GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 71 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,164
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,387
Posts1,059,816
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Anthony Staino [Re: Jose] #756932
01/03/14 09:08 PM
01/03/14 09:08 PM
Baltimore
HandsomeStevie Offline
Underboss
HandsomeStevie  Offline
Underboss
Baltimore
its kind of funny how joey played him.. natale was walking around all high n mighty like " im the boss " haha. he was never the boss at all joey just used natale to take the heat!

Death Before Dishonor
Re: Anthony Staino [Re: Jose] #756934
01/03/14 10:08 PM
01/03/14 10:08 PM
22 Offline
Underboss
22  Offline
Underboss
One of the things with Long John was you know how you hear the term ''had money on the streets''.He suppostley if I remember had a lot of money he left on the streets when he went away and felt entitled to get involved again.I think he was going to make a power play move with John Berkery from the K and A gang in the Northeast to take over Ligambi's throne,but Ligambi acted first.

Re: Anthony Staino [Re: Jose] #756936
01/03/14 10:20 PM
01/03/14 10:20 PM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
^^^ you sure about that 22? I know Long John and Berkery were big in the meth trade together back in 80s, but i thought by the time Martorano was outta jail and causing problems Berkery was long off the streets?

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: Anthony Staino [Re: HandsomeStevie] #756942
01/04/14 12:06 AM
01/04/14 12:06 AM
Merica
NickyWhip Offline
Capo
NickyWhip  Offline
Capo
Merica
You guys all seem pretty knowledgeable about Philly. I just read Leonetti's book again, for the 2nd time.

What do you think about Joey Merlino, in terms of his credibility with LCN? He appears to care less about LCN rules and more about his friends in South Philly. And alot of them are sons/brothers/nephews of old school guys. So, it's easy to understand how he and the chang's and a few others would stake a claim. It was their family members who made the rackets in the Philly area what they were; not NYC people. So, why should they have input on who controls them? The only reason would be respect of tradition, and the former relationships of previous bosses.

But, Leonetti makes a point of saying a few times that NYC commission picks Philly's boss. And, Stanfa was put there by Gambinos. I think he was the last commission-chosen boss in Philly?

I have read on here that Ligambi was having meetings with other families to iron out territorial issues, meet and greets, etc. And I have also read that the NYC families were under a ton of heat for their own shit when Stanfa was warring with Merlino.

But, NYC gave Stanfa ZERO support. And, Scarfo still had friends on the street and was gathering powerful friends (Amuso) in jail such that NYC knew what was going on in Philly and had to be interested in the outcome. And to say that they would let the war play out and pick up the pieces is 1 answer, but it's a weak answer. You know Scarfo wanted Joey Merlino dead, especially after his son was shot. And he had the connections to get it done.

Finally, to my point/question (make a long story longer lol), is it possible that NYC were interested in Merlino as boss? If NYC appointed Stanfa, all of the guys he made would/should have been investigated by the NYC families BEFORE they got their button. Did Stanfa get commission approval of guys he was going to make? If so, they had Joey Merlino on their radar. And it's very likely that everyone in NYC knew Scarfo and Chuckie and Yogi were haveing problems because Scarfo took them both down.

Leonetti's book and Blood and Honor book make it pretty clear that at the end of the reign, Scarfo wanted to kill Chuckie, Yogi, and Joey Merlino. Then, all of sudden Stanfa inducts him? Sure, it could have been a slap in the face, but Stanfa just went on and on and on about tradition and the right ways in LCN. And then he gives buttons to guys who may/may not have put in work, or worse yet, may not even spent any time as an associate.

Who was Merlino's captain? Who was his sponsor to get him in? Leonetti nor any other book mentions when that Joey was an associate but he is mentioned in Leonetti's book and I think in Blood and Honor. How exactly did he come into so much power in Philly? And did NYC encourage it? It just seems to contradict so much of what was going on in Philly LCN at the time; it is truly mind boggling.

The time but I am speaking of is around 1989-1994; Merlino's rise. NYC took Scarfo down, and put up Stanfa. So, they must have had knowledge of who Stanfa was around. Or, by this time was it just so bad in Philly in terms of structure?

Is the PHiladelphia mob is considered LCN, if it doesn't report to NYC, like it did since it's existence?? Or, is too much credit given to NYC in terms of their hold on Philly? Is there too much placed on the credibility of Philly being true LCN measured by relationships in NYC?

It seems that currently, there is really not much of a relationship between any of the families in NYC and Philly, compared to the past.

thanks.

Originally Posted By: HandsomeStevie
its kind of funny how joey played him.. natale was walking around all high n mighty like " im the boss " haha. he was never the boss at all joey just used natale to take the heat!

Boss of tha toilet!
Re: Anthony Staino [Re: Jose] #756943
01/04/14 12:11 AM
01/04/14 12:11 AM
W
Wilson101 Offline
Underboss
Wilson101  Offline
W
Underboss
Mafia prince was a great read but probably not 100% factual, lol

Re: Anthony Staino [Re: Jose] #756998
01/04/14 12:17 PM
01/04/14 12:17 PM
Southeastern Massachusetts
JCB1977 Offline
Underboss
JCB1977  Offline
Underboss
I truly don't believe that NYC controls any other family anymore. They have their own problems, especially the Bonanno's and the Colombo's. I still think families like Philly have contacts in NYC and that there are a certain amount of territories that have been divided, especially in South Jersey/North Jersey, but I don't think that NY chooses bosses any longer. Those were the days of old when guys like Castellano, Salerno, Corallo etc had national influence. Plus, today, the South Philly Mob isn't what it was in its heyday. They certainly have a viable family, but I am 100% certain that their main sources of income have been drastically reduced. In regards to labor racketeering, bid rigging, sweetheart contracts etc are a shadow of what they once were. Video poker and illegal gambling seem to be the main focus of most families outside of NY.

And if you believe half of what Phil Leonetti said in his book, then you are overreaching. Phil Leonetti is and was a lying, scheming, lowlife thug.

Re: Anthony Staino [Re: Jose] #757000
01/04/14 12:22 PM
01/04/14 12:22 PM
Hamilton
Scalish Offline
Underboss
Scalish  Offline
Underboss
Hamilton
Lol JCB1977 you call it as you see it. No love for Leonetti, who do you dislike more him or your buddy Borgesi lol.

Re: Anthony Staino [Re: Jose] #757001
01/04/14 12:23 PM
01/04/14 12:23 PM
LuanKuci Offline
Underboss
LuanKuci  Offline
Underboss
during the current trial coverage someone have said something about the Gambinos deciding who's gonna lead Philly

Re: Anthony Staino [Re: Scalish] #757008
01/04/14 01:13 PM
01/04/14 01:13 PM
JCB1977 Offline
Underboss
JCB1977  Offline
Underboss
Hey Scalish,

Leonetti came into Pittsburgh in the 1990 trial of Chucky Porter and Louis Raucci to testify about a meeting he had with the top brass of Pittsburgh along with Nicky Scarfo in regards to the extortion of Scarfo's brother in law Joe Nistico, a Clairton, PA resident for years and small time bookmaker in the Pittsburgh area. Leonetti also testified about a few other Pittsburgh OC figures, one of them being my late uncle. He also gave up a few guys from my hometown of Youngstown regarding a waste hauling scheme they had with Billy D'Elia in Scranton.

I truly enjoyed Mafia Prince, it was a good, fast read but Leonetti has a tendency to exaggerate his power. Yes, he was Underboss in Philly but if you expect me to believe that the top brass in NY truly accepted him and respected him and didn't think that Scarfo was a maniac making his 28 year old nephew Underboss to a major crime family, then I have some snow to sell you.

And for the record, I hate Freckles Borgesi more than Leonetti...He's a half pint tough guy...needs to get his salad tossed in prison if he hasn't already!

Re: Anthony Staino [Re: LuanKuci] #757010
01/04/14 01:15 PM
01/04/14 01:15 PM
JCB1977 Offline
Underboss
JCB1977  Offline
Underboss
Don't buy it. If the new boss is from the old guard, then the Gambino Family input may have played a role...but I truly believe that NY is worried about NY. It's a different mafia, different times...

Re: Anthony Staino [Re: Jose] #757028
01/04/14 03:09 PM
01/04/14 03:09 PM
22 Offline
Underboss
22  Offline
Underboss
Vegas Mikey I'm pretty sure,i will check to be certain,Man I'm almost positive that when Long John got out he had the backing of the Irish Gang from Kensington,but I'm big on if I make a mistake I will correct it.

Re: Anthony Staino [Re: Jose] #757029
01/04/14 03:20 PM
01/04/14 03:20 PM
22 Offline
Underboss
22  Offline
Underboss
Let me start over I meant to say Dellacroce in my last post not Vegas Mikey.Anyway,I was partially right,Martarano claims he left 200 Grand on the streets and while he was away he said all the previous bosses [Scarfo,Natale,Merlino,Stanfa] used the money to back gambling business's.So he figures he would get it back on his own and he recruited shooters from the Northeast's Irish Mob for an upcoming war,but Ligambi struck first.it's in a city paper article.my bad with the Berkery thing.

Re: Anthony Staino [Re: Jose] #757033
01/04/14 04:46 PM
01/04/14 04:46 PM
Merica
NickyWhip Offline
Capo
NickyWhip  Offline
Capo
Merica
Point taken guys. Yeah, Leonetti's book does have it's moments where I wondered if he was reaching for the stars a bit. But, in all of the Philly books, incluidin leonettis, goodfella tapes, the last gangster, and Nicky Crow's (blood and honor), nowhere does it say how exactly Joey Merlino got his start and ended up being king of the philly LCN. He went from being a "punk" who did nothing for the mob but cause headaches, according to Nicky Crow and Leonetti in 1987-88 to being the Boss in 1992/94. How does that happen?

Boss of tha toilet!
Re: Anthony Staino [Re: Jose] #757034
01/04/14 04:58 PM
01/04/14 04:58 PM
J
Jose Offline OP
Capo
Jose  Offline OP
J
Capo
Joey had a loyal big crew growing up and had the lineage and maybe had a couple of passes bc of who his dad was. Also when Stanfa came in as boss I don't think he got too much respect from the street south philly guys - they threw their allegiance behind Joey which started the trouble. Stevie Georgie Lance Chang and their entire crews

Re: Anthony Staino [Re: Jose] #757044
01/04/14 07:08 PM
01/04/14 07:08 PM
Merica
NickyWhip Offline
Capo
NickyWhip  Offline
Capo
Merica
makes sense. His dad was the most powerful in South philly for quite some time. And all those kids probably loved Chuckie; boozing and stories. As opposed to psychopathic Nicky whom probably was completely paranoid, narcissitic and unapproachable. Then, Little nicky takes down the Merlinos and does his thing killing everyone and he loses even more creditbility. There must have been so much fear on the streets and in that organization because of Scarfo.

Then, when they all go away, including the capos, everyone looks to the most charismatic. thanks.

Boss of tha toilet!
Re: Anthony Staino [Re: 22] #757045
01/04/14 07:22 PM
01/04/14 07:22 PM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: 22
Let me start over I meant to say Dellacroce in my last post not Vegas Mikey.Anyway,I was partially right,Martarano claims he left 200 Grand on the streets and while he was away he said all the previous bosses [Scarfo,Natale,Merlino,Stanfa] used the money to back gambling business's.So he figures he would get it back on his own and he recruited shooters from the Northeast's Irish Mob for an upcoming war,but Ligambi struck first.it's in a city paper article.my bad with the Berkery thing.

ya thanks for clearing that up 22, good info man.

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: Anthony Staino [Re: NickyWhip] #795545
08/12/14 04:32 PM
08/12/14 04:32 PM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: NickyWhip
You guys all seem pretty knowledgeable about Philly. I just read Leonetti's book again, for the 2nd time.

What do you think about Joey Merlino, in terms of his credibility with LCN? He appears to care less about LCN rules and more about his friends in South Philly. And alot of them are sons/brothers/nephews of old school guys. So, it's easy to understand how he and the chang's and a few others would stake a claim. It was their family members who made the rackets in the Philly area what they were; not NYC people. So, why should they have input on who controls them? The only reason would be respect of tradition, and the former relationships of previous bosses.

But, Leonetti makes a point of saying a few times that NYC commission picks Philly's boss. And, Stanfa was put there by Gambinos. I think he was the last commission-chosen boss in Philly?

I have read on here that Ligambi was having meetings with other families to iron out territorial issues, meet and greets, etc. And I have also read that the NYC families were under a ton of heat for their own shit when Stanfa was warring with Merlino.

But, NYC gave Stanfa ZERO support. And, Scarfo still had friends on the street and was gathering powerful friends (Amuso) in jail such that NYC knew what was going on in Philly and had to be interested in the outcome. And to say that they would let the war play out and pick up the pieces is 1 answer, but it's a weak answer. You know Scarfo wanted Joey Merlino dead, especially after his son was shot. And he had the connections to get it done.

Finally, to my point/question (make a long story longer lol), is it possible that NYC were interested in Merlino as boss? If NYC appointed Stanfa, all of the guys he made would/should have been investigated by the NYC families BEFORE they got their button. Did Stanfa get commission approval of guys he was going to make? If so, they had Joey Merlino on their radar. And it's very likely that everyone in NYC knew Scarfo and Chuckie and Yogi were haveing problems because Scarfo took them both down.

Leonetti's book and Blood and Honor book make it pretty clear that at the end of the reign, Scarfo wanted to kill Chuckie, Yogi, and Joey Merlino. Then, all of sudden Stanfa inducts him? Sure, it could have been a slap in the face, but Stanfa just went on and on and on about tradition and the right ways in LCN. And then he gives buttons to guys who may/may not have put in work, or worse yet, may not even spent any time as an associate.

Who was Merlino's captain? Who was his sponsor to get him in? Leonetti nor any other book mentions when that Joey was an associate but he is mentioned in Leonetti's book and I think in Blood and Honor. How exactly did he come into so much power in Philly? And did NYC encourage it? It just seems to contradict so much of what was going on in Philly LCN at the time; it is truly mind boggling.

The time but I am speaking of is around 1989-1994; Merlino's rise. NYC took Scarfo down, and put up Stanfa. So, they must have had knowledge of who Stanfa was around. Or, by this time was it just so bad in Philly in terms of structure?

Is the PHiladelphia mob is considered LCN, if it doesn't report to NYC, like it did since it's existence?? Or, is too much credit given to NYC in terms of their hold on Philly? Is there too much placed on the credibility of Philly being true LCN measured by relationships in NYC?

It seems that currently, there is really not much of a relationship between any of the families in NYC and Philly, compared to the past.

thanks.

Originally Posted By: HandsomeStevie

Nicky, I thought everyone knew what was going on at this time.You have it right as far as i have herd or know.
N.Y. was trying, but at this time they were going through a real bad time.The Feds were hammering them.High ranking members were flipping ,Indictments were everywhere.I am not sure but even some bosses were on the lamb or flipping.
The five family's seamed to do what they could,but the structure was gone.
I think they just gave up...

This got so bad that you had guys walking around saying that they were made,and did not fear the reprisals(how bad is that) got to be an all time low for the Mob.

This Ron Previte was walking in book joints with a picture of him and Stanfa,and telling guys that if they do not come in and pay up for the last few years he would kill them (or pay him 10,000.00 each)...
Most guys at these places had someone they kicking to ,but they were so messed up that they(Philly) did not know.Some were paying some heavy guys.So they had no problem.

There were a couple that ran scared and payed him the 10,000.00 that he asked for.
But that how bad it was a PICTURE of Previte and Stanfa and him telling people he is made....

Cackling like a banty Rooster.

I love this," "I just love this."
Re: Anthony Staino [Re: Jose] #795555
08/12/14 05:04 PM
08/12/14 05:04 PM
ItalianForever Offline
Capo
ItalianForever  Offline
Capo
Very interesting Serpiente. Previte is a huge question mark. People still debate his bona fides.

I think he wasn't really a made guy but was a guy Stanfa had "around"him for his size and earning capabilities. If you read "The Last Gangster" by George Anastasia, GA subtly implies the legitimacy of Previte's making "ceremony" was questionable.

He was a guy who brought big envelopes to guys like Stanfa, Natale and Merlino. I think they saw him as a mark. Unfortunately for Stanfa, Natale and Merlino, Previte played them worse then they played him.

But made? I don't think so. Capo? Hell no.

Last edited by ItalianForever; 08/12/14 05:05 PM.
Re: Anthony Staino [Re: ItalianForever] #795812
08/13/14 03:13 PM
08/13/14 03:13 PM
Serpiente Offline
Underboss
Serpiente  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: ItalianForever
Very interesting Serpiente. Previte is a huge question mark. People still debate his bona fides.

I think he wasn't really a made guy but was a guy Stanfa had "around"him for his size and earning capabilities. If you read "The Last Gangster" by George Anastasia, GA subtly implies the legitimacy of Previte's making "ceremony" was questionable.

He was a guy who brought big envelopes to guys like Stanfa, Natale and Merlino. I think they saw him as a mark. Unfortunately for Stanfa, Natale and Merlino, Previte played them worse then they played him.

But made? I don't think so. Capo? Hell no.

Tell you what, the guy was and is disgusting ,but got to give it to him ,some of these guys obviously paid him.

Also i do not know if they did not put anyone with him ,but he was always traveling alone.He would not of lasted long doing that .This guy was pushing some buttons.

And i think you and many Philly guys,and Philly posters do not think he had his button..

Cackling like a banty Rooster.

I love this," "I just love this."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull