GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 53 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,124
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,386
Posts1,059,749
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: fathersson] #699199
02/24/13 12:12 PM
02/24/13 12:12 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I remember first we had 2 channels and then 3. Not only that, after midnight or so, all you'd get is a test pattern. lol Of course there was the National Anthem that would start the morning off at what? 6:00 a.m.?

And remotes were not even heard of. uhwhat You had to get your ass up off the couch if you wanted to change the channel. lol

Probably getting off-topic here, BUT if there was a movie you were dying to see, you'd wait til it came on tv and if you missed it.....you had to wait for it to come on again.

Yea, we've come a long way baby!!!!! wink

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #699212
02/24/13 01:46 PM
02/24/13 01:46 PM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA

Here in NJ at least, we had a rotor on the antenna so we can turn it toward either NYC or Philly to pick up different stations.

Our first remote came in the early 80s with cable, but it was attached with a chord (not wireless), and was almost the size of your lap with buttons on it.

My SIL just reposted this to Facebook this morning -- you've probably seen it before, but so true!
Quote:
Hilarious! Growing up without a cell phone

If you are 36, or older, you might think this is hilarious!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning.... Uphill... Barefoot... BOTH ways...yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!

But now that I'm over the ripe old age of forty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today. You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my childhood, you live in a damn Utopia! And I hate to say it, but you kids today, you don't know how good you've got it!

1) I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have the Internet. If we wanted to know something, we had to go to the damn library and look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!

2) There was no email!! We had to actually write somebody a letter - with a pen! Then you had to walk all the way across the street and put it in the mailbox, and it would take like a week to get there! Stamps were 10 cents!

3) Child Protective Services didn't care if our parents beat us. As a matter of fact, the parents of all my friends also had permission to kick our ass! Nowhere was safe!

4) There were no MP3's or Napsters or iTunes! If you wanted to steal music, you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself!

5) Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio, and the DJ would usually talk over the beginning and @#*% it all up! There were no CD players! We had tape decks in our car. We'd play our favorite tape and "eject" it when finished, and then the tape would come undone rendering it useless. Cause, hey, that's how we rolled, Baby! Dig?

6) We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you were on the phone and somebody else called, they got a busy signal, that's it!

7) There weren't any freakin' cell phones either. If you left the house, you just didn't make a damn call or receive one. You actually had to be out of touch with your "friends". OH MY GOSH !!! Think of the horror... not being in touch with someone 24/7!!! And then there's TEXTING. Yeah, right. Please! You kids have no idea how annoying you are.

8) And we didn't have fancy Caller ID either! When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was! It could be your school, your parents, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer, the collection agent... you just didn't know!!! You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

9) We didn't have any fancy PlayStation or Xbox video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics! We had the Atari 2600! With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'Asteroids'. Your screen guy was a little square! You actually had to use your imagination!!! And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen.. Forever! And you could never win. The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died! Just like LIFE!

10) You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!! NO REMOTES!!! Oh, no, what's the world coming to?!?!

11) There was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying? We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

12) And we didn't have microwaves. If we wanted to heat something up, we had to use the stove! Imagine that!

13) And our parents told us to stay outside and play... all day long. Oh, no, no electronics to soothe and comfort. And if you came back inside... you were doing chores!

And car seats - oh, please! Mom threw you in the back seat and you hung on. If you were lucky, you got the "safety arm" across the chest at the last moment if she had to stop suddenly, and if your head hit the dashboard, well that was your fault for calling "shot gun" in the first place!

See! That's exactly what I'm talking about! You kids today have got it too easy. You're spoiled rotten! You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1970 or any time before!

Regards,
The Over 40 Crowd

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: J Geoff] #699215
02/24/13 01:58 PM
02/24/13 01:58 PM
California

California
That is SO true Geoff. I remember those days well.

One of my favorite stories I'll always remember is from just a couple years ago when I was talking to my granddaughter (about 7 years old) on the phone. I asked her to hand phone to her mom on and she said "I can't. I'm talking on the phone with the "dangly thing." I found out after a few questions that she was using the phone on the fax machine. I mean she's never had to use a phone with a cord. lol

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: J Geoff] #699217
02/24/13 02:16 PM
02/24/13 02:16 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: J Geoff
Here in NJ at least, we had a rotor on the antenna so we can turn it toward either NYC or Philly to pick up different stations.

And that was the beginning of a New York wannabe.

My mother used to tell the story of when my parents first got tv. They had, literally, one of the first tv sets in the neighborhood. My dad actually built the set for one of his customers (a bar owner). The owner couldn't pay for the set so my dad took it back and kept it at home (this was before I was born but my sister and brother benefited from this). One night, my mother was doing her ironing and she had the tv on. It was around 11:00 at night and there was only one station broadcasting then (remember that this was around 1949 or so). My mom actually called up one of the tv stations and complained. She told them that her husband got a tv but there was nothing to watch (my mom lived for confrontations like that lol ). The station actually aired a movie right then and there for her!! (It was some Claude Rains movie but my mother didn't remember which movie it was in later years).

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #699220
02/24/13 02:27 PM
02/24/13 02:27 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

And remotes were not even heard of. uhwhat You had to get your ass up off the couch if you wanted to change the channel. lol

TIS

I remember my dad yelling at us because we would would spin that dial like it was a roulette wheel.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: olivant] #699224
02/24/13 02:34 PM
02/24/13 02:34 PM
California

California
Originally Posted By: olivant

TIS

I remember my dad yelling at us because we would would spin that dial like it was a roulette wheel.

Oh yea, I remember. TV Dials???? Thing of the past.

On another note, if we had tv problems, I remember my dad taking the panel off the back of the tv. He's look at the tubes and if one was burned out he'd take it off and send us to the local appliance store to buy a replacement. lol Geez, now try figuring out the insides of a tv?? panic Yes, those were simpler days weren't they?

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #699264
02/24/13 03:51 PM
02/24/13 03:51 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
We didn't get our first color TV until I was a teenager. My aunt and uncle bought it for us a housewarming gift when we left the Bronx and bought a house in the suburbs.

When I was little, my brothers (12 and 14 when I was born) had their own TV in their bedroom. It was a small black and white on a rolling stand. One of them fell asleep with it on. He was too lazy to get out bed to turn it off, so he tried to hit the off button with his foot. Unfortunately, he hit it a bit too hard and knocked the TV off the stand. The SOUND it made, my goodness! All those tubes inside shattered. He was in biiiiig trouble! lol

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #699280
02/24/13 04:09 PM
02/24/13 04:09 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Remember that warning on the back of the TV: if you remove this panel you will absolutely, right there and then be electrocuted to death.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: Sicilian Babe] #699281
02/24/13 04:13 PM
02/24/13 04:13 PM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
It is not just the picture any more...we are talking sound! surround sound with wireless speakers that are so small you don't even notice them, but it sounds like you are right there.

Watch auto racing an you feel like the cars are running thru your room, or a basketball game and your in the crowd cheering.

The colors are so real looking and the clear and sharp pictures get better and better with each new release.

Last edited by fathersson; 02/24/13 09:11 PM.

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #699378
02/24/13 08:01 PM
02/24/13 08:01 PM
In exile watching star wars an...
S
Skinny Offline
X
Skinny  Offline
X
S
Underboss
In exile watching star wars an...
Not even watching. Dont care.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #699379
02/24/13 08:11 PM
02/24/13 08:11 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Ronnie is probably having an orgasm

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #699382
02/24/13 08:18 PM
02/24/13 08:18 PM
On the toilet
EastHarlemItal Offline
BANNED
EastHarlemItal  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
On the toilet
Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
Ronnie is probably having an orgasm

Not yet, he's still in Ballett class!

"Because I'm the Boss"

Tony Salerno
Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #699384
02/24/13 08:21 PM
02/24/13 08:21 PM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
He probably dressed up put a corset in and a fake press sticker and is standing in plain view dressed like a women lol

Genovese Family."
Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #699385
02/24/13 08:22 PM
02/24/13 08:22 PM
On the toilet
EastHarlemItal Offline
BANNED
EastHarlemItal  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
On the toilet
Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
He probably dressed up put a corset in and a fake press sticker and is standing in plain view dressed like a women lol

JoeSchmo there reading from a Gay/ Bi/ Transexual pamphlet defending him!

"Because I'm the Boss"

Tony Salerno
Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #699398
02/24/13 09:31 PM
02/24/13 09:31 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: J Geoff

We had that too, on good days we'd pick up signals from different tv markets.

Originally Posted By: olivant

TIS

Oh yea, I remember. TV Dials???? Thing of the past.
On another note, if we had tv problems, I remember my dad taking the panel off the back of the tv. He's look at the tubes and if one was burned out he'd take it off and send us to the local appliance store to buy a replacement. lol Geez, now try figuring out the insides of a tv?? panic Yes, those were simpler days weren't they?

TIS

The young guys have no idea how it was back then before cable tv. You had ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS on the main dial and then depending where you lived a few more channels on UHF. And that UHF antenna was a real pain in the ass. After midnight there was rarely even anything on worth watching.

We got our first color tv in the late 1960's but before that it was strickly B&W for us. Me and my siblings used to fight over what we'd watch when we first got that RCA color tv, some brutal inter-family fights back then. mad

I remember those tubes very well too, my father would take them out and a few local stores had those tube testers back then where he'd check to see if they were dead or not.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: Giancarlo] #699399
02/24/13 09:36 PM
02/24/13 09:36 PM
California

California
Watching Seth McFarland on Oscars. OMG on the Chris Brown/Rhianna joke. uhwhat

Seth's song...:"We saw your boobs." lol

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 02/24/13 09:38 PM.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #699401
02/24/13 09:52 PM
02/24/13 09:52 PM
California

California
Don't know how long I'll be around to post, but it's early here and I'm watching Oscars

Supporting Actor

Alan Arkin - Argo
Robert DeNiro - Silver Lining Playbook
Phillip Seymour Hoffman - The Master
Tommy Lee Jones - Lincoln
Christoph Waltz - Django Unchained

WINNER: Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained)

smile

I'm guessing that was a surprise!

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 02/24/13 10:05 PM.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #699402
02/24/13 10:00 PM
02/24/13 10:00 PM
California

California
Best Animated feature film

Brave
Frankenweenie
ParaNorman
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Wreck-It Ralph

WINNER: BRAVE

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #699403
02/24/13 10:08 PM
02/24/13 10:08 PM
California

California
Cinematography

Anna Karenina, Seamus McGarvey
Django Unchained, Robert Richardson
Life of Pi, Claudio Miranda
Lincoln, Janusz Kaminski
Skyfall, Roger Deakins

WINNER: LIFE OF PI Also won for visual effects

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 02/24/13 10:11 PM.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #699417
02/24/13 11:31 PM
02/24/13 11:31 PM
California

California
Ok, I'm tuning in to a couple episodes of "Walking Dead." Oscars not all that good (I assume I'm not alone in that thought) tho I am curious as to best picture actor/actress.

smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #699419
02/24/13 11:44 PM
02/24/13 11:44 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline OP
ronnierocketAGO  Offline OP
R

East Tennessee
Even for Oscar standards (which is usually pretty low)...this show blows.

I did like how Adele had the orchestra and backing vocal choir and of course youth...and Shirley Bassey who's 76 years old was incredibly better, just by herself singing to a backing track.

Waltz winning Supporting Actor stunned the Internet, reading reactions. I figured Jones or DeNiro would win.

And how about that tie? We got a friggin Tie in one of the Sound categories.

EDIT - and BRAVE winning Best Animated Feature surprised me too.

Mots remarkable about that win was Brenda Chapman, one of the two credited directors, was fired from the movie by Pixar and replaced with Mark Andrews.

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 02/24/13 11:47 PM.
Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #699422
02/24/13 11:51 PM
02/24/13 11:51 PM
On the toilet
EastHarlemItal Offline
BANNED
EastHarlemItal  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
On the toilet
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

I did like how Adele had the orchestra and backing vocal choir and of course youth...and Shirley Bassey who's 76 years old was incredibly better, just by herself singing to a backing track.

Waltz winning Supporting Actor stunned the Internet, reading reactions. I figured Jones or DeNiro would win.

And how about that tie? We got a friggin Tie in one of the Sound categories.

EDIT - and BRAVE winning Best Animated Feature surprised me too.

Mots remarkable about that win was Brenda Chapman, one of the two credited directors, was fired from the movie by Pixar and replaced with Mark Andrews.

What's that your wearing tonight Ronnie?

"Because I'm the Boss"

Tony Salerno
Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #699428
02/25/13 12:14 AM
02/25/13 12:14 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York

...and Shirley Bassey who's 76 years old was incredibly better,

Bassey was incredibly awful.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: SC] #699429
02/25/13 12:17 AM
02/25/13 12:17 AM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Originally Posted By: SC

Adele needs to put down the fork do you agree SC?

Genovese Family."
Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #699430
02/25/13 12:20 AM
02/25/13 12:20 AM
California

California
I liked the beginning song/dance numbers (The Way You Look Tonight for one) but it got worse. Why is the Chicago 10 year anniversary so special? confused Then again, I'm picky with musicals. It's gotta be music I like.

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: SC] #699431
02/25/13 12:22 AM
02/25/13 12:22 AM
fathersson Offline
Underboss
fathersson  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: SC

OH, Come on...give me a break. For her age and how long ago that she sang that, she was great!

ONLY gun owners have the POWER to PROTECT and PRESERVE our FREEDOM.
"...it is their (the people's) right and duty to be at all times armed" - Thomas Jefferson, June 5, 1824

Everyone should read. "HOW TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD"

CAUTION: This Post has not been approved by Don Cardi.

You really don't expect people to believe your shit do you?

Read: "The Daily Apple"- Telling America and the Gangster BB like it really is!
Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #699432
02/25/13 12:25 AM
02/25/13 12:25 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Loved Jennifer Hudson, and the cast of Les Mis. And Zeta-Jones looked and sounded great. Chicago won for Best Picture that year (although it probably didn't deserve it), so I guess that makes it special this year.

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: Sicilian Babe] #699433
02/25/13 12:28 AM
02/25/13 12:28 AM
California

California
Tarantino gets "Best Original Screenplay" oscar.

smile

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #699436
02/25/13 12:35 AM
02/25/13 12:35 AM
California

California
Ang Lee gets "Best Director for "Life of Pi." Wow, is it possible that Lincoln WON'T get best picture? confused

TIS

Re: The Oscars / Awards Season [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #699438
02/25/13 12:40 AM
02/25/13 12:40 AM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I DVR'd it, so I'm a little bit behind everyone else. Just seeing Streisand. Damn, she still sounds good. How old is she now?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull