GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 582 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,081
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,372
Posts1,059,535
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 40 of 73 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 72 73
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #692681
01/24/13 06:35 PM
01/24/13 06:35 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
While I agree with the assessments above, this also bothers me to no end. She didn't break any laws, did she? Why should she be punished?

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Sicilian Babe] #693246
01/29/13 08:03 AM
01/29/13 08:03 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
While I agree with the assessments above, this also bothers me to no end. She didn't break any laws, did she? Why should she be punished?

I think she was less than truthful on job app. Also don't teachers usually have some sort of moral turpitude clause in contract?

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #693247
01/29/13 08:05 AM
01/29/13 08:05 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #694088
02/03/13 07:57 AM
02/03/13 07:57 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
What do legal eagles think of the brushback that the President received on recess appointments? I tend to agree that the President shouldn't be able to tell the Senate when it's in recess but the recent court decision arguably went beyond that.

Recess Appointments

Quote:
The early returns on the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals' sweeping "recess appointments" decisions are not favorable. Kenneth Jost of CQ Press called it "astounding." The three-judge panel went "on a tear," he adds. Jeffrey Toobin of the New Yorker called it an "extravagant act of judicial hubris," in which "three federal judges revealed themselves as Republican National Committeemen in robes." Prominent separation-of-powers theorist Peter Shane posted not one, or even two, but three criticisms of the decision. Noel Canning v. National Labor Relations Board, he wrote, "is a little like a Rob Schneider movie -- the more you think about it, the worse it seems."

Even some right-of-center commentators have expressed mixed emotions. In a Federalist Society podcast after the decision, Chapman University professor John Eastman praised the decision as a check on executive power tyranny. Michael Rappaport of the University of San Diego defends the decision against charges of partisanship, and told me in an email that he found the analysis basically correct.
But Michael Greve of George Mason wrote that the opinion seemed "a tad doctrinaire." Writing in the Wall Street Journal (subscription required), John Yoo, formerly of the Bush Justice Department, blamed President Obama for setting up the situation, but cautioned that the opinion "has jeopardized a vital executive power for all future presidents." John Elwood, also a former Bush Justice official, mildly noted that "the panel would have benefited" from actual briefing on the questions it decided...

Winter is Coming

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Lilo] #694119
02/03/13 02:45 PM
02/03/13 02:45 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
I haven't read the decision Lilo, but the history of Article IV does lend itself somewhat to understanding the court's decision. I believe it was the Committee on Postponed Parts that composed the recess appointments provision of the Constitution. It was intended to allow the President the latitude to keep the federal government up and running when the Congress was not in session. That makes sense. Of course, it has evolved into a political maneuver which the Founding Fathers did not antiicpate that it would. Thus, I support the court's decision even if not the way it expressed it. The President should have waited.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #694882
02/06/13 08:29 PM
02/06/13 08:29 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: olivant
I haven't read the decision Lilo, but the history of Article IV does lend itself somewhat to understanding the court's decision. I believe it was the Committee on Postponed Parts that composed the recess appointments provision of the Constitution. It was intended to allow the President the latitude to keep the federal government up and running when the Congress was not in session. That makes sense. Of course, it has evolved into a political maneuver which the Founding Fathers did not antiicpate that it would. Thus, I support the court's decision even if not the way it expressed it. The President should have waited.

You think this winds up in the Supreme Court eventually? Next year maybe?

Winter is Coming

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #694888
02/06/13 08:47 PM
02/06/13 08:47 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
It seems like he really took offense at her telling him adios. Maybe he thought she was mocking his accent or presuming familiarity. In any event it was a mistake on her part. I thought he overreacted a bit by doubling the bail. But of course the critical error on her part, besides possibly being high, was then cursing at the judge. Not a good idea. So the contempt charge was obvious.

I haven't had much reason to be in front of judges rolleyes but I don't like the idea of someone being able to double your bail because they didn't like that you said "adios". But those are the breaks. She will have 30 days to think about her mistakes.. whistle

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/did-you-say-f...cursing-at-him/

Winter is Coming

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Lilo] #694910
02/06/13 10:52 PM
02/06/13 10:52 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Lilo

You think this winds up in the Supreme Court eventually? Next year maybe?

Nope. Even if requested, I don't think allocatur would be granted.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Lilo] #694913
02/06/13 11:12 PM
02/06/13 11:12 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
It seems like he really took offense at her telling him adios. Maybe he thought she was mocking his accent or presuming familiarity. In any event it was a mistake on her part. I thought he overreacted a bit by doubling the bail. But of course the critical error on her part, besides possibly being high, was then cursing at the judge. Not a good idea. So the contempt charge was obvious.

I haven't had much reason to be in front of judges rolleyes but I don't like the idea of someone being able to double your bail because they didn't like that you said "adios". But those are the breaks. She will have 30 days to think about her mistakes.. whistle

Judges are given considerable discretion in imposing bail. Of course, there are state and federal constitutional provisions protecting defendants from excessive bail. I don't have a problem with her bail getting jacked up. She was showing complete disrespect during her appearance, and the adios remark was unduly flippant at best and a racial dig at worst. The court would have the discretion to increase bail for this.

To post bail, a defendant can hire a bondsman and pay a small percentage to him in exchange for the bondsman's promise to pay bail if the defendant fails to appear, so in reality the bail increase would have likely cost her a couple hundred bucks more, or perhaps nothing if hr parents had property in the county they could post.

But with the contempt sentence it is best that she not post bail for 30 days because she's still going to sit in jail anyway. As long as she doesn't post bail she's eligible to have her contempt time also act as as time served for the underlying criminal offense.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #694976
02/07/13 02:07 AM
02/07/13 02:07 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

9-year-old gives birth in Mexico; police search for teenage father
The Associated Press
February 6, 2013

MEXICO CITY - Authorities say a nine-year-old girl has given birth in western Mexico and they are looking for the purported father, a 17-year-old.

Jalisco state police spokesman Lino Gonzalez says the baby girl was born last week at a hospital in the city of Guadalajara. He says the girl and her baby are doing well.

Gonzalez said Wednesday that the girl's family alerted authorities after she gave birth and the alleged father has not been seen since in the neighbourhood they both live in.

He says that if the teenager's paternity is proven he could face child sex abuse charges.

Gonzalez says the girl told authorities the teenager was her boyfriend.

http://news.yahoo.com/9-old-gives-birth-mexico-police-search-teenage-050429720.html

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Lilo] #695042
02/07/13 12:50 PM
02/07/13 12:50 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

She deserved it, Lilo. 18 years old. No damn respect at all. The only consolation is that everyone knows exactly what this kid's life will look like in ten years. And she will have done it to herself.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #695072
02/07/13 02:02 PM
02/07/13 02:02 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
I have observed courtroom activities on many occasions. That is the forum in which a well ordered environment is important and that starts with the court's judge. In almost every case, it is the defendant's demeanor that disrupts the order and impugns the integrity of that forum. Incarceration and bail are really the only tools a judge has to effectively control defendant behavior. Many times (maybe most times) someone ends up as a defendant because of their lack of respect for moral and man-made law.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #695079
02/07/13 02:25 PM
02/07/13 02:25 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
Oli don't you see court proceedings as something akin to Kabuki theater? I mean basically the lawyers are the writera, directors, producers and actors. The witnesses are performers, and they tend to ad lib their way into trouble or out of it in totally unpreictable ways no matter how well prepared they are. The judge is a referee/parental figure. And all the time the "performance" is governed by very rigid rules by which the show goes on... rules of evidence, rules of procedure, standing up at the right time, asking permission to apprach the witness, etc.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: dontomasso] #695090
02/07/13 03:39 PM
02/07/13 03:39 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
While your description of the participants is fairly representative, I don't agree that it is theater. As long as our justice system is adversarial, its protagonists will need to maneuver through it to achieve the desired outcome.

In Texas alone we have 254 counties each of which has at least one felony court (and God knows how many inferior courts). Thus, we have about 450 felony courts. When one considers the range of varying characteristics, training, experiece, and eduction that accrue to all of those prosecutors, defense attorneys, judges, witnesses and defendants, it's a wonder that there is any continuity in our justice system. Of course, due process and trial procedure are subject to variations, interpretations, etc., so the outcomes are likely to vary.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #695944
02/11/13 10:22 PM
02/11/13 10:22 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Kly, the LA DA has issued an arrest warrant for Dorner that allows him to be arrested anywhere and without bail. Why? Arrest warrants are serviceable anywhere, aren't they? Also, bail is a function of arraignment correct?

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #695946
02/11/13 10:35 PM
02/11/13 10:35 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Speaking of Dorner, they STILL have not captured him. I heard earlier that a Home Depot(not sure where) received a tip of a possible Dorner citing. The swat team showed up at the store but no Dorner.

I wonder IF this guy could have killed himself?? If not, I seriously doubt he's in the Big Bear area.

smile
TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #696025
02/12/13 12:04 PM
02/12/13 12:04 PM
California

California
I just heard that Dorner (Psycho cop) purchased scuba equipment in Torrance (I think), CA. Hmmm He definitely planned this out. I'm sure we'll hear more but I think he's out of California by now.

smile

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 02/12/13 12:05 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #696083
02/12/13 03:55 PM
02/12/13 03:55 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Kly, the LA DA has issued an arrest warrant for Dorner that allows him to be arrested anywhere and without bail. Why? Arrest warrants are serviceable anywhere, aren't they? Also, bail is a function of arraignment correct?

Arrest warrants are serviceable anywhere, and if someone is arrested on a warrant from another jurisdiction, it's usually because the defendant was detained initially for some other reason, like a traffic ticket. My guess is that the arrest warrant, issued by LA County, is seeking to have neighboring jurisdictions and states play a more active role in apprehending him. The requirement about holding him without bail is superfluous if he is apprehended out of state as he would automatically have a detainer placed on him until extradition.

I don't think any jurisdiction would entertain a thought of imposing bail, which takes into account the risk of flight and safety to the public. Dorner scores big zeros on those factors, but the DA and LAPD are desperate and frightened.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #696236
02/13/13 01:21 AM
02/13/13 01:21 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
They now think he is dead, killed after being trapped in a cabin.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #697168
02/16/13 05:59 PM
02/16/13 05:59 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #697230
02/17/13 02:55 AM
02/17/13 02:55 AM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Dorner shot himself in the head before getting burned up in the fire.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #697720
02/19/13 01:40 PM
02/19/13 01:40 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
The beat goes on:

"Three people were killed and another wounded by a California gunman who went an on early morning spree of shooting and carjackings before he killed himself when confronted by police.

Police in Tustin, Calif., have yet to identify the shooter as they work several crime scenes where the gunman stole cars and shot at people using two rifles."

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #697721
02/19/13 01:47 PM
02/19/13 01:47 PM
California

California
The beat goes on:

"Three people were killed and another wounded by a California gunman who went an on early morning spree of shooting and carjackings before he killed himself when confronted by police.

Police in Tustin, Calif., have yet to identify the shooter as they work several crime scenes where the gunman stole cars and shot at people using two rifles."

Oli,

I'm just tuning in to the local news. Sounds like he hijacked several cars, 2 people shot. I use to live in Tustin and it's not far from me. News conference to start shortly. I wonder what the heck his motive was? confused

TIS

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #697902
02/19/13 10:13 PM
02/19/13 10:13 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Where was Pizzaboy this weekend? This cemetery is in his neighborhood....Actually, my paternal grandfather is buried there.

St. Raymond's Cemetery Robbed of $160,000 of Bronze

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #697918
02/19/13 10:53 PM
02/19/13 10:53 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
^^^they caught the guy

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #699965
02/26/13 06:11 PM
02/26/13 06:11 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
PITTSBURGH -- A pharmacist has been sentenced to 2½ years in federal prison after pleading guilty to helping a former Pittsburgh Steelers team doctor illegally distribute anabolic steroids in an investigation spun off from a national crackdown on the performance enhancing drugs.

William Sadowski, 47, of Robinson Township, pleaded guilty in November to conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute anabolic steroids and human growth hormones, or HGH, and was sentenced Tuesday by Senior U.S. District Judge Maurice Cohill Jr.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #701457
03/07/13 03:33 PM
03/07/13 03:33 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Kly and DT:

The jury in the Jodi Arias trial submitted almost 200 questions to the judge. I thought such a submission was only permitted during deliberations.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #702022
03/10/13 10:28 PM
03/10/13 10:28 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Kly and DT:

The jury in the Jodi Arias trial submitted almost 200 questions to the judge. I thought such a submission was only permitted during deliberations.

Arizona is one of the few jurisdictions that allow juries to submit questions to witnesses during the trial. As you know, examination and cross-examination are limited to trial counsel. Submitting so many questions is really a slap in the face of the prosecutor as it suggests that his cross of the defendant was deficient. Of course, any juror question is subject to the same evidentiary rules and either side may pose objections.

Juries in all jurisdictions may submit written questions to the judge while deliberating. The questions are reviewed with the attorneys in private and they discuss how the question will be answered before the jury is reassembled. Normally these questions involve matters of law outlined during the judge's jury instructions, such as "what are the elements of the crime" or "what is reasonable doubt."

In PA and many other jurisdiction when jurors ask questions about specific points of testimony, they are told to use their recollection to the best of their ability. Transcripts are not provided, nor are statements reread for this purpose.

I frankly don't favor allowing the jurors to ask direct questions of the witnesses as I don't think it is useful in the fact determining process. A prosecutor can and should sufficiently prepare examination questions to support his or her case in an organized fashion. Jurors, unschooled in the elements of particular crimes, are prone to inquire into matters, which may be irrelevant or unduly prejudicial.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #702029
03/10/13 10:55 PM
03/10/13 10:55 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Kly, don't you think that it also indicates the juries distrust of the defendant's testimony? Also, I quite object to jurors asking questions of witnesses for the reasons you cite.

By the way, when I was foreman of a murder jury, we sent a question to the judge asking him if we could ask a question. He said yes we could. The question was whether one of the witnesses had been sworn in.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #702042
03/10/13 11:34 PM
03/10/13 11:34 PM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania
Kly, don't you think that it also indicates the juries distrust of the defendant's testimony? Also, I quite object to jurors asking questions of witnesses for the reasons you cite.

By the way, when I was foreman of a murder jury, we sent a question to the judge asking him if we could ask a question. He said yes we could. The question was whether one of the witnesses had been sworn in.

It does. I saw a few of the juror questions of Arias, and actually thought she did as well as can be expected in answering them.

That was an interesting question your jury had. I would be interested in knowing the circumstances that led to the question being asked. I suppose there was some doubt about credibility.

Page 40 of 73 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 72 73

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull