GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Mafia101, Malavita, Jimmy_Two_Times), 562 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,081
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,373
Posts1,059,537
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal #669963
10/11/12 09:38 PM
10/11/12 09:38 PM
AntonioRotolo Offline OP
Button
AntonioRotolo  Offline OP
Button
Everyone thinks that the Ndrangheta Calabrese organization is killin off the Rizzuto Sicilian organization and lemme tell you that there's a huge fact your all missing.
MOST OF THE TOP GUYS IN RIZZUTO'S FAMILY ARE CALABRESE.
Tony Mucci-Calabrese
Francesco Arcadi-Calabrese
Francesco Del Balso_Calabrese
Moreno Gallo-Calabrese
Only probably Rocco Sollectio, Lorenzo Giordano, the Renda's and Rizzuto's are Siciliani. E Basta! It's not too hard for a Siderno take over when half the organization is from there.
Just a fact I wanted to point out.

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: AntonioRotolo] #669970
10/11/12 09:56 PM
10/11/12 09:56 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Easy tiger. This is not any new news. Anyone that knows anything about the Montreal Rizzuto family knows it's been comprised of Sicilian and Calabrese factions.
BUT, even though the Sicilian and Calabrian factions were considered one family under the Bonanno flag, there was always competition between the Sicilians and Calabrians. The two Italian groups looked upon each other for centuries as the others inferior cousin. Competition between the Sicilian, Luigi Greco, and the Calabrese, Vic Cotroni, is a great example.

Also, there's plenty more sicilians than the ones you named, Caruana's and Cun trera's for starters.

Last edited by carmela; 10/11/12 10:03 PM.

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: AntonioRotolo] #669983
10/11/12 11:46 PM
10/11/12 11:46 PM
Tampa and Queens
S
Skinny_Vinny Offline
Capo
Skinny_Vinny  Offline
S
Capo
Tampa and Queens
Glad you brought this up.

Wrestling fans still want to know more about the death of Montreal WWE wrestler Dino Bravo. He was killed years ago. He's Calabrese.

Anyone know more about this hit?

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: AntonioRotolo] #669985
10/11/12 11:58 PM
10/11/12 11:58 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
Vinny wasn't Bravo somehow related to Vic Cotroni? Also something about cigarette smuggling? Is all that true? I remember reading some crazy stuff about him years ago but thats about all i know on it.

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: carmela] #669993
10/12/12 01:50 AM
10/12/12 01:50 AM
AntonioRotolo Offline OP
Button
Button
Originally Posted By: carmela
Easy tiger. This is not any new news. Anyone that knows anything about the Montreal Rizzuto family knows it's been comprised of Sicilian and Calabrese factions.
BUT, even though the Sicilian and Calabrian factions were considered one family under the Bonanno flag, there was always competition between the Sicilians and Calabrians. The two Italian groups looked upon each other for centuries as the others inferior cousin. Competition between the Sicilian, Luigi Greco, and the Calabrese, Vic Cotroni, is a great example.

Also, there's plenty more sicilians than the ones you named, Caruana's and Cun trera's for starters.

Ehhh Arcuri's are Sicilian, Caruana-[BadWord] not too many of them around anymore. The Renda's, Sollecito's, Rizzuto's, Giordano a few others not too many Siciliani there in Montreal anymore.

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: Giancarlo] #669999
10/12/12 04:54 AM
10/12/12 04:54 AM
Tampa and Queens
S
Skinny_Vinny Offline
Capo
Skinny_Vinny  Offline
S
Capo
Tampa and Queens
Originally Posted By: Giancarlo
Vinny wasn't Bravo somehow related to Vic Cotroni? Also something about cigarette smuggling? Is all that true? I remember reading some crazy stuff about him years ago but thats about all i know on it.

Yeah. It had to do with cigarette smuggling. People in wrestling said that he was telling people before his death that it was just a matter of time before someone came for him to kill him.

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: AntonioRotolo] #670000
10/12/12 05:18 AM
10/12/12 05:18 AM
AmericanCrime Offline
Capo
AmericanCrime  Offline
Capo
I read that the Cotroni faction and the Rizzuto faction were once seperate. Is that still the case? Or are they operating as a whole. The whole set up in Montreal seems really confusing.

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: Skinny_Vinny] #670026
10/12/12 11:08 AM
10/12/12 11:08 AM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Skinny_Vinny
Originally Posted By: Giancarlo

Yeah. It had to do with cigarette smuggling. People in wrestling said that he was telling people before his death that it was just a matter of time before someone came for him to kill him.

Is cigarette smuggling a big business with Canadian OC groups?

Just curious, how much does a pack or carton of Marlboro cost in Montreal? Is it worse then NYC prices?

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: AntonioRotolo] #670032
10/12/12 11:50 AM
10/12/12 11:50 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
The only "facts" I see here are Francesco Arcadi and Moreno Gallo being Calabrese.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: Sonny_Black] #670033
10/12/12 11:51 AM
10/12/12 11:51 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
The only "facts" I see here are Francesco Arcadi and Moreno Gallo being Calabrese.

+1

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: AntonioRotolo] #670046
10/12/12 12:38 PM
10/12/12 12:38 PM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
tony mucci and vincenzo di maulo are from campania, francesco del balso and rocco sollecito are pugliese
in montreal the sicilians exceed the calabrians by far
the calabrians are more in toronto and hamilton
but of course the cotroni and some other calabrians members of the montreal faction could be involved, but its just speculation so far and i doubt they even are

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: m2w] #670054
10/12/12 01:31 PM
10/12/12 01:31 PM
AntonioRotolo Offline OP
Button
Button
Originally Posted By: m2w
tony mucci and vincenzo di maulo are from campania, francesco del balso and rocco sollecito are pugliese
but of course the cotroni and some other calabrians members of the montreal faction could be involved, but its just speculation so far and i doubt they even are

Del Balso is Calabrese for sure and I thought Tony Mucci was too. Sollecito is Pugliese your right.

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: m2w] #670055
10/12/12 01:40 PM
10/12/12 01:40 PM
AntonioRotolo Offline OP
Button
Button

Here's some light reading......
Arcadi and Rizzuto resolved to find out the Italian origins of Rosmar Litho’s owner. They figured if they could find someone whose origins were from the same village in Calabria, Rosmar Litho could at least be approached about dropping the lawsuit. But the threat of violence was kept as a second option.

“At the same time we can do another thing. You or me, we’ll send a few young men. They know how to talk. Nobody knows them . . . to give him the message to see if he understands,” Arcadi told Rizzuto.

Arcadi and Rizzuto assigned Del Balso to find the right person to approach Rosmar Litho’s owner. On April 26, 2006, Del Balso was recorded on wiretaps telling his own father that the assignment was “breaking his balls” and that he was asked to solve the problem because he, Del Balso, was “paesano” from the same Italian town as Rosmar Litho’s owner.

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: AntonioRotolo] #670064
10/12/12 02:12 PM
10/12/12 02:12 PM
A
antimafia Offline
Underboss
antimafia  Offline
A
Underboss
Originally Posted By: AntonioRotolo

Del Balso is Calabrese for sure and I thought Tony Mucci was too. Sollecito is Pugliese your right.

Antonio:

You may want to take a look at

http://www.gangsterbb.net/threads/ubbthr...true#Post666947

to see the names of certain senior members of the old Rizzuto organization, as well as their dates and places of birth. You may also want to read my arguments in that thread about concerted Montreal Mafia collaboration with 'ndrangheta groups in the Greater Toronto Area and in Calabria, specifically with the Commisso clan.

One Montreal-area poster on here, eurodave, is quite certain del Balso, specifically, is barese, and I have found this poster to be not only a reliable source for this type of information but also someone who opened my eyes to how often Canadian organized-crime reporters, authors, and law-enforcement officers misidentify the ancestry of Montreal Mafia members. If you click on the above link, you'll also see that Rocco Sollecito and Beniamino Zappia were born in Puglia. Where am I going with this?

Zappia is a mainland Italian who was living in Milan before he was arrested. He was one of the most important money launderers for the old Rizzuto organization, sort of a trustee. However, note that Zappia not only had contact with senior Rizzuto clan members Vito, Nick Sr., and Renda but also with other senior Rizzuto administration members who are not Sicilian, i.e., with Arcadi and, more important, with the aforementioned Sollecito. A common error made by many organized-crime writers and journalists is to list this Zappia's place of birth as Cattolica Eraclea, Agrigento, the birthplace of many Rizzuto clan members -- this error is somewhat understandable, as Zappia did own some property in this town, as well as some assets, all of which were seized when he was arrested a number of years ago. The connections between Sollecito, Zappia, and del Balso, as fellow pugliesi, would be very significant. However, having made the same mistake of assuming what I have read somewhere is true, I checked the occurrence of the surname del Balso and I actually found it to be a surname found in Molise, not Puglia.

Antonio "Tony" Volpato, often labelled a member of the "Calabrian faction," or le clan Calabrais, in the Montreal Mafia, actually has northern Italian ancestry, having been born in Padua, in Veneto.

For me, the biggest revelation in the last year is the discovery that Joe Di Maulo, often identified as one of the leading Calabrian members of the "Calabrian faction" in the Montreal Mafia, actually has ancestry from Campobasso in the region of Molise. Another source, who even has a date and place of birth for Di Maulo, told me that Di Maulo was born in Campobasso (but the source is unsure whether this refers to the comune (town) or the provincia (province). Di Maulo is currently the most senior member of the Montreal Mafia, with a criminal career spanning more than 50 years. He and other members of the old Cotroni-Violi group are often wrongly identified as being Calabrian because Cotroni and Violi were. I have yet to see a newspaper article or book that specifically mentions where Di Maulo was born, only that he is Calabrian or was born in Calabria.

Di Maulo has such a stature in the Montreal Mafia that he could conceivably be the current or eventual godfather of the Montreal Mafia. But just as we don't know whether Raynald Desjardins, his ex-brother-in-law, still has loyalty to Vito Rizzuto, we don't know whether Di Maulo still has loyalty to Vito. Both Desjardins and Rizzuto, along with Domenico Arcuri Jr. and others, may have become fed up with how the Montreal Mafia was run after Vito was imprisoned in January 2004, especially in the hands of the Calabrian Francesco Arcadi. Di Maulo may have had nothing to do with the murders of Renda, Cun trera, and Nick Sr., but he may be sitting atop the Montreal Mafia at the moment. If he is, and assuming he's not arrested as a result of being investigated right now, the Montreal Mafia will have, for the first time ever, a godfather who is neither Calabrian nor Sicilian -- food for thought.

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: antimafia] #670071
10/12/12 03:04 PM
10/12/12 03:04 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: antimafia
Di Maulo may have had nothing to do with the murders of Renda, Cun trera, and Nick Sr., but he may be sitting atop the Montreal Mafia at the moment.

I agree with this. I've always thought that Di Maulo wasn't directly responsible for these murders, but due to his status he may very well be atop of the Mafia in Montreal right now. As a matter of fact, he has been atop or nearly atop of the Montreal Mafia for over a decade.

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: antimafia] #670073
10/12/12 03:17 PM
10/12/12 03:17 PM
AntonioRotolo Offline OP
Button
Button
Great post very educational stuff. Jos Di Maulo very well could be leading Montreal, I don't think either he or Desjardins would attack Vito's family like that. I think Sergio Piccirilli is one of the aggressor's here in the turmoil. But I'm just speculating, I don't have facts. Interesting to see how these recent testimonies by Nicola Di Marco and Lino Zambito will be dealt with. There haven't been too many testimonies by people with intricate knowledge of Montreal and Rizzuto's since Oreste Pagano. Again great post, have you ever spent time in Italy? I've been to a few of the places you mentioned like Padua, Agrigento. Padua has great Polenta, frickin freezing in Winter/Spring though.

Last edited by AntonioRotolo; 10/12/12 03:18 PM.
Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: AntonioRotolo] #670075
10/12/12 03:39 PM
10/12/12 03:39 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
^^^^ People in Agrigento call people from the north "a polentoni" b/c of the polenta eating they do. Just saying.
In reverse, the north refer to the sicilians as "a terroni".

Where in agrigento you've been to?

Last edited by carmela; 10/12/12 03:42 PM.

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: carmela] #670076
10/12/12 03:48 PM
10/12/12 03:48 PM
AntonioRotolo Offline OP
Button
Button
^^^^ People in Agrigento call people from the north "a polentoni" b/c of the polenta eating they do. Just saying.

It's with an e actually polentone terrone they're just farmers or they're just polenta makers. A lot of southerners have found terrone to be kind of a term of endearment now though, embracing it. But watch out boy don't talk merda about Berlusconi down south they definitely like and respect him there. I just went to Favara and Agrigento Centro, nice places good people great food vicino il mare man oh man mi manca italia.

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: AntonioRotolo] #670077
10/12/12 03:55 PM
10/12/12 03:55 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ

It's with an e actually polentone terrone they're just farmers or they're just polenta makers. A lot of southerners have found terrone to be kind of a term of endearment now though, embracing it. But watch out boy don't talk merda about Berlusconi down south they definitely like and respect him there. I just went to Favara and Agrigento Centro, nice places good people great food vicino il mare man oh man mi manca italia.

Yeah..well actually it's with an "I". The "I" making it plural, as in I was referring to multiple polenta eaters.

Agrigento sounds fabulous. One day I hope to go!! Thanks! And thanks for the head's up. I will certainly never speak bad about Berlusconi if I ever get to Sicily!

Last edited by carmela; 10/12/12 03:57 PM.

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: AntonioRotolo] #670132
10/13/12 10:08 AM
10/13/12 10:08 AM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
Quote:

del balso is not calabrian, he's apulian, and mucci parents come from campania

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: carmela] #670134
10/13/12 10:18 AM
10/13/12 10:18 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Agrigento sounds fabulous. One day I hope to go!! Thanks! And thanks for the head's up. I will certainly never speak bad about Berlusconi if I ever get to Sicily!

LMFAO.

Don't forget to get to the beach, Carm. And take pictures for us untraveled Americans!!!! lol

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: carmela] #670145
10/13/12 11:50 AM
10/13/12 11:50 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss

I was there last week. Because I care for you you can always ask me questions about the province and Sicily in general. I'm quite familiar with the subject, if you're interested.

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: m2w] #670166
10/13/12 03:32 PM
10/13/12 03:32 PM
AntonioRotolo Offline OP
Button
Button
Quote:

del balso is not calabrian, he's apulian, and mucci parents come from campania

Love to see it where it is authentically written

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: Sonny_Black] #670170
10/13/12 04:13 PM
10/13/12 04:13 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ

I was there last week. Because I care for you you can always ask me questions about the province and Sicily in general. I'm quite familiar with the subject, if you're interested.

I guess my biggest question/concern is would I run into a real live mafioso there? If I do, should I be scared? Would I be killed by that lupara bianca I always read about? Or what about my body being dissolved in acid or my car being blown up? These are the things that prevent me from going. How safe is it?

Oh and what about donkeys? Would I be able to ride my very own donkey?

Pizzaboy, if I ever get there, I'll take lots of pictures to share, for those of you that never get out of the Bronx!! grin

Last edited by carmela; 10/13/12 04:15 PM.

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: carmela] #670176
10/13/12 05:14 PM
10/13/12 05:14 PM
AntonioRotolo Offline OP
Button
Button

I guess my biggest question/concern is would I run into a real live mafioso there? If I do, should I be scared? Would I be killed by that lupara bianca I always read about? Or what about my body being dissolved in acid or my car being blown up? These are the things that prevent me from going. How safe is it?

Pizzaboy, if I ever get there, I'll take lots of pictures to share, for those of you that never get out of the Bronx!! grin

As people told me "I've been living here for 60 years and I've never seen anything that resembled Mafia." You won't ever find it, eat at the locally renowned restaurants and that's as close to them as you will get. In Palermo La Antica Foccaceria Di San Francesco is tremendously good. It's pretty safe, depending where you are. Taormina, Siracusa, Agrigento, beautiful safe places. Catania, Palermo are ehh you know urban environments have a guy with you or be in a group.

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: AntonioRotolo] #670179
10/13/12 05:37 PM
10/13/12 05:37 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ

As people told me "I've been living here for 60 years and I've never seen anything that resembled Mafia." You won't ever find it, eat at the locally renowned restaurants and that's as close to them as you will get. In Palermo La Antica Foccaceria Di San Francesco is tremendously good. It's pretty safe, depending where you are. Taormina, Siracusa, Agrigento, beautiful safe places. Catania, Palermo are ehh you know urban environments have a guy with you or be in a group.

Thank you Antonio. You've been very helpful!! Sorry to take your thread off topic.

*See I am capable of saying 'sorry'. Montague will be pissed he missed it.

Last edited by carmela; 10/13/12 05:57 PM.

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: AntonioRotolo] #670191
10/13/12 08:26 PM
10/13/12 08:26 PM
Canada
E
eurodave Offline
Capo
eurodave  Offline
E
Capo
Canada
Everyone thinks that the Ndrangheta Calabrese organization is killin off the Rizzuto Sicilian organization and lemme tell you that there's a huge fact your all missing.
MOST OF THE TOP GUYS IN RIZZUTO'S FAMILY ARE CALABRESE.
Tony Mucci-Calabrese
Francesco Arcadi-Calabrese
Francesco Del Balso_Calabrese
Moreno Gallo-Calabrese
Only probably Rocco Sollectio, Lorenzo Giordano, the Renda's and Rizzuto's are Siciliani. E Basta! It's not too hard for a Siderno take over when half the organization is from there.
Just a fact I wanted to point out.

Actually......

Mucci=Molise
Del Balso=Puglia
Sollecito=Puglia
Gallo=Calabria
Arcadi=Calabria

And none of the Calabrians mentioned above are from Siderno. Gallo is from Cosenza and Arcadi from Sant'Agata del Bianco. There is a so called Calabrian faction, but I wouldn't say it's pure Calabrese.

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: carmela] #670192
10/13/12 08:35 PM
10/13/12 08:35 PM
Antonio Offline
Made Member
Antonio  Offline
Made Member
I Terroni = The farmers
Un Tarrone = A farmer or a Southern Italian

However there are so many dialects in Italy that they all have their way of saying things. For example, in Italian if you want to say something like "Where is that boy?" in Italian it would be "Dove quello ragazzo?" but on Neapolitan it would be "Addo sta u guaglione?" and even that is pretty vague since every province like has it's own dialect. Pretty weird come to think of it, so many sub languages that are only spoken...

Tony Soprano : I thought I told you to back off Beansie!

Richie Aprile : I did, Then I put it in drive..
Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: AntonioRotolo] #670193
10/13/12 08:44 PM
10/13/12 08:44 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Actually, I was just having a bit of fun with Antonio, as pizzaboy and sonny black already know.
I go to Agrigento almost every year and my husband was born and raised there.

The "i" on the end is exactly what I was saying earlier, to make it plural.

Unne quello ragazzu? wink

Thank for that eurodave. Nice to see you around here. wink

Re: A fact about the Calabrese/Siciliani Montreal [Re: Antonio] #670241
10/14/12 12:43 PM
10/14/12 12:43 PM
AntonioRotolo Offline OP
Button
Button
Originally Posted By: Antonio
I Terroni = The farmers
Un Tarrone = A farmer or a Southern Italian

However there are so many dialects in Italy that they all have their way of saying things. For example, in Italian if you want to say something like "Where is that boy?" in Italian it would be "Dove quello ragazzo?" but on Neapolitan it would be "Addo sta u guaglione?" and even that is pretty vague since every province like has it's own dialect. Pretty weird come to think of it, so many sub languages that are only spoken...

Guaglioooo offra! Mangia un baba, baba e buono e buono.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull