GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,123
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,385
Posts1,059,733
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappear. [Re: azguy] #687484
01/03/13 04:32 PM
01/03/13 04:32 PM
On the toilet
EastHarlemItal Offline
BANNED
EastHarlemItal  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
On the toilet
Originally Posted By: azguy
To me it's Ali, hands down. Moved like a butterfly and stung like a bee.

My favorite fighter though was Marvin Hagler...

Hagler was a Brockton guy too? Ali like Ted Williams missed his best years!

"Because I'm the Boss"

Tony Salerno
Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappear. [Re: Avellino] #687486
01/03/13 04:39 PM
01/03/13 04:39 PM
A
azguy Offline
Underboss
azguy  Offline
A
Underboss
Yes, Marvin was from Brockton. One of his managers may have been a made guy, I just uncovered that last week..It was in Gravano's senate testimony about LCN and boxing.

"In onore della Famiglia la Famiglia e' aperta"
Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappear. [Re: Avellino] #687491
01/03/13 04:42 PM
01/03/13 04:42 PM
On the toilet
EastHarlemItal Offline
BANNED
EastHarlemItal  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
On the toilet
Patranelli Brothers? Ive got a picture of them running with Marvin on Rt 6 I believe! Cape Cod somewhere anyway! Marvin jogged with Army boots on!

"Because I'm the Boss"

Tony Salerno
Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappear. [Re: Avellino] #687494
01/03/13 04:57 PM
01/03/13 04:57 PM
A
azguy Offline
Underboss
azguy  Offline
A
Underboss
Yes, my Dad drove a truck and would see him running a lot. There was an article written in SI years and years ago that detailed his training schedule.

He like to fight in the early spring and him an his team would go to Province Town, at the tip of the Cape, and take the whole hotel over. It was closed in the winters anyway and Marvin would only allow about a half dozen guys to go out there with him. He ran 12 miles a day on the beach in deep sand with those same army boots and rumor is he ran 6 miles forward and 6 backwards.

He would shuttle in sparing partners a week at time and they used the ballroom to set up the ring. It was total solitude and got him in the right frame of mind.

I also heard that he shaved his head about a week before the fight so by the time he got in the ring it would be just grown in enough that it was like sandpaper and he would rake his head across your chest during fights, lol...

I read somewhere that the Rocky to Siberia idea was taken from Marvin training out in P-town.

"In onore della Famiglia la Famiglia e' aperta"
Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappea [Re: Avellino] #687497
01/03/13 05:02 PM
01/03/13 05:02 PM
Scotland
Camarel Offline
Underboss
Camarel  Offline
Underboss
Scotland
Hagler vs Hearns is one of the best fights i've ever seen even though it only went 4 rounds. I also believe Marvin was robbed of the decision against Sugar Ray Leonard

Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappea [Re: Camarel] #687499
01/03/13 05:05 PM
01/03/13 05:05 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Skinny
Where is/was Andy's?

116th Street and Second Avenue. I ate there with my Dad just about every Friday afternoon for almost thirty years (EHI already knows this).

I grew up in the Bronx, 187th and Hoffman, but my Dad grew up in East Harlem, Pleasant Avenue, between 117th and 118th. My grandparents lived in that building from the day they arrived in this country until the day each of them died, almost 70 years! So I know the area well, and I feel like I grew up there myself. When my grandmother died in 1991, she was already one of the last Italian born women in the neighborhood.

Re Rao's: Overrated. I've posted this before, but I've eaten there twice and it was no great shakes. Family style NYC Italian. Nothing you can't get at Dominick's in the Bronx or Bamonte's in Brooklyn for half the price (not to mention that you can just walk right into those places).

Re Changing neighborhoods: No one who grew up in a cold water tenement walk up (like I did) would want the same for their children. Anyone who posts otherwise is just being a sentimentalist who obviously grew up in the suburbs. Italian American assimilation is a good thing.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappea [Re: Avellino] #687500
01/03/13 05:08 PM
01/03/13 05:08 PM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
these greatest fighter debates divider people as much as politics. marciano was great in his day, but if i'm being honest, i think a prime hopkins as well as a slew of other fighters from middleweight to light-heavy would have their way with him. different eras, and as much as i hate to say it rocky was not much more than a 1-dimensional slugger who happened to be around at a time when the competition was almost laughable. he was very tough, and had great heart however!

Last edited by Five_Felonies; 01/03/13 05:09 PM.

It's either blue cheese with wings or go fuck yer mudda!
Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappea [Re: Five_Felonies] #687502
01/03/13 05:11 PM
01/03/13 05:11 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
You guys should move this to the boxing thread before it gets out of hand wink smile.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappea [Re: pizzaboy] #687504
01/03/13 05:19 PM
01/03/13 05:19 PM
In exile watching star wars an...
S
Skinny Offline
X
Skinny  Offline
X
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Where is/was Andy's?

116th Street and Second Avenue. I ate there with my Dad just about every Friday afternoon for almost thirty years (EHI already knows this).

I grew up in the Bronx, 187th and Hoffman, but my Dad grew up in East Harlem, Pleasant Avenue, between 117th and 118th. My grandparents lived in that building from the day they arrived in this country until the day each of them died, almost 70 years! So I know the area well, and I feel like I grew up there myself. When my grandmother died in 1991, she was already one of the last Italian born women in the neighborhood.

Re Rao's: Overrated. I've posted this before, but I've eaten there twice and it was no great shakes. Family style NYC Italian. Nothing you can't get at Domimick's in the Bronx or Bamonte's in Brooklyn for half the price (not to mention that you can just walk right into those places).

Re Changing neighborhoods: No one who grew up in a cold water tenement walk up (like I did) would want the same for their children. Anyone who posts otherwise is just being a sentimentalist who obviously grew up in the suburbs. Italian American assimilation is a good thing.

Thanks for the responce Pizzaboy. Never eaten at Dominicks, been to Bamonte's when i was younger, honestly I dont remember much about the food haha. Who was that rapper who did a video outside Bamontes? It was one of those Mob Rappers from the bronx? I laughed my ass off when i saw that, Tony R was probably still in prison when they shot that or it never would have been there! LOL!

Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappea [Re: Avellino] #687507
01/03/13 05:29 PM
01/03/13 05:29 PM
On the toilet
EastHarlemItal Offline
BANNED
EastHarlemItal  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
On the toilet
PB is spot on to what's happened here! There's only about a 1000 Italian/ Americans left. And a handful of Italian born, those who are are ancient!
As far as food La Corsa is excellent, on a E110th by Park!

Assimilation is great, however someone had to stay behind and collect the rents!

"Because I'm the Boss"

Tony Salerno
Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappea [Re: Skinny] #687508
01/03/13 05:30 PM
01/03/13 05:30 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Who was that rapper who did a video outside Bamontes? It was one of those Mob Rappers from the bronx? I laughed my ass off when i saw that, Tony R was probably still in prison when they shot that or it never would have been there! LOL!

I have no earthly idea. I'm 53 years old. I don't really remember many rappers after the Sugarhill Gang lol.

But as far as Bamonte's goes, more cops and politicians eat there today than mob guys. I still live in the Bronx, but I get out that way once in awhile, and I've personally seen Ray Kelly (the NYC police commissioner) there twice. The Bamonte family is as straight as an arrow. No one is telling them who can and can not film there or, more importantly, eat there wink.

Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappea [Re: EastHarlemItal] #687510
01/03/13 05:32 PM
01/03/13 05:32 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: EastHarlemItal

Great pizza wink smile.

Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappea [Re: pizzaboy] #687511
01/03/13 05:35 PM
01/03/13 05:35 PM
On the toilet
EastHarlemItal Offline
BANNED
EastHarlemItal  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
On the toilet

Great pizza wink smile.

Yes they do! They also make meat balls the way your suppose to. With Veal! They don't try and get fancy either! It's straight up good old Grandma Italian food! PB did you know they did the Giglo festival meal last year! You know, the one where you carry a 50,000 pound statue for a meal and bragging rights!

"Because I'm the Boss"

Tony Salerno
Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappea [Re: Avellino] #687512
01/03/13 05:36 PM
01/03/13 05:36 PM
S
Skinny Offline
X
Skinny  Offline
X
S
Underboss
Ill have to find the link... That shit cracks me up! I wanna say his name is "G-Fella" or "G-Fellas" or some thing. Artist and producer of the new hit single "That's MOB"...lol lol

Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappea [Re: EastHarlemItal] #687513
01/03/13 05:38 PM
01/03/13 05:38 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
PB did you know they did the Giglo festival meal last year! You know, the one where you carry a 50,000 pound statue for a meal and bragging rights!

My father's on the board, you pineapple lol.

http://www.eastharlemgiglio.com/

Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappea [Re: pizzaboy] #687514
01/03/13 05:40 PM
01/03/13 05:40 PM
On the toilet
EastHarlemItal Offline
BANNED
EastHarlemItal  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
On the toilet
PB did you know they did the Giglo festival meal last year! You know, the one where you carry a 50,000 pound statue for a meal and bragging rights!

My father's on the board, you pineapple lol.

http://www.eastharlemgiglio.com/

Shit forgot! No wonder they got the job! Tell him I'm on the DL again this year! Thanks for the link! Didnt even realize it was that big of a deal! But let's be candid, with all the new inventions why can't they get a lighter statue! That thing is ridiculas! Summer of '91 was the rebirth? I think '91 anyway

"Because I'm the Boss"

Tony Salerno
Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappea [Re: Avellino] #687515
01/03/13 05:45 PM
01/03/13 05:45 PM
On the toilet
EastHarlemItal Offline
BANNED
EastHarlemItal  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
On the toilet
PB what was the priests name? Farano or Rafaro? You need to help me win a bet! Got an idiot with me that is doubting my memory!

"Because I'm the Boss"

Tony Salerno
Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappea [Re: EastHarlemItal] #687516
01/03/13 05:46 PM
01/03/13 05:46 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
But let's be candid, with all the new inventions why can't they get a lighter statue! That thing is ridiculas!

Because Italians are superstitious. They think a lighter statue would doom us all to hell lol.

Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappea [Re: pizzaboy] #687518
01/03/13 05:48 PM
01/03/13 05:48 PM
On the toilet
EastHarlemItal Offline
BANNED
EastHarlemItal  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
On the toilet
But let's be candid, with all the new inventions why can't they get a lighter statue! That thing is ridiculas!

Because Italians are superstitious. They think a lighter statue would doom us all to hell lol.

It's really probably true! Tell the old man I want my Tee Shirt this year! Haven't had one in a few years. When I asked that Greaseball LoBosco told me "say a prayer to St Anthony to find it for you" he's still crying over poor Claudio having to move!

"Because I'm the Boss"

Tony Salerno
Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappea [Re: pizzaboy] #687555
01/03/13 08:33 PM
01/03/13 08:33 PM
cheech Offline
Underboss
cheech  Offline
Underboss
Where is/was Andy's?

Re Rao's: Overrated. I've posted this before, but I've eaten there twice and it was no great shakes. Family style NYC Italian. Nothing you can't get at Dominick's in the Bronx or Bamonte's in Brooklyn for half the price (not to mention that you can just walk right into those places).

amen...I wish my grandfather can see me now, he came to this country with nothing and his grandchildren made a great life, we achieved the american dream...good post PizzaBoy, you nailed it

Last edited by cheech; 01/03/13 08:34 PM.

When Interpol?
Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappear. [Re: EastHarlemItal] #687685
01/04/13 08:56 AM
01/04/13 08:56 AM
Your Mom's House
Jimmy_Two_Times Offline
Underboss
Jimmy_Two_Times  Offline
Underboss
Your Mom's House
Read Burt Sugars Boxing Encylopedia! Sugar ranks by weight, however he's at the top. Dundee has stated it several times, he had a soft spot for Ali, however he also stated pound for pound Marchiano was the best FIGHTER. This is a personal opinion argument. For my money I take Marchiano and his punch. Let me ask a question, you say the division wasnt that competitive! Was the Rocky's fault?

Love boxing debates... I loved the fighting style of Marciano the way he always fought hard start to finish and won alot of fights when he was behind on points with knockouts... but Sugar Ray Robinson was amazing...the amount of fights he fought, his longevity, and the way he fought makes him truly unique and definitely in the upper echelon of boxing royalty...

Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappear. [Re: Parisi] #687690
01/04/13 09:21 AM
01/04/13 09:21 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted By: Parisi
Originally Posted By: Toodoped
Today is the Coffee Shop/Restaurant and Parking Space era.
"And it's not just the money. It's a pride thing. All our food: pizza, calzone, buffalo moozarell', olive oil. These f----s had nothin'. They ate pootsie before we gave them the gift of our cuisine. But this, this is the worst. This expresso shit."

Nicely put!Paulie 'Walnuts' one of my favorite characters.Btw cant stand these coffie shop/restaurants or whatever they are...what happend to goin to the big time restaurants placed out of the neighbourhoods,even the clubs are dyin cuz of these locals.They work day and night non stop.First i gotta pass 10 of these locals,all placed one to another and than i can enter my building entrance and in the evening its realy freaky..underage drunk girls are puking infront of the elevator so in the morning when i get out for work i just sliiide away to my car whistle

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappear. [Re: Avellino] #687694
01/04/13 09:51 AM
01/04/13 09:51 AM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
It's not about Italian neighborhoods disappearing so much as it's the degeneration of the family as a whole. Times changed and families aren't as close as they used to be. Everybody's off doing their own thing, coming and going in the house at different times. It's not the 50's anymore no matter what nationality you are.

This is true in Italy too. Families aren't quite they way they used to be over there anymore either. They're not as close as they used to be.

And as far as these coffee houses go...again, in Sicily, that's all you see. They're called Coffee Bars. You pick up an espresso and biscotti, sit, bullshit and leave.
Like Americans sit in bars to drink

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappear. [Re: carmela] #687717
01/04/13 11:51 AM
01/04/13 11:51 AM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Im not talkin about thouse traditional coffee houses,where usualy ppl sit down at day time,have a coffe and leave and after a while the cofee house close up.Im talkin about locals that at day time they r ordenery coffe houses but at night they become bars with live band performances and thousands of teenagers.The best joke is that on front door of the local says "No Booze for ppl under 18" and i only see 15-16 year old drunk kids,givin me tuff looks lol

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappear. [Re: Avellino] #688292
01/06/13 11:36 AM
01/06/13 11:36 AM
boston/north end
Joerusso Offline
consigleire
Joerusso  Offline
consigleire
Underboss
boston/north end
In boston most of the italian neighborhoods o the old is moved to the north shore peabody middleton danvers etc the whole route 1 and all the irish from southie townies even dorchester moved south shore quincy wemouth duxbury brintree they just got away everett revere malden eastie roxbury north end was filled all ilalians not forget about ir nothing but colored folks latins cape verdeans its crazy and brockton always had a big italian prensence still do but far from being as tight as it used too....hey roxbury where my grandpa lived his whole area dudley st was ilalians up and down now be lucky to find one italian in roxbury lol but long lives the socail club lmaol unbelievable

raymond l.s.patrairca sr to u.s. state committee- " if i didnt have my case coming up ill to come back in here with two gentlemen and when this is over with and really lay down the law, yous guys been giving me nothing but alot of hookwhick and i wish i wasnt on trial and have this case and really tell the united states whats going on "
Jerry Anguilo on wartime with winter hill - " If we got to war we got Joe Russo and the maverick boys so we have nothing to worry about they can go to vietnam and come back untouched "
Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappear. [Re: Avellino] #688428
01/06/13 08:57 PM
01/06/13 08:57 PM
Bamboo Lounge
NickyEyes1 Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
NickyEyes1  Offline
Hawks Bears Bulls Sox
Underboss
Bamboo Lounge
what area in NYC has the highest Italian population today?
And were some neighborhoods in NYC in the 40s-60s 100% Italian?

Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappear. [Re: Avellino] #688480
01/06/13 11:52 PM
01/06/13 11:52 PM
S
SharpieOne Offline
Button
SharpieOne  Offline
S
Button
Country Club Bronx, still very Italian. And to a lesser extent, so is Pelham Manor, Throgs Neck, and PARTS of Morris Park.

South Shore of Staten Island.

Howard Beach and South Ozone Park in Queens.

Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappear. [Re: Avellino] #688482
01/07/13 12:19 AM
01/07/13 12:19 AM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
You ever learn in History Class the "White Flight"

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappear. [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #688485
01/07/13 12:48 AM
01/07/13 12:48 AM
On the toilet
EastHarlemItal Offline
BANNED
EastHarlemItal  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
On the toilet
Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
You ever learn in History Class the "White Flight"

Good point! Most feel it started after WW2! Call it '46 by the time they got back,setlled got there GI paperwork in!

"Because I'm the Boss"

Tony Salerno
Re: Very sad to see Italian neighborhoods disappear. [Re: Avellino] #688486
01/07/13 01:08 AM
01/07/13 01:08 AM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Plus alot of Italians and other Non-Italians rented out their homes section 8!!! Cha-Ching!

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull