GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (2 invisible), 227 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,324
Posts1,058,607
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: I read 5 families for the 2nd time. [Re: pizzaboy] #839216
04/26/15 02:21 PM
04/26/15 02:21 PM
NY
B
blacksheep Offline
Underboss
blacksheep  Offline
B
Underboss
NY
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
I was amazed at how much money they were making on these gas ripoffs, in the tens of millions.

If the wiseguys can steal that much in a gasoline racket, how much do you think the Government makes?

Why else would we give two shits what goes on in the Middle East?

Call me crazy.

Saying the government is the 'real mafia' is a cliche at this point, but when u follow the money and consider our involvement in the middle east, it kinda nails that phrase perfectly

Make that coffee to go
Re: I read 5 families for the 2nd time. [Re: Walkner] #839303
04/27/15 08:21 AM
04/27/15 08:21 AM
BennyB Offline
Made Member
BennyB  Offline
Made Member
Valachi's book, and Valachi himself, gets a lot of criticism, but I like it.

There are a lot of problems with the Valachi book: he actually doesn't know that much, a lot of speculation, also (and most importantly) who was the "Buster from Chicago" character? Was it Valachi himself?

For a lot of people of a certain age, Valachi was the first book they read about the mob. That's too bad because it started them off with a bunch of shaky facts. I was lucky enough to read some great books like Five Families, Wiseguy and Donnie Brasco BEFORE Valachi.

The good thing about that is I already had a bunch of knowledge that allowed me to fish through the shaky facts and enjoy the story. There's so much there. People always say he was a "nobody," just a soldier, etc... But in the story, (true or not) he interacts with so many huge and famous mobsters from those early times. I especially like the first 10 pages or so when he talks about his childhood. A lot like "Angela's Ashes."

The Vinny Teresa book is similar in that way. /end of rant.

Re: I read 5 families for the 2nd time. [Re: americafyeah] #839888
04/29/15 11:05 PM
04/29/15 11:05 PM
B
BMoney Offline
Associate
BMoney  Offline
B
Associate
Originally Posted By: americafyeah
i think you guys kind of overrate his book on this board. raab's writing style seemed pretty dry to me,and he uses a lot of unnecessary big words that no one ever uses in real life,outside of academia maybe. it's also maybe too ambitious. if i want to read a sweeping account of mob history that covers hundreds of years,i prefer something in encyclopedic form like jay Robert nash's books. it just doesn't work as well in the format of a chronology. just one man's opinion,of course. carry on

I know in my first post feeding a potential troll isn't the best of starts, but to suggest that Raab uses words that are too big is kind of ridiculous. My vocabulary isn't that expansive but at no point did I feel the need to refer to a dictionary or thesaurus

Re: I read 5 families for the 2nd time. [Re: BMoney] #840348
05/01/15 09:39 PM
05/01/15 09:39 PM
A
americafyeah Offline
Capo
americafyeah  Offline
A
Capo
Originally Posted By: BMoney
Originally Posted By: americafyeah
i think you guys kind of overrate his book on this board. raab's writing style seemed pretty dry to me,and he uses a lot of unnecessary big words that no one ever uses in real life,outside of academia maybe. it's also maybe too ambitious. if i want to read a sweeping account of mob history that covers hundreds of years,i prefer something in encyclopedic form like jay Robert nash's books. it just doesn't work as well in the format of a chronology. just one man's opinion,of course. carry on

I know in my first post feeding a potential troll isn't the best of starts, but to suggest that Raab uses words that are too big is kind of ridiculous. My vocabulary isn't that expansive but at no point did I feel the need to refer to a dictionary or thesaurus

ok,i just turned to a random page in the book to see if I was correct and I saw words like
"omnibus"
"spurious"
"hob-knobbing"
sorry,but these aren't regular words people use everyday. not to pass judgment on the author,I kind of get the feeling he's not the most down to earth or street guy ever. working at the ny times for 40 years will do that.

Re: I read 5 families for the 2nd time. [Re: Walkner] #840359
05/02/15 03:13 AM
05/02/15 03:13 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Hob-knobbing sounds like something that would get a guy killed.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: I read 5 families for the 2nd time. [Re: Moe_Tilden] #840539
05/03/15 06:54 AM
05/03/15 06:54 AM
A
americafyeah Offline
Capo
americafyeah  Offline
A
Capo
Originally Posted By: Moe_Tilden
Hob-knobbing sounds like something that would get a guy killed.

lol lol

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull