GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Blackmobs, DB), 70 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,128
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,386
Posts1,059,752
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: pizzaboy] #785468
06/23/14 12:58 PM
06/23/14 12:58 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
And re the Widow Gehrig: "The Pride of the Yankees" is a wonderful film, and probably the greatest baseball movie ever. But they took a lot of liberties. For instance, in the film Lou's mother and wife came to care for each other. In reality they hated each other's guts. They were tied up in lawsuits with one another until the day Gehrig's mother died.

One of the biggest was that Lou Gehrig was such a prince and so much a goody-two-shoes. In reality he and Babe Ruth had been estranged due to a fight over a woman. They had started to become somewhat friendly again at the end.

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: SC] #785470
06/23/14 01:09 PM
06/23/14 01:09 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: SC
And re the Widow Gehrig: "The Pride of the Yankees" is a wonderful film, and probably the greatest baseball movie ever. But they took a lot of liberties. For instance, in the film Lou's mother and wife came to care for each other. In reality they hated each other's guts. They were tied up in lawsuits with one another until the day Gehrig's mother died.

One of the biggest was that Lou Gehrig was such a prince and so much a goody-two-shoes. In reality he and Babe Ruth had been estranged due to a fight over a woman. They had started to become somewhat friendly again at the end.

If that's true I'll eat my hat.

See what I did there? Remember the scene on the train? grin

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: klydon1] #785471
06/23/14 01:14 PM
06/23/14 01:14 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: klydon1
I'm sure you'll fondly remember Wrigley Field, especially since your son shared the experience with you. Wrigley is a place where you not only watch a ball game, but you can also feel a real sense of history.

I have a Wrigley story -

Back in September, 2004, a few us GBB members met up in Chicago for a get-together. We decided to take in a Cubs game and went to Wrigley. Geoff, LaDolceVita and Don Sicilia had gotten seats in the outfield stands while I decided late to attend and bought seats for me and my friend on the first base line (between first and home). My friend was a little afraid of the possibility of getting hit by a foul ball but I told her to relax and enjoy the game. Well, in the eighth inning a foul ball was popped our way and coming right at us. I stood up, along with all those around me, and just watched the ball come right into my hands (as everyone else was reaching for it). I caught it, and started to sit down to show the ball to my friend when I saw she was covered by two guys who had been sitting behind us. I pulled one of the guys off her and sat down and showed her the ball. That's when she started screaming, looking at my hand. Blood was pouring out, getting all over my pants, and she started freaking out. Apparently, the idiot behind me had tried to catch the ball in his plastic beer cup and that had split, cutting my hand.

As luck would have it, the only first aid station in the ballpark was only a short distance away and the ushers rushed me over there. They were able to stop the bleeding but I had to go to the hospital (by cab) to get stitches.

We called Geoff to let him know what was happening (and to let him know we wouldn't be meeting up with him after the game) and his only concern was if I kept the ball. lol

Fun times and a good memory.

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: pizzaboy] #785472
06/23/14 01:17 PM
06/23/14 01:17 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
If that's true I'll eat my hat.

See what I did there? Remember the scene on the train? grin

I'll start calling you 'Walter Brennan'. (he used that line when he thought Gehrig was guilty of having an affair with a woman, when Lou was actually umpiring a baseball game for kids). The eat the hat scene may have been true, though.

Last edited by SC; 06/23/14 01:20 PM.

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: SC] #785488
06/23/14 04:35 PM
06/23/14 04:35 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania

Very true. Look at old films of Ruth crossing the plate after a homerun. Gehrig is usually coming to the plate to bat, but the two seldom even looked at each other, let alone exchange a handshake. Gehrig also hated Ruth's lifestyle.

And a generation before that the celebrated Cub double play combination of Tinker and Evers hated each other.

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: klydon1] #785489
06/23/14 04:44 PM
06/23/14 04:44 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
And a generation before that the celebrated Cub double play combination of Tinker and Evers hated each other.

You're a Pa. guy, Klyd. Did Bonds and Bonilla get along?

I'm having a senior moment and I can't remember if they had a similar falling out confused .

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: SC] #785491
06/23/14 04:46 PM
06/23/14 04:46 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
I'm sure you'll fondly remember Wrigley Field, especially since your son shared the experience with you. Wrigley is a place where you not only watch a ball game, but you can also feel a real sense of history.

I have a Wrigley story -

Back in September, 2004, a few us GBB members met up in Chicago for a get-together. We decided to take in a Cubs game and went to Wrigley. Geoff, LaDolceVita and Don Sicilia had gotten seats in the outfield stands while I decided late to attend and bought seats for me and my friend on the first base line (between first and home). My friend was a little afraid of the possibility of getting hit by a foul ball but I told her to relax and enjoy the game. Well, in the eighth inning a foul ball was popped our way and coming right at us. I stood up, along with all those around me, and just watched the ball come right into my hands (as everyone else was reaching for it). I caught it, and started to sit down to show the ball to my friend when I saw she was covered by two guys who had been sitting behind us. I pulled one of the guys off her and sat down and showed her the ball. That's when she started screaming, looking at my hand. Blood was pouring out, getting all over my pants, and she started freaking out. Apparently, the idiot behind me had tried to catch the ball in his plastic beer cup and that had split, cutting my hand.

As luck would have it, the only first aid station in the ballpark was only a short distance away and the ushers rushed me over there. They were able to stop the bleeding but I had to go to the hospital (by cab) to get stitches.

We called Geoff to let him know what was happening (and to let him know we wouldn't be meeting up with him after the game) and his only concern was if I kept the ball. lol

Fun times and a good memory.

That was one of the greatest stories I've read in the sports forum.

I never got a foul ball in a major league game, but I did see a woman catch two fouls...on consecutive pitches.

The closest I came was on the last Sunday of August, 2001, I think, I was at old Vet Stadium watching the Phillies and Giants. We were sitting in the second row of the second level just between home and first. I was carrying two trays of food and drinks from the concourse and was just entering the seating sections to get back to my seat when a Pat Burrell foul was coming right to me. As this was at the top of the ramp to enter the sections, I was the only one who had a play, and it would have been a can of corn if my hands weren't full. All I could do was move my head and let the ball bounce off the concrete façade just above me.

My boys were 8 and 6 at the time, and they had their gloves and caps and were just staring at me, open-mouthed in disappointment. They chowed down the pretzels and nachos and gulped the soda, but they'd rather that I threw the trays down and caught the damn ball.

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: klydon1] #786852
07/02/14 09:30 AM
07/02/14 09:30 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I'm watching the Yankees right now and Michael Kay just made an EXCELLENT point. They're celebrating the 75th anniversary of Lou Gehrig's speech today. The Iron Man. 2130 straight games. Tough as nails and all that jazz.

And Jacoby Ellsbury, all of thirty years old, needed the day off because he's tired. Much irony? rolleyes

Now I realize that because of prenatal drugs and advances in medicine and training techniques that today's athletes are bigger, stronger and faster in almost every way. But don't tell me that they're made of the same stuff as the old timers. Because they're not.

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: pizzaboy] #786947
07/03/14 07:07 AM
07/03/14 07:07 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania

And Jacoby Ellsbury, all of thirty years old, needed the day off because he's tired. Much irony? rolleyes

Now I realize that because of prenatal drugs and advances in medicine and training techniques that today's athletes are bigger, stronger and faster in almost every way. But don't tell me that they're made of the same stuff as the old timers. Because they're not.

There are many recent coddling conventions in baseball in the past 20 years that have become commonplace, but were unheard of in the 70s and earlier.

And one of them that cracks me up is resting players because of a day game after a night game. I can't imagine Pete Rose or even catchers like Carlton Fisk and Johnny Bench being told that they can't play because they just played 15 or 16 hours ago.

Pitch counts are another. Once a pitcher approaches 100 pitches in a game there seems to be grave concern among coaches and broadcasters that he's going to self-destruct. In the '75 world series Luis Tiant was pitching to Joe Morgan with a 3-2 lead in the ninth with the tying and winning runs on base, having thrown 140 pitches. Despite the righty-to-lefty match up there was no thought of pulling Tiant, who retired Morgan.

And similarly, if a closer today, God forbid, has to get more than three outs for a save, it's almost as though he parted the Red Sea. It used to be that if a reliever entered the game in the 7th with a lead, he was expected to finish it.

Of course, there are some external factors that have modified coaching perspectives in the lasrt generation or so of baseball, but player expectations have been lowered quite a bit.

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: klydon1] #786955
07/03/14 07:36 AM
07/03/14 07:36 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
LMAO at resting players the day game after a night game. Go put in a double shift on a construction site with the night crew, then try to turn down the day shift the next day wink.

Not to mention that up until twenty years ago it wasn't unheard of to play doubleheaders on a Sunday afternoon after a Saturday night game. But don't get me started about the virtual elimination of doubleheaders mad.

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: pizzaboy] #787581
07/06/14 04:50 PM
07/06/14 04:50 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Saw this from a Cleveland sports talk show host. Best tweet of 2014

“@KenCarman: Indians need to give Jeter a jar of Midges in a gift basket for his farewell tour visit.”

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: goombah] #787586
07/06/14 05:16 PM
07/06/14 05:16 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
That's funny, Goom. I'll tell you, though. I'm really getting tired of it now. And I've always really liked Jeter. But they're acting like Jesus, The Buddha and Moses are all retiring from Heaven.

And I personally think it would have been nice if he retired last year with Mariano. Just imagine Cooperstown in July of 2019 if he did.

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: pizzaboy] #787588
07/06/14 05:24 PM
07/06/14 05:24 PM
Miami, Fla via Englewood Cliff...
Longshoreman Offline
Button
Longshoreman  Offline
Button
Miami, Fla via Englewood Cliff...
That's funny, Goom. I'll tell you, though. I'm really getting tired of it now. And I've always really liked Jeter. But they're acting like Jesus, The Buddha and Moses are all retiring from Heaven.

And I personally think it would have been nice if he retired last year with Mariano. Just imagine Cooperstown in July of 2019 if he did.

Had Jeter done that with Mo he would have had to share the spotlight with him. Not his style and I'm a big fan of his! Just enjoys the lights on him. My opinion only

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: Longshoreman] #787591
07/06/14 05:33 PM
07/06/14 05:33 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Longshoreman

Had Jeter done that with Mo he would have had to share the spotlight with him. Not his style and I'm a big fan of his! Just enjoys the lights on him. My opinion only

Oh, absolutely. That was more than likely the motivating factor.

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: pizzaboy] #787668
07/07/14 06:58 AM
07/07/14 06:58 AM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline OP
MaryCas  Offline OP

South of the Pinelands
LMAO at resting players the day game after a night game. Go put in a double shift on a construction site with the night crew, then try to turn down the day shift the next day wink.

Are those the same guys who walked 5 miles to and from school, uphill both ways....in a snow storm? Or were they the guys who slept on the job site while their buddies covered for them, which they all took turns doing. lol wink

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: MaryCas] #787670
07/07/14 07:09 AM
07/07/14 07:09 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: MaryCas

Are those the same guys who walked 5 miles to and from school, uphill both ways....in a snow storm? Or were they the guys who slept on the job site while their buddies covered for them, which they all took turns doing. lol wink

Hey, they still show up! lol

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: MaryCas] #787679
07/07/14 08:19 AM
07/07/14 08:19 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Hey Kly, the Pirates did a job on the Phillies.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: pizzaboy] #787693
07/07/14 11:37 AM
07/07/14 11:37 AM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss

Not to mention that up until twenty years ago it wasn't unheard of to play doubleheaders on a Sunday afternoon after a Saturday night game. But don't get me started about the virtual elimination of doubleheaders mad.

my father had to work 7-14's one summer so Yale could get there dorms done...almost killed him...

Mary I get what your saying and i did a lot of sleeping the summers i worked there, mainly because i was Little Bear's kid lol but ive seen these guys work crazy shifts in terrible conditions. i remember working under the street in the tunnels and it was over 150 degrees. 15 mins in 5 mins out. god im glad my uncle got me an office job. grin grin

AC in the summer and heat in the winter...better than being on a ladder in january or a boiler room in july.

sooo lucky

Last edited by cheech; 07/07/14 11:38 AM.

When Interpol?
Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: olivant] #787829
07/08/14 06:30 AM
07/08/14 06:30 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: olivant
Hey Kly, the Pirates did a job on the Phillies.

Yes, they did. Pirates have been very hot even though they lost a tough game to the Cards last night. The Pirate/Cardinal matchup has provided baseball's best games over the past two years.

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: MaryCas] #787850
07/08/14 08:34 AM
07/08/14 08:34 AM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
heres the deal with baseball for me right now.

i was the kid who would watch the whole game. guess if it was a curve or fastball...is he going to steal? yelling at the announcers...the whole 9.

now i can barely watch an inning. maybe because i have 2 yr old who turns 3 in august and a one year old just a few weeks ago. i just dont get into it like i used to. by the time i put them down my wife and i just crush the couch and dont move.

tell you what i miss...TWIB with mel allen...loved it

When Interpol?
Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: MaryCas] #787896
07/08/14 01:23 PM
07/08/14 01:23 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline OP
MaryCas  Offline OP

South of the Pinelands
I moved to South Jersey 7 years ago from Rockland County, NY. We had the YES network and watched a lot of Yankees. I move down here and the YES network was available, but when it was time for the games - blackout. Its Philly country down here. I watch games on occasion, but even watching the Yankees on Fox, TBS, or ? is painful. The game has gotten slower and the announcers worse. I remember going to a Yankee game and be driving up the Major Deegan at 10 pm.

Hey Kly, what do you think about Sandberg? Another year? Incredible how the hitting has dropped off so drastically. And the pitching. Battle for the basement with the Mets.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: MaryCas] #788210
07/10/14 05:14 AM
07/10/14 05:14 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: MaryCas

Hey Kly, what do you think about Sandberg? Another year? Incredible how the hitting has dropped off so drastically. And the pitching. Battle for the basement with the Mets.

Yes. I like Sandberg and realize that he is saddled with a team of declining veterans. Sandberg has made some odd strategic moves during games that have backfired, but I don't mind the aggressiveness. While winning has been inconsistent under Sandberg, effort hasn't. The team plays hard for him. He was a great motivator and winner in the minors and soon those guys he managed will be moving up to fill roster spots.

Dominic Brown is probably the least productive starting player in the game, and they have a lot of dead, aging payroll weight, like Ryan Howard and Jimmy Rollins.

The pitching staff is ok with Hamels and Lee, once he gets off the DL, as a solid 1-2 punch. And the bullpen had an unbelievably good June. But the middle relief won't hold up as it's young. Papelbon surprisingly is having as good a year as he's ever had. he just doesn't get as many save opportunities as he should, but he has saved about 19 of 21 games with an ERA of about 1.20, which should have won him a spot on the all-star team.

The biggest problem is GM. Amaro, Jr. has acquired a lot of mediocre talent. There are some promising prospects in the minors, but not as much as there should be. There should be a lot of interest in Chase Utley, Papelbon, and Lee at the trading deadline, and I think the team should move the first two and maybe Lee if they can replenish the farm.

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: MaryCas] #788706
07/12/14 01:28 PM
07/12/14 01:28 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
So the Pirates sweep the Phillies, but then lose four out of their last five. Go figure.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: olivant] #789233
07/15/14 07:50 AM
07/15/14 07:50 AM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
While I can't stand Metallica, I thought this was a pretty clever commercial about how Mariano River's retirement impacted the band.

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: goombah] #789237
07/15/14 08:27 AM
07/15/14 08:27 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Good stuff, Goom. I hate that shit, but I love Mariano and that was great!

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: pizzaboy] #790194
07/18/14 07:00 PM
07/18/14 07:00 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania

I'm having a senior moment and I can't remember if they had a similar falling out confused .

I just happened to see this for the first time now, pizzaboy.

Bonds and Bonilla were very close friends during their time in Pittsburgh and later on. With Andy Van Slyke in center they made up one of the greatest outfields in the past 40 years.

Both Bonds and Bonilla didn't get along well with Van Slyke.

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: klydon1] #790203
07/18/14 07:29 PM
07/18/14 07:29 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

Bonds and Bonilla were very close friends during their time in Pittsburgh and later on. With Andy Van Slyke in center they made up one of the greatest outfields in the past 40 years.

That's it! (as I snap my fingers). I knew I remembered something about bad blood in the outfield smile.

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: pizzaboy] #790255
07/19/14 07:45 AM
07/19/14 07:45 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I think CC Sabathia may actually be finished. When athletes who have battled weight all their lives start having knee and back operations, it's never a good sign. He's actually pretty svelte right now, but I think the damage is done. But I'm not a doctor. Time will tell smile.

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: pizzaboy] #790389
07/19/14 06:04 PM
07/19/14 06:04 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania

That's it! (as I snap my fingers). I knew I remembered something about bad blood in the outfield smile.

To their credit they put aside differences to play very well together. The Pirates in the 70s and 80s always seemed to manage to put together terrific outfields. Dave Parker/Al Oliver/Richie Zisk, and then Omar Moreno and Bill Robinson/Mike Easler joined Parker for the World Series team in '79. They also had Lee Lacy, one of the finest pinch hitting outfielders of the era.

Re: MLB - 2014 [Re: pizzaboy] #790392
07/19/14 06:08 PM
07/19/14 06:08 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
I think CC Sabathia may actually be finished. When athletes who have battled weight all their lives start having knee and back operations, it's never a good sign. He's actually pretty svelte right now, but I think the damage is done. But I'm not a doctor. Time will tell smile.

I think his days as an effective starter are over. Some guys can play in their 40s, but to do that you have to start taking care of the body in the 20s.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11