GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (RushStreet, Malavita, 1 invisible), 313 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,519
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,970
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,351
Posts1,059,066
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
After the Castellano hit #719337
06/07/13 08:02 PM
06/07/13 08:02 PM
Jenkins Offline OP
Made Member
Jenkins  Offline OP
Made Member
Was Gotti auto-magically boss since he orchestrated the murder? Why did that jackass get named boss? Did the other Gambino capos just LET the bastard take over? I just can't understand how Gotti got away with killing the boss. We know the Lucchese and Genovese families tried to do something about it, although they screwed up and killed Frank DeCicco. Why werent there any repercussions within the Gambino family? It's like the Gambinos just accepted it and even let that dumb shit Peter Gotti run the family into the ground after John died.

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: Jenkins] #719339
06/07/13 08:44 PM
06/07/13 08:44 PM
Snakes Offline
Underboss
Snakes  Offline
Underboss
Gotti wasn't immediately made boss but at a meeting of all the capos not long after Big Paul was hit nobody dissented when he proposed himself as the new boss. Gotti had a lot of muscle behind him (he just took out a boss) and nobody else wanted to end up like Paul or Bilotti.

Of course they couldn't tell the future, but a lot of guys in the Gambinos had tired of Paul's "unfair" share of the profits that the family made, especially off of the loan sharking and gambling which he didn't have as large a hand in. When Gotti took over it was perceived to be "back to the streets" so to speak.

Last edited by Snakes; 06/07/13 08:45 PM.

"Snakes... Snakes... I don't know no Snakes."
Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: Jenkins] #719340
06/07/13 08:45 PM
06/07/13 08:45 PM
A
AllDay27 Offline
Capo
AllDay27  Offline
A
Capo
there was said to be a 3 man panel, at least in show of Gotti, DeCicco and Gallo. Decicco gave the seat to Gotti thinking gotti could never be an underboss himself, with a secret plot to kill Gotti within a year if he didn't perform effectively. Sammy The Bull was in on the one year boss idea as well, however Decicco go bombed within that 1st year and after that it was only about 5 years and 4 trials before Gravano flipped and sunk the world

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: Jenkins] #719353
06/07/13 11:26 PM
06/07/13 11:26 PM
Illinois
F_white Offline
Underboss
F_white  Offline
Underboss
Illinois
The capos may not had wanted all out war with gotti.Paul lost respect with the street crews but he was not a street guy,and everyone know that Lil Nicky was running the famly by time Peter become boss i think Peter was front boss of the feds

From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn.

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: Jenkins] #719357
06/08/13 12:30 AM
06/08/13 12:30 AM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge
Who's lil Nickey?

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: Jenkins] #719359
06/08/13 12:40 AM
06/08/13 12:40 AM
T
tiger84 Offline
Capo
tiger84  Offline
T
Capo
gotti let his capos get away with alot of things and he wasnt a greedy boss so the capos liked having him as boss

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: NickyEyes1] #719360
06/08/13 01:14 AM
06/08/13 01:14 AM
Illinois
F_white Offline
Underboss
F_white  Offline
Underboss
Illinois
Nicholas Corozzo

From now on, nothing goes down unless I'm involved. No blackjack no dope deals, no nothing. A nickel bag gets sold in the park, I want in. You guys got fat while everybody starved on the street. Now it's my turn.

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: Jenkins] #719361
06/08/13 01:28 AM
06/08/13 01:28 AM
L
Lou_Para Offline
Underboss
Lou_Para  Offline
L
Underboss
Here is an interesting link to a Gotti bio which includes an account of the maneuvering both before and after the hit on Paul.
The book "Gotti,Rise and Fall" is cited for some of the source material.
http://www.collegetermpapers.com/TermPapers/Biographies/John_Gotti.html

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: Jenkins] #719371
06/08/13 11:10 AM
06/08/13 11:10 AM
J
JCrusher Offline
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline
J
Underboss
To be fair at that point all the other muscle crews were gone. We all know gotti feared the demeo crew and since sammy and decicco were with gotti on the plot there was no other crews who had the muscle to start a war

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: Jenkins] #719413
06/08/13 08:59 PM
06/08/13 08:59 PM
A
abc123 Offline
Underboss
abc123  Offline
A
Underboss
Big Paul was there for the taken by the time he was killed, Gotti would never had got away with the hit say even 5 or 6 years before hand, some main people were in on the hit at the time. muscle Big Paul side did not have Gambino capos as they did not like him gotti feared nobody he had balls but no brain, demeo crew Lucchese and Genovese families would have got all the ploters fews years before hand Aniello Dellacroce would never let a boss get hit old ways old school with rules.

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: abc123] #719416
06/08/13 09:21 PM
06/08/13 09:21 PM
Jenkins Offline OP
Made Member
Jenkins  Offline OP
Made Member
Was the resentment towards Big Paul justified? Granted it is a different era, but look at John DiFronzo in Chicago. From what I read he sits back in his mansion and collects from his construction business. He isn't out there getting his hands dirty with his street guys. Why was Castellano resented for doing that? Was Ducks Corallo or Snake Persico busting their ass in the streets? Probably not. I bet you they were sitting back collecting the money just like Big Paul.

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: Jenkins] #719418
06/08/13 09:35 PM
06/08/13 09:35 PM
A
abc123 Offline
Underboss
abc123  Offline
A
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Jenkins
Was the resentment towards Big Paul justified? Granted it is a different era, but look at John DiFronzo in Chicago. From what I read he sits back in his mansion and collects from his construction business. He isn't out there getting his hands dirty with his street guys. Why was Castellano resented for doing that? Was Ducks Corallo or Snake Persico busting their ass in the streets? Probably not. I bet you they were sitting back collecting the money just like Big Paul.

Was the resentment towards Big Paul justified?

I would say some part of why they hit him was because people was thinking he would rat in court his mansion was because he did run
a meat place and could pay for it on the books the hit was justified in the eyes on the Gambino members and they did roll over right away. Probably Big Paul was going to kill gotti&Co but
who's to say he was ?

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: Jenkins] #719429
06/08/13 11:27 PM
06/08/13 11:27 PM
A
AllDay27 Offline
Capo
AllDay27  Offline
A
Capo
DiFronzo wasn't always sitting back in his mansion collecting on construction, he started off as a cat burglar and sliced his nose almost completely off in his youth busting out of a basement window. That's why they call him No Nose DiFronzo. He didn't ascend to the big seat he inherited it through deaths and lawsuits. He's easily not boss if Family Secrets doesn't happen Marcello and/or Lombardo are boss(es) today. Had Ferriola lived to 84 like DiFronzo and not died at 61 we wouldn't even be having this talk right now. And again after reading Family Secrets it's clear that Frank Calabrese was also planning on possibly making on run at taking over once he got out had his son&brother no subsequently flipped on him

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: Jenkins] #719432
06/08/13 11:41 PM
06/08/13 11:41 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Jenkins

Besides being seen as greedy, Castellano also didn't win any points when he gave his OK for the Genovese family to kill his captain in Connecticut.

These, in themselves, were't enough for most of the guys in the family to do anything beyond gripe. But obviously many of them weren't all that sorry to see him go and fall in line behind the new leadership. Everyone knew what had happened but only Failla and Marino tried to do anything about it.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: Jenkins] #719437
06/08/13 11:55 PM
06/08/13 11:55 PM
A
AllDay27 Offline
Capo
AllDay27  Offline
A
Capo
Let's not also forget that by the mid 80's Big Paul was likely the only guy in the family who wasn't involved or at least funding or overseeing associates who were involved in full scale drug wholesaling. So again in the Gotti takeover you gotta realize everyone knew Gotti's brother and top guy Ruggiero were dealing heroine hand over first with John's silent blessing/partnership so at the end of the day who really gave two shits that Big Paul was gone, they all stood to earn more a lot heavier with Gotti in place. But there's two sides to that coin as well, that's exactly the mentality they all had and as a result many died/went away over drugs and drugs ultimately led to much of the bad luck in the Gambino Family over the next 30 years as well

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: AllDay27] #719439
06/09/13 12:02 AM
06/09/13 12:02 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: AllDay27
Let's not also forget that by the mid 80's Big Paul was likely the only guy in the family who wasn't involved or at least funding or overseeing associates who were involved in full scale drug wholesaling. So again in the Gotti takeover you gotta realize everyone knew Gotti's brother and top guy Ruggiero were dealing heroine hand over first with John's silent blessing/partnership so at the end of the day who really gave two shits that Big Paul was gone, they all stood to earn more a lot heavier with Gotti in place. But there's two sides to that coin as well, that's exactly the mentality they all had and as a result many died/went away over drugs and drugs ultimately led to much of the bad luck in the Gambino Family over the next 30 years as well

Another hypocrisy that Castellano (and other supposedly "Deal and Die" bosses) engaged in. One one hand, Castellano didn't want Gotti's crew dealing. On the other hand, he knowingly took drug money from guys like Patsy Conte and John Gambino.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: Jenkins] #719443
06/09/13 12:50 AM
06/09/13 12:50 AM
A
AllDay27 Offline
Capo
AllDay27  Offline
A
Capo
It's all about who GETS to earn, not how they do it. Paul didn't want Gotti's crew dealing because he knew Gotti could takeover and if the crew kept earning he surely would(good call on Castellano's part) plus with Gene Gotti getting caught dealing Paul had an easy excuse to kill John his likely sucessor. Another thought is what would have possibly happened if the FBI hadn't wire tapped Ruggiero's crib and forced Gotti's hand in whacking Big Paul. Castellano was about to go down for LIFE in the commission trial, he didn't stick around long enough for sentencing, however, had he I am very curious what could have played out (i.e. Attempted commission power shift by other Families) as well as what the Gambino Family in full health with Big Paul getting life would have done. Would Castellano have been allowed to run the show form the jail, it's never been an issue for guys in the past but would the 1986 Gambino Family actually keep CASTELLANO (not your average boss doing life) in place doing life with Guys like Gotti, DeCicco, Armone, Gravano, DeBernardo on the street earning what they were, honestly Paul likely would have been shelved.

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: AllDay27] #719448
06/09/13 01:31 AM
06/09/13 01:31 AM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge
DiFronzo wasn't always sitting back in his mansion collecting on construction, he started off as a cat burglar and sliced his nose almost completely off in his youth busting out of a basement window. That's why they call him No Nose DiFronzo. He didn't ascend to the big seat he inherited it through deaths and lawsuits. He's easily not boss if Family Secrets doesn't happen Marcello and/or Lombardo are boss(es) today. Had Ferriola lived to 84 like DiFronzo and not died at 61 we wouldn't even be having this talk right now. And again after reading Family Secrets it's clear that Frank Calabrese was also planning on possibly making on run at taking over once he got out had his son&brother no subsequently flipped on him

Difronzo would still be boss e in if family secrets didn't happen. Marcello was a front and Lombardo was semi retired.

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: IvyLeague] #719451
06/09/13 01:37 AM
06/09/13 01:37 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

Another hypocrisy that Castellano (and other supposedly "Deal and Die" bosses) engaged in. One one hand, Castellano didn't want Gotti's crew dealing. On the other hand, he knowingly took drug money from guys like Patsy Conte and John Gambino.

I think Conte was out of drug business for long time by time he became involved with Castellano.

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: Jenkins] #719505
06/09/13 01:18 PM
06/09/13 01:18 PM
A
azguy Offline
Underboss
azguy  Offline
A
Underboss
I don't agree with the "unfair" stuff, what boss isn't selfish and fair...?

It was the approved hit on their Capo by the Genovese family that broke Paul's back and the fact that Paul wanted those tapes that showed the Bergin Crew was dealing smack.

Plus, he didn't go to Neil's funeral, a very disrespectful move to a guy that gave his entire life to the family.

Paul had threatened to wipe out that crew and disband them throughout the family. Gotti simply made his move before Paul made his.

"In onore della Famiglia la Famiglia e' aperta"
Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: jace] #719560
06/09/13 06:12 PM
06/09/13 06:12 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: jace
I think Conte was out of drug business for long time by time he became involved with Castellano.

Not according to Gravano. Gravano said that, after Gotti took over, he sent Gravano to tell Conte the new administration wanted the same arrangement (i.e. money) from Conte's drug business that he had with Castellano.

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: IvyLeague] #719590
06/09/13 11:41 PM
06/09/13 11:41 PM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss

Not according to Gravano. Gravano said that, after Gotti took over, he sent Gravano to tell Conte the new administration wanted the same arrangement (i.e. money) from Conte's drug business that he had with Castellano.

Gravano might have been telling truth, or he could have been making it up. Conte and Castellano had very big food distribution going through Key Foods owned by Conte, and Metropolitan Beef Chain, owned by Castellano. I think Conte financed his business through old drug money, but after he was up and running he seems to have stayed clear of drugs or anything else. He had to be tied to Castellano though early Mafia relationship he could not get out of. Or he liked staying involved for matters like union help.

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: Jenkins] #719591
06/09/13 11:44 PM
06/09/13 11:44 PM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
I don't think Gotti and his men feared the Demeo crew. Anyone were they ever captured on tape recordings saying they did? I don't think Gotti would even know the extent of how many Roy and his crew had killed till after it came out in trials.

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: jace] #719599
06/10/13 01:44 AM
06/10/13 01:44 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Gravano might have been telling truth, or he could have been making it up. Conte and Castellano had very big food distribution going through Key Foods owned by Conte, and Metropolitan Beef Chain, owned by Castellano. I think Conte financed his business through old drug money, but after he was up and running he seems to have stayed clear of drugs or anything else. He had to be tied to Castellano though early Mafia relationship he could not get out of. Or he liked staying involved for matters like union help.

Gravano had no reason to lie about that. Conte passed along drug money to Castellano, as well as to Gotti later.

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: IvyLeague] #719602
06/10/13 02:05 AM
06/10/13 02:05 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss

Gravano had no reason to lie about that. Conte passed along drug money to Castellano, as well as to Gotti later.

Gravano had reasons to lie if he was coaxed into it, or if he wanted to lash out at other Gambino Family members. He said he flipped because of Gotti, yet he told on everyone. He also said he was going straight, yet got right into things as soon as he hit Arizona. With Castellano's home wired to catch all conversations, did any come up where him and Conte discussed their dealings?

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: jace] #719605
06/10/13 02:12 AM
06/10/13 02:12 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Gravano had reasons to lie if he was coaxed into it, or if he wanted to lash out at other Gambino Family members. He said he flipped because of Gotti, yet he told on everyone. He also said he was going straight, yet got right into things as soon as he hit Arizona. With Castellano's home wired to catch all conversations, did any come up where him and Conte discussed their dealings?

I think you're grasping at straws. He flipped because of Gotti but his deal with the government required him to tell everything he knew and not lie about it. I don't recall Castellano being picked up talking about Conte's drug business but that doesn't prove anything. He wasn't picked up talking about the Gambino brother's drug ring either. I just don't see a reason for Gravano to make up that story of talking to Conte for nothing.

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: Jenkins] #719610
06/10/13 02:26 AM
06/10/13 02:26 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
I think he could have made it up, not hat he definitely did. I think if Conte had really done it, they would have had a case on him.

Someone just told me on another site that Gravano had deal to not testify agaisnt his own guys. That is strange, he would have more on them than anyone else, yet they got a pass.

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: jace] #719611
06/10/13 02:33 AM
06/10/13 02:33 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

I think he could have made it up, not hat he definitely did. I think if Conte had really done it, they would have had a case on him.

Conte was indicted for drug trafficking and Gravano testified against him.

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1987/Market...864a475365a13f1

Quote:
Someone just told me on another site that Gravano had deal to not testify agaisnt his own guys. That is strange, he would have more on them than anyone else, yet they got a pass.

It was one of the concessions they were willing to give Gravano. Give him a pass with one crew and get everything he knew about the rest of the family.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 06/10/13 02:37 AM.

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: Jenkins] #719614
06/10/13 02:42 AM
06/10/13 02:42 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
Conte was not convicted on drug charge, but pled guilty to a murder.

Re: After the Castellano hit [Re: jace] #719617
06/10/13 04:21 AM
06/10/13 04:21 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Conte was not convicted on drug charge, but pled guilty to a murder.

What's your point? Gotti wasn't convicted on ordering the shooting of union official John O'Connor either. Didn't mean he wasn't guilty of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull