GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (3 invisible), 258 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,467
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,884
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,324
Posts1,058,634
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: dontomasso] #745185
10/21/13 02:15 PM
10/21/13 02:15 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
What about age limits then? Most Americans retire at age 65/67 average right? For example wasn't Strom Thurmond still in office when he was in his 90's? That's crazy IMO.

Set a age limit. I mean they get a great pension for life anyways. Something has to be done cause the bunch who is in now ain't worth a hill of beans.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: Mignon] #745192
10/21/13 02:49 PM
10/21/13 02:49 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline OP
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Originally Posted By: Mignon
What about age limits then? Most Americans retire at age 65/67 average right? For example wasn't Strom Thurmond still in office when he was in his 90's? That's crazy IMO.

Set a age limit. I mean they get a great pension for life anyways. Something has to be done cause the bunch who is in now ain't worth a hill of beans.

Yeah, an age limit might work, certainly Thurmond stayed on too long, but guys like John McCain and Bernie Sanders (trying to be bi-partisan) aren't exactly spring chickens, but they bring a lot of institutional knowledge to the table and they still seem to have it together.

One of the real problems is the breakdown of the way it used to work in Congress. Freshman were supposed to keep their mouths shut, and maintain low profiles. there ahve always been exceptions including JFK, Obama and now Cruz who clearly never had any interest in being long term Senators, but were using their seats as platforms to run for president, but even Hillary kept quiet for two years in the Senate, made friends in both parties and then got a plum committee job.

The other thing that is missing is that it used to be that members and their families would spend most of their time in D.C., and not running to their districts all the time to raise money. This caused members to forge friendships with people with different points of view. Nowadays it is two armed camps, which is nuts.

I like the Reagan - Tip O'Neill rule that after six in the evening they would never discuss politics.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: dontomasso] #745213
10/21/13 04:22 PM
10/21/13 04:22 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Wow DT, we agreed on a political matter. smile

Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: dontomasso] #745215
10/21/13 04:34 PM
10/21/13 04:34 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Tip O' Neill and Reagan were a good combo. They did not always see eye to eye but they got shit done in the name of the people they served. I believe if both men were alive today they would be ashamed of their respective parties

"Don't ever go against the family again. Ever"- Michael Corleone
Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: dontomasso] #745228
10/21/13 05:28 PM
10/21/13 05:28 PM
South of the Pinelands
MaryCas Offline
MaryCas  Offline

South of the Pinelands
I'm reading "Killing Jesus" by Bill O'Reilly. As I read the events leading up to Jesus' "conviction", I couldn't help but think the Republicans were acting like a bunch of Pharisees. (Disclaimer: I didn't think of Obama as Jesus).

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, whoever humbles himself will be exalted - Matthew 23:12
Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: afsaneh77] #745300
10/22/13 09:11 AM
10/22/13 09:11 AM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
As for the term limits, if you know you are going to be elected twice at most, what keeps you loyal to your party?

Their loyalty shouldn't be to the party, it should be to the American people. They should do what is best for all.

Let's just assume that we never put in term limits for the President - who do you think would have been elected to a third term? Eisenhower likely defeats Kennedy and JFK waits until 1964 or even 1968? Do you think Reagan could have been the first to win all the states against Dukakis? Clinton against Bush (W) in 2000? Obama in 2016?

"After all, we are not communists"

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: dontomasso] #745335
10/22/13 12:55 PM
10/22/13 12:55 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Putting aside the question of whether congressional and senatorial term limits are a good idea, it can only happen through a constitutional amendment. It is unconstitutional for a state to impose any term limits on federally elected officials.

An amendment would require 2/3 of both houses to approve the amendment, which isn't going to happen, or a constitutional convention called by 2/3 of the state legislatures. And none of the Amendments to the constitution resulted from the latter.

But for those, who want term limits, the best answer is we already have them. The members of congress and senators are subject to election and reelection. If there is a problem with bad people in office getting reelected constantly, there is then a bigger problem with the people, who keep installing them in office.

Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: Don Marco] #745340
10/22/13 01:05 PM
10/22/13 01:05 PM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Originally Posted By: Don Marco
As for the term limits, if you know you are going to be elected twice at most, what keeps you loyal to your party?

Their loyalty shouldn't be to the party, it should be to the American people. They should do what is best for all.

Let's just assume that we never put in term limits for the President - who do you think would have been elected to a third term? Eisenhower likely defeats Kennedy and JFK waits until 1964 or even 1968? Do you think Reagan could have been the first to win all the states against Dukakis? Clinton against Bush (W) in 2000? Obama in 2016?

The problem is if members of congress decide to vote as they please, again parties mean nothing. But as I said, they mean something, at least to me. I don't like unpredictability in politics. I like to vote for a certain platform and know that the party I vote for would be loyal to those values. Those values are what I think is for the good of the people.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: klydon1] #745347
10/22/13 01:50 PM
10/22/13 01:50 PM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: klydon1
Putting aside the question of whether congressional and senatorial term limits are a good idea, it can only happen through a constitutional amendment. It is unconstitutional for a state to impose any term limits on federally elected officials.

An amendment would require 2/3 of both houses to approve the amendment, which isn't going to happen, or a constitutional convention called by 2/3 of the state legislatures. And none of the Amendments to the constitution resulted from the latter.

But for those, who want term limits, the best answer is we already have them. The members of congress and senators are subject to election and reelection. If there is a problem with bad people in office getting reelected constantly, there is then a bigger problem with the people, who keep installing them in office.

If that is the case - why is there a need for term limits for the President? I think we should either have them for all, or not at all.

Christopher Moltisanti: You ever think what a coincidence it is that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's disease?

Tony Soprano: Yeah well, when you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: Don Marco] #745351
10/22/13 02:09 PM
10/22/13 02:09 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania

If that is the case - why is there a need for term limits for the President? I think we should either have them for all, or not at all.

The XXII amendment limits the terms of the president. The difference is that the presidency is an executive office with considerable power vested in one person.

A senator or congressperson works in the legislative branch. Singularly his or her power is comparatively minor; its strength rests entirely in its body composing many people. As such, there is more of a need for term limits for the chief executive.

James Madison spoke out against term limits for congress in the Federalist Papers. Again, the people have the power of term limits in the ballots they cast.

Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: klydon1] #745382
10/22/13 04:22 PM
10/22/13 04:22 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Of course the wonderful people that we elected would not vote themselves out of a job. They want to keep the millions they make meanwhile screwing you out of your job with the wonderful decisions they make.

Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: afsaneh77] #745398
10/22/13 05:35 PM
10/22/13 05:35 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA

The problem is if members of congress decide to vote as they please, again parties mean nothing. But as I said, they mean something, at least to me. I don't like unpredictability in politics. I like to vote for a certain platform and know that the party I vote for would be loyal to those values. Those values are what I think is for the good of the people.

But there in itself lies the problem. If you think one particular branch of ideology is right then you get what we have today. The answer (except in extreme circumstances) usually lies somewhere in between the right and left. Something most people don't seem to understand

Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: Mignon] #745417
10/22/13 07:21 PM
10/22/13 07:21 PM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Mignon

This is something i agree with. Senators amass so much power as they build up time in Senate, they have too much of an edge over newer Senators, and become almost impossible to defeat in an election. They also become out of touch. If any political body needs term limits, it's them. A 75 year-old man in same seat for over 20 years cannot have any idea of life on outside. They are in own thier world, and become a closed club.

Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: klydon1] #745420
10/22/13 08:18 PM
10/22/13 08:18 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

Again, the people have the power of term limits in the ballots they cast.

I agree Kly. It takes effort to learn about candidates and to vote. Some Americans don't want to make the effort. In addition, there is a paucity of knowledge among so many Americans about national issues. Those with so littel knowledge insist on looking at those issues in elementary terms. They neglect to consider the effects of our pluralistic society.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: olivant] #745421
10/22/13 08:28 PM
10/22/13 08:28 PM
NJ
Don Marco Offline
Underboss
Don Marco  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: olivant

I agree Kly. It takes effort to learn about candidates and to vote. Some Americans don't want to make the effort. In addition, there is a paucity of knowledge among so many Americans about national issues. Those with so littel knowledge insist on looking at those issues in elementary terms. They neglect to consider the effects of our pluralistic society.

I might if you eliminate the gerrymandering that takes place to ensure that incumbents are re-elected.

Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: dontomasso] #745428
10/22/13 09:51 PM
10/22/13 09:51 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Some excellent points being made here

Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #745442
10/23/13 02:04 AM
10/23/13 02:04 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo

But there in itself lies the problem. If you think one particular branch of ideology is right then you get what we have today. The answer (except in extreme circumstances) usually lies somewhere in between the right and left. Something most people don't seem to understand

And that's why we review our positions every couple of years. We get to vote again and change our position. I never said a certain branch of ideology can be right all the time. But you certainly can identify with one, in a certain period of time, in a certain political environment. The important thing to me is that when I vote for a party, I get exactly what their platform claim should that party win the election.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: Don Marco] #745465
10/23/13 11:08 AM
10/23/13 11:08 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: olivant

I might if you eliminate the gerrymandering that takes place to ensure that incumbents are re-elected.
Gerrymandering was rampant after the 2010 elections that brought Republican majorities to the state houses, which coincided with the national census that compelled redistricting. Pennsylvania, like other states was carved up into congressional districts that defied fairness and geographic sense. The intent was actually to eliminate Democratic incumbents by marginalizing their districts.

They then pushed to overhaul our presidential electoral process by allocating electoral votes by individual district, claiming this was more fair. They knew they were very unlikely of beating Obama in 2012, and had their ruse succeeded, this past election, which Obama won by a comfortable margin in 2012, would have produced the ludicrous result of 14 votes for Romney and 6 votes for Obama. Of course, the voter ID law was rushed through to further reduce the voting impact of the poor, elderly and urban minorities, all of whom typically vote Democratic.

Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: klydon1] #745546
10/23/13 10:03 PM
10/23/13 10:03 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
LOL!!!

Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: jace] #745796
10/25/13 11:43 PM
10/25/13 11:43 PM
B
BhurstCiccio Offline
Wiseguy
BhurstCiccio  Offline
B
Wiseguy
When did the republicans compromise? The entire time they kept insisting on the president agreeing to defund, delay or repeal the ACA. And why us being truthful not acting civil? The teabaggers are the lunatic fringe and are out of touch. They are also a threat to our republic and way of life. They didn't have the votes to overturn the ACA or to pass new legislation to do it so instead, they hold the entire country hostage, shut the gov't down and cost us $24 billion. Tell me why they're not extremists please.

Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #745797
10/25/13 11:46 PM
10/25/13 11:46 PM
B
BhurstCiccio Offline
Wiseguy
BhurstCiccio  Offline
B
Wiseguy
how do rubio and ryan distance themselves from themselves?

Re: THE G.O.P. has blinked [Re: dontomasso] #772599
04/11/14 06:17 AM
04/11/14 06:17 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."