GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Irishman12, BarrettM, Toodoped, 1 invisible), 334 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,446
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,848
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,509
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,312
Posts1,058,405
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear #784924
06/20/14 09:13 PM
06/20/14 09:13 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Was: Revis_Island
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Both movies came out in the same year. Both lead actors gave ground breaking performances. What movie do you think should've won at the oscars? Do you think silence of the lambs deservedly won over cape fear? Do you think Anyhony Hopkins' win over Robert De Niro was justified? Both movies and performances should be celebrated however.

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #784926
06/20/14 09:20 PM
06/20/14 09:20 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
"Lambs" was a better film and it deserved Best Picture. Hopkins' performance was iconic. He deserved his Oscar. And if you want to get technical, DeNiro's performance wasn't even second best in 1991:

The other nominees: Warren Beatty for "Bugsy," Robin Williams for "The Fisher King," and Nick Nolte for "The Prince of Tides," were just as good as DeNiro that year. But none of them were as good as Hopkins.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #784931
06/20/14 10:31 PM
06/20/14 10:31 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Deniro had nothing on Robert Michums, Max Cady in the 60s. That being said i have never been a fan of Silence of the Lambs, or Hopkins performance in it, there was just no stronger nominee that year. The best performance of 1991 in my opinion was either, John Turturro in Barton Fink or Andy Lau in Days of Being Wild.

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #784942
06/20/14 11:46 PM
06/20/14 11:46 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

I'll go with Seven and Kevin Spacey's performance over both of them. He was in the film for only about 15 minutes but he stole the show.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #784967
06/21/14 05:52 AM
06/21/14 05:52 AM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Se7en was years later Ivy. Great performance anyway.

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #784970
06/21/14 06:11 AM
06/21/14 06:11 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
See the original cape fear with Robert Mitchum I like to better then DeNiro's version.

Mitchum was not nuts just wanted a little pay back

only the unloved hate
Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #784974
06/21/14 06:29 AM
06/21/14 06:29 AM
TheKillingJoke Offline
Underboss
TheKillingJoke  Offline
Underboss
Silence Of The Lambs.
Although I'm a bit biased, after all it was one of the first thrillers I have ever seen. But in my opinion it was just way more moody, eerie, iconic than De Niro's Cape Fear was -which is a good film, but nothing all that special.

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: IvyLeague] #784977
06/21/14 06:47 AM
06/21/14 06:47 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
I'll go with Seven and Kevin Spacey's performance over both of them. He was in the film for only about 15 minutes but he stole the show.

Originally Posted By: Camarel
Se7en was years later Ivy. Great performance anyway.

Yeah, get with it, Ivy tongue lol .

But seriously, the kid is right. We're talking about films released in 1991, and eligible for the Oscars that took place on March 30, 1992: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64th_Academy_Awards

Originally Posted By: Footreads
See the original cape fear with Robert Mitchum I like to better then DeNiro's version.

It's not even close. Mitchum's Cady was a psychological study. DeNiro's was a cartoon character (but I should point out that I think the remake was still a good popcorn movie).

Mitchum was not nuts just wanted a little pay back

Not for nothing, Foot. But you're too fucking crazy yourself to judge what's crazy in others whistle.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #785015
06/21/14 09:54 AM
06/21/14 09:54 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
I agree I believe silence of the lambs was better. I believe cape fear is close. But yes that was a career defining performance by Hopkins and I think he also deserved it actually. I think De Niro was still great in cape fear though. He showed his versatility off imo. But I do believe de niro should've won for taxi driver, deer hunter, king of comedy(just saw that recently) and mean streets. How him and Keitel weren't even nominated for mean streets blows my mind. I guess you could make an argument for some of his other performances as well. Any other great Anthony Hopkins movies you guys suggest?

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Camarel] #785016
06/21/14 09:56 AM
06/21/14 09:56 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Deniro had nothing on Robert Michums, Max Cady in the 60s. That being said i have never been a fan of Silence of the Lambs, or Hopkins performance in it, there was just no stronger nominee that year. The best performance of 1991 in my opinion was either, John Turturro in Barton Fink or Andy Lau in Days of Being Wild.

John Turturro is very underrated. There's a lot of underrated actors out there.

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #785018
06/21/14 10:02 AM
06/21/14 10:02 AM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
I agree I believe silence of the lambs was better. I believe cape fear is close. But yes that was a career defining performance by Hopkins and I think he also deserved it actually. I think De Niro was still great in cape fear though. He showed his versatility off imo. But I do believe de niro should've won for taxi driver, deer hunter, king of comedy(just saw that recently) and mean streets. How him and Keitel weren't even nominated for mean streets blows my mind. I guess you could make an argument for some of his other performances as well. Any other great Anthony Hopkins movies you guys suggest?

Agreed on Taxi Driver and especially The King of Comedy which is his best performance imo. I disagree on both Mean Streets and Deer Hunter though, i thought Jack Lemmon was a deserving winner in 1973 and i would also pick Pacino for Serpico above it. Jon Voight also deserved his Oscar imo, i watched Coming Home recently and while i didn't really like it i thought Voight was excellent.

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #785020
06/21/14 10:06 AM
06/21/14 10:06 AM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland

Turturro is a great actor, particularly in Barton Fink and Quiz Show imo. It's a pity that he appeared in all of those crappy Adam Sandler movies.

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #785023
06/21/14 10:13 AM
06/21/14 10:13 AM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
curious do you consider Deer Hunter a war movie? I thought it was a movie about really good friends.

only the unloved hate
Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Camarel] #785025
06/21/14 10:15 AM
06/21/14 10:15 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss

Agreed on Taxi Driver and especially The King of Comedy which is his best performance imo. I disagree on both Mean Streets and Deer Hunter though, i thought Jack Lemmon was a deserving winner in 1973 and i would also pick Pacino for Serpico above it. Jon Voight also deserved his Oscar imo, i watched Coming Home recently and while i didn't really like it i thought Voight was excellent.

For mean streets he would be up for supporting actor not lead. And Voight was great(probably the only performance I really like by him)but I don't think I could say that performance was better than De Niro's(or Walken's for that matter even though he was a supporting actor). Yes I just saw king of comedy recently and I was very impressed. Also I think his performance in once upon a time in America is something to take note of too. Very reserved and still made a big impact on the screen. Midnight run as well is a favorite of mine. I think that's an underrated performance. Not your typical De Niro performance during that time but maybe that's why I liked it, because he went out of his zone that we were used to seeing him in.

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Footreads] #785026
06/21/14 10:16 AM
06/21/14 10:16 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
curious do you consider Deer Hunter a war movie? I thought it was a movie about really good friends.

No I don't consider it a war movie personally. I agree with your statement. There's flashes of it being a war movie but all in all it's not. At least imo.

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Camarel] #785027
06/21/14 10:17 AM
06/21/14 10:17 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss

Turturro is a great actor, particularly in Barton Fink and Quiz Show imo. It's a pity that he appeared in all of those crappy Adam Sandler movies.

He is hilarious though lol. He's gonna play Frankie Carbo in "Hands of Stone" with De Niro and Usher. Tommy Como from raging bull was based on frankie Carbo.

Last edited by Revis_Island; 06/21/14 10:18 AM.
Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #785032
06/21/14 10:25 AM
06/21/14 10:25 AM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland

For mean streets he would be up for supporting actor not lead. And Voight was great(probably the only performance I really like by him)but I don't think I could say that performance was better than De Niro's(or Walken's for that matter even though he was a supporting actor). Yes I just saw king of comedy recently and I was very impressed. Also I think his performance in once upon a time in America is something to take note of too. Very reserved and still made a big impact on the screen. Midnight run as well is a favorite of mine. I think that's an underrated performance. Not your typical De Niro performance during that time but maybe that's why I liked it, because he went out of his zone that we were used to seeing him in.

Well i haven't seen The Paper Chase so i can't comment on that. Voight was also good in Midnight Cowboy imo. Midnight Run is one of my favourite ever comedies.

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #785034
06/21/14 10:45 AM
06/21/14 10:45 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Paper chase isn't bad. I think Houseman was very good. Idk if his perfomace was excellent to the point where he deserved the oscar or anything. But imo, out of all the people who were up for supporting actor, De Niro gave the best perfromance with Johnny Boy in mean streets. And Keitel should've been nominated for best lead actor. Like you said, I think Lemmon gave the best performance and deserved to win though. De Niro has given a lot of amazing performances though I'll tell ya. From the early 70s up til 2000 he gave so many phenomenal performances and gave us so many great movies. Now he's a shadow of what he once was. He was wonderful in silver linings playbook however. I think he should've won best supporting actor for that too over waltz. Waltz was great in django and inglorious bastards but in django it just seemed like he played the same type of guy but maybe a little nicer. Waltz should've been up for lead not supporting as well.

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #785037
06/21/14 10:54 AM
06/21/14 10:54 AM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Paper chase isn't bad. I think Houseman was very good. Idk if his perfomace was excellent to the point where he deserved the oscar or anything. But imo, out of all the people who were up for supporting actor, De Niro gave the best perfromance with Johnny Boy in mean streets. And Keitel should've been nominated for best lead actor. Like you said, I think Lemmon gave the best performance and deserved to win though. De Niro has given a lot of amazing performances though I'll tell ya. From the early 70s up til 2000 he gave so many phenomenal performances and gave us so many great movies. Now he's a shadow of what he once was. He was wonderful in silver linings playbook however. I think he should've won best supporting actor for that too over waltz. Waltz was great in django and inglorious bastards but in django it just seemed like he played the same type of guy but maybe a little nicer. Waltz should've been up for lead not supporting as well.

I think Phillip Seymour Hoffman in The Master was better than both of them. Joaquin Phoenix also deserved the Oscar for The Master that year, Phoenix in The Master is my favourite performance of this decade so far.

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #785038
06/21/14 10:58 AM
06/21/14 10:58 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Oh god yes I forgot about PSH! I change my mind I actually do think he should've won for that. Daniel day Lewis was great in Lincoln though idk it'd be tough to overthrow him that year. My favorite perfromance of the decade is christian Bale in the fighter I think.

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #785040
06/21/14 11:01 AM
06/21/14 11:01 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Actually I really believe Day-Lewis deserved that oscar.

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #785041
06/21/14 11:03 AM
06/21/14 11:03 AM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Actually I really believe Day-Lewis deserved that oscar.

Completely disagree, he was great but Phoenix deserved that oscar imo. I actually think he would've won it, if he wasn't so controversial and hadn't came out and said the Oscars and similar awards are meaningless (which they are of course) .

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #785042
06/21/14 11:04 AM
06/21/14 11:04 AM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Oh god yes I forgot about PSH! I change my mind I actually do think he should've won for that. Daniel day Lewis was great in Lincoln though idk it'd be tough to overthrow him that year. My favorite perfromance of the decade is christian Bale in the fighter I think.

That's surprising, i thought he was good in The Fighter, but it wouldn't even crack my top ten for this decade.

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #785043
06/21/14 11:10 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
I just thought that the way he captured the real guys voice and mannerisms was uncanny. At the end of the movie they showed the real Dicky Ecklund and Bale nailed it imo. That would be my number 1. And idk I really liked Day-Lewis in Lincoln man. Phoenix was great obviously though. Can't go wrong with either one I suppose but I agreed with the result.

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #785044
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
And I'm not even a big Day-Lewis fan

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #785050
06/21/14 11:48 AM
06/21/14 11:48 AM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
And I'm not even a big Day-Lewis fan

I love Day-Lewis and his performancee as Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood, (another PTA flm) was my favourite from the previous decade. I just didn't think it came close to Phoenix, anyway agree to disagree.

Also how do you know what Lincolns voice sounded like? tongue lol

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #785052
06/21/14 11:59 AM
06/21/14 11:59 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
I was talking about bale with the voice and mannerisms not Day-Lewis with Lincoln. But yeah I haven't gotten into Day-Lewis all that much yet. Haven't watched enough of his movies yet I guess. But yes agree to disagree on that topic. I think we agreed on most of the stuff that we just discussed though.

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #785055
06/21/14 12:11 PM
06/21/14 12:11 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
I was talking about bale with the voice and mannerisms not Day-Lewis with Lincoln. But yeah I haven't gotten into Day-Lewis all that much yet. Haven't watched enough of his movies yet I guess. But yes agree to disagree on that topic. I think we agreed on most of the stuff that we just discussed though.

Try There Will Be Blood, Gangs of New York and In The Name of the Father if you haven't seen any of them. He was better in all of them than he was in Lincoln imo. Another good film with Day-Lewis is The Last of the Mohicans.

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #785063
06/21/14 12:43 PM
06/21/14 12:43 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
I'll check them out. Thank you very much! Have you seen the movie angel heart? It's with De Niro and Rourke and I've only seen some scenes but it looks like such a great movie. Hasn't been on tv so I haven't been able to watch it.

Re: Silence of the lambs vs Cape Fear [Re: Revis_Knicks] #785076
06/21/14 01:23 PM
06/21/14 01:23 PM
F
Footreads Offline
Underboss
Footreads  Offline
F
Underboss
When I went to see Gang of NY I was not expecting what I saw. I thought it would be NY street gangs during the 1950s 1960s my time.

That lasted until the end of the first gang fight.

The one part that made me laugh was when Dicaprio told the butcher no pistols. Then he says good boy. I would have told him the same thing. Then when the fight started we all would have guns and we would have kill them all.

only the unloved hate
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull