GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Mafia101, 1 invisible), 571 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,121
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,384
Posts1,059,724
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Difference between Sicilians and Italians? #757113
01/05/14 12:52 PM
01/05/14 12:52 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Was: Revis_Island
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
I know sicilians are Italians. My family is from Sicily for the most part. What's are the differences between Sicilians and the mainlanders? I've seen differences between northerners and southerners but never much of a notable difference between Sicilians and other southern Italians such as people who are of calabrese descent. Is Sicily mainly differentiated sometimes because they are autonomous? I have many friends who are southern italian. Most of my friends growing up were of sicilian, neapolitan or calabrese descent. I am an italian American so the friends I grew up with were also italian American who were born and raised in America. Except for one of them who was born in calabria. Him and his family lived next door to me. But my parents who spoke fluent italian never had a problem communicating with them and they cooked the same way as us also. His parents reminded me of people in my family. And they looked like people in my family too because they had dark hair, brown eyes and dark skin. I'm sure actually in Italy there's more of a difference but I've been there before and I've still never seen a huge difference that some people speak of. This is just from my personal experience of course. Obviously there's regional dialects, but there are regional dialects in every country. Also, do you know what "Blutze" is? My grandma said that growing up some of her friends were that. Idk how to spell it but she pronounced it "Blute-Zay".
Thank you

Last edited by Revis_Island; 01/05/14 12:57 PM.
Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #757120
01/05/14 02:39 PM
01/05/14 02:39 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
For one, Sicily has a much different history than the mainland characterized by a vast array of invaders.

As far as Blutz-zay goes: I think she was probably saying Abruzzese which applies to someone from Abruzzi province which is east of Lazio province which is where Rome is located. My grandfather was from Compobosso in Abruzzi.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #757163
01/05/14 07:36 PM
01/05/14 07:36 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
There are Sicilians and there are those who wish they were lucky enough to have been born Sicilians. That's the only difference. wink

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #757189
01/05/14 09:58 PM
01/05/14 09:58 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
There are Sicilians and there are those who wish they were lucky enough to have been born Sicilians. That's the only difference. wink

And then there are those who thank the almighty that they weren't born Sicilian and, instead, were born Napolitan!

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: olivant] #757214
01/05/14 11:44 PM
01/05/14 11:44 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Yea but, Sicilians rule!!!!!! smile I mean everybody loves a Sicilian.

smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #757216
01/06/14 12:02 AM
01/06/14 12:02 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
As far as I'm concerned italian is italian no matter what specific type of italian you are. There definitely is a pretty big difference between southern Italians and northern Italians.

Difference between Sicilians and Italians #757221
01/06/14 12:07 AM
01/06/14 12:07 AM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
I know sicilians are Italians. My family is from Sicily for the most part. What's are the differences between Sicilians and the mainlanders? I've seen differences between northerners and southerners but never much of a notable difference between Sicilians and other southern Italians such as people who are of calabrese descent. Is Sicily mainly differentiated sometimes because they are autonomous? I have many friends who are southern italian. Most of my friends growing up were of sicilian, neapolitan or calabrese descent. I am an italian American so the friends I grew up with were also italian American who were born and raised in America. Except for one of them who was born in calabria. Him and his family lived next door to me. But my parents who spoke fluent italian never had a problem communicating with them and they cooked the same way as us also. His parents reminded me of people in my family. And they looked like people in my family too because they had dark hair, brown eyes and dark skin. I'm sure actually in Italy there's more of a difference but I've been there before and I've still never seen a huge difference that some people speak of. This is just from my personal experience of course. Obviously there's regional dialects, but there are regional dialects in every country. Also, do you know what "Blutze" is? My grandma said that growing up some of her friends were that. Idk how to spell it but she pronounced it "Blute-Zay".
I actually put this exact thread in a different forum but it was dead. I barely got any replies. More people can see it if I put it on this forum.
Thank you.

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians [Re: Revis_Knicks] #757231
01/06/14 01:34 AM
01/06/14 01:34 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Revis_Island

I actually put this exact thread in a different forum but it was dead. I barely got any replies. More people can see it if I put it on this forum.
Thank you.

That doesn't determine in which forum this should be posted. This subject has nothing to do with organized crime and it is being moved to the General Discussion forum.

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians [Re: SC] #757276
01/06/14 01:51 PM
01/06/14 01:51 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Keep in mind that "Italy" was not officially a country until the mid 1800's. That is why the people in Milano and Torino look and speak differently than people in Napoli. Presently there is a move on for these northern areas to secede from Italy because their industrial wealth subzidizes the South.

Sicily, as someone noted was invaded over and over by the Spanish, the Arabs, and even the Normans, and because it is an island the people there took on characteristics distinct from those on the mainland. Even their dialect is different. The most pronounced difference is that vowels at the end of works gets dropped, hence "prosciutto" becomes "prozhut" and "mozzerella" becomes "mozzerell."

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians [Re: dontomasso] #757286
01/06/14 02:19 PM
01/06/14 02:19 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Even their dialect is different. The most pronounced difference is that vowels at the end of works gets dropped, hence "prosciutto" becomes "prozhut" and "mozzerella" becomes "mozzerell."

That's interesting because my family pronounces prosciutto and mozzarella exactly that way even though we're primarily Napolitan. I wish I could ask my Dad about any Sicilian influence in our neighborhood.

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians [Re: olivant] #757288
01/06/14 02:23 PM
01/06/14 02:23 PM
California

California
All of my relation (Sicilian both sides) definitely do NOT drop vowels at the end of words. I thought it was more an "Italy" (rather than Sicilian) thing. I'll hear someone say Provolone and to me it's pronounced "Provolonie". confused

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #757289
01/06/14 02:35 PM
01/06/14 02:35 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Yea but, Sicilians rule!!!!!! smile I mean everybody loves a Sicilian.

smile

TIS

I love Old World Sicilian Pizza made by JoJo's Italian Grill in Egg Harbor Township, NJ. Square, thin crust, sauce, sausage, red onion and spices; NO CHEESE. Fabuloso. And I love you too TIS. blush

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: MaryCas] #757293
01/06/14 02:46 PM
01/06/14 02:46 PM
California

California
Aww thanks MC. Love you too. wink

Speaking of pizza, when I was young my mom always made her own pizza (and bread) from scratch. It wasn't until high school at some point that I had take-out pizza while at a friends house. I was shocked at how thin the crust was. lol What, and nobody wanted anchovies on it? WTF. We always had anchovies on pizza. LOL

Don't know if thick crust/thin crust is a a Northern/Southern Italy tradition OR more an American thing.

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 01/07/14 01:11 PM.

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #757309
01/06/14 04:42 PM
01/06/14 04:42 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
I never saw Sicily as a whole different country like some people did and still do today. And some people say you can tell what part of Italy their ancestors come from by their last name but that's not 100% true whatsoever. Someone can have the last name Angelo and can be from Florence or Sicily.

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #757312
01/06/14 04:55 PM
01/06/14 04:55 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Nobody in Sicily drops the vowels at the end of words, and I'm there all the time, around them all the time. Dropping vowels at the end of words is the way Italian-Americans speak when they think they're speaking Sicilian, but actually have no idea what they're saying.

And today, all the new generations are brought up speaking Italian proper.

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #757322
01/06/14 05:40 PM
01/06/14 05:40 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
There have been some that actually consider Sicilian a whole different language rather than a dialect. It has the influence of so many different cultures, Norman, Arab, Greek, and so on, that it can be very different than what it spoken in Rome, for example.

As carmela has correctly pointed out, however, the more recent generations have been losing that and been mainstreamed. It's sort of sad, IMO.

I think that DeNiro's Sicilian in GF2 was probably as close as we're ever going to hear on the big screen, especially here in the US.

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: carmela] #757431
01/07/14 12:11 PM
01/07/14 12:11 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted By: carmela
Nobody in Sicily drops the vowels at the end of words, and I'm there all the time, around them all the time. Dropping vowels at the end of words is the way Italian-Americans speak when they think they're speaking Sicilian, but actually have no idea what they're saying.

And today, all the new generations are brought up speaking Italian proper.

Thank you for your input. You're a credible source being that you go there a lot apparently. I've been there 5 times. I love it. Italy that is. I've been to Sicily 3 times. What a beautiful country. USA is #1 though.

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #757432
01/07/14 12:14 PM
01/07/14 12:14 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
I read about that online about the Normans invading most of southern Italy. But like I said, personally I haven't seen that much of a difference at all when comparing most southern italian regions. There aren't many regional dialects anymore because everyone is speaking proper italian now like Carm said.

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #757448
01/07/14 01:14 PM
01/07/14 01:14 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
I read about that online about the Normans invading most of southern Italy. But like I said, personally I haven't seen that much of a difference at all when comparing most southern italian regions. There aren't many regional dialects anymore because everyone is speaking proper italian now like Carm said.

There's not such huge differences in the south. From the north to the south, you had big differences in education, where the northerners were better educated and willing to move with the times, and sicilians were/are old souls refusing to change for as long as they can. With sicilians, if it's black and they think it's white, it's white. Save your breath.
The dialects... if you speak sicilian dialect, you'll never understand neapolitan dialect. They're not even close. But calabrian is pretty close to sicilian. The food...south is by the ports so you'll have a lot more fish as a food staple obviously, not so in the north. They cook very differently, a lot of cream based sauces and such in the north; usually you can tell what region one is from just by what they like as far as food goes.

As far as the language, when we're there, it's not like we're touring around, so it's just us and family and more family and more family, so it's pretty much: the beach, conversation, and food. So there's nothing else to do but converse, and listen to how people talk. Don't get me wrong, they are still speaking dialect. Us and all the cousins in the 20's, 30's and 40's, still speak dialect with the older generations and between one another. But all the kids being born now, the parents are sure to speak proper to them, so they hear Italian growing up in the house just as much as sicilian. It also makes a big difference that kids in Sicily are staying in school, where they do learn proper Italian, and carrying on schooling, up into college. When years ago, girls dropped out in 5th grade to stay home and help the mothers, and boys dropped out to help work...nobody was learning much of anything, except what was taught to them by their parents in the home.

I can't speak proper, only dialect, but when I go there now, they tell me I should learn and get away from the dialect. Yeah. That's gonna happen. When we visit there, they say, "you speaky EEEtaly." When they come to the US to visit, they say, "you speaky EEEtaly." Either way, they never have to "speaky american". Hard headed stubborn sicilians...lose/lose. lol

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: carmela] #757455
01/07/14 01:26 PM
01/07/14 01:26 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
My father still owns property in Lauropoli, Cosenza, Calabria. And being that I've spent a great deal of time there, that's how I self-identify when it comes to my ancestry (not my nationality; I'm clearly American). But we've visited my mother's side in Basilicata many times and I've never had a problem understanding the regional dialect. But then again, Basilicata is just north of Calabria, soooo....

Oh, and when we visit Sicily, we get by just fine. Especially in the coastal region on the western ports. The language differences there are minimal when compared to Calabrese. Messina ain't all that far from Reggio wink.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: pizzaboy] #757463
01/07/14 01:37 PM
01/07/14 01:37 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

well whatever one says, there is no question it is one of the most beautiful places on earth, and the food is to die for.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: pizzaboy] #757470
01/07/14 01:45 PM
01/07/14 01:45 PM
Southeastern Massachusetts
JCB1977 Offline
Underboss
JCB1977  Offline
Underboss
Ironically, my family still has a place in Plati, Reggio, Calabria. And my one uncle still has a home in a small village in the Abruzzi region. Been there twice, loved the Amalfi Coast and Northern Italy around San Marino (where my paternal grandma was born and my dad). Never been down to Sicily as it is on my bucket list as well as Sardinia. Dialect is somewhat different and the cuisine varies tremendously in the different regions. Small world.

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: JCB1977] #757473
01/07/14 01:48 PM
01/07/14 01:48 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: JCB1977
Small world.

I keep telling you that lol.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: pizzaboy] #757672
01/08/14 03:46 PM
01/08/14 03:46 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline OP
Revis_Knicks  Offline OP
R
Underboss
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
My father still owns property in Lauropoli, Cosenza, Calabria. And being that I've spent a great deal of time there, that's how I self-identify when it comes to my ancestry (not my nationality; I'm clearly American). But we've visited my mother's side in Basilicata many times and I've never had a problem understanding the regional dialect. But then again, Basilicata is just north of Calabria, soooo....

Oh, and when we visit Sicily, we get by just fine. Especially in the coastal region on the western ports. The language differences there are minimal when compared to Calabrese. Messina ain't all that far from Reggio wink.

I'm mostly sicilian and I have a little bit of I think naepolitan or calabrese in me. I don't remember which one exactly I'll have to ask my father.

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: pizzaboy] #757677
01/08/14 04:27 PM
01/08/14 04:27 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
My father still owns property in Lauropoli, Cosenza, Calabria. And being that I've spent a great deal of time there, that's how I self-identify when it comes to my ancestry (not my nationality; I'm clearly American).

Madonne! PB. You're calabrese? Not only that, but you're in Throggs Neck. What's the third strike?

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: olivant] #757690
01/08/14 06:11 PM
01/08/14 06:11 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: olivant
Madonne! PB. You're calabrese?

No, I'm American. But unlike you, I don't have an identity crisis which leads me to get sentimental about a country that I've never even seen (I'm just assuming that, like most "Italian Americans," you've never even set foot in the country. And even if you did, it was probably on a Perillo Tour).

Furthermore, I've been there a dozen times, and one of those times was for eighteen straight months. But I'm still not delusional enough to think that the Italians over there thought of me as a fellow Italian. I was the American cousin then, and I'm the American cousin now. But keep throwing out the word "Madonne!" every third post you make. Maybe they'll think you're one of their own tongue grin.

Originally Posted By: olivant
What's the third strike?

I have an unusually large penis. But Mrs. Pizzaboy has learned to live with it.

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: Revis_Knicks] #757755
01/09/14 12:13 AM
01/09/14 12:13 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Olivant, Pizzaboy sounds like something disagreeable landed on his abeetz tonight, or is it my imagination??

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #757757
01/09/14 12:52 AM
01/09/14 12:52 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Olivant, Pizzaboy sounds like something disagreeable landed on his abeetz tonight, or is it my imagination??

Marone and doozy bots. But you're right!

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: SC] #757788
01/09/14 11:52 AM
01/09/14 11:52 AM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Marone! Pizzaboy got a bad anchovy or something. Perillo Tour???

Re: Difference between Sicilians and Italians? [Re: dontomasso] #757802
01/09/14 01:05 PM
01/09/14 01:05 PM
JCB1977 Offline
Underboss
JCB1977  Offline
Underboss
Guys,

Pizzaboy is right IMO. I'm a first generation Italian American and I know for a fact that when we have gone over to Calabria (where my family is from) our cousins look at me as the "Americana." My parents were born there and came to America and some of the family did not look favorable on that. Especially in southern Italy, they will laugh at us American cousins and make fun of Italian American cuisine, style of clothes etc. A lot of their beliefs and ideologies are still very antiquated over there. My two cents...from experience.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull