to be among the first black owned and operated hotels in Mississippi. Built circa 1937, the Stamps Brothers Hotel, run by Charlie, Clift and Bill Stamps, boasted a 500-seat auditorium, the largest entertainment venue in the area. Known as the Rankin Auditorium, it could also accommodate 3,000 people on the dance floor. Notably, even in officially segregated Mississippi, the patrons were both black and white. The Stamps Hotel itself was one of the few hotels in the South available to black patrons. Other popular nightclubs included “The Blue Flame” and “The Rocket Lounge."

In 1966, Mississippi became the last state in the nation to end prohibition, giving individual counties the option to allow alcohol or not. Rankin County decided to remain (officially, at least) a "dry" county, while Jackson and Hinds County chose to allow the sale of alcohol. With the legalization of alcohol in Jackson, the Gold Coast began a rapid decline. The last nightclub, “The Blue Flame,” was demolished in 1991. To preserve the history of the area, however, a group of interested citizens formed the Gold Coast Historical Society, and the area has been included as part of the Mississippi Blues Trail.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb
Re: East Jackson (Gold Coast) , Ms [Re: BlackFamily] #851464
07/14/15 11:16 PM
07/14/15 11:16 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Good post BF

The clubs in that area were part of the "Chitlin Circuit".

Glad you brought up the Black owned hotel in that place and era because I've been meaning to post this clip, and it's as relevant here as in any thread on the site.

I saw and posted a doc. Soul Food Junkies, and it was my first time hearing about the "Green Book". Basically a traveler's guide for those going back down south to visit or vacation in jim crow era...listed restaurants/hotels/even gas stations that Blacks were ALLOWED to use.Certain that the hotel you mentioned was listed in the Green Book.

Listen to the part in the clip about "sundown towns"

They say the guides were published to allow Black families to travel with DIGNITY

Re: East Jackson (Gold Coast) , Ms [Re: getthesenets] #851468
07/15/15 12:43 AM
07/15/15 12:43 AM
Mississippi - 662
B
BlackFamily Offline OP
Underboss
BlackFamily  Offline OP
B
Underboss
Mississippi - 662
Wonderful video Gets. Thank you for showing me something new and I'm well aware of the sundown towns. My father told me about those towns and a few locations in Alabama. Truly informative and eye opener.

I have a feeling that Queen City Hotel (My hometown historic black hotel) was possibly in that green book as well.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb
Re: East Jackson (Gold Coast) , Ms [Re: BlackFamily] #851496
07/15/15 09:17 AM
07/15/15 09:17 AM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
You're welcome BF

and yes, Queen City Hotel was in the guide

http://library.sc.edu/digital/collections/greenbookmap.html

The map , from the 1956 edition,covers the entire US, so like the point was made in the confederate flag thread....these types of practices or attitudes weren't limited to the South.

Some of the issues being discussed are a lot more complicated than we'd like to think they are.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull