GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 58 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,168
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,388
Posts1,059,834
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #853674
07/30/15 04:45 PM
07/30/15 04:45 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
My mother could not do anything after Daddio died. That is how Daddio had the power over her.

She could not even write a check on her own.

Then when I moved back in she wanted my brother and I to do everything for her. Daddio trained her to always be dependent upon him.

She had a hard life.

only the unloved hate
Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #853681
07/30/15 05:05 PM
07/30/15 05:05 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
I taught my Grandma how to start up the car and how to turn it off. It was the funniest thing. None of the women drove. She never sat behind the wheel before and there she was revving up the engine.

I also taught her how to play a slot machine. She didn't like it in the beginning but when we started winning a little bit, she really enjoyed herself. We were playing dimes lol.

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: Alfanosgirl] #853687
07/30/15 05:45 PM
07/30/15 05:45 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Alfanosgirl
I taught my Grandma how to start up the car and how to turn it off. It was the funniest thing. None of the women drove. She never sat behind the wheel before and there she was revving up the engine.

I also taught her how to play a slot machine. She didn't like it in the beginning but when we started winning a little bit, she really enjoyed herself. We were playing dimes lol.

Every smart Italian should have somebody to start their car... just in case. whistle

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #853736
07/31/15 08:29 AM
07/31/15 08:29 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
In my old neighbor hood very few people drove a car or had one.

Everyone took public transportation. The only people who had cars were mob guys and bigger store owners.

When I first saw rebel without a cause I thought all these kids have money. They own their own cars and their parents owned their own houses.

I could not get over that.

I liked the knife fight at the planetarium. I was very surprised that dean didn't fuck him up when he got the drop on him.

only the unloved hate
Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: Footreads] #853754
07/31/15 02:22 PM
07/31/15 02:22 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline OP
The Italian Stallionette  Offline OP

California
Neither of my grandmothers drove. Someone would always pick them up to take them somewhere. My mother didn't get her driver's license until she was about 35/40.

Anyone remember having to stay in your church clothes on Sunday? I have movie film of my riding my bike up/down the street. I KNOW it was Sunday, cause I had a dress on. LOL lol NOW, they wear anything to church.

Couple other random tidbits:

My father-in-law would always do the sign of the cross if he drove past a Catholic Church.

Speaking of Sunday, Sunday dinners at my house was always around 1:00 in the afternoon as opposed to 6:00 p.m. during the week.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #853763
07/31/15 04:12 PM
07/31/15 04:12 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
I remember if I fell and messed up my school uniform I caught a beating.

only the unloved hate
Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #853779
07/31/15 05:14 PM
07/31/15 05:14 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

Couple other random tidbits:

My father-in-law would always do the sign of the cross if he drove past a Catholic Church.

Speaking of Sunday, Sunday dinners at my house was always around 1:00 in the afternoon as opposed to 6:00 p.m. during the week.

TIS

I definitely remember both of those. I always crossed myself.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #853786
07/31/15 05:55 PM
07/31/15 05:55 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss

Sunday dinner at my grandparent's house usually lasted from 1 p.m. TO 6 p.m! lol

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: Mark] #853788
07/31/15 06:03 PM
07/31/15 06:03 PM
California

California
Originally Posted By: Mark

Sunday dinner at my grandparent's house usually lasted from 1 p.m. TO 6 p.m! lol

And there was always plenty. If company came over, another plate/s was set and they were forced to eat something. If company said they weren't hungry my dad would always say, just nibble. They HAD to eat something LOL
It would be a mortal sin not to have enough food. Ha ha lol

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 07/31/15 06:03 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #853792
07/31/15 07:01 PM
07/31/15 07:01 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
Not having enough food in an Italian household would be a sin lol.
Did you ever have dinner plans as a young adult but still had to sit down to eat just a little beforehand? Have a plate... What's the difference, I made all this food here and you're going out? Why must you go out to eat? Then you had a plate set aside for you when you got home. D'ya eat enough at dinner? I got your plate here for you now, you hungry? I'll warm it up. Lol. It's like they think you're going to starve in a four hour time frame. Too funny.

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #853795
07/31/15 07:23 PM
07/31/15 07:23 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
If there was a "spontaneous" gathering of young people, my mom could make ten pizzas in a night. Long slices of mozzarella laid on, instead of little shavings.

And anchovies - everyone loved anchovies.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: mustachepete] #853796
07/31/15 07:26 PM
07/31/15 07:26 PM
California

California
Originally Posted By: mustachepete
If there was a "spontaneous" gathering of young people, my mom could make ten pizzas in a night. Long slices of mozzarella laid on, instead of little shavings.

And anchovies - everyone loved anchovies.

Oh yea, I love anchovies. Nowadays I never find anyone who wants anchovies on pizza. ohwell

TIS

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: Alfanosgirl] #853809
07/31/15 08:26 PM
07/31/15 08:26 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Not having enough food in an Italian household would be a sin lol.
Did you ever have dinner plans as a young adult but still had to sit down to eat just a little beforehand? Have a plate... What's the difference, I made all this food here and you're going out? Why must you go out to eat? Then you had a plate set aside for you when you got home. D'ya eat enough at dinner? I got your plate here for you now, you hungry? I'll warm it up. Lol. It's like they think you're going to starve in a four hour time frame. Too funny.

lol Right on target, AG! This is how the future Mrs. Mark was introduced to the Italian way of life. We would be getting ready to go on a date for her fave Chinese and we would get all those comments including the one we still laugh about and ridicule to this day, "With all this food on the table!?! Madonna Mia!!!" lol

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: Mark] #853817
07/31/15 10:17 PM
07/31/15 10:17 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
lol Did you get the phone calls and messages too after you got married? Hello, this is us, your mother and I got all this food here, who is gonna eat all this food? We can't eat it all, so just come over.
You get a second phone call. We're waiting here for you. What time are yous coming? Give us a call. AND A third call. Where the hell are yous? We've been waiting here all night. Click.

You call back. We were out of town remember?
That's right, we forgot. I got your food all wrapped up so you can eat it tonight, tomorrow, whenever, it don't matter. Just come pick it up. I'll wait up lol

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: Alfanosgirl] #853819
07/31/15 10:22 PM
07/31/15 10:22 PM
California

California
Even after I was married, with a family, I loved going to dinner at my parents (and my in-laws were Italian as well). They'd stock me up with leftovers for two more meals. smile

TIS

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: Alfanosgirl] #853825
07/31/15 11:33 PM
07/31/15 11:33 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
lol Did you get the phone calls and messages too after you got married? Hello, this is us, your mother and I got all this food here, who is gonna eat all this food? We can't eat it all, so just come over.
You get a second phone call. We're waiting here for you. What time are yous coming? Give us a call. AND A third call. Where the hell are yous? We've been waiting here all night. Click.

That's right, we forgot. I got your food all wrapped up so you can eat it tonight, tomorrow, whenever, it don't matter. Just come pick it up. I'll wait up lol

lol lol

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #853826
07/31/15 11:36 PM
07/31/15 11:36 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
When I'd tell my parents I was going to visit them from Texas, one of the first thing they'd say was "What do you want to eat when you get here?"

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: olivant] #853855
08/01/15 12:30 PM
08/01/15 12:30 PM
California

California
Food was such a huge part of an Italian family life. I remember my mom planning menu for the week in detail. (Damn, she knew tons of different ways to make pasta.) smile

One of my favorite snacks (tho I've made meal out of it many times) was usually a Sunday night bedtime snack (LOL) It was very simple and always on hand in my house. Black (Greek) Olives,green olives seasoned/pickled provolone cheese, pepperoni and/or salami and fresh Italian bread. Mmmm I'd take a bite of everything and pig out. Every now & then I will go to the Italian Deli and stock up.

Heck, even up until I lost my parents, whenever I'd visit MI, my dad would haul out cheese, pepperoni, olives, etc. and put it all in front of me and watch me eat, as he smiled. LMAO If my plate was getting empty, he'd fill it. lol

Btw, any Italian here ever have Caponatina(I did have to look up the correct spelling)? It's an eggplant/olive/celery/olive oil type sidedish which was common with my family/relatives.

TIS

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #853863
08/01/15 01:57 PM
08/01/15 01:57 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
I don't think I ever had caponatina, sounds delicious. We were lucky to eat so well. I wanted to mention to you and anyone else who is in our local area a couple upcoming events. I knew some of these people from San Diego personally because we would have our annual Italian picnic and bocce tournament with everyone in the state affiliated with the ICF. They were a lot of fun, most are Sicilian.

09/05-09/07, Sat.-Mon. – Labor Day Weekend West Coast Stickball Tournament
Come and watch the streets of Little Italy come alive with the good ol’ American (East Coast) past-time: STICKBALL. Every year local teams come together to play for the right to call themselves the king of the block; the champions! This year San Diego Stickball League will be hosting guest teams from New York and Puerto Rico. Come and enjoy the taunting, heckling and good ol’ fun on Saturday and Sunday from 8:00am to 6:00pm on Columbia Street, between Beech and Cedar Streets, and State Street, between Ash and Beech Streets. This event was made possible by the Little Italy Association of San Diego. For more information, please call Joey Centanni at 619-471-7375.

10/11, Sun. – 21st Annual Little Italy FESTA!
Little Italy Association is proud to make the Little Italy District come alive. Come and enjoy over 180 Italian Food & Crafter Booths, 3 stages of entertainment, Gesso Italiano (Italian Chalk): Little Italy’s Chalk Painting Event, a Stickball Tournament and a Beer & Wine Garden. Load up the family, friends & pets and come to the Largest Italian Festival on the West Coast. This event is held on India Street between Ash and Grape Streets from 10:00a.m. – 6:00p.m. For more information, click here

http://www.littleitalysd.com/events/little-italy-festa/

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: Alfanosgirl] #853873
08/01/15 03:23 PM
08/01/15 03:23 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss

Yes. Yes. Yes! Absolutely true! After a holiday or a family function, there are leftovers for days! We were all expected to be there everyday after until they were all gone. One time, a newlywed Mrs. Mark referred to it as Day 4 of the Roman Feast! lol

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #853876
08/01/15 03:32 PM
08/01/15 03:32 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Btw, any Italian here ever have Caponatina(I did have to look up the correct spelling)? It's an eggplant/olive/celery/olive oil type sidedish which was common with my family/relatives.

TIS

Yes! I remember that well. We would put a big scoop of that on a piece of Turano Bread and make a meal out of it! Love that bread! Not sure if this was only big in the midwest?

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: Mark] #853878
08/01/15 03:39 PM
08/01/15 03:39 PM
California

California
Mark, not sure I know that bread. My mom would make her own (8 loaves a week) But yea, bread would be a must.

I especially remember on holidays, after having at least a two course meal, dessert, not to mention food readily available all day, the table would be set one more time for a night snack. Damn, I really should weight about 300 lbs I think. lol
Then of course leftovers distributed.

TIS

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #853880
08/01/15 03:55 PM
08/01/15 03:55 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Mark, not sure I know that bread. My mom would make her own (8 loaves a week) But yea, bread would be a must.

I especially remember on holidays, after having at least a two course meal, dessert, not to mention food readily available all day, the table would be set one more time for a night snack. Damn, I really should weight about 300 lbs I think. lol

TIS

Oh, heck yeah! Nobody left my grandma's house without half a trunk of leftovers to bring home! Every car owned by an Italian has a cooler in the trunk for just such an occasion! I'm surprised it wasn't added to the basic design of every Cadillac that rolled out of Detroit!

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #853882
08/01/15 04:56 PM
08/01/15 04:56 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

TIS

Oh, do I remember my mother making copious amounts of bread ... and pizza too,

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: olivant] #853885
08/01/15 05:24 PM
08/01/15 05:24 PM
California

California
A-Girl my daughters and I are thinking about checking out the Italian Festival in San Diego. I see they dropped the Sicilian Festival and are combining the two. I've never been to it. If nothing else it should be good food. smile

TIS

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #853887
08/01/15 05:54 PM
08/01/15 05:54 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
A-Girl my daughters and I are thinking about checking out the Italian Festival in San Diego. I see they dropped the Sicilian Festival and are combining the two. I've never been to it. If nothing else it should be good food. smile

TIS

The best of both worlds. My grandma was from Napoli and my grandfather was from Palermo. I grew up seeing it all. I am blessed for sure.

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #854039
08/02/15 11:01 PM
08/02/15 11:01 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
TIS, I think it will be fun. I'm going to make it by business to get down there too. The food will be delicious and the music should be good. smile

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #854040
08/02/15 11:03 PM
08/02/15 11:03 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
When is it? I may try to make it down there.

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: Faithful1] #854044
08/02/15 11:11 PM
08/02/15 11:11 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
Originally Posted By: Faithful1
When is it? I may try to make it down there.

Sunday, October 11
Here's info:
10/11, Sun. – 21st Annual Little Italy FESTA!
Little Italy Association is proud to make the Little Italy District come alive. Come and enjoy over 180 Italian Food & Crafter Booths, 3 stages of entertainment, Gesso Italiano (Italian Chalk): Little Italy’s Chalk Painting Event, a Stickball Tournament and a Beer & Wine Garden. Load up the family, friends & pets and come to the Largest Italian Festival on the West Coast. This event is held on India Street between Ash and Grape Streets from 10:00a.m. – 6:00p.m. For more information, click here

http://www.littleitalysd.com/events/little-italy-festa/

Re: You Know Your Italian If: [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #854080
08/03/15 07:55 AM
08/03/15 07:55 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
Neither of my grandmothers drove. Someone would always pick them up to take them somewhere.

TIS

My oldest sons newest mother in law is like that her son or my son has to drive them every where. Or they don't go any where.

We always have company on the weekends. We want them to come early so they leave early smile

They come go in the pool. Then we eat play with the grand kids and they leave and we can enjoy the rest of the evening.

I think they come because they think they will get the house when we are not around anymore smile my wife always see the need to see at least some of the kids and grand kids.

I am not like that they come they come they don't they don't. My wife is taking one of my grand daughters to see Aladin on broadway on the 16th.

I think of it is more time to myself.

Pizza you going to Harlem for the Giglio lift next Sunday?

only the unloved hate
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull