GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Malavita, Lou_Para), 144 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,860
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,318
Posts1,058,477
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17
Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: IvyLeague] #722860
06/27/13 09:53 PM
06/27/13 09:53 PM
Chicago Underworld
Frank_Nitti Offline
"The Enforcer"
Frank_Nitti  Offline
"The Enforcer"
Underboss
Chicago Underworld
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Originally Posted By: Frank_Nitti
Ivy, some of us know precisely what we speak of and haven't been brainwashed by a fringe cult that almost everyone in this country regards as clincally insane.

So now you speak for everyone, huh? You're speaking for yourself. Nothing more.

Uhh, most people do regard Mormonism as a cult founded by a complete and utter heretic fraud. You can argue it's not until whenever, but those guys are on about the same level as the Branch Davidians. Like when the BYU basketball player was suspended for having sex--with his FIANCEE--safe to say that doesn't fall into mainstream America or virtually anywhere else.
http://www.cultwatch.com/mormon.html
http://mormoncult.org/
http://www.thepropheticyears.com/cults/mormons.HTM

Abraham Lincoln supported the condemnation of Mormon plural marriage as a “relic of barbarism" and opposed statehood for Utah unless the Church renounced polygamy. In his 1857 speech on the Dred Scott case he said it was “probable” the Mormons were in “open rebellion” against the federal government. He then stated that therefore he was open to the idea of abolishing Utah as a territory and said the Saints should be “somehow coerced to obedience”. (Abraham Lincoln: Speeches and Writings, 1832-1858, New York: Rutgers University Press, 1989, p. 390).

This is all after the Utah war took place in which several later Civil War generals (i.e Albert Sidney Johnston) and statesmen participated in. So please, save the ad hominems for the rest of the Kool Aid drinkers.

And this equates to him going to war with the Mormons?

We already had a war with the Mormons, and there would have been more had they not acquiescenced to the demands of the US government. Now you're just arguing dishonestly and denying basic historical facts and syllogism, but I'll continue to play along.

And 'so what if there is no significant support for polygamy?' This is the still the government by the people, of the people, and for the people, right?

Tell that to the people of California. And once again, you can't agree with the Supreme Court's ruling on gay marriage (which they say is based on the Constitution) and then turn around and say polygamy should remain illegal based on some public opinion argument. Hell, at least other libs here are being somewhat consistent by saying they would allow polygamy. You're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

You think I'm a liberal? Wow, maybe to a Nazi or some small town, narrow minded ignorant ass but not in general. And again, when there's a popular outcry for polygamy like there has been for same sex marriage it'll be addressed. But I wouldn't hold my breath. Spoiler alert: It's not even on the radar.

Every poll in this nation says there's more support in favor of same sex marriage than those opposing it, and it grows everyday. Polygamy isn't even a blip on the radar screen.

You and other gay marriage supporters like to quote these polls, which are often conflicting. Last I checked, far more states have ban gay marriage than allow it. Which is precisely why gay marriage supporters have to go through the courts. They know they will lose in the court of public opinion most of the time.
You can't cite one mainstream media poll where the opposition is higher, because Fox News has it even. And those states are falling one by one, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion, with you and others dragging your feet every step of the way.

And it really doesn't matter what people thought of this 1,000 years ago or even 100 years ago, we've advanced on every other social issue so why not this one?

Hardly. Divorce is around 50%. Ever increasing numbers of children are born out of wedlock. As well as raised without a mother in the home. The feminist movement has about sex without consequences - the worst thing to happen to women. How many diseases have been spread about by people fornicating like animals? 50+ million abortions in this country since Roe v. Wade. Attempts to get tax-payer funded sex changes. The minimization of the differing identities and roles of men and women. Women in combat, as well as SEALS and Rangers for God's sake. Reverse racism in the form of affirmative action. And now federally recognized gay marriage.

What planet are you living on?
Well I'm NOT living on planet Kolob with you and your cronies, but I'll tell you now that none of those social conditions you mentioned will be mitigated by the disallowal of same sex marriage (cetainly not women in the military or whatever else you throw in there). People will still get married in traditional settings and have kids; some will be good parents, some not, but even that is highly subjective as to what constitutes good parenting. This all sounds like a cop out to cover your own personal biases.

Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: Frank_Nitti] #722865
06/27/13 10:18 PM
06/27/13 10:18 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Uhh, most people do regard Mormonism as a cult founded by a complete and utter heretic fraud. You can argue it's not until whenever, but those guys are on about the same level as the Branch Davidians. Like when the BYU basketball player was suspended for having sex--with his FIANCEE--safe to say that doesn't fall into mainstream America or virtually anywhere else.
http://www.cultwatch.com/mormon.html
http://mormoncult.org/
http://www.thepropheticyears.com/cults/mormons.HTM

This may come as a shock to you but you posting a few internet links doesn't equate to most people. Are you even familiar with the definition of a cult? It doesn't apply to the LDS Church, regardless of whatever your personal opinion is.

I'd also like to point out that the three links you posted above, two of which I am familiar with, are run by either Evangelical Christians (the type who have nothing good to say about anyone) or ex-Mormons. At any other time, these people would have no credibility in your eyes. But since they're slamming the LDS Church, you have no problem referring to them here.

Quote:
We already had a war with the Mormons, and there would have been more had they not acquiescenced to the demands of the US government. Now you're just arguing dishonestly and denying basic historical facts and syllogism, but I'll continue to play along.

Much like your lack of understanding of the word "cult," you apparently don't understand the meaning of the word "war" either. While I'm very familiar with the historical context that brought about the manifesto and the LDS Church abandoning polygamy (though it certainly wasn't directly because of the U.S. government's threats) you're trying to paint of picture of history that isn't correct or justifiable but simply a lame attempt to smear the LDS church, both past and present. This is what many gay marriage supporters like you do. You're really ones who are fueled by bigotry and full of vitriol. Your posts have been a perfect example of that.

Quote:
You think I'm a liberal? Wow, maybe to a Nazi or some small town, narrow minded ignorant ass but not in general. And again, when there's a popular outcry for polygamy like there has been for same sex marriage it'll be addressed. But I wouldn't hold my breath. Spoiler alert: It's not even on the radar.

You keep dodging the point because you know you can't get around it. One can't argue for gay marriage, while arguing against polygamy, and be intellectually honest and consistent at the same time.

Quote:
You can't cite one mainstream media poll where the opposition is higher, because Fox News has it even. And those states are falling one by one, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion, with you and others dragging your feet every step of the way.

You may have missed the part where I said I couldn't care less about what the polls say, either one way or the other. They're just numbers up in the air until the people in each state actually make their voices heard on the issue. And, so far, a lot more states have banned gay marriage. And I don't expect that to change for most of them any time soon.

Quote:
Well I'm NOT living on planet Kolob with you and your cronies, but I'll tell you now that none of those social conditions you mentioned will be mitigated by the disallowal of same sex marriage (cetainly not women in the military or whatever else you throw in there). People will still get married in traditional settings and have kids; some will be good parents, some not, but even that is highly subjective as to what constitutes good parenting. This all sounds like a cope-out to cover your own personal biases.

Allowing gay marriage only adds to the social decline.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 06/27/13 10:31 PM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #722866
06/27/13 10:24 PM
06/27/13 10:24 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
In a post above, the divorce rate (national, I guess) was stated to be around 50%. The divorce rate is generally misundertood. There are several ways in which it can be calculated. Usually, its calculation is a function of a ratio between marriages performed and divorces granted in any one year. Thus, part of its calculation is based on marriages performed in any prior year.

Last edited by olivant; 06/27/13 10:24 PM.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #722869
06/27/13 10:30 PM
06/27/13 10:30 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline OP
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline OP
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Ivy you kind of dodged the last part of Franks question. How does gay marriage affect any of the social declines you mentioned?

"Don't ever go against the family again. Ever"- Michael Corleone
Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #722871
06/27/13 10:36 PM
06/27/13 10:36 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: 123JoeSchmo
Ivy you kind of dodged the last part of Franks question. How does gay marriage affect any of the social declines you mentioned?

Like I said, it adds to the over all decline of our society. It's about the sum total of it all. That said, it further blurs the differing roles of men and women in society. That's one of the worst things gay marriage does - it says men and women are interchangeable. That it doesn't matter if a family is headed by, or children raised by, two men or two women. That they can offer anything a man and woman can. That's a lie. The family unit was already under enough stress with divorce, infidelity, children born out of wedlock, abortion, and everything else. Gay marriage only leads us further away from the stable, nuclear family of a husband, wife, and children - the building block of society for millenia.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #722872
06/27/13 10:43 PM
06/27/13 10:43 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline OP
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline OP
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
^Ive heard that one before from plenty of rightwing nutjobs. Just makes me yawn honestly. Just like frank said, dragging your feet. A fair amount of people, including an overwhelming majority in my generation, support or do not care about gay marriage. Thirty years from now it won't even be an issue

Last edited by 123JoeSchmo; 06/27/13 10:44 PM.

Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #722874
06/27/13 11:08 PM
06/27/13 11:08 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Joe how old are you?

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: fathersson] #722876
06/27/13 11:24 PM
06/27/13 11:24 PM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline OP
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline OP
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA
Originally Posted By: fathersson
Joe how old are you?

I turned 24 in January.

Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #722888
06/28/13 12:20 AM
06/28/13 12:20 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

^Ive heard that one before from plenty of rightwing nutjobs. Just makes me yawn honestly. Just like frank said, dragging your feet. A fair amount of people, including an overwhelming majority in my generation, support or do not care about gay marriage. Thirty years from now it won't even be an issue

I think you and the rest of your generation are in for a rude awakening. What one generation tolerates, the next embraces.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 06/28/13 12:21 AM.

Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: IvyLeague] #722893
06/28/13 12:50 AM
06/28/13 12:50 AM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline OP
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline OP
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA

I think you and the rest of your generation are in for a rude awakening. What one generation tolerates, the next embraces.

I think my generation and I are doing the right thing by accepting or at least tolerating gays as opposed to telling them they're sinful and going to end up being tortured in hell. You tell me which sounds better. But I guess we will have to agree to disagree

Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #722908
06/28/13 04:22 AM
06/28/13 04:22 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
I'm 22, and think it is disgusting and sick. A lot of my friends in my age group feel same way, but if we speak out, we are wrongfully condemned as haters or some other dumb term. Many people in my age group are looking for approval or just tend to go along with whatever trend seems to be popular.

Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: jace] #722910
06/28/13 04:29 AM
06/28/13 04:29 AM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Originally Posted By: jace
I'm 22, and think it is disgusting and sick. A lot of my friends in my age group feel same way, but if we speak out, we are wrongfully condemned as haters or some other dumb term. Many people in my age group are looking for approval or just tend to go along with whatever trend seems to be popular.

Get Hype Son!

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: jace] #722915
06/28/13 07:59 AM
06/28/13 07:59 AM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss

I have felt this many many times. The loud vocal people make it seem that everyone feels the same way they do, but very often it is simply not true. It is the same right here on this board.

and just like you say so many just want to belong or be liked so they stay quiet and go along. Some call this "the Sheep" effect.
Sad, because without someone speaking up the vocal ones imply that "EVERYONE " feels the way they do.

Thanks for stepping up and telling it like it really is. clap

"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: jace] #722916
06/28/13 08:03 AM
06/28/13 08:03 AM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey

Im 21 and i also think its sick...when men do it, but women should be able to do whatever they want lol.

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #722917
06/28/13 08:14 AM
06/28/13 08:14 AM
Chicago Underworld
Frank_Nitti Offline
"The Enforcer"
Frank_Nitti  Offline
"The Enforcer"
Underboss
Chicago Underworld
I just think we should live and let live. If you found out tomorrow you only had a year left of Earth, would you waste one second of it trying to deny something as trivial as same sex marriage? With so many pressing issues in the world and so many people suffering there has to be a better way to spend one's time. IMO such broad social engineering on such a trivial issue is done by those without perspective and context on what really matters in life. People who are gay and can't change that fact already feel bad enough and out of place as it is, why waste your time making them feel even worse? Sounds simple, but love your brothers and sisters and try to make the world a happier place.

Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: jace] #722932
06/28/13 11:00 AM
06/28/13 11:00 AM
Massachusetts, USA
123JoeSchmo Offline OP
Underboss
123JoeSchmo  Offline OP
Underboss
Massachusetts, USA

Where are you from jace? And I don't see why you should give a shit about gays, what they do or if they get married. Sure it's your opinion and people have to respect that, but don't think you and your friends are in any sort of majority among our generation.

Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: Frank_Nitti] #722937
06/28/13 11:51 AM
06/28/13 11:51 AM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
I just think we should live and let live. If you found out tomorrow you only had a year left of Earth, would you waste one second of it trying to deny something as trivial as same sex marriage? With so many pressing issues in the world and so many people suffering there has to be a better way to spend one's time. IMO such broad social engineering on such a trivial issue is done by those without perspective and context on what really matters in life. People who are gay and can't change that fact already feel bad enough and out of place as it is, why waste your time making them feel even worse? Sounds simple, but love your brothers and sisters and try to make the world a happier place.

+1

To me it's a complete non issue i'm alot more concerned with the economy and foreign policy. It actually feels like a distraction more than anything else, but so many people on both sides get up in arms over it, in ways my cynical side almost thinks certain politicians enjoy this issue taking center stage when it distracts so many people from the real issues.

Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: Camarel] #722939
06/28/13 12:01 PM
06/28/13 12:01 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Camarel

+1

To me it's a complete non issue i'm alot more concerned with the economy and foreign policy. It actually feels like a distraction more than anything else, but so many people on both sides get up in arms over it, in ways my cynical side almost thinks certain politicians enjoy this issue taking center stage when it distracts so many people from the real issues.

Boy, I can really understand that point. I have heard that a number of times. People saying that there are to many irons in the fire. So anything isn't center attention.

Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #722945
06/28/13 12:27 PM
06/28/13 12:27 PM
New Jersey
Dellacroce Offline
Underboss
Dellacroce  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
To me whether or not i believe in gay marriage isnt even the issue, to my the big issue is that fderal govt gives themselves the power to decide whether or not its legal. If the people in a certain state want it legalized they should vote on it and if the majority of the people are for it then it passes. There should be zero federal involvement. And i complely agree with you caramel that its just a big distraction.

"Let me tell you something. There's no nobility in poverty. I've been a poor man, and I've been a rich man. And I choose rich every fucking time."

-Jordan Belfort
Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: IvyLeague] #722960
06/28/13 01:36 PM
06/28/13 01:36 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Uh...then why did this country outlaw polygamy? Isn't that form a marriage a fundamental right, especially considering it has a first amendment basis with freedom of religion?

You're frequently wrong, but seldom in doubt.

First of all, while the possible right to gay marriage has yet to be addressed, there are clear legal, policy, and constitutional differences between that and polygamy or bigamy. Heterosexuals can still exercise the right to marry while gays can't in most states. If we were to challenge a marital law that does not include polygamy under strict scrutiny (an overly generous standard under the circumstances), there are compelling state interests that are overriding. There are numerous rights, obligations, privileges and responsibilities associated with the state institution of marriage that are compromised anddestroyedby pluralistic or even incestual unions. These include matters involving death, secession, diminution of assets, social security, tax filings, exemptions, deductions, custody, transfers of property, insurance coverages, right to enter into prenuptial agreements, and many more. Fidelity is a state interest as well, which is nullified by the very existence of polygamy or bigamy.

Polygamists are not denied the right to marry, but by demanding a right to maintain multiple spouses they are altering the rights associated in marriage.

The rights, responsibilities and obligations associated with marriage can be fulfilled by same-sex partners as well as opposite sex partners. Moreover, gay marriage has a much more valid argument under equal protection as they constitute a distinct and immutable class of people, which would require heightened scrutiny under the Equal Protection Clause.

Finally, spare us all the hysterics and juvenile name calling, but feel free to keep hurling bible verses at us. smile

Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: Frank_Nitti] #722967
06/28/13 01:52 PM
06/28/13 01:52 PM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss

That would be like throwing every value we have out the window cause we are about to die. No one is denying them right to sex, it's them forcing way into boy scouts and other institutions that is the problem.

Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #722968
06/28/13 01:58 PM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss

Where are you from jace? And I don't see why you should give a shit about gays, what they do or if they get married. Sure it's your opinion and people have to respect that, but don't think you and your friends are in any sort of majority among our generation.

What does where I'm from have to do with anything? Give us your birthplace and current address, then I'll consider your question. As to who is majority in our generation, neither one of us can say for sure, since we are under a media dictatorship of political correctness that persecutes anyone speaking up on side against gay marriage, illegal immigration, and other issues. College is worse. It's as much about indoctrination as it is about education.

Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: klydon1] #722969
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Thanks Kly for your in-depth post. It illustrates what so many posts do not on this subject (and others) - consideration for due process, judicial philosophies (e.g., Strict Scrutiny), and, among others, one of which so many posters are not aware: compelling state interests.

Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #722971
06/28/13 02:26 PM
06/28/13 02:26 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

I think my generation and I are doing the right thing by accepting or at least tolerating gays as opposed to telling them they're sinful and going to end up being tortured in hell. You tell me which sounds better. But I guess we will have to agree to disagree

People like myself are fine with gay people living and being well. I want that for two of my brothers who, as I've said before, are gay. But it's a higher power than myself who says saying that lifestyle is a sin. And note that I never said anything about being "tortured in hell."

Originally Posted By: klydon
First of all, while the possible right to gay marriage has yet to be addressed, there are clear legal, policy, and constitutional differences between that and polygamy or bigamy. Heterosexuals can still exercise the right to marry while gays can't in most states. If we were to challenge a marital law that does not include polygamy under strict scrutiny (an overly generous standard under the circumstances), there are compelling state interests that are overriding. There are numerous rights, obligations, privileges and responsibilities associated with the state institution of marriage that are compromised anddestroyedby pluralistic or even incestual unions. These include matters involving death, secession, diminution of assets, social security, tax filings, exemptions, deductions, custody, transfers of property, insurance coverages, right to enter into prenuptial agreements, and many more. Fidelity is a state interest as well, which is nullified by the very existence of polygamy or bigamy.

Polygamists are not denied the right to marry, but by demanding a right to maintain multiple spouses they are altering the rights associated in marriage.

The rights, responsibilities and obligations associated with marriage can be fulfilled by same-sex partners as well as opposite sex partners. Moreover, gay marriage has a much more valid argument under equal protection as they constitute a distinct and immutable class of people, which would require heightened scrutiny under the Equal Protection Clause.

Finally, spare us all the hysterics and juvenile name calling, but feel free to keep hurling bible verses at us.

I'll give you credit for doing your best not to appear hypocritical on this issue. But, no matter how much legal mumbo jumbo you try to spew, in the end you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. This is a perfect example of how you couldn't care less about law or the Constitution. You start with your own personal opinion and then work backwards, perverting the law and Constitution to fit it. Polygamy at least has a Constitutional basis with the 1st Amendment. But here you are arguing against it but for gay marriage. Typical forked tongue, double talking lawyer.

Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: IvyLeague] #723003
06/28/13 03:37 PM
06/28/13 03:37 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Ivy,

You made the post below in the Anthony Weiner thread, but I figured this was a more appropriate place to respond smile.

Oh, and refresh my memory, how does a believing Catholic support gay marriage again? uhwhat Is that stance from the Joe Biden wing of the church?

Easy, buddy. I'm one of the only friends you've got here lol.

But all kidding aside, I've explained myself to you earlier on this matter, on the board an in pms as well. I don't "support" it as much as I just don't give a shit, and here's why (again):

If you go by the letter of the law of the Catholic Church (of which I'm a member), City Hall "marriages" aren't real marriages anyway. Now if my neighbor Joe married his wife Nancy at City Hall twenty years ago, and we've been friends for the last ten, and their "marriage" (or lack thereof) doesn't offend me, then why should a City sponsored marriage between a gay couple bother me? Neither is recongnized by the Church, so it's no skin off my apple. I'm just trying to be consistent.

And if they're entitiled to Government benefits, then they should get them. You're still a pretty young guy and I hope you've enjoyed good health. But you have no idea what a simple battle with a more than serious disease can do to a bank account. If a gay couple being married makes one of them eligible for the other's health insurance, that ain't a bad thing in my opinion.

As far as the morality of it all: I'm not going to preach eternal damnation on a message board any more than I'm going to get in my car, drive to the South Bronx, and preach peace and love to teenaged gangbangers. In short, it ain't none of my fucking business. It's between them and God. And I've used this one before but I'll use it again anyway: To paraphrase David Puddy, "They're the ones going to hell, not me."

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #723009
06/28/13 04:18 PM
06/28/13 04:18 PM
Chicago Underworld
Frank_Nitti Offline
"The Enforcer"
Frank_Nitti  Offline
"The Enforcer"
Underboss
Chicago Underworld
@IvyLeague - Klydon's not spouting legal mumbo jumbo on polygamy, he's expanding on exactly what I said in post #722805--it's not possible to share marital rights and responsibilities equally between more than 2 people. No amount of covering your ears and burying your head in the sand changes this. The only ones arguing the polygamy point are people from Utah or those searching for a diversion via a straw man argument.

We can't and won't base our laws on what "God" supposedly said, that's insane. God has said, or has been interpretated to have said, a lot of things which simply don't hold up in the modern world. Being a creationist and a follower of institutionalized religion are NOT dependant concepts. I'm a creationist because my natural intuition and study of science leads me to it. No religion has the institutional right to tell anyone they've actually spoken to and speak for this creator, though. Atleast not in this country they don't.

@ jace - I actually agree on your 'them forcing way into boyscouts' statement to an extent. You wouldn't let a woman take a group of boys into the woods for several days just as a man shouldn't take a group of girls, it's a conflict of interest. Maybe if we as a society can get over the taboo of this issue we can actually have a meaningful discussion on these type things. However, none of that implies that Gays can't be join or be apart of the group.

My point about utilizing one's time is that opposing this issue is entirely futile, with no instrinsic or utilitarian value gained by it whatsoever. There's no discernable evidence that same sex marraige diminishes a supposedly stable definition of nuclear family or society in general, and is an entirely abstract, equivocale argument--it can't be proven scientifically or even syllogistically. And even if a connection could be established, again, what of it? They're not hurting anyone or effecting anything any other couple or person does, it's not going to have one iota of affect on how well other people raise their own kids or live their lives. Your personal values don't trump those of society as a whole.

@pizzaboy - I actually consider myself one of IvyLeague's friends, too. lol I just think he's gone waaay overboard lately with the proselytizing. This issue hits home for him which surprises me he's not more tolerant of it. I have too many wonderful friends who are in same sex relationships and I just refuse to deny them or anyone else their civil rights. Are there some hitches in this thing? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean it's worth discriminating for the sake of personal preference alone.

Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #723011
06/28/13 04:21 PM
06/28/13 04:21 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Quote:
A federal judge on Friday blocked Michigan's ban on domestic partner benefits for employees who work for public schools or local governments, saying state lawmakers simply wanted to punish gays and lesbians.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/mich-ban-domestic-partner-benefits-blocked

Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: Frank_Nitti] #723012
06/28/13 04:26 PM
06/28/13 04:26 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
@pizzaboy - I actually consider myself one of IvyLeague's friends, too. lol I just think he's gone waaay overboard lately with the proselytizing. This issue hits home for him which surprises me he's not more tolerant of it. I have too many wonderful friends who are in same sex relationships and I just refuse to deny them or anyone else their civil rights. Are there some hitches in this thing? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean it's worth discriminating for the sake of personal preference alone.

Eaxactly, Frank. Exactly smile.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: 123JoeSchmo] #723016
06/28/13 04:53 PM
06/28/13 04:53 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
An inclination toward proselytization skews one's understanding of important legal concepts, to several of which Kly referred. It also demeans the evolutionary efforts of so many to create a more perfect society just as the US Constitution is an effort to form a more perfect union.

Re: Rhode Island votes yes to gay marriage [Re: pizzaboy] #723019
06/28/13 06:15 PM
06/28/13 06:15 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Easy, buddy. I'm one of the only friends you've got here lol.

But all kidding aside, I've explained myself to you earlier on this matter, on the board an in pms as well. I don't "support" it as much as I just don't give a shit, and here's why (again):

If you go by the letter of the law of the Catholic Church (of which I'm a member), City Hall "marriages" aren't real marriages anyway. Now if my neighbor Joe married his wife Nancy at City Hall twenty years ago, and we've been friends for the last ten, and their "marriage" (or lack thereof) doesn't offend me, then why should a City sponsored marriage between a gay couple bother me? Neither is recongnized by the Church, so it's no skin off my apple. I'm just trying to be consistent.

And if they're entitiled to Government benefits, then they should get them. You're still a pretty young guy and I hope you've enjoyed good health. But you have no idea what a simple battle with a more than serious disease can do to a bank account. If a gay couple being married makes one of them eligible for the other's health insurance, that ain't a bad thing in my opinion.

As far as the morality of it all: I'm not going to preach eternal damnation on a message board any more than I'm going to get in my car, drive to the South Bronx, and preach peace and love to teenaged gangbangers. In short, it ain't none of my fucking business. It's between them and God. And I've used this one before but I'll use it again anyway: To paraphrase David Puddy, "They're the ones going to hell, not me."

It wasn't my intention to call you out or anything, PB. I suppose I just assumed that, if the issue is important enough that the Catholic church worked against gay marriage, it would matter to you.

@IvyLeague - Klydon's not spouting legal mumbo jumbo on polygamy, he's expanding on exactly what I said in post #722805--it's not possible to share marital rights and responsibilities equally between more than 2 people. No amount of covering your ears and burying your head in the sand changes this. The only ones arguing the polygamy point are people from Utah or those searching for a diversion via a straw man argument.

We can't and won't base our laws on what "God" supposedly said, that's insane. God has said, or has been interpretated to have said, a lot of things which simply don't hold up in the modern world. Being a creationist and a follower of institutionalized religion are NOT dependant concepts. I'm a creationist because my natural intuition and study of science leads me to it. No religion has the institutional right to tell anyone they've actually spoken to and speak for this creator, though. Atleast not in this country they don't.

What I'm saying, at least in relation to klydon, is that he can't argue against polygamy based on the interest of the state while, at the same time, arguing that gay marriage doesn't hurt the interest of the state. The best family unit is the most natural one that has been in place, as the building block of society, for millenia - father, mother, children. You can argue that polygamy shouldn't be allowed because it doesn't meet that criteria but you can't then turn right around and argue for gay marriage. It's entirely inconsistent and dishonest. It shows the hypocrisy of some supporters of gay marriage on this issue and how - as much as they espouse them - the Constitution, equal rights, equal protection, etc. doesn't mean a hill of beans to them. It's all about their agenda.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 06/28/13 06:16 PM.

Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull