GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 43 guests, and 17 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,816
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: vito genovese [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #811338
11/02/14 04:08 PM
11/02/14 04:08 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
The Genovese and Luciano fued did not start till Vito returned to the United States, and Luciano was deported. When Vito returned, he no longer had the position of underboss, but was only a powerful capo in the family. The rumor is that when Genovese went to visit Lucky in Cuba, he went to ask Luciano to tell Costello to give him back the underboss position, where Charlie told Vito that Frank was the boss and that was that. Vito did not like that too much and put his hands on Lucky, who in turn slapped Genovese in front of a few witness who were in the family and other families. That was an insult to Vito who waited his time for the moment he would become boss of the family. He is also most likely the one that informed the U.S. about Luciano being in Cuba.

Vito suspected Lucky was the one that set him up and rumor is he sent a couple of people over to Italy to find out, but thought both Costello and Lansky were too weak at the time to arrange such a thing. A rumor is that Genovese wanted to set Luciano up, and reached out to some members of the Lucchese crime family to do this. Tommy Lucchese is in the center of most of these rumors as he had known both Genovese and Luciano way back, not Carlo Gambino as many believe, but Gambino might have been involved as a puppet to these setups. Keep in mind Vito and Lucky were too cautions to be setup like how they both were, and only trusted solid and proven members in their ranks. Side note, both Costello and Lucchese are rumored to have had a capo in each of their families that had FBN agents on their payroll. That too is something to think about.

great post, very informative,i knew a confrontation happened, but, didn't know about the fbn on anybody's payroll.

that is strange, considering how chaste the fbn was said by many to be. thank you giacomo.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: vito genovese [Re: Giacomo_Vacari] #811342
11/02/14 04:19 PM
11/02/14 04:19 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
The Genovese and Luciano fued did not start till Vito returned to the United States, and Luciano was deported. When Vito returned, he no longer had the position of underboss, but was only a powerful capo in the family. The rumor is that when Genovese went to visit Lucky in Cuba, he went to ask Luciano to tell Costello to give him back the underboss position, where Charlie told Vito that Frank was the boss and that was that. Vito did not like that too much and put his hands on Lucky, who in turn slapped Genovese in front of a few witness who were in the family and other families. That was an insult to Vito who waited his time for the moment he would become boss of the family. He is also most likely the one that informed the U.S. about Luciano being in Cuba.

Vito suspected Lucky was the one that set him up and rumor is he sent a couple of people over to Italy to find out, but thought both Costello and Lansky were too weak at the time to arrange such a thing. A rumor is that Genovese wanted to set Luciano up, and reached out to some members of the Lucchese crime family to do this. Tommy Lucchese is in the center of most of these rumors as he had known both Genovese and Luciano way back, not Carlo Gambino as many believe, but Gambino might have been involved as a puppet to these setups. Keep in mind Vito and Lucky were too cautions to be setup like how they both were, and only trusted solid and proven members in their ranks. Side note, both Costello and Lucchese are rumored to have had a capo in each of their families that had FBN agents on their payroll. That too is something to think about.

Can I ask where this information came from?

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #811372
11/02/14 06:23 PM
11/02/14 06:23 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
giancomo its important that if you can site your source.
please do, as there are many researchers on this site.

thank you.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #811908
11/05/14 01:35 PM
11/05/14 01:35 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
I guess those sources aren't coming.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #811911
11/05/14 01:55 PM
11/05/14 01:55 PM
new jersey
T
thebigfella Offline
Underboss
thebigfella  Offline
T
Underboss
new jersey
You guys have to understand that sometimes you read so much of stuff sometimes you forget where you read it at, it happens.

"McGurn likes you, so I make you. So you are now one of us, if you fuck up, we take it out on McGurn. He is your sponsor. Fuck up, it's his ass. You work in his crew, he is your capo."
Re: vito genovese [Re: thebigfella] #811920
11/05/14 02:28 PM
11/05/14 02:28 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
Originally Posted By: thebigfella
You guys have to understand that sometimes you read so much of stuff sometimes you forget where you read it at, it happens.

that's very true. Ive done that a lot, but now I make a mental note to myself to try and remember where I heard it or read it.
then if someone does't like the post , they can take it up with the author. and least they know I didn't make it up.

but that's just me.

Re: vito genovese [Re: thebigfella] #811925
11/05/14 02:46 PM
11/05/14 02:46 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
Originally Posted By: thebigfella

The problem is that there are good sources and bad ones. The story about Luciano assaulting Genovese sounds like something out of the book "The Last Testament of Lucky Luciano." That's an example of a bad source because the book is fraudulent. It was examined by the FBI, which considered it a hoax. It was analyzed by New York Times organized crime reporter Nicholas Gage, who came to the same conclusion. Then the entire book was taken apart piece by piece and refuted by Richard N. Warner in an article "The Last Word on The Last Testament." So if that story came from that book, then it's fiction and it didn't happen.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Faithful1] #811980
11/05/14 10:53 PM
11/05/14 10:53 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
The Last Testament is only fraudulent in the sense that someone took a Hollywood movie script screenplay and tried to pass it off as an authorized autobiography.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812126
11/06/14 04:10 PM
11/06/14 04:10 PM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
It's fraudulent in the sense that it was passed off as an authorized biography when not only was it not authorized, it's full of made-up quotes, made-up facts and misinformation.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812153
11/06/14 06:15 PM
11/06/14 06:15 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
It's fraudulent in the sense that it was passed off as an authorized biography when not only was it not authorized, it's full of made-up quotes, made-up facts and misinformation.

I read the Informer article on the Last Testament. It seems like one of the main things wrong with it is it was out of chronological order....which would be expected if you are composing a screen play from notes taken during 30 different interviews with the subject. There are some made up things, some fake quotes, but mostly it is out of chronological order and well known names are misspelled. But just like the article in the Informer said, much of the book couldn't be refuted because there was nothing to compare it to or measure it against.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812159
11/06/14 06:40 PM
11/06/14 06:40 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
alfa, the book may be tainted, however I do believe many parts of it. Luciano wanted money, and, I do think at times he was on the level. for instance the killing of abe reles. Luciano
says in the book. he went to Costello and asked him "what can be done to reles, can we get to him" and Costello said "the cops will have to do it" Luciano replied "then let the cops do it"

and that's what happened. Luciano explains it cost 50,000 and
the cops threw him out the window. now, I believe that, because reles was going to put Anastasia in the death house. so I do think that part and more are credible.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812162
11/06/14 07:07 PM
11/06/14 07:07 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Hey Binnie, it's true that it wouldn't be accurate to say there is NO truth in that book. Abe Reles went out that window. The cops were assigned to watch him. He flew too far away from the building to justify the cop's alibi which was that he fell trying to lower himself out of the building in an escape attempt using sheets or something.

There are facts in the book.

But I do believe the Informer has it right when it was claimed that the author of Last testament relied on older mafia books for material and not Lucky Luciano.

Another thing I noticed...

The Last Testament fictitiously depicts Lucky Luciano's language as very vulgar and gutter, like some corrupted English dialect you'd expect to hear from someone who lived in the Five Points slum of ancient New York City. But the real Luciano, in his news media quotes and trial testimony, spoke very astutely/articulately. I think the reason for that is because Charlie Luciano never wanted to be in the mafia in the first place and was coerced into it by Joe Masseria. In other words, he wasn't originally a mafia guy.

But Gosch (author of Testament) was said to have interviewed Luciano 30 times. That's a lot of information. Even if you "phony it up" as Luciano said, you are working from a great deal of fact to fabricate a great deal of fiction. Unfortunately because so much in that book is presently unverified/proven false, we can't take the facts presented in that book as gospel without corroboration.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812170
11/06/14 08:32 PM
11/06/14 08:32 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
alpha, you covered it all very well. I agree. thank you. again an informative post.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812176
11/06/14 11:28 PM
11/06/14 11:28 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Binnie, you're a gentleman. We have to keep this thread going at least a little bit longer.

In the Testament, Luciano says that the ship that capsized in the harbor was sabotaged by his connections and he used that as a ruse to parade himself as a war hero to get sprung from prison.

I believe that.

It is a fact that the Luciano Family (Genovese) and Mangano Family (Gambino) controlled both the Manhattan and Brooklyn waterfronts through the Longshoreman's Union. I believe this was for the facilitation of narcotics trafficking.

The media reported that the government did it's own "investigation" and found no evidence of sabotage of the warship that capsized. But since when does the US government release the results of an investigation that are self incriminating or highlight it's own incompetence?

Never.

No, that boat didn't just catch fire and go belly up.

It was set on fire.

What I think REALLY happened is that the mafia set the USS Normandie on fire, blamed foreign saboteurs, and then this was used as a cover story to allow Dewey to exonerate Luciano from prison. But Dewey was told what to do by OSS (aka modern day CIA) so that one of the world's leading drug traffickers could continue to make someone in OSS very rich....from Italy.

There exists an anecdote, however true, which claims that it was the OSS (CIA) that got Luciano clemency and sprung him from prison.

Luciano had connections to OSS (CIA) and Naval Intelligence. He channeled information back to Naval Intelligence. Therefore he was a Top Echelon informant and his capos and soldiers were used to gather information. Not a rat in the sense of incriminating his criminal colleagues. But an informant nonetheless.

Imagine a Boss and all of his caporegimes knowingly gathering information for Naval Intelligence.

On a side note, people here laughed when I said Carlo Gambino was probably a CIA informant, but everything points to that. Carlo Gambino was visiting Luciano in Italy before he became Boss. That implicates Carlo in the Luciano/OSS/Sicilian Mafia/Heroin combination. Carlo held court in Little Italy out in the open with immunity. Carlo didn't do time. Everything points to Carlo being an employee of sorts of the CIA.

One of the characteristic attributes of a CIA asset is that they can move a lot of weight (drugs) and never see the inside of a prison. The CIA will shield them from local law enforcement, FBI, and even DEA. There are many modern examples of this phenomenon.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812248
11/07/14 10:37 AM
11/07/14 10:37 AM
OC, CA
Faithful1 Offline
Underboss
Faithful1  Offline
Underboss
OC, CA
As an alternative to the conspiracy theory, there's a book that did a massive amount of research into the SS Normandie and found that there was no sabotage. http://www.amazon.com/Normandie-Life-Times-Harvey-Ardman/dp/0531097846

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812261
11/07/14 01:09 PM
11/07/14 01:09 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
of course it well could have been sabotage, to set up the government to want protection on the waterfront, the mob controlled it absolutely, ive read similar accounts of how the mob manipulated the government along these lines, I really don't doubt that passage in the book. I also believe the mob and the new York city government were deeply entwined, much more than we are led to believe, that's why im going to buy " the mob and the city" the author was on this site and impressed me.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Faithful1] #812388
11/07/14 10:08 PM
11/07/14 10:08 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Quote:

As an alternative to the conspiracy theory, there's a book that did a massive amount of research into the SS Normandie and found that there was no sabotage. http://www.amazon.com/Normandie-Life-Times-Harvey-Ardman/dp/0531097846

Faithful1,

Thank you for the referral for a book you feel is worth the time.

I am not an ignorant person. I am open minded. But before I invest the effort into reading 435 pages that "debunk conspiracy theories", I would like to know if anyone has any idea how Salvatore Lucania would have effected his exoneration from prison without the drama that took place on the New York waterfront. IE How would Dewey have been able to spring him without Luciano's purported service to America as the excuse?

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812389
11/07/14 10:15 PM
11/07/14 10:15 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline OP
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline OP
Underboss
far, northwest
alfa, that's my contention, there was no other way dewey would consent to freeing him, unless the government put it in his ear, the mob most certainly had the ways and means, to set the ship on fire. and lest we forget that the most powerful elements in the mob wanted him out. and, they held the n.y. waterfront in the palm of their hand.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Binnie_Coll] #812391
11/07/14 10:51 PM
11/07/14 10:51 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
alfa, that's my contention, there was no other way dewey would consent to freeing him, unless the government put it in his ear, the mob most certainly had the ways and means, to set the ship on fire. and lest we forget that the most powerful elements in the mob wanted him out. and, they held the n.y. waterfront in the palm of their hand.

Damn straight. Dewey had an all American image in a more innocent time. Luciano was never found innocent of compulsory prostitution. What would Dewey, who ran for President eventually, look like springing a mafia member from jail...for what? At a minimum, it would probably be the end of Dewey's career. Without the Normandie blowing up and catching fire, Luciano stays in prison and his story ends there. But we know Luciano was far too connected to be left languishing in a jail. So the Normandie's demise was awful convenient I would say.

Re: vito genovese [Re: Faithful1] #816766
12/02/14 08:07 PM
12/02/14 08:07 PM
B
barry Offline
Made Member
barry  Offline
B
Made Member
I thought Joe Beck was in the LUCCHESSE family ?

Re: vito genovese [Re: barry] #816768
12/02/14 08:11 PM
12/02/14 08:11 PM
B
bronx Offline
Underboss
bronx  Offline
B
Underboss
two joe beck

Re: vito genovese [Re: barry] #816772
12/02/14 09:45 PM
12/02/14 09:45 PM
>>>OVA THERE
njcapo35 Offline
BANNED
njcapo35  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
>>>OVA THERE
Originally Posted By: barry
I thought Joe Beck was in the LUCCHESSE family ?
The other Joe Beck was Joe Lapi from the Genovese family. He was big into garbage and hazmat disposal along with Fiumara and Co.

@Faithful1...The Joe "Beck" Dipalermo you mentioned as a Genovese captain on the first page, was that a mistake because i thought he was a Lucchese?

Last edited by njcapo35; 12/02/14 10:20 PM.

"Jersey...It's where my story begins."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull