GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 305 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,923
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,825
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? #841301
05/09/15 09:09 AM
05/09/15 09:09 AM
A
alicecooper Offline OP
Underboss
alicecooper  Offline OP
A
Underboss
From what I can see, it seems like they don't really use Rico on common street gangs? Why not, they definitely commit enough crime and are big enough in scope? Not necessary because the drug and violent crime arrests bring enough time on their own?

It just seems out of character that they don't; we all know how government and media love headlines about 300 count indictments, multi-jusrisdictional task force, etc.

If I get this right, Illinois made it's own Rico act...
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/story/22587034/new-rico-law-leads-to-street-gang-arrests

Or do the feds just not generally prioritize street gangs, leaving only state level prosecutors to bring the charges, and most of the states do not have individually crafted Rico laws?

Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: alicecooper] #841306
05/09/15 09:45 AM
05/09/15 09:45 AM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
I thought they do use RICO against street gangs. Do you know the documentary series "Gangland"? In almost every episode it's the same story: a gang wreaks havoc in their city, the police try to do something, but almost always fail miserably due to the gang's capacity of "regeneration" and replacement of the arrested members, so at the end they call the FBI and a RICO case gets made with dozens of gangsters being sent away for a long time.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: Dwalin2011] #841307
05/09/15 10:02 AM
05/09/15 10:02 AM
A
alicecooper Offline OP
Underboss
alicecooper  Offline OP
A
Underboss
not saying Gangland doesn't get it right sometimes, but the shows I saw were a joke, not really documentaries.

Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: alicecooper] #841308
05/09/15 10:18 AM
05/09/15 10:18 AM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
Originally Posted By: alicecooper
not saying Gangland doesn't get it right sometimes, but the shows I saw were a joke, not really documentaries.

I agree, especially the one about the Native American gangs and the Pagans motorcycle club, watching those episodes was like watching a comedy; especially the former Pagans club president, James DeGregorio who was enraged that his former accomplices started to do jobs like delivering toys to children dressed as Santa Claus.
-"we're not good-doers!!! We're against the law!!! Half of my friends are in prison or dead!" lol lol lol

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: alicecooper] #841309
05/09/15 10:19 AM
05/09/15 10:19 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

They use it plenty. If you go to the USDOJ websites to actually track such stats, you'll find that they use it just as much with street gangs as they do with LCN, it just doesn't make the same headlines.

Suburban America (where you're not likely to meet a Crip, a Blood OR a Mafioso), loves a good gangster story. The street gang stuff just doesn't market as well, so you don't read about it.

So the whole argument of "why don't they go after the Black dealers?" really is a crock of shit. Just because you don't read about it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

As an aside, most States now have their own RICO type statute.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: alicecooper] #841311
05/09/15 10:33 AM
05/09/15 10:33 AM
Mississippi - 662
B
BlackFamily Offline
Underboss
BlackFamily  Offline
B
Underboss
Mississippi - 662
@ Alicecooper,

Me & Scorsese are the Scribes of the Street Gang Archives. Go through either one of our profiles and check all the posts from the past.

@ PB,

Surburban America can actually meet Crips, Bloods, etc since they moved there decades ago. It's more or less Hollywood portrayal of stereotypes and discrimination.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb
Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: alicecooper] #841312
05/09/15 10:45 AM
05/09/15 10:45 AM
Garbageman Offline
Made Member
Garbageman  Offline
Made Member
Recently, the feds were going to indict the owner of Pilot/Flying J.on a RICO charge for his employees robbing trucking companies of their fuel rebates. As soon as the RICO rumors started flying, the settlement talks began and since the owners brother is the governor of Tennessee and the owner himself owns not only Pilot/Flying J., but the Cleveland Browns as well, money talked and the bullshit walked.
Jimmy Haslam company Pilot Flying J to pay $92M fine
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11214330/jimmy-haslam-company-pilot-flying-j-pay-92m-fine

Last edited by Garbageman; 05/09/15 10:46 AM.
Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: pizzaboy] #841313
05/09/15 10:51 AM
05/09/15 10:51 AM
A
alicecooper Offline OP
Underboss
alicecooper  Offline OP
A
Underboss
i was just looking around on there, is there a section that has graphs, percentages, etc?

I've seen the big reports, like the National gang one, but unaware of what all is out there.

Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: alicecooper] #841329
05/09/15 01:24 PM
05/09/15 01:24 PM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss
Actually Illinois has its own recently enacted street gang rico act which they have been frequently using against gangs such as the black souls, certain vice lord factions and the hobos. They even used it against that alleged outfit crew that was robbing drug stash houses.

Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: alicecooper] #841332
05/09/15 01:45 PM
05/09/15 01:45 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Because of the general public's interest in fictional and real life Cosa Nostra figures...the targeting and prosecution of alleged members is "leading story" "press conference" material.

Street gangs which commit more violent acts.....or other ethnic mobs involved in the trafficking of women and kids are also targeted by fed. and state law enforcement but not as "newsworthy" as deemed by those who make those decisions.

Street killings and forced slavery/prostitution don't get the same headlines as the word "mafia"...or the same amount of l.e. resources.

"Mafia" is the golden goose for feds....careers are made with high profile convictions.

Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: getthesenets] #841333
05/09/15 01:59 PM
05/09/15 01:59 PM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Because of the general public's interest in fictional and real life Cosa Nostra figures...the targeting and prosecution of alleged members is "leading story" "press conference" material.

People love the mafia just off the movies alone. Anyone remember when the departed came out, it felt like every show tried to include some nondescript irish mob group and that stupid dropkick murphy song was everywhere.

Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: BlackFamily] #841338
05/09/15 02:22 PM
05/09/15 02:22 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: BlackFamily
@ PB,

Surburban America can actually meet Crips, Bloods, etc since they moved there decades ago. It's more or less Hollywood portrayal of stereotypes and discrimination.

I hear you, BF. And I have no doubt that "successful" Black criminals have moved out of the ghettos and into the suburbs. Fuck, it's what half the Italian criminals did after they got made lol. But that's not the point I was trying to make.

My point was that your average Lilly White, "John Q. Public," is a lot more interested in the LCN than about the gangs because of the way they've seen them portrayed in movies.

If you look at my initial post, I made it very clear that the Feds go after the gangs just as much as they go after the wiseguys. You just don't read about it because the people I was referring to don't care to read about it. I was also quick to point out that when White people use silly lines like "why don't they go after the Black drug dealers?" that it's a line of self-serving steaming shit.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: alicecooper] #841340
05/09/15 02:28 PM
05/09/15 02:28 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
It's a pity that non-Italian gangs don't make headlines. I would like especially to see documentaries about the Russian, Albanian and Greek mafia in USA. Why hasn't anybody done a documentary or a book on Alex Rudaj's gang for example? And I thought the Russian mafia could make headlines in newspapers, considering how often it's used as villains in the movies.

Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: Dwalin2011] #841341
05/09/15 02:38 PM
05/09/15 02:38 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011
It's a pity that non-Italian gangs don't make headlines. I would like especially to see documentaries about the Russian, Albanian and Greek mafia in USA. Why hasn't anybody done a documentary or a book on Alex Rudaj's gang for example? And I thought the Russian mafia could make headlines in newspapers, considering how often it's used as villains in the movies.

I agree with you, Dwalin. But marketing boils down to demand, especially in the publishing industry. Especially today, in the age of e-books. There just isn't enough demand for publishers to hand out advances for books about obscure gangs that aren't likely to appeal to the masses.

However, I mentioned e-books for a reason. I predict that you'll be seeing a lot more e-books about low-end criminals that won't be very credible. Look no further than the Leiber/Cicale joint project as the example. These 80-page e-books are the 21st-century equivalent of the 1950's True Detective magazine (which, ironically, were rarely very true at all).

Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: pizzaboy] #841343
05/09/15 02:48 PM
05/09/15 02:48 PM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

They use it plenty. If you go to the USDOJ websites to actually track such stats, you'll find that they use it just as much with street gangs as they do with LCN, it just doesn't make the same headlines.

Suburban America (where you're not likely to meet a Crip, a Blood OR a Mafioso), loves a good gangster story. The street gang stuff just doesn't market as well, so you don't read about it.

So the whole argument of "why don't they go after the Black dealers?" really is a crock of shit. Just because you don't read about it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

what suburbs are you talking about?

the suburbs around chicago look like a ragedy area of chicago with more land

Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: pizzaboy] #841344
05/09/15 03:03 PM
05/09/15 03:03 PM
Mississippi - 662
B
BlackFamily Offline
Underboss
BlackFamily  Offline
B
Underboss
Mississippi - 662
True , I see your point and it's amazing how ignorant some can be despite the technology available.

@ Cook,

He's not talking specifically about Chicago just the generation raised in their suburbs.

If you think you are too small to make a difference, you haven't spend the night with a mosquito.
- African Proverb
Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: BlackFamily] #841347
05/09/15 03:11 PM
05/09/15 03:11 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: BlackFamily
@ Cook,

He's not talking specifically about Chicago just the generation raised in their suburbs.

Exactly. An entire generation (mostly White kids who grew up in Suburbia) believes that the Feds are still on a witch-hunt against Italians and that the predominantly Black gangs are left alone. All they have to do is go to the DOJ website and look up the indictments and the ratios. But most of them aren't interested in the truth anyway wink.

Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: Garbageman] #841350
05/09/15 04:07 PM
05/09/15 04:07 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Garbageman
Recently, the feds were going to indict the owner of Pilot/Flying J.on a RICO charge for his employees robbing trucking companies of their fuel rebates. As soon as the RICO rumors started flying, the settlement talks began and since the owners brother is the governor of Tennessee and the owner himself owns not only Pilot/Flying J., but the Cleveland Browns as well, money talked and the bullshit walked.
Jimmy Haslam company Pilot Flying J to pay $92M fine
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11214330/jimmy-haslam-company-pilot-flying-j-pay-92m-fine

WOW!!

Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: alicecooper] #841355
05/09/15 04:31 PM
05/09/15 04:31 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

they do alot just doesnt get the headlines like some old godfather types.

Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: pmac] #841359
05/09/15 04:51 PM
05/09/15 04:51 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Pizza,

Do you think news coverage of actual gangsters and events did more to create this American fascination with LCN or do you think it was more because of fictional gangsters that crossed over into pop culture in film and tv? or a combination of both?

Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: getthesenets] #841361
05/09/15 05:10 PM
05/09/15 05:10 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Pizza,

Do you think news coverage of actual gangsters and events did more to create this American fascination with LCN or do you think it was more because of fictional gangsters that crossed over into pop culture in film and tv? or a combination of both?

Probably a combination. But it was the fictional "man of honor" portrayals more than anything else. Although it's an interesting dichotomy. The third act of "Goodfellas" showed them true to form, and yet it still created a generation of wannabes.

Fast forward another ten years, and we're seeing Tony Soprano banging hookers and walking outside in his underwear to pick up his morning paper (while scratching his ass, to boot). Now, that's a FAR CRY from Don Corleone in his tuxedo doling out favors to the common man, and yet it still influenced some kids into thinking it's a great life.

But to be fair, it didn't start with the gangster movie. It started with the old cowboy movies. There will always be people who feel the need to identify and root for the guy with the black hat on.

My personal opinion is that if you're dumb enough to become a criminal based on a movie that you saw, that you probably would have ended up a criminal even if you hadn't seen it.

People HATE hearing this. But most criminals are stupid. I don't give a shit what anyone says.

Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: pizzaboy] #841366
05/09/15 05:46 PM
05/09/15 05:46 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Hence the reason so many on these forums don't really have any idea what's going on. Their insight extends to the latest headline and whatever board talk they read.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: alicecooper] #841374
05/09/15 07:10 PM
05/09/15 07:10 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
RICO is used plenty of times against Street Gangs and it's leaders. You only need to look back at the Reagan era to see that most of the heads of those drug crews were given life sentences off of RICO cases. OG Mack was convicted off RICO. King Blood, RICO, they tried to use it ln King Tone more than once, he was lucky.

Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: pizzaboy] #841384
05/09/15 09:10 PM
05/09/15 09:10 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011

I agree with you, Dwalin. But marketing boils down to demand, especially in the publishing industry. Especially today, in the age of e-books. There just isn't enough demand for publishers to hand out advances for books about obscure gangs that aren't likely to appeal to the masses.

However, I mentioned e-books for a reason. I predict that you'll be seeing a lot more e-books about low-end criminals that won't be very credible. Look no further than the Leiber/Cicale joint project as the example. These 80-page e-books are the 21st-century equivalent of the 1950's True Detective magazine (which, ironically, were rarely very true at all).

lol Lol all those horrible e books out there especially the one from our buddy Ed. How about mafia secret judge, ever hear of that one. Ha! Mob Candy Mag and all those wannabe guys.

Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: pizzaboy] #841426
05/10/15 08:47 AM
05/10/15 08:47 AM
A
alicecooper Offline OP
Underboss
alicecooper  Offline OP
A
Underboss

is this one of the reports you mean or are there others that are better/different? Didn't read the whole thing yet, looks like there are large holes in some of the info just browsing...

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fjs12st.pdf

the bolded part--if that is directed toward my original post, I never said they don't go after them I asked why it didn't seem like they used Rico against them much (which apparently is not correct anyway).

Last edited by alicecooper; 05/10/15 08:49 AM.
Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: alicecooper] #841427
05/10/15 08:51 AM
05/10/15 08:51 AM
A
alicecooper Offline OP
Underboss
alicecooper  Offline OP
A
Underboss
and the flood of shitty ebooks coming---ugh.

I'm sure the editing will be superb. smile

Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: alicecooper] #841433
05/10/15 09:30 AM
05/10/15 09:30 AM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

next rico case for a mmobster gonna be vinncent asoro. guy looks like death hes 80+ the feds let out all the tapes of him talking shit about the bosses so hes shelved and there gonna waste millions on this trial. on the brightside there gonna drag massino out for more history lessons. he got that lawyer mcchon the beast, so he must have had a little money put away after being a mobster for 70yrs. looking foward to it hasnt been a good mob trial probaly since whiteys last year. but ones coming, another mafia taking down the front page shit. could you ever ever seeing them doing multi boss case ceful crea whoever the westsides guy the month. when that guy barney was indicted they took down the whole westside acting under, consig, and boss. massino to.

Last edited by pmac; 05/10/15 09:33 AM.
Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: SinatraClub] #841442
05/10/15 11:09 AM
05/10/15 11:09 AM
NJ
F
FrankMazola Offline
Underboss
FrankMazola  Offline
F
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: SinatraClub
RICO is used plenty of times against Street Gangs and it's leaders. You only need to look back at the Reagan era to see that most of the heads of those drug crews were given life sentences off of RICO cases. OG Mack was convicted off RICO. King Blood, RICO, they tried to use it ln King Tone more than once, he was lucky.

Proving a RICO offense just isn't as easy with a street gang as it is with a mafia family. There are 4 overarching types of RICO violations. Here's an exempt from my White Collar Crime Outline.

(a) Use income from “racketeering pattern” to acquire an illegal enterprise
- buying the enterprise
(b) Acquiring an interest in an enterprise through pattern of racketeering.
- Acquiring FROM racketeering
- Goodfellas “Bamboo Lounge”
(c) Employed by enterprise
- Made guy/ associate
- Employer/ Enterprise = distinct
(d) Helping further a,b,c- Enterprise
- Common Purpose
- Relationship btwn associates
- Longevity
- 2+ people

If you look at the bottom, the "common purpose" element is often difficult to satisfy with a street gang. With the mafia, it's a glorified pyramid scheme. The purpose is to keep the organization going. It's been stated that LCN is intended on "outlasting" it's present generation. Gangs aren't the same way. Often times there's no criminal activity-for-profit outside of hurting/ killing people.

Last edited by FrankMazola; 05/10/15 02:25 PM.

F. Mazola, Esq.
Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: pizzaboy] #841444
05/10/15 11:11 AM
05/10/15 11:11 AM
NJ
F
FrankMazola Offline
Underboss
FrankMazola  Offline
F
Underboss
NJ

People HATE hearing this. But most criminals are stupid. I don't give a shit what anyone says.

Truest statement in the world. I've never represented or prosecuted an intelligent criminal. If I found one, I'd probably give him a pass just for making my job semi interesting, but I'm not holding my breath (joke, people…… sort of.)

F. Mazola, Esq.
Re: RICO for street gangs, why don't they use it? [Re: cookcounty] #841484
05/10/15 06:55 PM
05/10/15 06:55 PM
F
funkster Offline
Underboss
funkster  Offline
F
Underboss
Originally Posted By: cookcounty

what suburbs are you talking about?

the suburbs around chicago look like a ragedy area of chicago with more land

What suburb are YOU talking about? That's a pretty broad generalization. And not exactly true.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull