GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Mafia101, Havana), 50 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,432
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor #845106
06/08/15 03:43 AM
06/08/15 03:43 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Was: Revis_Island
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
I think Giuliani was a great mayor and doesn't seem to get as much credit as he deserves sometimes. I understand that a lot of people don't like him because he cheated on his wife and I was disgusted by it myself but there are far worse things he could've done that would've made him look worse.

Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Revis_Knicks] #845185
06/08/15 03:20 PM
06/08/15 03:20 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

The guy was a great mayor, especially compared to the asshat they have now.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Revis_Knicks] #845193
06/08/15 05:05 PM
06/08/15 05:05 PM
Good ole USA
R
rockstar_man45 Offline
Capo
rockstar_man45  Offline
R
Capo
Good ole USA
No politician ever has a perfect track record, but from what I hear from most people and most New Yorkers Guiliani really cleaned up New York and made it livable again. Was strong in a time of crisis during 9/11 and was a breath of fresh air compared to Dinkins, who didn't do squat to improve the city.

And remember Clinton cheated on his wife too, but the guy wasn't a bad President.

Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: rockstar_man45] #845201
06/08/15 07:15 PM
06/08/15 07:15 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Giuliani was a great mayor because he had the most important gift of great leadership: the ability to cut through all the crap and identify a single, simple, but overpoweringly important objective--and to remain focused on it despite every distraction and provocation:

Every mayor of NYC understood that crime-and-grime were important, and some tried to address it. Giuliani, alone, understood the underlying issue: the perception that the city was ungovernable and out of control. The average NYer or visitor was unlikely to be murdered, beaten, robbed, raped or mugged on any given day. But, they were very likely to encounter other signs of lawlessness: turnstile-jumpers, three-card monte players, low-level drug dealers, radio-blasters, litterers, aggressive panhandling, etc. Giuliani went after those "quality of life" crimes aggressively, and demanded that everyone around him stay focused on them, not just the police.

Not surprisingly, Giuliani's focus resulted not only in the city becoming cleaner and more civil, but in a large number of arrests for felonies, and a lower crime rate. Turned out that a large percentage of people ticketed or arrested for "minor" crimes had outstanding warrants for felonies. In one case, a guy who brutally murdered an Upper East Side woman in her cleaning store was nabbed because he had a warrant for turnstile-jumping. In another case: a young woman was attacked and almost killed on a busy street corner by a brick-wielding, deranged homeless man. Giuliani immediately recognized that it was exactly the kind of crime people fear most: a senseless, unprovoked attack that can't be guarded against. He assigned 80 detectives to track the perp down and was on radio and TV three times a day, giving NYers updates. They got the guy in a few days. Giuliani's big effort wouldn't have prevented another senseless attack. But, he proved to NYers that he cared about, and was outraged by, the crime. He built confidence.

My personal experience: In the late '90's, I walked all the way from Penn Station to 99th Street on the East Side to visit an aunt in the hospital. The streets were incredibly clean, I didn't encounter one panhandler, and I was amazed at how quiet it was.

His courage and leadership on 9/11 and afterward were magnificent. All of America, not just New York, owes him a debt of gratitude.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Revis_Knicks] #845206
06/08/15 07:56 PM
06/08/15 07:56 PM
NY
B
blacksheep Offline
Underboss
blacksheep  Offline
B
Underboss
NY
Fuck that guy

Make that coffee to go
Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Turnbull] #845236
06/09/15 11:08 AM
06/09/15 11:08 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Giuliani was a great mayor because he had the most important gift of great leadership: the ability to cut through all the crap and identify a single, simple, but overpoweringly important objective--and to remain focused on it despite every distraction and provocation:

Every mayor of NYC understood that crime-and-grime were important, and some tried to address it. Giuliani, alone, understood the underlying issue: the perception that the city was ungovernable and out of control. The average NYer or visitor was unlikely to be murdered, beaten, robbed, raped or mugged on any given day. But, they were very likely to encounter other signs of lawlessness: turnstile-jumpers, three-card monte players, low-level drug dealers, radio-blasters, litterers, aggressive panhandling, etc. Giuliani went after those "quality of life" crimes aggressively, and demanded that everyone around him stay focused on them, not just the police.

Not surprisingly, Giuliani's focus resulted not only in the city becoming cleaner and more civil, but in a large number of arrests for felonies, and a lower crime rate. Turned out that a large percentage of people ticketed or arrested for "minor" crimes had outstanding warrants for felonies. In one case, a guy who brutally murdered an Upper East Side woman in her cleaning store was nabbed because he had a warrant for turnstile-jumping. In another case: a young woman was attacked and almost killed on a busy street corner by a brick-wielding, deranged homeless man. Giuliani immediately recognized that it was exactly the kind of crime people fear most: a senseless, unprovoked attack that can't be guarded against. He assigned 80 detectives to track the perp down and was on radio and TV three times a day, giving NYers updates. They got the guy in a few days. Giuliani's big effort wouldn't have prevented another senseless attack. But, he proved to NYers that he cared about, and was outraged by, the crime. He built confidence.

My personal experience: In the late '90's, I walked all the way from Penn Station to 99th Street on the East Side to visit an aunt in the hospital. The streets were incredibly clean, I didn't encounter one panhandler, and I was amazed at how quiet it was.

His courage and leadership on 9/11 and afterward were magnificent. All of America, not just New York, owes him a debt of gratitude.

Well put, TB.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Revis_Knicks] #845238
06/09/15 11:28 AM
06/09/15 11:28 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
If only there was some way he could beat out Hillary this year. I think it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that she will be our next president unfortunately.

Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Revis_Knicks] #845239
06/09/15 11:40 AM
06/09/15 11:40 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
If only there was some way he could beat out Hillary this year. I think it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that she will be our next president unfortunately.

Never happen. I said it in 2008, when everyone thought she was a sure thing, and I'll say it again. She'll never be President. She has too much baggage and she's too fucking old.

When Reagan, Dole and McCain ran their campaigns, the Left was all too quick to mock their age. Well, guess what? She's the same age now as they were then. What's good for the Right is good for the Left. Besides, have you seen her poll numbers these past few weeks?

But Giuliani doesn't have a prayer either. His post 9/11 self-adulation turned off too many people. Perfect example: I loved him while he was in office, today I can't stand the sight of him.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: pizzaboy] #845320
06/09/15 09:37 PM
06/09/15 09:37 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
But Giuliani doesn't have a prayer either. His post 9/11 self-adulation turned off too many people.

...like the time he took a cell phone call from his wife during a speech before an important GOP group. rolleyes

Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Revis_Knicks] #845550
06/11/15 09:11 AM
06/11/15 09:11 AM
B
bigboy Offline
Underboss
bigboy  Offline
B
Underboss
While I never lived in NYC, everything I have read and listened to tells me he was a great mayor A NYC cop told me that hr really made the city safer.

Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Revis_Knicks] #845557
06/11/15 10:05 AM
06/11/15 10:05 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
I think Giuliani was a great mayor and doesn't seem to get as much credit as he deserves sometimes. I understand that a lot of people don't like him because he cheated on his wife and I was disgusted by it myself but there are far worse things he could've done that would've made him look worse.

He was a good mayor. NYC has become a liberal city. Liberals hate him. He only got in because Dinkins fucked up the riot in crown hts. I liked when he refused the money the Saudi's tried to give us after 9/11. He knew they had something to do with 9/11.

Cheating on his wife he was not hated for that. I just thought he was weak willed for cheating on his wife like most guys.

only the unloved hate
Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: pizzaboy] #845558
06/11/15 10:15 AM
06/11/15 10:15 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss

Never happen. I said it in 2008, when everyone thought she was a sure thing, and I'll say it again. She'll never be President. She has too much baggage and she's too fucking old. but she has a ton of money to spend. Plus she is a women maybe smile

Dole the Left was all too quick to mock their age.

I hated when they did that to Dole. What did AARP do when they saw that? not a fucking thing. That is one of the million reasons I am not a member of the AARP their a bunch of ass kissers. They only want to get kick backs from the many companies that they indorse

only the unloved hate
Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: pizzaboy] #846099
06/14/15 09:14 AM
06/14/15 09:14 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

Never happen. I said it in 2008, when everyone thought she was a sure thing, and I'll say it again. She'll never be President. She has too much baggage and she's too fucking old.

When Reagan, Dole and McCain ran their campaigns, the Left was all too quick to mock their age. Well, guess what? She's the same age now as they were then. What's good for the Right is good for the Left. Besides, have you seen her poll numbers these past few weeks?

But Giuliani doesn't have a prayer either. His post 9/11 self-adulation turned off too many people. Perfect example: I loved him while he was in office, today I can't stand the sight of him.

I hope you're right bud. I will say that at least he supports the hell out of cops unlike the current mayor in New York. The president doesn't seem to support cops either.

Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Revis_Knicks] #846100
06/14/15 09:15 AM
06/14/15 09:15 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
What has he done to self adulate exactly? I've heard many people say that before.

Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Revis_Knicks] #846206
06/14/15 08:59 PM
06/14/15 08:59 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
I don't have a great deal of respect for guiliani. The main thing people give him credit for, and maybe he deserves it, is the crime fighting prowess. But from what I understand, that was just his implimentation of the broken glass theories of the Manhattan Institute. Beyond that, he was incompetent as a mayor and at being a human.

Here you have a guy who crossdresses, married his 1st cousin, released the sealed records of a murdered victim of police brutality thus revealing that, gasp, the guy once punched someone in the face, big deal. Here you have a so-called mayor who in response to police brutality complaints then arms the police with hollow point bullets to use against civilians with the excuse that they are "safer" because they will explode on impact and not pass through a target thus hitting someone behind them. Here you have a guy who had a reputation as THE mob buster, and IMHO all he did was make sure the mafia survived by redirecting prosecutions to ten or so guys at the top instead of damn near everyone in Ozone Park, Mulbery Street, Bensonhurst, or you name it. He did not put in the leg work directing the surveillance teams, the crime family squads, flipping perps to become informants, etc. He stole Walter Mack's recognition for his hard work and achievements and protected the mafia. His ability to misappropriate the glory of real policemen and law enforcement tells me all I need to know, or want to know, about that guy.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Alfa Romeo] #846211
06/14/15 10:14 PM
06/14/15 10:14 PM
Good ole USA
R
rockstar_man45 Offline
Capo
rockstar_man45  Offline
R
Capo
Good ole USA
Originally Posted By: Alfa Romeo
I don't have a great deal of respect for guiliani. The main thing people give him credit for, and maybe he deserves it, is the crime fighting prowess. But from what I understand, that was just his implimentation of the broken glass theories of the Manhattan Institute. Beyond that, he was incompetent as a mayor and at being a human.

Here you have a guy who crossdresses, married his 1st cousin, released the sealed records of a murdered victim of police brutality thus revealing that, gasp, the guy once punched someone in the face, big deal. Here you have a so-called mayor who in response to police brutality complaints then arms the police with hollow point bullets to use against civilians with the excuse that they are "safer" because they will explode on impact and not pass through a target thus hitting someone behind them. Here you have a guy who had a reputation as THE mob buster, and IMHO all he did was make sure the mafia survived by redirecting prosecutions to ten or so guys at the top instead of damn near everyone in Ozone Park, Mulbery Street, Bensonhurst, or you name it. He did not put in the leg work directing the surveillance teams, the crime family squads, flipping perps to become informants, etc. He stole Walter Mack's recognition for his hard work and achievements and protected the mafia. His ability to misappropriate the glory of real policemen and law enforcement tells me all I need to know, or want to know, about that guy.

This sounds like a biased opinion rather than a well thought out critique of his time as Mayor.

Guiliani, by the standards of people like Dinkins and DeBlasio, was an excellent Mayor. He's miles ahead of those two.

If you want more proof, just read Turnbull's post on the subject. He's an excellent go to guy on this stuff. PB as well

Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Alfa Romeo] #846214
06/14/15 11:03 PM
06/14/15 11:03 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest

great post alfa, I am one guy who completely agrees with you, crime-buster my ass, he's a shameless self-serving egomaniac. and deserves no respect.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: rockstar_man45] #846216
06/14/15 11:05 PM
06/14/15 11:05 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
From what I can see, no two posters have the exact same take on guiliani. Turnbull loves him. Pizza can't stand him. But for polarity's sake, you could say my opinion is the opposite pole to Turnbull's. I really don't see any redeeming qualities in giuliani as an attempted but failed human.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Binnie_Coll] #846217
06/14/15 11:06 PM
06/14/15 11:06 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Thanks Binnie. It is warming to even read a mere reply from you.

Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Alfa Romeo] #846218
06/14/15 11:10 PM
06/14/15 11:10 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I don't have a great deal of respect for guiliani.

There's a big fucking surprise lol.

He stole Walter Mack's recognition for his hard work and achievements

Walter Mack worked for him. It happens every day, private sector, public sector, you name it.

and protected the mafia.

Yeah, he protected the Mafia. How many of YOUR relatives did Giuliani put away? If the answer isn't greater than zero, please don't reply to me, or I'm likely to go off the fucking rails.

Because I distinctly remember having this exact same conversation with you the other day in another thread when you said "You're right. I'm busted. I'm no street guy."

You then went on the same diatribe about Giuliani helping the Mafia because "I continue to be mesmerized by the recount of history in Murder Machine." No shit you're not a street guy. A street guy would never use the word mesmerized lol.

See? I'm trying to be nice by using humor. But Giuliani's goal was to break the fucking Mafia. And if you have a single relative who died in prison because of that man, and you still think he helped the mob, then I'll value your opinion somewhat. But we both know Goddamn well that that didn't happen. So let's leave it at that.

Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Alfa Romeo] #846219
06/14/15 11:13 PM
06/14/15 11:13 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
From what I can see, no two posters have the exact same take on guiliani. Turnbull loves him. Pizza can't stand him. But for polarity's sake, you could say my opinion is the opposite pole to Turnbull's. I really don't see any redeeming qualities in giuliani as an attempted but failed human.

You misread both PB and me, Alfa. PB said he loved him while he was in office, but can't stand him now. I said he was a great mayor but I didn't say I loved him then or now--I admired him as a great mayor.

Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: pizzaboy] #846220
06/14/15 11:14 PM
06/14/15 11:14 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
LOL

Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Alfa Romeo] #846221
06/14/15 11:18 PM
06/14/15 11:18 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

Whoa, I loved Giuliani as Mayor and said as much in my initial post about him. As a District Attorney? That's a different story. And post 9/11, I can't stand the self-adulation, and he'd never get my vote. Unless it was against Hillary.

Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
great post alfa, I am one guy who completely agrees with you, crime-buster my ass, he's a shameless self-serving egomaniac. and deserves no respect.

All you do is parrot what he says. What's considered a crime buster in Idaho? Barney Fife?

Thanks Binnie. It is warming to even read a mere reply from you.

He practices an awful lot. You're either the same guy or he has a serious man-crush on you lol.

Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Turnbull] #846222
06/14/15 11:19 PM
06/14/15 11:19 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
You misread both PB and me, Alfa. PB said he loved him while he was in office, but can't stand him now.

Thanks, TB. I'm glad someone read it through smile.

Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: pizzaboy] #846224
06/14/15 11:24 PM
06/14/15 11:24 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
LOl I'd have to log in and out pretty fast to pretend to be both Binnie and Alfa. But I think we couldn't be mistaken for the same guy being as we have different IP addresses whistle LOL

Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Alfa Romeo] #846225
06/14/15 11:38 PM
06/14/15 11:38 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
LOl I'd have to log in and out pretty fast to pretend to be both Binnie and Alfa. But I think we couldn't be mistaken for the same guy being as we have different IP addresses whistle LOL

That was obviously a joke, too. I'm trying to show what a funny guy I can be lol.

Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Revis_Knicks] #846226
06/14/15 11:52 PM
06/14/15 11:52 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
no, we don't have barney fife, but if a guy wanted to sell a couple of cigarettes on the street here in CDA, the cops would not kill him.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Binnie_Coll] #846228
06/15/15 12:15 AM
06/15/15 12:15 AM
Good ole USA
R
rockstar_man45 Offline
Capo
rockstar_man45  Offline
R
Capo
Good ole USA
Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll

And you would know this because you're a smart, worldly, well educated individual? rolleyes

Please. I'll take the opinions of people who ACUTALLY lived in New York under the time of Guiliani as mayor and his time as DA. I also have an aunt, uncle, and numerous friends who remember life under Rudy Guiliani as the mayor. Was he perfect man? Absolutely not and people will have different opinions him. The problem is yours is based on virtually nothing.

Alfa same goes for you. Especially when you misread posts as often as you do

Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: rockstar_man45] #846230
06/15/15 12:20 AM
06/15/15 12:20 AM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
True rockstar, I misread posts, but that's because of quickly skimming them. Did I reside in NYC during "Giuliani Time!" ?

You Betcha.

And anyone from here knows exactly what Guiliani Time meant.

Re: Opinion of Rudy Giuliani as mayor [Re: Alfa Romeo] #846231
06/15/15 12:32 AM
06/15/15 12:32 AM
Good ole USA
R
rockstar_man45 Offline
Capo
rockstar_man45  Offline
R
Capo
Good ole USA
True rockstar, I misread posts, but that's because of quickly skimming them. Did I reside in NYC during "Giuliani Time!" ?

You Betcha.

And anyone from here knows exactly what Guiliani Time meant.

Maybe when New York got safer and a more enjoyable place to live. Just my guess. I heard the seventies and eighties really weren't a great period for many in NYC

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull