GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (BarrettM, Irishman12, 1 invisible), 356 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,451
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,854
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,416
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: Tonytough] #799228
08/29/14 03:15 PM
08/29/14 03:15 PM
manchester uk
domwoods74 Offline
Underboss
domwoods74  Offline
Underboss
manchester uk
I know someone who john gotti was very wary of , joe billotti . Apparently after the murders of billotti and castellano he thought he was gonna have a problem with joe so sent gravano to feel him out . Apparently joe billotti was a tough son of a bitch

Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: domwoods74] #799230
08/29/14 03:41 PM
08/29/14 03:41 PM
T
TommyGambino Offline
Underboss
TommyGambino  Offline
T
Underboss
Originally Posted By: domwoods74
I know someone who john gotti was very wary of , joe billotti . Apparently after the murders of billotti and castellano he thought he was gonna have a problem with joe so sent gravano to feel him out . Apparently joe billotti was a tough son of a bitch

What happened to Joe Bilotti was he inactive after Tommy got hit? Still alive?

Last edited by TommyGambino; 08/29/14 03:42 PM.
Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: furio_from_naples] #799234
08/29/14 04:19 PM
08/29/14 04:19 PM
DiLorenzo Offline
Underboss
DiLorenzo  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: furio_from_naples
Gotti insulted and criticized each person including his his most trusted men, like Sammy Gravano.
The one he was afraid was Chin Gigante
Those were the exact words that Bruce Mouw said when Gigante died...He said they heard Gotti bad mouth everyone, all except Gigante...He said he was the one guy he feared !!

Last edited by DiLorenzo; 08/29/14 04:20 PM.
Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: Tonytough] #799240
08/29/14 05:03 PM
08/29/14 05:03 PM
MidWest
S
Sal_Bronte Offline
Made Member
Sal_Bronte  Offline
S
Made Member
MidWest
I never knew Tommy Bilotti had a brother that was in the life. thats pretty interesting actually.

Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: Tonytough] #799241
08/29/14 05:05 PM
08/29/14 05:05 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
finaly got in here.

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: Tonytough] #799243
08/29/14 05:11 PM
08/29/14 05:11 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
anybody seeing my post?

" watch what you say around this guy, he's got a big mouth" sam giancana to an outfit soldier about frank Sinatra. [ from the book "my way"
Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: Tonytough] #799244
08/29/14 05:28 PM
08/29/14 05:28 PM
Dixie,ofcourse
M
MemphisMafia Offline
Made Member
MemphisMafia  Offline
M
Made Member
Dixie,ofcourse
We see your post,Binnie Coll

Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: TommyGambino] #799280
08/29/14 11:08 PM
08/29/14 11:08 PM
manchester uk
domwoods74 Offline
Underboss
domwoods74  Offline
Underboss
manchester uk
No he was still very much active , he was placed in gravanos crew , if he is still alive and active I presume he is still in the vallario crew . I don't suppose he had much choice , according to gravano he had 9 kids and so did tommy, so wen tmy was killed joe was pretty much responsible for 18 kids

Last edited by domwoods74; 08/29/14 11:10 PM.
Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: Tonytough] #799290
08/30/14 04:34 AM
08/30/14 04:34 AM
Novi Sad,Serbia
alexandarns Offline
Underboss
alexandarns  Offline
Underboss
Novi Sad,Serbia
What is this thing called "the fist",supposed to be a genovese hit team in the late 70s and early 80s..?I read that tino the greek and michael cigars coppola were part of it.

Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: Tyler_Durden] #799433
08/30/14 09:05 PM
08/30/14 09:05 PM
dominic_calabrese Offline
Made Member
dominic_calabrese  Offline
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Tyler_Durden

"Stickler for the rules" my ass. Chin feared Gotti for one reason: because of the precedent Gotti killing Castellano set. It meant no one was bulletproof or above being killed. If Castellano got it, it might also be open season on the Chin. That's it.

Gigante obviously could not have been too much of a "stickler for the rules," considering that he tried to knock-off (and ultimately forced into retirement) Costello three decades earlier. Which is to say, the "precedent" was set by Gigante and Genovese, except that this was preceded by Anastasia bumping-off the Mangano brothers, which was preceded by Luciano eliminating Masseria and Maranzano, and so on ad infinitum

Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: JCrusher] #799434
08/30/14 09:10 PM
08/30/14 09:10 PM
J
JasonAnthony74 Offline
Made Member
JasonAnthony74  Offline
J
Made Member
Originally Posted By: JCrusher
Gotti definetly feared some mobsters during his life. I mean all know he feared Roy demeo according to Gene Gotti's phone conversation with Angelo in 1982. Im sure he knew how smart and powerful the Chin was. Hell even Paul castellano made gotti sweat when Paul was at the height of his power. Gotti was only able to kill Paul when Paul was at his weakest point

Supposedly Gotti feared Paul Castellano as well. Bruce Mouw commented on how Gotti would become all concerned and nervous whenever Paul summoned Gotti for no apparent reason: 'Gotti would be shaking like a leaf' in Mouw's words. Of course, among his inner circle, Gotti would badmouth 'the Pope' and ridicule him and talk trash about him, but that all changed when he had to go visit Paul at the White House. And I'm sure Gotti's fear of Paul played a large role in Gotti's desire to knock him off.

Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: dominic_calabrese] #799435
08/30/14 09:20 PM
08/30/14 09:20 PM
dominic_calabrese Offline
Made Member
dominic_calabrese  Offline
Made Member
Indeed, I would say that in the mob, people who belong to the same generation of actors often become allies even across different families. And their most dangerous enemies are typically from the next generation within their own family. Castellano and Gigante were of the same generation, the status quo successors of Gambino and Genovese. Costello's closet ally was to be found not among the other members of the Luciano family (post-1945), but in the person of Albert Anastasia (Mangano family). Gotti was the upstart vis-a-vis Gigante much as Genovese was the upstart vis-a-vis Costello . . . . The real question is how did Gambino and the heirs of Genovese succeed in so thoroughly "legitimizing" their rule, such that Gotti's rub-out of Castellano appeared to be a heinous departure from the "rules"?

Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: Tonytough] #799565
08/31/14 12:38 PM
08/31/14 12:38 PM
far, northwest
Binnie_Coll Offline
Underboss
Binnie_Coll  Offline
Underboss
far, northwest
concerning castellano,i have a hard time believing he didn't whack gotti and his brother gene, he knew that their was heroin dealing in his family, he had always banned it. when paul wanted to hear the tapes of the conversations between quack quack and others, gotti had to whack him. it was him or paul. nonetheless castellano should have been paying more attention on what was going on in his family. he really just got beat to the punch!

Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: Tonytough] #799879
09/01/14 08:16 PM
09/01/14 08:16 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
It's ironic that John Gotti was celebrated for being this fearless rugged modern day Al Capone when in reality he was often shaking in his boots and not ashamed of it.

He expressed fears about the Demeo crew. He expressed fears about always being called by Paul Castellano to meet him at his mansion. He was afraid of many things and unabashedly so. He also was afraid to fly airplanes. No shame in his game. Someone like him, I think he most likely feared The Chin after Decicco got blown up. Put it like this. Gotti probably didn't know who exactly was responsible, and was then probably afraid of everyone. I remember reading somewhere that Nino Gaggi "summoned" Gotti to a meeting and Gotti got upset about it. Gotti had to know that Nino was acting like a Boss and had to have allies in the Gambino family and on the commission to do so. Decicco got blown up in 86. Gaggi summoned Gotti to a meeting probably in 87 or 88. So Gotti knew something was up and things were afoot.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: Tonytough] #799882
09/01/14 08:29 PM
09/01/14 08:29 PM
M
MrBigglesworth Offline
Associate
MrBigglesworth  Offline
M
Associate
Gaggi went to jail in March 86 and died their 2 years later. He was on trial when Gotti took over so Nino had bigger concerns.

Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: Tonytough] #799885
09/01/14 08:56 PM
09/01/14 08:56 PM
>>>OVA THERE
njcapo35 Offline
BANNED
njcapo35  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
>>>OVA THERE
I'm sure a lot of those guys were scared of one another....That just goes with the territory when your world is surrounded by a bunch of killers and criminals....Anybody would be scared if you were living that life where any second could be your Last.

"Jersey...It's where my story begins."
Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: MrBigglesworth] #799887
09/01/14 09:08 PM
09/01/14 09:08 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
Gaggi went to jail in March 86 and died their 2 years later. He was on trial when Gotti took over so Nino had bigger concerns.

Then he must have summoned Gotti in 86 around the time of the Decicco hit. What is my source? The book, Murder Machine.

The book says that right before Nino was jailed in 86, he summoned Gotti to a meeting. The way it was done was very undeferential and condescending. Nino sent an emissary to "bring" Gotti to Nino about an unspecified issue concerning a restaurant. So there you have a Capo sending someone to "bring" a boss to a meeting that the boss doesn't even know the back story to. It was probably going to be a hit, since Gotti would have possibly attended the meeting alone and would not know who would be waiting for him. But it was probably more a signal than anything else. It was a signal to Gotti and the rest of the Gambinos that Gotti did not have Commission backing and that Nino did. The only question for Gotti was who exactly on the commission was backing Nino.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."
Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: dominic_calabrese] #799893
09/01/14 09:39 PM
09/01/14 09:39 PM
SonnyBlackstein Offline
Underboss
SonnyBlackstein  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: dominic_calabrese
Indeed, I would say that in the mob, people who belong to the same generation of actors often become allies even across different families. And their most dangerous enemies are typically from the next generation within their own family. Castellano and Gigante were of the same generation, the status quo successors of Gambino and Genovese. Costello's closet ally was to be found not among the other members of the Luciano family (post-1945), but in the person of Albert Anastasia (Mangano family). Gotti was the upstart vis-a-vis Gigante much as Genovese was the upstart vis-a-vis Costello . . . . The real question is how did Gambino and the heirs of Genovese succeed in so thoroughly "legitimizing" their rule, such that Gotti's rub-out of Castellano appeared to be a heinous departure from the "rules"?

Great post.

Welcome to the board. Very apt perspective regards the history of bosses being overthrown to the new 'norm' of that becoming the ultimate faux-par.

I'd be interested in thoughts on this.

Personally I can only attribute it to time. As Hesh Rabkin (Sopranos) said of Junior 'he can do what he wants, he's the boss, we all dance to his tune. That's the way it's always been.'

As one's primary motivation is self preservation, the transition from a continuous tumultuous family leadership to a stable one is understandable, when the stability of the times is taken into account.

Added to which Gambino, Luchesse and Bonanno were all at the TOP of their game. Gangsters amongst gangsters.

Throw in this was the mob's hey day in power, and hence money, rocking the boat, or a call for change, in that environment, and against those opponents, you see how the game played out the way it did.

So the players, the times, the power/money, the motivation and a little bit of luck were the cornerstones of the 'change' in policy.

But who the fuck knows really.

MORGAN: Why didn't you fight him at the park if you wanted to? I'm not goin' now, I'm eatin' my snack.
CHUCKIE: Morgan, Let's go.
MORGAN: I'm serious Chuckie, I ain't goin'.
WILL: So don't go.
Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: Tonytough] #799942
09/02/14 09:54 AM
09/02/14 09:54 AM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

right before big paul got killed according to Sammy the bull he was gonna have nino killed for all the heat he was bringing on the family. in the book gotti tapes Sammy explains to john he told nino after the trials paul was ginna clip him and told nino they did him a favor gotti didn't invite him to the meeting capo meeting were they elected gotti new boss think nino was going to trial during the time. iread that nino tried to summon gotti at this time but gotti was like wtf im the boss, never read they had problems with each other nino shot a cop I think gotti respected that and demeo helped gotti with hits I think so he had to ask nino permission.

Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: dominic_calabrese] #799948
09/02/14 10:32 AM
09/02/14 10:32 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: EVL
I think the Chin feared Gotti. Why didn't he attack Gotti head on? Why did they use a bomb to blame the Sicilians? The Chin partnered with the Lucheses only... why?

Cause Gotti controlled Vic Orena and skillfully fueled the Colombo war. And Gotti had the Bonannos, too, via his pal, the Fat Rat.

Gotti controlled three families and was probably stronger and definitely willing to fight. In fact, he probably wanted a war, knowing how much of a gambler tough guy he was.

I think Chin feared others copying what Gotti did as it was a threat to all established bosses like himself. But him not going at Gotti "head on" was just the smarter move. Mob families don't declare war like countries do. And Gotti obviously wasn't itching for a war either, considering he didn't retaliate after he had verification about Genovese plots against him.

Originally Posted By: dominic_calabrese
Gigante obviously could not have been too much of a "stickler for the rules," considering that he tried to knock-off (and ultimately forced into retirement) Costello three decades earlier. Which is to say, the "precedent" was set by Gigante and Genovese, except that this was preceded by Anastasia bumping-off the Mangano brothers, which was preceded by Luciano eliminating Masseria and Maranzano, and so on ad infinitum

It seems many bosses (and mafiosi in general) are in favor of the rules as long as it benefits them. Once that changes, the rules go out the window pretty fast.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: pmac] #800238
09/03/14 06:55 PM
09/03/14 06:55 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
Quote:
right before big paul got killed according to Sammy the bull he was gonna have nino killed for all the heat he was bringing on the family. in the book gotti tapes Sammy explains to john he told nino after the trials paul was ginna clip him and told nino they did him a favor gotti didn't invite him to the meeting capo meeting were they elected gotti new boss think nino was going to trial during the time. iread that nino tried to summon gotti at this time but gotti was like wtf im the boss, never read they had problems with each other nino shot a cop I think gotti respected that and demeo helped gotti with hits I think so he had to ask nino permission.

What I am suspecting here, as I am sure Nino did, is that Sammy was trying to psyop him into believing that his number one ally (Big Paul) was in fact his enemy. Nino was blood relation to Big Paul, a Boss who was losing control and badly needed allies. I find it hard to believe Paul would whack Nino, though with these people....anything's possible.

Now if Nino went so far as to summon Gotti, I very much doubt he was kicking up. It's not a good look to put on a tough show right after you kicked up 50% of your profits as tribute. So good relations is something I doubt Nino and Gotti had. More likely is that Nino was a lone wolf Capo with strong Sicilian backing and connections that the Neopolitan John Gotti was wary about disturbing. Maybe we never heard about a beef because Gotti himself was the one who kept it quiet instead of rocking the boat and complaining about back payments of missing tribute? Instead of calling Nino out and having his impotence against the Sicilian faction exposed, he ignored it and kept pretending to be omnipotent.

Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: Alfa Romeo] #800365
09/04/14 12:53 PM
09/04/14 12:53 PM
B
bronx Offline
Underboss
bronx  Offline
B
Underboss
interesting, nino was blood related to paul? how, be a great factoid..

Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: Tonytough] #800366
09/04/14 01:00 PM
09/04/14 01:00 PM
B
bronx Offline
Underboss
bronx  Offline
B
Underboss
gotti had to know who was killing his guys.. decicco, lino boriello, caso flips tells the whole story who is killing his guys still does nothing..they were afraid to do anything..my opinion

Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: bronx] #800370
09/04/14 01:10 PM
09/04/14 01:10 PM
manchester uk
domwoods74 Offline
Underboss
domwoods74  Offline
Underboss
manchester uk
Gotti had his suspicions but couldn't prove it , wen casso flipped gotti had already been in jail doing life without parole for a year

Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: bronx] #800433
09/04/14 04:14 PM
09/04/14 04:14 PM
Alfa Romeo Offline
Underboss
Alfa Romeo  Offline
Underboss
I know Nino was related to the old boss Scalise. I think he had no relation to Castellano actually.

Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: Alfa Romeo] #800461
09/04/14 05:36 PM
09/04/14 05:36 PM
B
bronx Offline
Underboss
bronx  Offline
B
Underboss
my take also alfa

Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: domwoods74] #800463
09/04/14 05:41 PM
09/04/14 05:41 PM
B
bronx Offline
Underboss
bronx  Offline
B
Underboss
he still was the boss, they killed his closest guys..thats war..they were going after jr, still nothing..the tapes from manna when he was in the street..he knew who was behind this..people say how tough and smart he was.. he made all the wrong moves, and then never honored them for giving their lives up..he was not willing to go against chin.. my opinion

Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: bronx] #830636
02/27/15 12:51 AM
02/27/15 12:51 AM
Belette Offline
Made Member
Belette  Offline
Made Member
I read an old article by Capeci from -89 and it reminded me of this thread. It says that months after the feds warned Gotti, they also went and warned Chin, his two brothers (yes the priest too) and Baldy Dom that the Gambinos were going to assassinate them.

http://articles.philly.com/1989-02-27/news/26153845_1_john-gotti-louis-gigante-genovese-crime

Did this turn out to be untrue? It's interesting if Gotti actually had a plan to kill Chin, but killing the legitimate brother sounds odd...

Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: TommyGambino] #830688
02/27/15 08:23 AM
02/27/15 08:23 AM
Hudson County NJ
D
DB Offline
Underboss
DB  Offline
D
Underboss
Hudson County NJ
TG I agree with what you said about each exactly

Neither were scared but both knew the other could have killed them with the power their families had at the time

I still love how much control WS had on fish market ,that racket doesn't get a lot of attention but huge $ was being made , WS had total and I man total control of that market , more so than any LE . Wish their was more on that racket , always wonder if stuff is still going on as those guys owned a lot of those wholesale fish co.s, I know probably today a background check is ridiculous but I wouldnt be shocked if some envelopes still make it out , just a lot more legitimate today , but who knows , I know I dont

Re: Was John Gotti afraid of the Chin [Re: Tonytough] #830693
02/27/15 08:28 AM
02/27/15 08:28 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
Gotti was afraid of a good amount of gangsters. Obviously demeo he wouldnt go near even when paul asked him to take him out. Casso was another guy that gotti made peace with mostly because casso was taking about gambino members who tried to kill him. Even big paul at the height of his power. One incident was paul ordered him to a sitdown and gotti nervously said what did i do now

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull