GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Brovelli), 146 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,458
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,873
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,321
Posts1,058,529
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #730598
07/29/13 03:41 AM
07/29/13 03:41 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy
I think that the mafia will not return certainly at the golden age in which had a monopoly on the concrete and garbage disposal and controlled las vegas, but given the situation in Italy, it is more likely that the American Mafia restore the old bridge with Italy recruiting new zips, not only from Sicily, but also from campania and the other regions of the south.Strax maybe is right in view of what is going on in detroi twho knows if the Detroit Partnership will have some advantages.

Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: furio_from_naples] #730623
07/29/13 10:23 AM
07/29/13 10:23 AM
Illinois
C
Chicago Offline
Underboss
Chicago  Offline
C
Underboss
Illinois
Hello Furio, You're right. America needs more Zips. There were a lot of good men here in America from Naples and a couple other Cities in Southern Italy.
My Grand Parents came from Potenza. Both sides.
Ciao for now.

Last edited by Chicago; 07/29/13 10:24 AM.
Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #730633
07/29/13 11:23 AM
07/29/13 11:23 AM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Ivy attrition won't take it's toll in this situation NYC still has a very large recruitment base. There will always be guys willing to step up. However that being said I do think they're going to dwindle into a lesser organization. But that's going to take a long time

"Don't ever go against the family again. Ever"- Michael Corleone
Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #730637
07/29/13 11:51 AM
07/29/13 11:51 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo
Ivy attrition won't take it's toll in this situation NYC still has a very large recruitment base.

The Italian Americans who are in their 20's and 30's today are almost all 3rd and 4th generation. There are plenty of them, but most of them want better things in life. There are more Italian American college graduates in this country than any of the other other Western European immigrant groups (except the for Wasps, and they really don't count as immigrants). So why should they choose crime? Unless that's all you think Italians are good for?

The recruitment base is dwindling, Joe, and attrition IS taking its toll on the mob in NYC, whether you want to believe it or not. I'm not one of these guys who gets on his geographical high horse and mocks out of towners, but living in Cape Cod all your life you have no idea what these neighborhoods looked like 30 years ago compared to today.

The mob will always be around because crime will always be around. But it will never be what it used to be.

Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
What I think is that they have established a status quo. The feds know that they can never completely annihilate organized crime. If they destroy the New York Mafia other groups will simply fill the vaccuum. Better to have an established organization that they know to be in charge to some degree and maintain order within the underworld than lesser known foreign groups.

That big bust in early 2011 was just for the show in order to justify to the public why they would reduce the number of FBI squads dedicated to fight the Five Families. And the Mafia probably realises not to become too opportunistic and exploit the situation, because it can change back to what it was within a heart beat.

That's exactly right, Sonny. The wiseguys know that things aren't so bad right now, but if they test the feds with murders and an aggressive rebuilding they'll be grabbing a tiger by the tail. So why rock the boat?

And besides, just because the feds put out stories in the media stating that they're easing up on the mob doesn't mean anything. They could be giving them a false sense of security. I don't trust the government as far as I can throw them. Also, they don't need nearly as many agents today because of the advances in electronic surveillance. If a guy as brash as Gotti became boss today they'd put him away even faster.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: pizzaboy] #730638
07/29/13 11:53 AM
07/29/13 11:53 AM
Illinois
C
Chicago Offline
Underboss
Chicago  Offline
C
Underboss
Illinois
Pizza Boy, You are a very realistic and sharp guy. I commend you.

Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #730679
07/29/13 03:13 PM
07/29/13 03:13 PM
Illinois
F_white Offline
Underboss
F_white  Offline
Underboss
Illinois
The mob can regain its power back if they can get back political influence and more people who believe in the code of Omertà.

Last edited by F_white; 07/29/13 03:15 PM.

From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn.

Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: IvyLeague] #730683
07/29/13 03:37 PM
07/29/13 03:37 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
In short, it seems like the "status quo" the feds have settled with, at least for now, is to simply use the minimal (some would argue too minimal) manpower needed to keep the mob in check. Keep the indictments coming, keep the mob from regaining a lot of influence, while waiting for attrition to take it's toll.

That's what I meant with status quo. But if attrition takes its toll, then what? I don't see what the feds gain with the complete destruction of the Five Families. They will simply have to battle other groups with the same amount of manpower. The status quo they have reached is probably the best they can achieve.

Better to have some form of controlled organized crime than a fragmented, disorganized criminal underworld.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: pizzaboy] #730684
07/29/13 03:41 PM
07/29/13 03:41 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Ivy attrition won't take it's toll in this situation NYC still has a very large recruitment base.

The Italian Americans who are in their 20's and 30's today are almost all 3rd and 4th generation.

I would say 5th generation. The majority of Italians settled in the United States between 1890 and 1920. The generation of John Gotti was already third generation.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: Sonny_Black] #730687
07/29/13 03:58 PM
07/29/13 03:58 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

The Italian Americans who are in their 20's and 30's today are almost all 3rd and 4th generation.

I would say 5th generation. The majority of Italians settled in the United States between 1890 and 1920. The generation of John Gotti was already third generation.

No doubt, Sonny. I was being kinda liberal with that statement. I mean, I'm 54 years old and I'm the second generation in my family born in America. All four of my grandparents were born in Italy. That makes my kids third generation and my grandkids fourth generation. And my family got here at the end of that time frame (right around 1920).

Like you said, the overwhelming majority of Italian American families came here between 1880 and 1920. That's a fact. So if your family was on the early side of that time frame, your kids are 5th and even 6th generation today. In other words, they're American, they've assimilated, hopefully they're educated, and they're less likely to see any upside in the mob life. And more importantly, they don't NEED the mob life. That's the main difference. Fifty or sixty years ago there were some guys who had few other options. Today that isn't the case.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: Chicago] #730688
07/29/13 04:00 PM
07/29/13 04:00 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Chicago
Pizza Boy, You are a very realistic and sharp guy. I commend you.

Thanks, buddy. But I ain't so sharp. I'm just a lot older than most of the other board members here ohwell.

Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: F_white] #730690
07/29/13 04:10 PM
07/29/13 04:10 PM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: F_white
The mob can regain its power back if they can get back political influence and more people who believe in the code of Omertà.

you seem clueless

When Interpol?
Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #730691
07/29/13 04:31 PM
07/29/13 04:31 PM
H
HuronSocialAthletic Offline
Underboss
HuronSocialAthletic  Offline
H
Underboss
Short answer: no.

Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: cheech] #730692
07/29/13 04:39 PM
07/29/13 04:39 PM
Illinois
F_white Offline
Underboss
F_white  Offline
Underboss
Illinois
Originally Posted By: cheech

you seem clueless

THIS IS WHY ITS CALL MY OPINION!

Last edited by F_white; 07/29/13 04:40 PM.

From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn.

Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #730693
07/29/13 04:44 PM
07/29/13 04:44 PM
N
ninogaggi Offline
Wiseguy
ninogaggi  Offline
N
Wiseguy
I talked to an FBI agent while down the shore last year (friend of the family) and he said although the mafia will never be what they once were, they are def on the rise because law enforcement is so focused on terrorism.

Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: furio_from_naples] #730694
07/29/13 04:52 PM
07/29/13 04:52 PM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: furio_from_naples
Strax maybe is right in view of what is going on in detroi twho knows if the Detroit Partnership will have some advantages.

The only people getting any benefit or advantages off of whats happening in detroit are the drug kingpins.

Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: ninogaggi] #730696
07/29/13 04:55 PM
07/29/13 04:55 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: ninogaggi
I talked to an FBI agent while down the shore last year (friend of the family) and he said although the mafia will never be what they once were, they are def on the rise because law enforcement is so focused on terrorism.

That's a fair assessment. But I still say the feds will only let them "rise" so high. Eliminating murder is the key. If they start killing each other like they did back in the day, the feds will turn up the heat in a heartbeat. But that's a double-edged sword. If they stop killing people, pretty soon they're not as feared as they once were, and the whole thing starts to break down.

The older guys that are successful and still on the street are happy with the way things are. The younger guys are probably pissed off because they feel they were born too late and they have no money. It's when these younger dopes start to think they can behave like their bosses did thirty years ago that they'll have a problem. And that thinking is inevitable.

Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #730700
07/29/13 05:09 PM
07/29/13 05:09 PM
baldo Offline
Capo
baldo  Offline
Capo
Pizza, will these young guys one day inherit the older guys' rackets or will it die off with the old timers?

Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: baldo] #730701
07/29/13 05:18 PM
07/29/13 05:18 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: baldo
Pizza, will these young guys one day inherit the older guys' rackets or will it die off with the old timers?

Well, in my opinion, the big money "legitimate" things like contracting and construction will go to the younger guys who are related by blood. If you look at the Lucchese and Westside construction guys, they're all putting their sons in those businesses, whether they're in the life or not.

What I'm trying to say is that no up and coming young kid right now is going to make himself millions in the construction racket all by himself. That door is closed. But the kids who are being put in those businesses by their fathers and uncles will hold onto them (for the near future at least).

As far as the bookmaking and shylocking, it will always be around because people want to gamble and people want to borrow money. That's the bread and butter for the blue collar guys in the families. But there's just so much competition and so many rats today that collecting isn't even worth the aggravation half the time.

The rich guys will get richer, the poor guys will have a harder time making a living than ever. Just like in the legitimate world wink.

Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: F_white] #730704
07/29/13 05:32 PM
07/29/13 05:32 PM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss

you seem clueless

And my opinion sir is that you must be 15 or have no real knowledge of the street racket.

When Interpol?
Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: pizzaboy] #730705
07/29/13 05:43 PM
07/29/13 05:43 PM
Illinois
C
Chicago Offline
Underboss
Chicago  Offline
C
Underboss
Illinois
PIZZABOY, 100% right on target my friend.
Exactly what has happened in Chicago. That's why Elmwood Park retreated several years ago.
The younger guys/relatives are in legitimate business with some white collar attached to it. Really no different than other shrewd businessmen.

A couple of the unrealistic naïve Fanboys, who don't know anything about the streets, want to argue differently because someone in their local neighborhood bar told them differently. LOL.

Last edited by Chicago; 07/29/13 05:49 PM.
Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: pizzaboy] #730706
07/29/13 05:45 PM
07/29/13 05:45 PM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: ninogaggi

That's a fair assessment. But I still say the feds will only let them "rise" so high. Eliminating murder is the key. If they start killing each other like they did back in the day, the feds will turn up the heat in a heartbeat. But that's a double-edged sword. If they stop killing people, pretty soon they're not as feared as they once were, and the whole thing starts to break down.

The older guys that are successful and still on the street are happy with the way things are. The younger guys are probably pissed off because they feel they were born too late and they have no money. It's when these younger dopes start to think they can behave like their bosses did thirty years ago that they'll have a problem. And that thinking is inevitable.

As the older guys die off, we might see more murders. enough of the older guys go the whole dynamics will change.

Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: F_white] #730712
07/29/13 05:58 PM
07/29/13 05:58 PM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey

if pigs could use tools then they could build houses!

It's either blue cheese with wings or go fuck yer mudda!
Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #730718
07/29/13 06:30 PM
07/29/13 06:30 PM
Chicago, Il.
12thStreet Offline
Made Member
12thStreet  Offline
Made Member
Chicago, Il.
I WHOLE HEARTEDLY agree with Pizza Boy and Chicago about the white collar shit and guys putting their sons into it to make legit money. I still believe though that once Pops dies though, those businesses and their contracts and profits are ripe to be armed by the next generation of street guys. We have seen it here in Chicago. Ricca's son was ripped off in a scam and recently those old Hanhardt Crew guys broke into Angelo LaPietra's house..I'm sure they won't be easy to arm but nonetheless it's quite possible. Am very curious to see what Cicero does when the old Elmwood Park guys --i.e. the DiFronzos, Andriacchi and D'Amico die off.

Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #730736
07/29/13 07:08 PM
07/29/13 07:08 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Ivy attrition won't take it's toll in this situation NYC still has a very large recruitment base. There will always be guys willing to step up. However that being said I do think they're going to dwindle into a lesser organization. But that's going to take a long time

pizzaboy summed it up well above. Even the NY families are down from their max size decades ago. And there's also attrition in terms of quality. It certainly takes it toll much slower in New York than elsewhere but it's there.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: Mr_Willie_Cicci] #730740
07/29/13 07:12 PM
Chicago, Il.
12thStreet Offline
Made Member
12thStreet  Offline
Made Member
Chicago, Il.
I'm not saying that the street guys will be SUCCESSFUL in trying to arm the white collar groups, they'll probably mess it up and all get indicted lol as they are not of the same salt as their predecessors..But I think they will try in some fashion..

Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: cheech] #730741
Illinois
F_white Offline
Underboss
F_white  Offline
Underboss
Illinois

you seem clueless

And my opinion sir is that you must be 15 or have no real knowledge of the street racket.

It still my opinion sometime this sh*t feel like school everyone want to be the COOL KIDS.

Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: IvyLeague] #730742
07/29/13 07:18 PM
07/29/13 07:18 PM
Illinois
C
Chicago Offline
Underboss
Chicago  Offline
C
Underboss
Illinois
Attrition and the RICO law have beat the Mob Families down like nothing else. New York will just take a lot longer.
Smart men like DiFronzo knew when to retreat.
It's all a big poker game on the streets with the FEDS AND SOMEBODY YOU KNOW WELL who might be talking to them.
You got to know when to hold'em and know when to fold'em.

DiFronzo Brothers, Andriacchi, Lombardo (who got unlucky) and D'Amico all understood the Poker game very well.

Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: Chicago] #730746
07/29/13 07:29 PM
07/29/13 07:29 PM
Chicago, Il.
12thStreet Offline
Made Member
12thStreet  Offline
Made Member
Chicago, Il.
Originally Posted By: Chicago
Attrition and the RICO law have beat the Mob Families down like nothing else. New York will just take a lot longer.
Smart men like DiFronzo knew when to retreat.
It's all a big poker game on the streets with the FEDS AND SOMEBODY YOU KNOW WELL who might be talking to them.
You got to know when to hold'em and know when to fold'em.

DiFronzo Brothers, Andriacchi, Lombardo (who got unlucky) and D'Amico all understood the Poker game very well.
Lombardo did get unlucky. I'll never understand why Pat Spilotro thought Lombardo could have done anything to save the Spilotro brothers. Lombardo was in prison and couldn't do a damn thing-at least not that time. Who knows? As much as Aiuppa loved Lombardo it may have been the fact that he was in prison that saved Lombardo from getting killed as well in that he was supposed to keep a lid on Tony Spilotro and did not do a good job of it...

Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #730750
07/29/13 07:34 PM
07/29/13 07:34 PM
C
cookcounty Offline
Underboss
cookcounty  Offline
C
Underboss

they have already dwindled my dude

they have rat infested families

do you understand what that means?

Re: Can the Mafia ever gain the strength it once had? [Re: 12thStreet] #730752
07/29/13 07:40 PM
07/29/13 07:40 PM
Illinois
C
Chicago Offline
Underboss
Chicago  Offline
C
Underboss
Illinois
12Th St. That was a possible scenario. Tony was strictly on a tribute set up unlike most other made guys in Chicago who are more in a real partnership set up. Tony ran his street crew anyway he wanted and just gave some kind of reasonable tribute to Lombardo. This is what happens when you lose control over your men.
I don't think Lombardo would have been killed if he were not in Prison. It's very difficult and political to kill a Boss in Chicago.

No, what would have happened is that Lombardo would have had a meeting with Tony and his brother, and at the meeting, Lombardo and some other men would have killed both of them.
This is just hypothetical but my opinion.

Last edited by Chicago; 07/29/13 07:41 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull