GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 231 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,445
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,848
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,309
Posts1,058,386
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 50 of 80 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 79 80
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #821641
01/02/15 09:42 AM
01/02/15 09:42 AM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

I know it sounds hackneyed but Charles Carneglia truly looks like a psychopath.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #821643
01/02/15 09:45 AM
01/02/15 09:45 AM
Novi Sad,Serbia
alexandarns Offline
Underboss
alexandarns  Offline
Underboss
Novi Sad,Serbia
read 20 page online,not bad.Those East NY guys are all crazy.His brother John was acctually a stand up guy,he owned a junk yard on fountain ave,east ny.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #821660
01/02/15 10:36 AM
01/02/15 10:36 AM
B
bigboy Offline
Underboss
bigboy  Offline
B
Underboss
Just got an e mail from Ed Scarpa that hes doing a book on Frank Gangi, Tommy Pitaro's former partner. This ought to be interesting. He did a good job on his first book.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: bigboy] #821818
01/03/15 08:08 AM
01/03/15 08:08 AM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Originally Posted By: bigboy
I am recovering from surgery and am bored out of my mind, so... even with all the negative comments here, I ordered the e-book and so far it isn't too bad. I'm in the early stages of it and he talks a lot about Vinnie Basciano. Hope the rest is just as good. By the way, it's a very short book.

I have this downloaded to my Kindle but have not read it yet. I just recently finished Vinny Gourgeous: ( Anthony M. Destephano). It was good, it kept me interested.

I am now reading Mob Boss: Capeci, really good. I like hearing the stories of how the older guys came up, even their very yound memories and story of growing up.

I am seing a few other books mentioned in this thread I will try.

I want to read Murder Machine but have been waiting for it to come to kindle.
I dont think that is going to happen so I plan on picking up a copy.

DP

Be Loyal, Be Loving, Be Quiet.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: bigboy] #821832
01/03/15 09:41 AM
01/03/15 09:41 AM
Castellammare del Golfo
Malandrino Offline
Underboss
Malandrino  Offline
Underboss
Castellammare del Golfo
Just got an e mail from Ed Scarpa that hes doing a book on Frank Gangi, Tommy Pitaro's former partner. This ought to be interesting. He did a good job on his first book.

Didn't most of the stuff on Phil Carlo's book come from Gangi and that DEA agent? Obviously it can't be much worse than his book, but I'm not getting my hopes up.. Gangi's story is already well-known.

Originally Posted By: Moe_Tilden
I know it sounds hackneyed but Charles Carneglia truly looks like a psychopath.

He's your regular Charles Manson lookalike.

-I shot him a coupla' times.
-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?
-Hmm, it could've been fifteen...

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso
Re: Mafia Books [Re: bigboy] #821839
01/03/15 10:11 AM
01/03/15 10:11 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

You mean Ed Leiber? Leiber's his real name. In reality, he's about as Italian as Chef Boyardee. The guy is a no-talent fraud. That he gave Dom Cicale a soapbox to stand on speaks volumes about his character.

He's also a coward in my book because he just outed one of his old sources who was supposedly an ex-cop. As is turns out, the guy wasn't a cop a all. Just some lonely Internet nobody trying to feel important online.

But that's not the point because Scarpa/Leiber claimed on his blog that the guy called him him hysterical crying---like a little girl---when he was outed for lying about his law enforcement past. Leiber later deleted the entire entry (as he often does when he's caught lying, etc.). But the damage was already done.

You seem like a nice guy, Big Boy. I'd stay clear of that asshole if I were you. If he ever got a hold of your personal information there's no telling what he might do with it.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #821851
01/03/15 11:20 AM
01/03/15 11:20 AM
B
bigboy Offline
Underboss
bigboy  Offline
B
Underboss
Pizzaboy- Thanks for your good advice and kind words. I am glad you are back on the net as you seem to always come up with good information. Have a great new year.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #821862
01/03/15 12:16 PM
01/03/15 12:16 PM
NJ/CA
Alfanosgirl Offline
Underboss
Alfanosgirl  Offline
Underboss
NJ/CA
It's Pizza yayyyy pizza is back in town how I've missed u my friend smile
Good advice. Stay clear of that guy. Hope you are getting better BigBoy. I know you mentioned you had surgery.

Ed Lieber I cannot stand that guy. He's the reason why I changed my name and stopped posting on the other site. The guy used my video in one of his lame blogs without my permission. I had it out with him on that other gangsters site but have since deleted my comments. What a douchebag that guy is!!!!!

Hey I hear DomWoods is gonna buy us all copies of Scarpo/Lieber's book
lol lol lol ha ha I know how much he can't stand him either

(Sorry Dom but I couldn't resist)

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #821870
01/03/15 12:35 PM
01/03/15 12:35 PM
Castellammare del Golfo
Malandrino Offline
Underboss
Malandrino  Offline
Underboss
Castellammare del Golfo
I don't think even his alias last name "Scarpo" is Italian.. if so it's gotta be a very unpopular name, it's certainly one that I've never heard before. Scarpa, or Scarfo then that's a different story lol

-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Malandrino] #821875
01/03/15 12:42 PM
01/03/15 12:42 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Malandrino
I don't think even his alias last name "Scarpo" is Italian.. if so it's gotta be a very unpopular name, it's certainly one that I've never heard before. Scarpa, or Scarfo then that's a different story lol

You hit it right on the head, buddy. His pen name (even though he swears it's not), is a composite between Scarfo and Scarpa. It's as transparent as Scotch tape.

He's Jewish---and I LOVE the Jews. Of all the European immigrants that came here with our grandparents, we have the most in common with the Jews: Food, family and guilt lol.

My Mother used to say that except for Jesus and pork chops, the Jews are just like us lol.

But the fact that Leiber LIES about his heritage displays a self-hate that makes me respect him even less than I already do.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #821887
01/03/15 01:04 PM
01/03/15 01:04 PM
F
funkster Offline
Underboss
funkster  Offline
F
Underboss
Where did he post, RD?

Re: Mafia Books [Re: bigboy] #821947
01/03/15 03:55 PM
01/03/15 03:55 PM
S
SinatraClub Offline
Underboss
SinatraClub  Offline
S
Underboss

Lol eff that guy, he's a joke. Ed "Scarpa" isn't his real name, and Dom Cicale is full of as much shit as he is.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #821973
01/03/15 04:44 PM
01/03/15 04:44 PM
Moe_Tilden Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians
Moe_Tilden  Offline
ForeverBotheringIranians

Almost finished For the Sins of My Father by Albert De Meo.

I haven't really enjoyed this as much as I thought I would. It is a bit of a slog to get through. There is nothing earth shattering here. A lot of tedium. It's only 270 odd pages long too, so there is no reason why the subject matter should be inducing boredom.

Some of what he says doesn't really ring true for me either, like when he tries to portray himself as some kind of victim and portrays the feds in an unflattering light. And I'm kind of suspicious of the story about Senter & Testa running him off the road and pistol whipping him too. It's very convenient that it was his best friend - who just happened to be driving by - who was the one who found him.

And the anecdote about him intimidating Senter in a restaurant? Please. As if Senter would be f***ing scared of De Meo. His father was a feared guy but I don't think his son was cut out for this.

Some of the stories I just mentioned sounded like padding out the book and adding excitement where there is none.

If I had to rate it, I would probably give it 2.5/5

Hackneyed and poorly written. Hopefully Gangbusters & King of the Godfathers will be better.

I invoke my right under the 5th amendment of the United States constitution and decline to answer the question.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #821995
01/03/15 05:45 PM
01/03/15 05:45 PM
Castellammare del Golfo
Malandrino Offline
Underboss
Malandrino  Offline
Underboss
Castellammare del Golfo
I liked it, plenty of stuff sounded a lot more believable than some stuff in Murder Machine/Dom Montiglio's version of the events.
Not very entertaining as a book by any means, but for us who are interested in the story, it was pretty solid, imo.

I believe the story of Joey and Anthony running him off the road after he called Nino Gaggi to ask him about guns Roy kept hidden, telling him he knew who his father's killers were... stupid move and he got more than a smack in the mouth. The injuries were serious enough that they required plenty of surgeries and it was a miracle his eye survived. They pretty much left him for dead and bleeding, though I doubt they wanted him dead... I think they wouldn't care much either way.
He didn't really intimidate Anthony, he just spotted him in a table nearby while Anthony was spying at him... he went over and said hi and Anthony apparently went pale because it was a pretty awkward situation.. maybe he did exaggerate it a bit, who knows?

I disagree about the feds, they did in fact harass him continuously and made his life a living hell, even though he was barely 17 when his dad was whacked. I wouldn't say those kind of actions are beneath the feds in any way.. they had it in for him and wanted him to flip. He's lucky they didn't railroad him and put him in jail for a couple of months/year on some bullshit charge. Regardless, it did have its weak points obviously but I'd give it a 3.5/5 easily.

Moe, we seem to be reading the same books the last couple of weeks.. I'm also planning to start King of Godfathers and then maybe Mob Star about Gotti.

-What's a couple?
-Maybe fifteen?

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #821999
01/03/15 06:33 PM
01/03/15 06:33 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Reading Dicarlo, the first family of Buffalo. The most comphrehensive mob book I've ever read. Great research, great information. Stops to actually humanize the characters and the environment they live in.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: BarrettM] #822011
01/03/15 08:17 PM
01/03/15 08:17 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Originally Posted By: BarrettM
Reading Dicarlo, the first family of Buffalo. The most comphrehensive mob book I've ever read. Great research, great information. Stops to actually humanize the characters and the environment they live in.

Available on Kindle, I am going to put this on the list for next after the book I'm reading now. Thanks for the recommendation.

DP

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #822237
01/05/15 10:01 AM
01/05/15 10:01 AM
Stockholm
G
goldhawkroad Offline
Made Member
goldhawkroad  Offline
G
Made Member
Stockholm
The thing about murder machine is although its a great book it suffers from being partly narrated from montiglios perspective. Gaggi must have hated the way he turned out, a junkie. For the Sins of My father..i think its pretty interesting but nothing Near MM.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #822451
01/06/15 11:17 AM
01/06/15 11:17 AM
Stockholm
G
goldhawkroad Offline
Made Member
goldhawkroad  Offline
G
Made Member
Stockholm
While enjoying the holidays I went through "accardo the genuine godfather" by Roemer once again. Roemers sidestories and namedropping aside, its a must read If you are interested in the history of the outfit. Just take the story when mad Sam Stefano urinates in roemers coffee and roemer is thinking "well them italian roasted beans are sure tasting weird", haha.

Binders "Chicago outfit" i enjoyed, russos "The outfit" i found a bit boring. "The boys in Chicago heights was great. would love if someone wrote "the definitive work" on the different street crews, something in the style of 5 families ny raab but on Chicago.

Or is there already something out there that I have missed?

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #822879
01/08/15 02:48 PM
01/08/15 02:48 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
I just finished "the mob and the city" by alex hortis. he has been on this site a number of times, its a very good read, and he has done a lot of research. published just last spring.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #822897
01/08/15 03:38 PM
01/08/15 03:38 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
Binnie, I know you really enjoy reading. Can you name your top 10 Mob books?

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Don Cardi] #822936
01/08/15 09:12 PM
01/08/15 09:12 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
Yes Turnbull, there definately are several inconsistancies throughout the book. The Capone thing always bugged me too. But all in all I still enjoyed it. I'll have to put the other Lansky book on my list. Turnbull, have you ever read "JOEY" about Joe Gallo? I just got the book and it is next to read on my list.

Don Cardi cool

ive read "joey" its the best book out there about joey gallo, he was not a smart man, he did 9 years in the joint because of his many foulups.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Mafia Books [Re: BarrettM] #822975
01/09/15 09:56 AM
01/09/15 09:56 AM
B
bigboy Offline
Underboss
bigboy  Offline
B
Underboss
Originally Posted By: BarrettM
Barrett, based on your positive comments about this book and the fact that I used to live in Buffalo, I bought this book on Kindle. Have read the first few chapters and agree- It's a great book. I like the way it starts out with the author meeting DiCarlo at Santaserio's restaurant/bar. I've eaten there many times. Thanks

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #822980
01/09/15 11:28 AM
01/09/15 11:28 AM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
This is a great Thread, I read the post's like a wish list of books.

Thanks.

DP

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #822983
01/09/15 12:06 PM
01/09/15 12:06 PM
Montreal, QC
TheRedZone Offline
Button
TheRedZone  Offline
Button
Montreal, QC
I'm looking for a good book on the Outfit after reading two of Roemer's books, which were good in some aspects but extremely spotty in others, should I try and get Russo's 'Outfit', or the Calabrese book, or perhaps another that I'm not aware of?

Thanks guys

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Beanshooter] #823007
01/09/15 03:43 PM
01/09/15 03:43 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: Beanshooter
Binnie, I know you really enjoy reading. Can you name your top 10 Mob books?

ok, ill give it a shot, some are rather old but, they were good, can't remember all the authors though'

"the don" by William brashler about sam giancana.
"joey" by goddard, about joey gallo
"the pleasant avenue connection" cant recall author.
"the mob and the city" alex hortis.
"contract on America" by david scheim, about jfk and Marcello
"the quiet don" author can't recall, about buffalino
"the valachi papers" by peter maas.
"the last testament of lucky Luciano" by hammer and gosch.
some say this is fictionalized, but good read.
"the oufit" by gus russo. about Chicago mob.
"the last Mafioso" by ovid demaris. about frattiano.
"the green felt jungle" by demaris

ive read dozens upon dozens, still reading!

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #823008
01/09/15 03:54 PM
01/09/15 03:54 PM
Kokomo
B
Beanshooter Offline
Underboss
Beanshooter  Offline
B
Underboss
Kokomo
Great list Binnie. I've only read two on that list. I guess I have a lot more reading to do. Next on my list, "Joey". Thank you.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #823010
01/09/15 04:35 PM
01/09/15 04:35 PM
Where ever needed.
DuesPaid Offline
Banned
DuesPaid  Offline
Banned

Where ever needed.
Great list. I am going to work off this.

I just received a book and think I am going to put down the Kindle for this one.

Right now I am reading, ( Mob Boss, The Life of Little Al D'Arco) on Kindle.

I have been wanting to read this new one for awhile and it just showed up on my Desk.

http://i1364.photobucket.com/albums/r730/Edistsew/IMG_8032_zps8d8f1855.jpg

DP

Last edited by DuesPaid; 01/09/15 04:36 PM.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #823351
01/11/15 12:34 PM
01/11/15 12:34 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Was: Revis_Island
Revis_Knicks  Offline
Was: Revis_Island
R
Underboss
Any recommendations for any newer mafia books out there?

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Revis_Knicks] #823383
01/11/15 03:09 PM
01/11/15 03:09 PM
M
mickey2 Offline
Capo
mickey2  Offline
M
Capo
New York: the mob and the city - Alex hortis
Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
Any recommendations for any newer mafia books out there?

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #823992
01/14/15 03:34 PM
01/14/15 03:34 PM
Extortion Offline
Underboss
Extortion  Offline
Underboss
anyone read this...a whopping $100+ for this book http://www.amazon.com/The-Hammer-Conspiracies-Frank-Aloi/dp/0866490469

Page 50 of 80 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 79 80

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull