GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 268 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,854
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Who was the dumbest Character(s) [Re: goombah] #792906
07/30/14 11:49 AM
07/30/14 11:49 AM
Merica
NickyWhip Offline
Capo
NickyWhip  Offline
Capo
Merica
I laugh every time I see that episode. The way he and Chrissy laugh at each other and then Tony throws him the fuck out.

Originally Posted By: goombah
Originally Posted By: Its_da_Jackeeettttttt
Let's not forget Brendan calling the boss of the family "Chemo-sabe."

He deserved the beating Tony gave him for that comment.

Boss of tha toilet!
Re: Who was the dumbest Character(s) [Re: Its_da_Jackeeettttttt] #792917
07/30/14 12:52 PM
07/30/14 12:52 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Originally Posted By: mldetroit
Mulgreen special?

It's the Walgreens store-brand version of a Moe Greene Special.

Kind of like when Moltasanti says "Lucas Brazzy sleeps with the fishes."

I think the "Godfather" outtakes went something like this:

Moe Greene: Do you know who I am?
Michael Corleone: Mulgreen?
Moe Greene: You goddamn Ginny's really make me laugh. I was going to Walgreens when you were going out with cheerleaders.

Re: Who was the dumbest Character(s) [Re: maddog] #792927
07/30/14 01:17 PM
07/30/14 01:17 PM
Scottsdale
Its_da_Jackeeettttttt Offline
Underboss
Its_da_Jackeeettttttt  Offline
Underboss
Scottsdale
You'd think for a movie expert, Christopher could get the names straight.

Then again, the only time Christopher set foot on the grounds of academia was to rob a benefit concert.

Re: Who was the dumbest Character(s) [Re: Its_da_Jackeeettttttt] #792943
07/30/14 01:48 PM
07/30/14 01:48 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
You'd think for a movie expert, Christopher could get the names straight.

Then again, the only time Christopher set foot on the grounds of academia was to rob a benefit concert.

But if he had to get grammar tips from Aidrianna, we know he wasn't the brightest bulb.

The scene where he said "I use positive visualization" made me laugh when Ade said "yeah, but you're usually pretty negative and yelling."

Re: Who was the dumbest Character(s) [Re: maddog] #792983
07/30/14 03:55 PM
07/30/14 03:55 PM
Scottsdale
Underboss
Underboss
Scottsdale
Come to think of it, Christopher tried the positive visual excuse just before Tony tossed Brendan across Satriale's. Tony was, um, rather non-plussed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R2vceT7oYg

Re: Who was the dumbest Character(s) [Re: goombah] #793023
07/30/14 05:24 PM
07/30/14 05:24 PM
Tampa, FL
waynethegame Offline
Capo
waynethegame  Offline
Capo
Tampa, FL
Originally Posted By: goombah
Originally Posted By: mldetroit
Mulgreen special?

It's the Walgreens store-brand version of a Moe Greene Special.

Kind of like when Moltasanti says "Lucas Brazzy sleeps with the fishes."

I think the "Godfather" outtakes went something like this:

Moe Greene: Do you know who I am?
Michael Corleone: Mulgreen?
Moe Greene: You goddamn Ginny's really make me laugh. I was going to Walgreens when you were going out with cheerleaders.

Chris says "Louis Brazzy", and Pussy corrects him.

Wayne

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
Don Lucchesi
Re: Who was the dumbest Character(s) [Re: maddog] #793218
07/31/14 11:48 AM
07/31/14 11:48 AM
S
slumpy Offline
Capo
slumpy  Offline
S
Capo
I don't think AJ was dumb, dumbness implies some cognitive disability. AJ wasn't stupid, he was just ignorant. Like most kids the age he was portraying. If anything he just came off as totally ambivalent about everything and as he grew up the ambivalence lent itself to a life of lacking an identity and academic skills, which hampered his work prospects as an adult; that identity crisis was further aggravated by his perceptions of being incapable of living up to his father's legacy - Being neither physically imposing nor mentally imposing - I don't think this was ever outright said, but I think it was strongly implied; especially in the season where they wanted to send AJ to that military reform school. if anything AJ was the epitome of mediocrity in a family of people that excelled at their respective paths. AJ excelled at... Not excelling, but that was the role he carved out for himself in his family because his parents did not know how to raise a child that was not independent early on in life. Despite her college education Carmella was not what I would call a forward thinking mother who tried to engage her children on any intellectual level, only at their archetypal roles.

the problem is Tony loves his children, he was a caring father but he wasn't a good father, he couldn't teach or direct his children, what wisdom did he really have to impart? His life was one of taking the road of least resistance (for the Soprano family). Tony always looked for his father in himself and in turn, looked for himself in AJ. Ironically, Tony always seemed to think of himself as being inadequate next to Johnny Boy, and with Tony's hamfisted fathering, AJ seemed to have similar feelings of inadequacy when he measures himself up against Tony.

Paulie and Chrissy are both kind of idiots. Chrissy you can more easily explain away given what we know of his childhood and how he was raised steeped in mafia ethos and the mythology of Dickie Moltisanti. being a junky most of his life probably didn't help much either. Paulie may actually just be mildly retarded. remember when Tony suggested he get tested for autism? lol

Last edited by slumpy; 07/31/14 11:51 AM.
Re: Who was the dumbest Character(s) [Re: maddog] #793328
07/31/14 05:45 PM
07/31/14 05:45 PM
Scottsdale
Underboss
Underboss
Scottsdale
Great synopsis. I don't necessarily think AJ was dumb, either. True he's spoiled and coddled, and I don't think Tony ever wanted the organized crime for AJ (much like how he and Jackie, Sr. didn't want it for Jackie, Jr.). AJ's more a result of his circumstances -- a mama's boy in an exceptionally comfortable home life.

When he applied himself, AJ did show an entrepreneurial and leadership acumen -- being the ringleader on several scams at Verbum Dei, to organizing house parties in high school, to even making some side cash selling displays at Blockbuster. However, AJ tended to be lazy because he never had to work for anything, and there really weren't any consequences for poor performance, because Tony and Carmela were atrocious in that area.

That lack of a work ethic seemed to be an issue for the whole family:

- Carmela tried to put on airs of education, but she dropped out of Montclair State for the easy street mob housewife life. Toward the end of Season 4, she was completely out of her league on discussing "Billy Budd" with Meadow's peers. In Season 5, she was clueless to "Madame Bovary" and Flaubert. Aside from being a pious Catholic and the spec house, she would start and drop a number of hobbies, be it stock trading or real estate.
- Meadow probably was more academically inclined, but after Jackie, Jr.'s death, milked it for what it was worth, from sleeping and sunbathing all day, ditching her summer internship, bailing on part time job(s), and refusing to go interview for others.
- Tony dropped out of Seton Hall after a semester and a half for the lure of the criminal life. For all the times he mentioned selling patio furniture on Route 22, one wonders how long he'd truly last in that type of job (at least without moving the inventory out the side door, or sleeping with the salesgirls in the stockroom).

Re: Who was the dumbest Character(s) [Re: maddog] #793866
08/03/14 05:07 PM
08/03/14 05:07 PM
N
NinoBrown Offline
Wiseguy
NinoBrown  Offline
N
Wiseguy
I see it as there are those who lack street smarts and in the world of the Sopranos and a lack of street smarts can get you hurt or worse. Matt, Sean, Jackie Jr. and his glorified crew, AJ, and even Chrissy at times expected to have things handed to them with minimal effort.

Matt, Sean, and Jackie Jr. had the aptitude to make it to college and even graduate (implied by Matt and Sean having Stock Broker's Licenses). However, they didn't have the street smarts or honestly patience to work their way up in the criminal world . They seemed to earn decently under Ralphie/Chrissy, but their impatience and ambition was their ultimate undoing, not necessarily a cognitive shortcoming.

This is reiterated in season 6 with AJ wanting to be the owner of a night club without any practical experience, but once he got sage advice from Tony, then he mellowed out and appreciated starting out small and working his way up. (Though I wish I could work my way up driving a measly BMW as an intern)

Some individuals are simply intelligent and resourceful, school or no school, Ralphie didn't even finish grade school, but he sure as hell was better than 9/10 of most Accountants. If it weren't for the thrill of crime, he could have been a legit business owner smile

Those who lacked significantly in both departments of street smarts and basic common sense:

- Some of Tony's mistresses, as according to his own words, "They don't have many thoughts" lol. You could say Irina, but I chalk that up to her being a "poor confused kid from an underdeveloped country"

- Georgie, just didn't know when to stop when talking to Tony or any of the guys. The fact that he was in the same cognitive league as Mama Soprano when it came to the telephone speaks volumes.

- Noah, Colombia or not, books don't save you from the potential wrath of an angry Dad who runs all crime in North Jersey, he was lucky he still had his kneecaps. Didn't he have any common sense not to get involved with a Crime Princess?

Ultimately, I'd have to say Jackie Jr., he consistently antagonized Tony by getting involved in the "business", hurt Meadow (via cheating), failed out of Rutgers, and seriously underestimated the ramifications of taking down a card game of a Made Guy, then attempting to clip two of them to boot. It is almost a suicide by cop stunt Jackie pulled in the street world and civilian world to get the prize of being "Made". Also....he almost drowned in the Penguin Exhibition....

Re: Who was the dumbest Character(s) [Re: maddog] #798161
08/25/14 02:04 PM
08/25/14 02:04 PM
D
Dbm7 Offline
Button
Dbm7  Offline
D
Button
That fucking Noah asshole. No, you're lucky you didn't punch his lights out.

Re: Who was the dumbest Character(s) [Re: maddog] #798163
08/25/14 02:14 PM
08/25/14 02:14 PM
Scottsdale
Underboss
Underboss
Scottsdale
That would have been great, though. Noah opens his dorm room door, and it's Furio standing there like when Tony sent him to collect the Frenchman's money.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull