GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Irishman12), 244 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,438
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,508
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,336
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 91 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 90 91
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #665853
09/11/12 07:53 PM
09/11/12 07:53 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Somebody uploaded this quite decent movie, one of director Peter Hyams' better works. Pretty much HIGH NOON in Outer Space, but w/ 100% more exploding heads.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #665879
09/12/12 06:12 AM
09/12/12 06:12 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Watched Brad Pitt's baseball movie MONEYBALL last night. Very good, thoroughly enjoyed it!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #666605
09/18/12 02:15 PM
09/18/12 02:15 PM
New Orleans, LA
YukonCorneleone Offline
Wiseguy
YukonCorneleone  Offline
Wiseguy
New Orleans, LA
RR.....
LOVED Outland. One of my all time faves!

Saw Premium Rush the other night at theater
Good movie, well done and suspenseful
Go see Michael Shannon's (Agent Van Alden
from BE) performance. Spectacular!

"You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the
streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it."
----Mean Streets---

"Business bad? Fuck you, pay me. Oh, you had a fire? Fuck you
pay me. Place got hit by lightning huh? Fuck you, pay me. It was
beautiful!". ---Henry Hill in "Goodfellas"
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #667110
09/21/12 06:10 PM
09/21/12 06:10 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Saw DREDD, it was pretty good. This year's 4th comic book-based movie and the 4th good one, except thankfully a well-earned R-rated futuristic adventure that isn't made to please everybody or sell lunchboxes.

High octane entertaining B-action movie w/ streaks of humor from the one-liners and ultraviolence. Part DIRTY HARRY, part DIE HARD, part ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 and ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK (this movie feels John Carpenter-ish), with a subtly effective production/art design that won't get enough credit in giving you a sense of grim and (pun!) dread that a future this bad needs such a fascist police state to stem the problems of Mega City One (800 million in a super city the size of New England), and they're apparently not enough.

Not a great movie, but a good adaptation of the 2000 A.D. Comics with Karl Urban in a Clint Eastwood-inspired performance as the Judge Dredd that finally will hopefully erase memories of that lame Sylvester Stallone movie from back in the day.

I give this ***1/2 out of 5.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #667122
09/21/12 08:40 PM
09/21/12 08:40 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Saw Traffic the other day for the first time, it was very good.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Dapper_Don] #667128
09/21/12 10:19 PM
09/21/12 10:19 PM
MisterPurple Offline
Wiseguy
MisterPurple  Offline
Wiseguy
Watched Hard Eight just now. Great movie!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #667409
09/23/12 07:19 PM
09/23/12 07:19 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Last night I watched some of John Travolta's movie (which I never geard of) entitled Love from Paris (or something like that)in which he's a CIA agent. It was pretty good and so was he although bald headed. Give it a look.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: olivant] #667410
09/23/12 07:35 PM
09/23/12 07:35 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I saw that movie and almost watched it. LOL I ended up falling asleep. I did however watch a movie I hadn't heard of, with John Cusack and Morgan Freeman but can't think of the title. It was about a father/son out hiking and come across an assassin. Was pretty good. smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #669280
10/07/12 09:12 AM
10/07/12 09:12 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Taken 2.

The glorious thing about the first Taken was the hidden bada$$ery of Liam Neeson. Of course if you've ever seen Rob Roy, Gangs of New York, Les Miserables or Darkman this shouldn't have really been a surprise but unfortunately for the mental defectives in the first film they didn't see those movies. The first film had really good pacing. It communicated the frantic nature of Bryan Mills' search for his daughter Kim before she is sold off into Third World sex-slavery.

But in Taken 2, presumably everyone, including the half of the Albanian male population that Mills DIDN'T kill and his ex-wife and daughter, knows that Mills is not a man to be f***** with. Because if you mess with him or his family you will die. And if he has the time, you might die painfully.

So there's really no reason for the bad guys to try again and there is even less reason for them to do incredibly stupid stuff like not kill Mills immediately once they have kidnapped Mills and his ex-wife Lenore.

If you were determined to keep Mills alive for a while that would be dumb.
At the very least since you know that he is very resourceful, incredibly dangerous, and has a downright mean streak, wouldn't you keep him under 24 hr armed guard, search him thoroughly, bind him with iron and steel instead of plastic or rope and just to be on the safe side, cripple him to forestall any escape attempts? I mean what are they teaching in Evil Overlord Boot Camp these days?

Also I will have to go back and watch the first Taken but I don't seem to remember Maggie Grace either being as curvy or showing as much flesh. Not that I'm complaining rolleyes but it's impossible to believe that she's 16 years old. Again, since both his ex-wife and daughter know what he does , it makes no sense for them to insist on questioning his directives while people are shooting at them or saying they can't do what he tells them to do or falling into hysteria, which is most of what they do throughout the film.

Lots of stupid people get shot in the head. The end.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: olivant] #669323
10/07/12 05:14 PM
10/07/12 05:14 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Not seen TAKEN 2 yet, but I'll be honest I'm pretty certain that as action movies go, it won't as good as DREDD was. (TAKEN 2 will make a fortune, DREDD unfortunately tanked in theatres.)

And well shit, somebody online agreed with me.

Do Yourself a Favor and See Dredd 3D Instead of Taken 2

Quote:
Pushing for a truce near Taken 2's end, Bryan Mills tells his adversary, "I am tired of it all." Yeah, and you feel it in every second of his dull movie. Dredd 3D, meanwhile, barely stops to take a breath - and when it does it's because it's so fucked up, an astonishingly massive garbage truck high on its own fumes.

http://gawker.com/5949128/do-yourself-a-favor-and-see-dredd-3d-instead-of-taken-2

Originally Posted By: olivant
Last night I watched some of John Travolta's movie (which I never geard of) entitled Love from Paris (or something like that)in which he's a CIA agent. It was pretty good and so was he although bald headed. Give it a look.

I saw that too, I liked it as a good afternoon killer. (Travolta camping up as the ultimate "Ugly American" was good fun.)

That was another movie produced (and co-written) by Luc Besson, the French filmmaker who's become probably king of the B-action movies, low/modest budgets and usually taking place in Europe. His credits range from the TRANSPORTER series to the TAKEN movies to even LOCKOUT w/ Guy Pearce which came out earlier this year.

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 10/07/12 05:20 PM.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #669796
10/11/12 05:31 AM
10/11/12 05:31 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Went to the cinema the other day to see KILLING THEM SOFTLY, the new Brad Pitt gig. Very good show i have to say, with star turns from Mr. Gandolofini, Mr. Liotta and Vincent Curatola also!!

Worth seeing, most definitely.

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #672688
10/28/12 03:11 PM
10/28/12 03:11 PM
California

California
Anyone else watch HBO's "The Girl" a story about Alfred Hitchcock's filming of The Birds and the obsession he had with it's star, Tippi Hedron? He comes off as very strange and kind of creepy in this film.

I am still watching but apparently when they filmed the scene of her in the attic and being attacked by the birds, she was told it would take a day to film and turned out to be 76 or so days. Hitchcock seemed to be just pushing & pushing. Plus, Hitch didn't tell her there would be mostly real birds (along with mechanical) in that scene.

I forgot she also took a movie part in Hitchock's "Marnie". She must have been a glutton for punishment. LOL

smile

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 10/28/12 03:17 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #672728
10/28/12 06:26 PM
10/28/12 06:26 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I watched "Gone With The Wind" tonight for the first time, truly an epic film and i can see why this is one of the greatest films ever made, but geez it's on a long time 3hrs and 45 mins smile .. Vivien Leigh's performance is amazing and is up there with the best of all time..

Last edited by DE NIRO; 10/28/12 06:27 PM.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #672755
10/28/12 08:30 PM
10/28/12 08:30 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
It's one of my favorites, DeNiro! With the exception of Leslie Howard's British accent, the entire cast was just incredible. I especially loved Aunt Pittypat.

Did you realize that one of the Tarleton twins (they were on the front porch of Tara with Scarlett in the beginning of the film) is George Reeves, who later went on to play TV's Superman?

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #672855
10/29/12 08:13 AM
10/29/12 08:13 AM
Queenstown, New Zealand
NickyScarfo Offline
Underboss
NickyScarfo  Offline
Underboss
Queenstown, New Zealand
Just saw that Dredd film it sucked big time. Note to Hollywood directors, just because you have 3D doesn't mean we have to see stupid scenes to highlight this technology, I didn't need to see a minute of a woman in slo motion splashing water out of a bath.
Also 3D should not mean you disregard screenplay, acting and hell a half decent script! Terminator this ain't.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: NickyScarfo] #673158
10/30/12 08:16 PM
10/30/12 08:16 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: NickyScarfo
Just saw that Dredd film it sucked big time. Note to Hollywood directors, just because you have 3D doesn't mean we have to see stupid scenes to highlight this technology, I didn't need to see a minute of a woman in slo motion splashing water out of a bath.
Also 3D should not mean you disregard screenplay, acting and hell a half decent script! Terminator this ain't.
Pete Travis isn't a 'Hollywood' director, he's British, as is the film's scriptwriter Alex Garland (The Beach, 28 Days Later..., Never Let Me Go). 2000AD, the comic in which the Judge Dredd character appears, is also British.

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 10/30/12 08:17 PM.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: NickyScarfo] #673159
10/30/12 08:22 PM
10/30/12 08:22 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Capo, what did you think of DREDD?

Originally Posted By: NickyScarfo

Who the fuck said this was TERMINATOR? More like a John Carpenter-esque remake of DIE HARD, which is a compliment not a criticism.

A movie where a fascist cop shoots a flare into a perp's mouth can't be bad in my book.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Sicilian Babe] #673161
10/30/12 08:26 PM
10/30/12 08:26 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Did you ever see Nighthawks, with Stallone, Billy Dee Williams and Hauer? Hauer plays a very mean and scary "terrorist" and Williams and Stallone are the NYPD after him. Typical 1980s cop vs. bad guy, but there are some very good performances that elevate it a bit. Anyway, it's decent entertainment.

Edit: I almost forgot, but Willy Cicci is in it, too, as the police lieutenant.
That's a decent film; you can view it in seven parts here, on YouTube. It's under-known as far as I can tell; in the UK especially, "Nighthawks" refers more popularly to this film.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #673164
10/30/12 08:32 PM
10/30/12 08:32 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
Capo, what did you think of DREDD?
I liked it overall. Thoughts: jump down to the text that follows the Dredd image.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #673169
10/30/12 08:49 PM
10/30/12 08:49 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
I liked it overall. Thoughts: jump down to the text that follows the Dredd image.

Good reviews mate.

Yeah I enjoyed DREDD too, which of the comic book movies this year might just be the most perfect and honest, least pretentious/bloated of the bunch. Not necessarily the best or the one I enjoyed the most, but DREDD rocks.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #685963
12/29/12 06:57 AM
12/29/12 06:57 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
DJANGO UNCHAINED

Tarantino has an eye for cinematic mayhem so it's not surprising that he would make a film set during slavery. I was surprised that he made one that was so darkly humorous and ultimately touching. I don't think that Tarantino does "message" films. So this is not some profound deeply moving serious film with slow reveals, silent screams and classical music that ponderously swells at just the right moment to bring audience tears. There are no long speeches aimed at the mentally slow explaining why slavery is bad. I think Tarantino considers that far too obvious to mention.

There is a tremendous amount of violence in this film and some brief nudity. Obviously, racial slurs and profanity abound. This is not a film for children. Blood spurts and flows. There are a few broadly comedic killings. You really have to see the film to understand what I mean by this last statement. You kinda had to be there and I wouldn't care to spoil it for you.

This movie touches the same core American cinematic themes of protecting your family, standing up for yourself and getting some righteous payback that animated such movies as Shane, Death Wish, True Grit, The Brave One, Rambo, Taken, Braveheart, Death Sentence, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Sons of Katie Elder, and virtually any 80s Steven Seagal flick. The only difference in Django Unchained is that the good guy (well the main good guy anyway) is black while almost all the bad guys are white. This is really unusual for American cinema. This is a perfect antidote to Lost Cause nostalgia that suffuses so many movies about this time period.

If you are looking for a sober searing movie, this is not that film.
If you enjoy action and heroics this is a remarkably entertaining movie. Foxx really inhabits the titular role while Waltz shines in a strong supporting role. Leonardo DiCaprio and Samuel Jackson star as villains. Good stuff. A little long but worthwhile.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #686054
12/29/12 05:10 PM
12/29/12 05:10 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
I do enjoy Tarantino and was looking forward to this film, but was unsure if we should see it. Thanks for the review, Lilo. Although it was nominated for some Golden Globes, most of the reviews I read have been mixed.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Sicilian Babe] #693051
01/27/13 01:57 PM
01/27/13 01:57 PM
California

California
Anyone else ever see the movie "Eagle Eye" with Shia Labeouf? It's been on TV quite a bit. It's getting to be one of the movies (Like GF, Shawshank Redemption, Die Hard and others) that I always have to tune in to watch at least part of it. Anyway, good movie IMHO. I really don't even remember when it was out at the theaters. Maybe it wasn't a huge hit but I liked it. I also liked him in a Rear Window variation (loosely) in "Disturbia." smile

Also, I started to watch also, on HBO last night, "Contraband" with Mark Wahlberg. I fell asleep halfway thru but not because I didn't like it. It was just late. I intend to watch the rest later today. Anyway, not too bad a movie so far.

TIS

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #693070
01/27/13 03:38 PM
01/27/13 03:38 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I liked Eagle Eye and Contraband. I think Contraband is the better film.

Winter is Coming

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Lilo] #693077
01/27/13 05:11 PM
01/27/13 05:11 PM
California

California
Good movie day. Now watching the remake of "Taking of Pelham 123. Tony Soprano, Mayor of the city? lol

TIS

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #693087
01/27/13 07:36 PM
01/27/13 07:36 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
Good movie day. Now watching the remake of "Taking of Pelham 123. Tony Soprano, Mayor of the city? lol

TIS

I much prefer the original with Matthau and Shaw. The remake (another forgettable entry in the latter days of the late Tony Scott) to me just feels like on the level of a big budget TV episode. It's not a bad film, but I can't say I was intrigued or engaged or excited beyond the level I would hold for a basic TV action/thriller episode.

And that's my smug observation for the day.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #693089
01/27/13 09:14 PM
01/27/13 09:14 PM
California

California
Hi RR,

You know I don't think I ever saw the original Pelham 123 believe or not. It probably IS better. As history shows usually the originals are the best.

Btw, I'm seeing previews of a new "Hansel & Gretal" movie. Sounds like a real scary twist no? lol

TIS

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: J Geoff] #693092
01/27/13 09:29 PM
01/27/13 09:29 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
I also never saw the original Pelham 123, I thought the remake was good in its own right.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: Dapper_Don] #693095
01/27/13 09:36 PM
01/27/13 09:36 PM
California

California
I can't say I'm a huge Travolta fan but he plays a real good asshole. lol

TIS

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion, Part III [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #693096
01/27/13 09:40 PM
01/27/13 09:40 PM
California

California
Oh, and speaking of bad guys, you know who else played a great bad guy/villian? Dennis Hopper. I thought he was great in Speed. Gosh, I remember him way way back as an "Easy Rider." lol

TIS

Page 6 of 91 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 90 91

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull