GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (joepuzzles234, The_Marble_Guy, m2w), 293 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,490
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,917
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,331
Posts1,058,790
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788301
07/10/14 05:59 PM
07/10/14 05:59 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
I disagree on Denzel I think he's great. Maybe lately he hasn't been as great but he's still one of the greatest imo. But yes I agree Mcconaughey has been in many bad chick flick movies. But I think he is answering for them now with his recent roles definitely. I'm just saying that as of present day I think he is one the greatest actors in the business right now if not the greatest. But we'll see. Norton was great I love him. I think him and Mcconaughey have a lot of similarities in certain ways. I think Mcconaughey has been phenomenal lately though very impressed.

Really? That baffles me, what makes you think Denzel is one of the greatest.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Moe_Tilden] #788302
07/10/14 06:51 PM
07/10/14 06:51 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Was: Revis_Island
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Moe_Tilden

I just don't think Brad Pitt has the depth to pull off weighty scenes.

He's barely even believable doing a monologue in a perfume ad.

Don't get me wrong. I like him in Seven and Fight Club but it's not because of his acting. It's because he is/was a cool guy; at least before Angelina Jolie got her hands on him.

Yeah I can understand that. I agree I don't think there's much depth to his performances. Only person I disagree with 100% with on that list is Denzel

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788303
07/10/14 06:54 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
His performance as Malcolm x was all I needed to see. Even though he has many other performances. But that's the culmination of it all without a doubt. Easily should have 3 oscars with that one. I just think his body of work puts him up there as one of the greatest of his era.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788304
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Disagree on norton I don't think he's overrated at all. I think he's a phenomenal actor.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Camarel] #788305
07/10/14 07:02 PM
07/10/14 07:02 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Camarel
Originally Posted By: Moe_Tilden
Before he got black listed, Edward Norton trumped them all.

Just noticed this i think Norton also fits into the overrated bracket, to clarify i don't actually think he's a bad or average actor since Revis has redefined the word overrated tongue .*

Norton was pretty good in American History X and his best role imo: 25th Hour. The problem i have with him is Primal Fear, neither the choirboy or Roy are believable. Yet it's usually touted as an underrated performance, the twist is the reason people rethink both characters imo.

Saying someone is overrated in no way means you're saying they're average! Plenty of directors,actors,etc; i'd rate from good to great but still think they're overrated. For example i imagine if we were to have a poll of this site Quentin Tarantino would make the top 5 at least, while he'd be lucky to crack my top 20. Yet i think he's a good director.

Then quentin Tarantino would be overhyped in your book not overrated. Overhyped means you can be good or even great, but if you're being put up there as one of the greatest to ever do it when you simply don't deserve that praise at the moment then you're being overhyped. Overrated is when you're just average no different than most people in your profession but you get touted as if your an elite individual at whatever you do. Let's take Tim Tebow for example. Many people were overrating him at nausea. Not really saying that he was an elite QB but some people said he was a good or even great QB when that just simply wasn't true. Great QBs are great throwers of the football and put up at least somewhat impressive statistics which tebow did not. Nothing against tebow he's just the only example I could think of off the top of my head honestly. There's usually not that many people who are overrated. Overhyped yes, but not overrated. The word overrated gets overused today mostly because of sports imo.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788311
07/10/14 08:34 PM
07/10/14 08:34 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Here's the definition's of overrate on the online dictionary. to assess too highly, to rate or appraise too highly.

Here's the definition of overhype from the same website and most dictionaries if you have one close; make exaggerated claims about (a product, idea, or event); publicize or promote excessively., To promote or publicize to excess.

So i think it's pretty clear i meant overrated, the word HYPE should've made it clear enough. I don't watch American Football, so after skipping to the end and finding out i overuse the word Overrate made my day lol

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/overrated

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788313
07/10/14 08:36 PM
07/10/14 08:36 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Disagree on norton I don't think he's overrated at all. I think he's a phenomenal actor.

In what roles? Just wondering i personally think he's overrated.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Camarel] #788328
07/10/14 09:36 PM
07/10/14 09:36 PM
Yankees1951 Offline
Made Member
Yankees1951  Offline
Made Member

In what roles? Just wondering i personally think he's overrated.

He's overrated yeah your right he sure is!

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788375
07/11/14 06:53 AM
07/11/14 06:53 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Primal fear, American history x and fight club are definitely his best best roles imo

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788377
07/11/14 06:55 AM
07/11/14 06:55 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
over-rated just means that an average person gets the same amount of attention as someone who is very good or great.

over-hyped means someone or something gets far far far too much attention. They might be good, they might even be great. But the amount of attention, fanfare, and noise is way out of proportion. It usually means someone is trying to make money and trying to get people to watch or buy it.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Camarel] #788379
07/11/14 06:57 AM
07/11/14 06:57 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Here's the definition's of overrate on the online dictionary. to assess too highly, to rate or appraise too highly.

Here's the definition of overhype from the same website and most dictionaries if you have one close; make exaggerated claims about (a product, idea, or event); publicize or promote excessively., To promote or publicize to excess.

So i think it's pretty clear i meant overrated, the word HYPE should've made it clear enough. I don't watch American Football, so after skipping to the end and finding out i overuse the word Overrate made my day lol

Not necesarrily you overusing the word just people in general. Like you said you don't watch sports so you wouldn't understand my logic behind the whole overrated and overhyped subject.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788381
07/11/14 06:59 AM
07/11/14 06:59 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
And just curious, why would Tarantino not even be in your top 20? If you look at it objectivity can you really say that there's 20 directors with better résumés than Tarantino? I understand that he's not in your top 20 favorite directors but if you were lookig at it objectively would you put him up there? As a matter of fact name your top 5 best directors of all time.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788382
07/11/14 07:03 AM
07/11/14 07:03 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
http://www.thesportsfanjournal.com/sport...-and-overhyped/

Here is an article about being overrated and overhyped specifically related to sports if you are interested.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788392
07/11/14 07:39 AM
07/11/14 07:39 AM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
http://www.thesportsfanjournal.com/sport...-and-overhyped/

Here is an article about being overrated and overhyped specifically related to sports if you are interested.

I didn't read that far into the article but hear is a quote from it that sums up my feelings on those actors mentioned -

"To be overrated should mean that a player’s actual skill set does not match the value bestowed upon her or him."

I mean while i think they are capable actors i don't agree with them being called some of the greatest actors. So as i already explained overrated was the correct word to use and no matter how much you repeat it, it doesn't neccessarily mean i think they're average.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788396
07/11/14 07:50 AM
07/11/14 07:50 AM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
And just curious, why would Tarantino not even be in your top 20? If you look at it objectivity can you really say that there's 20 directors with better résumés than Tarantino? I understand that he's not in your top 20 favorite directors but if you were lookig at it objectively would you put him up there? As a matter of fact name your top 5 best directors of all time.

What are you talking about? There is no objective ranking of directors. There are plenty of respected film critics for instance that wouldn't have QT in their top 50, and there are plenty of respected film critics who think he's the greatest ever. Neither are correct, both just have opinions like me or you.

My top 5 directors:

1.Martin Scorcese
2.Alfred Hitchcock
3.Akira Kurosawa
4.Billy Wilder
5.John Huston

Also another 15 in no particular order to make it 20:

Paul Thomas Anderson
Sergio Leone
Steven Spielberg
Francis Ford Coppola
Park Chan-Wook
Howard Hawks
Bong Joon-Ho
Frank Capra
Coen Brothers
William Friedkin
Elia Kazan
Stanley Kubrick
Wes Anderson
David Lynch
David Fincher

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788398
07/11/14 07:52 AM
07/11/14 07:52 AM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland

Not necesarrily you overusing the word just people in general. Like you said you don't watch sports so you wouldn't understand my logic behind the whole overrated and overhyped subject.

I didn't say i don't watch sports just not the sport you were talking about.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788431
07/11/14 09:53 AM
07/11/14 09:53 AM
afriendofours Offline
Underboss
afriendofours  Offline
Underboss
Not to mention another actor but Johnny Depp really is up there as one of the greats for me.

You just have to watch the Hunter S Thompson interviews to see how spot on he was. Same with Donnie Brasco(Joe Pistones) voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiw9yg9E8g8

Last edited by afriendofours; 07/11/14 09:54 AM.
Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Camarel] #788460
07/11/14 12:15 PM
07/11/14 12:15 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss

What are you talking about? There is no objective ranking of directors. There are plenty of respected film critics for instance that wouldn't have QT in their top 50, and there are plenty of respected film critics who think he's the greatest ever. Neither are correct, both just have opinions like me or you.

My top 5 directors:

1.Martin Scorcese
2.Alfred Hitchcock
3.Akira Kurosawa
4.Billy Wilder
5.John Huston

Paul Thomas Anderson
Sergio Leone
Steven Spielberg
Francis Ford Coppola
Park Chan-Wook
Howard Hawks
Bong Joon-Ho
Frank Capra
Coen Brothers
William Friedkin
Elia Kazan
Stanley Kubrick
Wes Anderson
David Lynch
David Fincher

There are objective ways of looking at film. Personally idk how but the film experts and movie buffs always tell me that there is. For instance, you might ny be the biggest lebron James fan but looking at it objectively you would have to say the guy is great.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788462
07/11/14 12:18 PM
07/11/14 12:18 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
I guess maybe an objective way of looking at film would be looking at it as if it was a piece of art? I'm not a movie expert like other people but I'm sure they could give you a straight answer as to how they look at a movie objectively.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: afriendofours] #788464
07/11/14 12:22 PM
07/11/14 12:22 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted By: afriendofours
Not to mention another actor but Johnny Depp really is up there as one of the greats for me.

You just have to watch the Hunter S Thompson interviews to see how spot on he was. Same with Donnie Brasco(Joe Pistones) voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiw9yg9E8g8

Sometimes I just feel that he plays himself in many movies. But I do believe that in his best performances like fear and loathing in LV he was amazing. When he is on he is out of this world.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Camarel] #788466
07/11/14 12:24 PM
07/11/14 12:24 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss

My top 5 directors:

1.Martin Scorcese
2.Alfred Hitchcock
3.Akira Kurosawa
4.Billy Wilder
5.John Huston

Paul Thomas Anderson
Sergio Leone
Steven Spielberg
Francis Ford Coppola
Park Chan-Wook
Howard Hawks
Bong Joon-Ho
Frank Capra
Coen Brothers
William Friedkin
Elia Kazan
Stanley Kubrick
Wes Anderson
David Lynch
David Fincher

I agree I believe Scorsese is the GOAT. What'd you think of Grand Budapest hotel? Personally I would put Tarantino at least in your list of people outside the top 5 but I guess you prefer different types of movies.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Camarel] #788468
07/11/14 12:27 PM
07/11/14 12:27 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss

So you're a baseball or basketball fan? Personally football, baseball and basketball are my favorite.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788473
07/11/14 12:28 PM
07/11/14 12:28 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Any possible ground breaking upcoming movies in anyone's mind? I used to think the Irishman would do that but Idek if they're still making that. I was thinking many the legacy of secrecy with De Niro and DiCaprio.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788477
07/11/14 12:37 PM
07/11/14 12:37 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland

My top 5 directors:

1.Martin Scorcese
2.Alfred Hitchcock
3.Akira Kurosawa
4.Billy Wilder
5.John Huston

Paul Thomas Anderson
Sergio Leone
Steven Spielberg
Francis Ford Coppola
Park Chan-Wook
Howard Hawks
Bong Joon-Ho
Frank Capra
Coen Brothers
William Friedkin
Elia Kazan
Stanley Kubrick
Wes Anderson
David Lynch
David Fincher

I agree I believe Scorsese is the GOAT. What'd you think of Grand Budapest hotel? Personally I would put Tarantino at least in your list of people outside the top 5 but I guess you prefer different types of movies.

Grand Budapest Hotel is the only movie of his i haven't seen yet. I still like QT, he's just not among my favourites. I liked Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Jackie Brown and Django Unchanged. I thought Kill Bill was ok, and i'm not a fan of the rest.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788479
07/11/14 12:45 PM
07/11/14 12:45 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland

My top 5 directors:

1.Martin Scorcese
2.Alfred Hitchcock
3.Akira Kurosawa
4.Billy Wilder
5.John Huston

Paul Thomas Anderson
Sergio Leone
Steven Spielberg
Francis Ford Coppola
Park Chan-Wook
Howard Hawks
Bong Joon-Ho
Frank Capra
Coen Brothers
William Friedkin
Elia Kazan
Stanley Kubrick
Wes Anderson
David Lynch
David Fincher

There are objective ways of looking at film. Personally idk how but the film experts and movie buffs always tell me that there is. For instance, you might ny be the biggest lebron James fan but looking at it objectively you would have to say the guy is great.

I see what you are saying, but the LBJ example is not a good one imo. For LBJ we have stats to analyze, that make it objectively true that he is great. We don't have anything similar for films. When it comes to The Godfather vs Goodfellas for instance, how can we say one is objectively better than the other? The answer is we can't, i personally prefer The Godfather but that's only my subjective opinion.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788481
07/11/14 12:46 PM
07/11/14 12:46 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland

So you're a baseball or basketball fan? Personally football, baseball and basketball are my favorite.

Football (Soccer), Basketball and Tennis.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788485
07/11/14 12:55 PM
07/11/14 12:55 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Any possible ground breaking upcoming movies in anyone's mind? I used to think the Irishman would do that but Idek if they're still making that. I was thinking many the legacy of secrecy with De Niro and DiCaprio.

Interstellar and Inherant Vice for me. There's also David Fincher's Gone Girl and Richard Linklater's Boyhood, which is a 12 year project.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyhood_%28film%29

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788569
07/11/14 07:03 PM
07/11/14 07:03 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Yes gone girl is one I've been really wanting to see. I feel like I'm getting my hopes up too high though. Inherent vice seems interesting I need to see a trailer though. And kill the messenger looks really good from the trailer. Intrestellar I talked about before and I think that can be really great with mcconaughey and Nolan pairing up. Black mass with johnny depp I think can be really good. I can't wait to see that one. Idk if you guys have seen pics on johnny depp playing whitey bulger but he looks completely transformed. I can't tell if the makeup is brilliant or terrible lol. I'll have I see it on screen to judge.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788570
07/11/14 07:04 PM
07/11/14 07:04 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
GBH was funny though. It was alright as an overall movie. Idk if it's a movie that I REALLY liked but I'd probably watch it again.

Re: Leonardo DiCaprio vs Christian Bale [Re: Revis_Knicks] #788573
07/11/14 07:07 PM
07/11/14 07:07 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Oh that's right you're in Scotland. I wouldn't expect football to be big in Europe.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull