GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 544 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,123
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,384
Posts1,059,727
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joe Valachi question #825792
01/26/15 09:29 AM
01/26/15 09:29 AM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline OP
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline OP
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
I understand that he was a lower tier mafia guy and may not have known all that was going on in with the upper echelon.
But is it true that he knew absolutely nothing about the charts they made up during his testimony to the senate committee?

I'm reading deal with the devil right now and their making it like it was the f.b.i. And Greg scarpa who had that information about the five separate families and their structure.
Joe cargo was used as the frontman I guess you could say.

Is there truth to that?

"My uncle(Nicky Scarfo) always told me, you have to use your brains in this thing, and you always have to use the gun." -"crazy" Phil Leonetti-
Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: PhillyMob] #825801
01/26/15 10:14 AM
01/26/15 10:14 AM
Castellammare del Golfo
Malandrino Offline
Underboss
Malandrino  Offline
Underboss
Castellammare del Golfo
Nobody knows for sure. They were both soliders, once with the Colombos the other with the Genovese... so why in the world would Scarpa know MUCH more than Valachi?

I believe those charts and a lot of other info came from MANY other FBI sources, some of which are probably not even known today, including illegal wiretaps, etc, etc.

All these were "put into" Vachali's mouth at the big commitee to make it appear as he was a key member of the WHOLE Cosa Nostra, not just his family.
Also Vito Genovese is known as "Don Vitone" there. I think that's just a name Costello called him, if anybody else in his family did it, I'm sure they'd be ground fertilizer the next day.

-I shot him a coupla' times.
-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?
-Hmm, it could've been fifteen...

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso
Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: PhillyMob] #825807
01/26/15 10:50 AM
01/26/15 10:50 AM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss
The only thing Valachi really brought to light was the name, "Cosa Nostra". The feds already had an idea of what they called themselves but couldn't figure out if it was Nostra, Nosca or some other stuff. After a conversation with one of his briefing agents, Valachi was asked what they called their organization, and one agent remarked, "I know it's Cosa..." basically baiting Valachi, in which Valachi responded, "Cosa Nostra, so you know it then."

The charts and pretty much everything else they'd had gathered from the illegal wiretaps placed by Hoover and Anslinger's black book.

Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: PhillyMob] #825819
01/26/15 11:52 AM
01/26/15 11:52 AM
H
ht2 Offline
Capo
ht2  Offline
H
Capo

Even if he was prepped for his committee testimony, it would be a strawman argument and dumb to suggest he knew nothing about the mafia after 30 years of service. I'm not sure if he brought anything new to the table but his recounting of the initiation ritual may have been something not heard before. His personal experiences were certainly real.

Last edited by ht2; 01/28/15 10:31 AM.
Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: PhillyMob] #825821
01/26/15 12:58 PM
01/26/15 12:58 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline OP
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline OP
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Thank you for responses.

I no at that time there were a lot of illegal wiretaps going on. Roemer talks about that in his book about Tony Accardo and that was Chicago so you no that it was being done in New York as well. Problem was, they couldn't be used in court. But they got a lot of valuable information that would help in the coming years.

"My uncle(Nicky Scarfo) always told me, you have to use your brains in this thing, and you always have to use the gun." -"crazy" Phil Leonetti-
Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: Malandrino] #825825
01/26/15 01:08 PM
01/26/15 01:08 PM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Malandrino
Nobody knows for sure. They were both soliders, once with the Colombos the other with the Genovese... so why in the world would Scarpa know MUCH more than Valachi?

I believe those charts and a lot of other info came from MANY other FBI sources, some of which are probably not even known today, including illegal wiretaps, etc, etc.

All these were "put into" Vachali's mouth at the big commitee to make it appear as he was a key member of the WHOLE Cosa Nostra, not just his family.
Also Vito Genovese is known as "Don Vitone" there. I think that's just a name Costello called him, if anybody else in his family did it, I'm sure they'd be ground fertilizer the next day.

Greg Scarpa: By far gave the Feds more(for decades) and had his hands in more, and was connected to more familys then any other rat in the history of the New York Mafia. " Hands down "

Sorry Joe V

Last edited by Serpiente; 01/26/15 01:09 PM.

Cackling like a banty Rooster.

I love this," "I just love this."
Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: Serpiente] #825829
01/26/15 01:40 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline OP
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline OP
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Originally Posted By: Serpiente

Greg Scarpa: By far gave the Feds more(for decades) and had his hands in more, and was connected to more familys then any other rat in the history of the New York Mafia. " Hands down "

Sorry Joe V

I'm not done the book yet. But I still definitely agree with that statement.

Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: PhillyMob] #825830
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

His book sucked

Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: pmac] #825831
01/26/15 01:42 PM
01/26/15 01:42 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline OP
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline OP
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Originally Posted By: pmac
His book sucked

Whose book? I think deal with devil is one of the better books that I read. If that's what your talking about.

Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: Serpiente] #825848
01/26/15 03:16 PM
01/26/15 03:16 PM
Castellammare del Golfo
Malandrino Offline
Underboss
Malandrino  Offline
Underboss
Castellammare del Golfo
Originally Posted By: Serpiente
[/quote]

Sorry Joe V

Yeah but we're talking about 1963 here, Scarpa was little more than a buttonman... he couldn't POSSIBLY know the hierarchy of the 5 families.

-I shot him a coupla' times.
-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?
-Hmm, it could've been fifteen...

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso
Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: Malandrino] #825850
01/26/15 03:27 PM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
I get you ,I did not mean it that way at all.
In the 60's Scarpa was working for the highest in government ,CIA Feds ect. and thats just what we know....And he knew most of the families leaders.

Hell he could have killed that KKK guy and then he would have done a hit for the CIA?Feds( can not remember) and got paid for it..

Last edited by Serpiente; 01/26/15 03:33 PM.

Cackling like a banty Rooster.

I love this," "I just love this."
Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: Malandrino] #825851
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Valachi was living in Yonkers at the time of his last arrest. Cockeyed Nick Rattenni was the Genovese power in Westchester County at that time, and Valachi could barely give them anything on the guy. And he lived in his own backyard. That's very telling.

Cockeyed Nick was on Bobby Kennedy's personal hit list. He was mentioned in Kennedy's book "The Enemy Within," as Frank Cosetello's closest friend, or some bullshit like that (but they WERE very close).

Point being, the Feds would have delighted in putting him away. That Valachi didn't really name him speaks volumes. And it wasn't out of loyalty, it was because Valachi was kept at arm's length from Nick and his crew.

In my opinion, the Feds put AT LEAST half of Valachi's testimony in his mouth.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: PhillyMob] #825852
01/26/15 03:34 PM
01/26/15 03:34 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
valachi knew a lot, if he was such a low level guy why was he so close to vito Genovese? vito was his best man at his wedding, also his wifes father or uncle, I forget which. gaetano reina, was boss of the luchesse family before he was shot and killed, giving valachi a friendship with Thomas luchesse.

valachi recounted many murders, and events that were true, he had an amazing memory, he was not as low-level as some would think.

he was present when maranzano created the five families, he knew a lot of people. greg scarpa was low-level when he first started ratting, but, he was the biggest rat of all, snitching for 3o years.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: PhillyMob] #825854
01/26/15 03:39 PM
01/26/15 03:39 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
Daddio told me Joe Valache lived around the corner from us in the iron place barn when he was a kid.

On a Hun 7 between first ave and the east river.

The iron place was still there when I was a kid. It was a scrap iron business and they still used horses and carts to carry the stuff. When they left to work my friend Donnie and I would rob the place of anything of value that they had which wasn't much.

We and our other friends used to shoot the rats in that horse barn for fun.

They had a junk yard dog to protect the place. Later they just stopped buying them

only the unloved hate
Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: Binnie_Coll] #825855
01/26/15 03:44 PM
01/26/15 03:44 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
valachi knew a lot, if he was such a low level guy why was he so close to vito Genovese? vito was his best man at his wedding, also his wifes father or uncle, I forget which. gaetano reina, was boss of the luchesse family before he was shot and killed, giving valachi a friendship with Thomas luchesse.

valachi recounted many murders, and events that were true, he had an amazing memory, he was not as low-level as some would think.

he was present when maranzano created the five families, he knew a lot of people. greg scarpa was low-level when he first started ratting, but, he was the biggest rat of all, snitching for 3o years.

I never said he was that low level. I just stated the absolute fact that he was kept at arm's length by some of the Family (namely the Bronx and Westchester wings).

Now I don't know if that information is available online or in a book, and I really don't care. Because that's how the Westside operates. Back then, and up until today. If you were a soldier, you knew your skipper. That's it. Simple as that. And that's the way it's SUPPOSED to be.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: PhillyMob] #825860
01/26/15 03:51 PM
01/26/15 03:51 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
he may have been kept at arms length because he was a big heroin dealer. [good reason] and I would not doubt that hoover and the fbi schooled him a great deal.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: pizzaboy] #825864
01/26/15 04:32 PM
01/26/15 04:32 PM
dominic_calabrese Offline
Made Member
dominic_calabrese  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Because that's how the Westside operates. Back then, and up until today. If you were a soldier, you knew your skipper. That's it. Simple as that. And that's the way it's SUPPOSED to be.

Certainly this would be a good way to promote secrecy, and to keep the identities of other members and higher-up's secret from low-ranking members.

However, whether from movies or from books, I thought that during initiation ceremonies many (if not all) other members of the family, including the boss, would be in attendance and circle around the new members, who would then swear their loyalty to them

So, for instance, this =

Valachi gave the most well-known description of the ceremony:

“I sit down at the table. There is wine. Someone put a gun and a knife in front of me. The gun was a .38 and the knife was what we call a dagger. Maranzano [the boss] motions us up and we say some words in Italian. Then Joe Bonanno pricks my finger with a pin and squeezes until the blood comes out. What then happens, Mr. Maranzano says, ‘This blood means that we are now one Family. You live by the gun and the knife and you die by the gun and the knife.’”

Valachi was inducted with three others. There were about 40 members present, so the new initiates could “meet the family.”

Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: dominic_calabrese] #825866
01/26/15 04:54 PM
01/26/15 04:54 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: dominic_calabrese
Because that's how the Westside operates. Back then, and up until today. If you were a soldier, you knew your skipper. That's it. Simple as that. And that's the way it's SUPPOSED to be.

Certainly this would be a good way to promote secrecy, and to keep the identities of other members and higher-up's secret from low-ranking members.

However, whether from movies or from books, I thought that during initiation ceremonies many (if not all) other members of the family, including the boss, would be in attendance and circle around the new members, who would then swear their loyalty to them

All members of the family? You mean like 350-400 made guys in one place when the mob was in its heyday? That's the movies, and a bad movie at that.

There are cases of guys getting made with only two or three other guys in a room. In certain instances, guys have been made by the Underboss while the Boss was in prison or unavailable. And speaking of prison, a few guys have been made while in jail over the years.

At the MOST, we're talking about the Administration, the Skippers and the Inductees at the ceremony. Inviting more guys than necessary to a making ceremony only makes for more potential witnesses. Simple as that.

Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: pizzaboy] #825869
01/26/15 05:28 PM
01/26/15 05:28 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline OP
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline OP
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida

All members of the family? You mean like 350-400 made guys in one place when the mob was in its heyday? That's the movies, and a bad movie at that.

There are cases of guys getting made with only two or three other guys in a room. In certain instances, guys have been made by the Underboss while the Boss was in prison or unavailable. And speaking of prison, a few guys have been made while in jail over the years.

At the MOST, we're talking about the Administration, the Skippers and the Inductees at the ceremony. Inviting more guys than necessary to a making ceremony only makes for more potential witnesses. Simple as that.

Yea I agree pizza that's what made me ask the question. Because not only would it be difficult for Joe Valachi to be able to name all them people in different families but that would be difficult for a boss as well.
Documentaries just make it seem like joe was the man who put all the lists and structures together. (Not saying he couldn't. But difficult for anyone, even with inside knowledge).

I guess all the books I'm reading are making me shine some new light to stuff I previously heard. But heard in different ways.
Just interesting to me.

Thanks again all.

Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: PhillyMob] #825882
01/26/15 07:23 PM
01/26/15 07:23 PM
dominic_calabrese Offline
Made Member
dominic_calabrese  Offline
Made Member

I didn't do the math when I said the entire family! I was thinking maybe 20 to 30 people. Valachi quote above says 40 people.

However, how to contextualize the passing around of names of potential inductees for vetting by the other families? And what about the list of mob inductees that was found in John Gotti Jr's basement?

Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: dominic_calabrese] #825884
01/26/15 07:39 PM
01/26/15 07:39 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I didn't do the math when I said the entire family! I was thinking maybe 20 to 30 people. Valachi quote above says 40 people.

Which fits into what I posted: The Skippers, the Administration and the Inductees. Which, depending on the family, would be somewhere in that range.

However, how to contextualize the passing around of names of potential inductees for vetting by the other families? And what about the list of mob inductees that was found in John Gotti Jr's basement?

How to contextualize that? Stupidity.

Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: PhillyMob] #825996
01/27/15 03:35 PM
01/27/15 03:35 PM
N.E. Philly/Florida
PhillyMob Offline OP
Capo
PhillyMob  Offline OP
Capo
N.E. Philly/Florida
Stupidity is right lol

Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: PhillyMob] #826073
01/28/15 10:40 AM
01/28/15 10:40 AM
H
ht2 Offline
Capo
ht2  Offline
H
Capo
I thought the Feds prepared the charts and lists but I was wrong. The NYPD prepared the charts at the McClellan/Valachi hearings. Here's a transcript from the McClellan hearings with an NYPD inspector:

----------

The CHAIRMAN. Have you gone over the information that the committee has obtained and conferred with the staff regarding it, and also with this witness, Joe Valachi?
Mr. SHANLEY. I haven't conferred with the witness.
The CHAIRMAN. You never conferred with the witness?
Mr. SHANLEY. No, sir.
The CHAIRMAN. So what you are going to testify to here is not a
result of any conference you have had with Valachi ?
Mr. SHANLEY. No, sir.

The CHAIRMAN. Very well, you may proceed.
----
Mr. ADLERMAN. "Will you explain how these charts were prepared, or were these charts prepared under your direction?
The CHAIRMAN. You have prepared some charts showing these different families that have been testified to here by the witness, have you?
Mr. SHANLEY. Yes, sir.
The CHAIRMAN. Have you prepared charts showing known members in each of these families.
Mr. SHANLEY. Yes, sir.
The CHAIRMAN. Then the charts that you are about to present here and testify to are charts showing the families that have been testified to here by the witness, and a number of the members of that family that are known to you in your official position in New York?
Mr. SHANLEY. Yes, sir.

Last edited by ht2; 01/28/15 11:19 AM.
Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: Malandrino] #826095
01/28/15 01:35 PM
01/28/15 01:35 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss

Why, what's so offensive in the Don Vitone nickname to make him mad? Vito Cascio Ferro was called Don Vitazzu, many bosses named Giuseppe are called Don Peppino etc, it's not like Antonino "Ferocious dwarf" Imerti or Toto' "the short one" (u curtu) Riina (also known as "the beast").

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: Dwalin2011] #826102
01/28/15 01:58 PM
01/28/15 01:58 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011

Why, what's so offensive in the Don Vitone nickname to make him mad? Vito Cascio Ferro was called Don Vitazzu, many bosses named Giuseppe are called Don Peppino etc, it's not like Antonino "Ferocious dwarf" Imerti or Toto' "the short one" (u curtu) Riina (also known as "the beast").

Maybe it's not a good idea to call someone like Vito Genovese by their first name, even if you preface it with "Don".

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: PhillyMob] #826103
01/28/15 02:06 PM
01/28/15 02:06 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
In the many books I have read, referring to a don is a matter of respect. don umberto [albert Anastasia] don pepino [joe bananno] don carlo [carlo Gambino} don tomasino [Thomas luchesse] don vitone [vito Genovese] all these dons were called don, it was their title.

and soliders and capos referred to them as such.

Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: PhillyMob] #826108
01/28/15 02:21 PM
01/28/15 02:21 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
I thought all dons are referred to by their first name, maybe not diminutive, like Don Toto' instead of Don Salvatore, but never by surname. The only examples where "don" precedes the surname are the Godfather movies.

By the way, do you think the Madison don Carlo Caputo could be called Hitler Kaputo in his face?

Also, Giovanni Brusca from Sicily: if called "Don Giovanni", that's an euphemism for "womanizer" in Italian.

Last edited by Dwalin2011; 01/28/15 02:21 PM.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: pizzaboy] #826113
01/28/15 02:58 PM
01/28/15 02:58 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss

I found The Apalachin Meeting (1957) by Albert Hitchcock a very believable movie. All the bosses from around the country, their closest lieutenants, major heroin dealers and reps from Sicily coming together to eat steak and make major decisions that would determine the mob's future during their heyday. I thought it was pretty realistic, but then again it was just a movie. tongue

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: Sonny_Black] #826114
01/28/15 03:05 PM
01/28/15 03:05 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

I found The Apalachin Meeting (1957) by Albert Hitchcock a very believable movie. All the bosses and their closest lieutenants and major heroin dealers as well as reps from Sicily coming together to eat steak and make major decisions that would determine the mob's future during their heyday. I thought it was pretty realistic, but then again it was just a movie. tongue

I know that you're joking, Sonny. But how did that movie end? Not so good from what I remember. Besides, that was more like a giant Commission meeting, hardly a making ceremony.

Re: Joe Valachi question [Re: PhillyMob] #826116
01/28/15 03:14 PM
01/28/15 03:14 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
The movie did not end well. But the point I'm making is that mass meetings were not uncommon during the mob's heyday as they didn't seem to worry that much about being exposed as they do now. Back then the mob's presence was much more out in the open, that is what defined their heyday imo.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull