GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RushStreet), 379 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,594
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,068
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,368
Posts1,059,475
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Two questions about Nicky Barnes #661190
08/20/12 06:09 PM
08/20/12 06:09 PM
M
ManGauge Offline OP
Button
ManGauge  Offline OP
M
Button
Ive got two questions regarding Nicky Barnes

1st question is , was/is he considered a "mobster"? When i think of a mobster , i think of a "gangster" , that belongs to a criminal organization , that dabbles in a wide variety of vices (loansharking,drugs ,rackets,bookmaking ,prostitution , etc etc). I think Nicky only dabbled in one of those (drugs). I have not read up on him doing much of anything else.

2nd question is , Nicky had a made man ( forgot what family he belonged to) killed because he sold him bad drugs and gave him the run around , disappearing for a few months. Nicky had the inkling that he may have been an informant. After his (Nicky's) men tracked down and killed the made man , Nicky sat back and waited for reprisals from the mafia family , but it never came. Why dont you think the mafia family went after Nicky for killing one of their made guys?

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: ManGauge] #661216
08/20/12 07:47 PM
08/20/12 07:47 PM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss
Mobster is just another term for gangster which Barnes definatley was. Technically it doesnt matter if he engaged in only one type of criminal activity he was still probably the biggest drug dealer in new york if not the east coast.

The mob guy your talking about was carmen pugliese. He was once supplying barnes but then stopped for some reason(i think he went to jail or something) he connected back up with barnes at some point and tried to rip him off, so Barnes and his organisation, which was called the council voted to kill Pugliese. One of Barnes lieutenants even boasted about the killing saying that they shot him at such close range that his shirt caught on fire. The reasons for them not retaliating against barnes isnt very clear,but i can say barnes and the council were no light weights, as well as locking down most of harlems heroin traffic they had set up shop in upstate new york and Pennsylvania. He had built an organisation with captains, enforcers, hit men and also had his own dirty cops working for him. Since he was schooled in the way the mafia worked he probably had some sort of plan. From the hierarchy of the mobs point of view the heroin coming into the country was going through them anyway, although barnes had probably put quite a few mid level mob guys and their connected dealers out of business, they still had the wholesale importation and distribution in italian hands. Killing barnes and risking a war over one man wouldnt have been worth it in the end, theyd still have to kill the rest of the council and also contend with the racial climate at the time in america which would have brought even more heat on them.

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: Scorsese] #661218
08/20/12 08:03 PM
08/20/12 08:03 PM
M
ManGauge Offline OP
Button
ManGauge  Offline OP
M
Button
Originally Posted By: Scorsese
Mobster is just another term for gangster which Barnes definatley was. Technically it doesnt matter if he engaged in only one type of criminal activity he was still probably the biggest drug dealer in new york if not the east coast.

The mob guy your talking about was carmen pugliese. He was once supplying barnes but then stopped for some reason(i think he went to jail or something) he connected back up with barnes at some point and tried to rip him off, so Barnes and his organisation, which was called the council voted to kill Pugliese. One of Barnes lieutenants even boasted about the killing saying that they shot him at such close range that his shirt caught on fire. The reasons for them not retaliating against barnes isnt very clear,but i can say barnes and the council were no light weights, as well as locking down most of harlems heroin traffic they had set up shop in upstate new york and Pennsylvania. He had built an organisation with captains, enforcers, hit men and also had his own dirty cops working for him. Since he was schooled in the way the mafia worked he probably had some sort of plan. From the hierarchy of the mobs point of view the heroin coming into the country was going through them anyway, although barnes had probably put quite a few mid level mob guys and their connected dealers out of business, they still had the wholesale importation and distribution in italian hands. Killing barnes and risking a war over one man wouldnt have been worth it in the end, theyd still have to kill the rest of the council and also contend with the racial climate at the time in america which would have brought even more heat on them.

So you just consider the term "mobster" as akin to the term "gangster"? So you consider your typical street gangsters as "mobsters"? And wasnt Frank Mathews a bigger dealer than Nicky?

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: ManGauge] #661294
08/21/12 11:07 AM
08/21/12 11:07 AM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss
By definition they are both the same thing but i guess if people care enough to differentiate the two then i guess the term mobster culturally can be used to refer to italians and other white crime groups that came around the 19th century, but really its just the same as being a gangster. Mobster is more of a media term than anything else, but a "street gangster" can legitimately be called a mobster but i think media likes to save that title for the italians whilst they use the "thug" and "gangster" labels for black and latino groups.

Matthews was distributing heroin in 21 states so he was a much bigger dealer than Barnes.Matthews however had fled and disappeared before going to trial in 1973 leaving the drug trade. Barnes was still on the street building his organisation and selling alot of heroin in new york.

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: Scorsese] #661333
08/21/12 02:05 PM
08/21/12 02:05 PM
New Orleans LA
FrankGaglianoJR Offline
Button
FrankGaglianoJR  Offline
Button
New Orleans LA
didnt know barnes killed a made guy and wasnt killed himself kindve disappointing.....

"According to my best recollection,I don't remember."
- Vincent "Jimmy Blue Eyes" Alo
Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: Scorsese] #661337
08/21/12 02:20 PM
08/21/12 02:20 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Scorsese
By definition they are both the same thing but i guess if people care enough to differentiate the two then i guess the term mobster culturally can be used to refer to italians and other white crime groups that came around the 19th century, but really its just the same as being a gangster. Mobster is more of a media term than anything else, but a "street gangster" can legitimately be called a mobster but i think media likes to save that title for the italians whilst they use the "thug" and "gangster" labels for black and latino groups.

I thought that "gangster" is a more widespread concept, which does also include non-mafia type groups (street gangsters are often too disorganized and too young to be compared to the mob).
By the way, doesn't the term "mobster" also apply to organized crime figures of Jewish origins (Mickey Cohen, Lepke, Meyer Lansky etc.) in the same measure as to Italians? Maybe to Russians also, but I am not sure.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: FrankGaglianoJR] #661395
08/21/12 05:07 PM
08/21/12 05:07 PM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: FrankGaglianoJR
didnt know barnes killed a made guy and wasnt killed himself kindve disappointing.....

Pugliese was a drug dealer trying rip off his customers so its not that surprising he ended up getting killed by one of them, its part of the business. Barnes was a powerful guy on the street, just because someones made doesnt mean they are important .

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: FrankGaglianoJR] #661483
08/22/12 12:53 AM
08/22/12 12:53 AM
M
ManGauge Offline OP
Button
ManGauge  Offline OP
M
Button
Originally Posted By: FrankGaglianoJR

I thinks its bad ass, Nicky didnt give a shit

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: ManGauge] #661573
08/22/12 04:37 PM
08/22/12 04:37 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
Does anybody know what happened to the members of the "council" presided by Barnes? Did they all go to prison? Guy Fisher did, and the others?
Also, if Barnes was just a drug dealer and didn't make money from other illegal business, why is Guy Fisher who worked with him listed on wikipedia as "racketeer"? Isn't this the same as "exstortionist" in English? (correct me if I am wrong, English isn't my mother language)

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: Dwalin2011] #661590
08/22/12 05:15 PM
08/22/12 05:15 PM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss
I think they all went to prison. A few of his luietenants as well as him were featured in the documentary about him so i guess a few of them are now free. I think alot of the major players are still doing time and probably wont be getting out. Its funny how they all went down just as the younger generation of gangsters was coming into power alongside cocaine and then later crack epidemics.

The council was also involved in a lot of legitimate business such as nightclubs and stores, money laundering, bribery, witness intimidation, contract murder. They also made some dealers in harlem pay rent for their drug turf in harlem. Although i think that makes them all racketeers,Barnes was convicted of drug related offenses whilst fisher was convicted of multiple counts of rico violations which is basically the law for racketeering. But they were both part of a continuing criminal conspiracy. In fact alot of street gangs these days get hit with racketeering indictments too.

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: ManGauge] #661727
08/23/12 04:15 PM
08/23/12 04:15 PM
New York
Imamobguy Offline
Capo
Imamobguy  Offline
Capo
New York
Originally Posted By: ManGauge

1st question is , was/is he considered a "mobster"? When i think of a mobster , i think of a "gangster" , that belongs to a criminal organization , that dabbles in a wide variety of vices (loansharking,drugs ,rackets,bookmaking ,prostitution , etc etc). I think Nicky only dabbled in one of those (drugs). I have not read up on him doing much of anything else.

2nd question is , Nicky had a made man ( forgot what family he belonged to) killed because he sold him bad drugs and gave him the run around , disappearing for a few months. Nicky had the inkling that he may have been an informant. After his (Nicky's) men tracked down and killed the made man , Nicky sat back and waited for reprisals from the mafia family , but it never came. Why dont you think the mafia family went after Nicky for killing one of their made guys?

Nicky wasnt a Mobster, A mobster is someone who is in the "MOB" / "MAFIA". Nicky was a businessman and made money anyway he could, Police didnt like how businessman made money fast so they made it illegal.. Fuckin' idiots.

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: Imamobguy] #661732
08/23/12 04:34 PM
08/23/12 04:34 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Imamobguy

Nicky wasnt a Mobster, A mobster is someone who is in the "MOB" / "MAFIA". Nicky was a businessman and made money anyway he could, Police didnt like how businessman made money fast so they made it illegal.. Fuckin' idiots.

But almost all mobster and gangster bosses officially are businessmen, so what's the difference?
Also, just being curious: are you seriously taking Barnes' side or was it a joke? I am asking because there are people who genuinely like gangsters and mobsters.

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: Imamobguy] #661989
08/25/12 06:46 AM
08/25/12 06:46 AM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Imamobguy
Originally Posted By: ManGauge

Again by definition nicky was a mobster because he was a member of a criminal gang, Mobster doesnt solely just mean mafia.

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: ManGauge] #662252
08/26/12 04:07 AM
08/26/12 04:07 AM
D
danielperrygin Offline
Underboss
danielperrygin  Offline
D
Underboss
You know people that like gangsters? Id watch the cursing if i were you.

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: ManGauge] #662253
08/26/12 04:08 AM
08/26/12 04:08 AM
D
danielperrygin Offline
Underboss
danielperrygin  Offline
D
Underboss
You know people that like gangsters? Id watch the cursing if i were you.

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: ManGauge] #662265
08/26/12 11:21 AM
08/26/12 11:21 AM
Mastronardo Offline
Made Member
Mastronardo  Offline
Made Member
Nicky Barnes was a major player in the underworld and made the Mob a lot of money. And we can't forget his back-up; Matt Madonna of the Luccheses and Joe Gallo of the Colombos.

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: Mastronardo] #662284
08/26/12 01:33 PM
08/26/12 01:33 PM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Mastronardo
Nicky Barnes was a major player in the underworld and made the Mob a lot of money. And we can't forget his back-up; Matt Madonna of the Luccheses and Joe Gallo of the Colombos.

Although i think at the beginning his relationships with gallo and madonna was important however at the peak of his power he didnt need any mafia assistance. Gallo was assassinated in 1972 and barnes still continued to expand his operation without him, his relationship with madonna was one of a simple exchange of drugs and cash but even after madonna was convicted barnes and the council continued operate with a new supplier. Gallo did teach him alot whilst in prison and madonna and barnes knew eachother from back when they were both working for the same drug boss in harlem as dealers so i think their relationship was friendly, also the fact that barnes was the biggest drug dealer in new york capable of moving hundreds of kilos of heroin a month and also eventually buy his own product instead of on consignment, which to madonna was a good thing because as a supplier he wanted to get the drugs out of his hands and the money in them as fast as possible without any trouble afterwards.

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: Scorsese] #662405
08/26/12 09:44 PM
08/26/12 09:44 PM
M
Monster Offline
Associate
Monster  Offline
M
Associate
Was Joey Gallo seriously going to add Nicky to his gang? What did he get out of the friendship while they were locked up? I understand that Nicky wanted more drug connects

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: Monster] #662549
08/27/12 11:05 AM
08/27/12 11:05 AM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss
gallos relationship with other mafioso in prison was very distant, probably due to all the trouble that he was causing on the outside with the columbo family. There was probably some element of protection from other wiseguys looking to kill him by surrounding himself with black gangsters, also he saw that the demographics were changing and that black gangsters were taking more control of criminal activities in their own communities. Also he still had plans to take over the family once he got out so making friends with barnes would only strengthen his side up, in fact there was an fbi informant who stated that gallo had sent some black hoods to intimidate joe colombo by having them follow and surveil him. Also i don't think he was a drug connect either just someone who helped barnes organise and get out of prison probably in exchange for his support.

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: Scorsese] #764150
02/17/14 12:42 PM
02/17/14 12:42 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
ok..good info

read a few times that in many ways the fictional character Nino Brown(New Jack City) was loosely patterned after Nicky Barnes

in the film Brown hits a mob guy(a don)and slaughters a few guys associated with him).and nobody ever retaliates

was based on Barnes hitting a made guy

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: getthesenets] #764253
02/17/14 10:12 PM
02/17/14 10:12 PM
Extortion Offline
Underboss
Extortion  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: getthesenets
ok..good info

read a few times that in many ways the fictional character Nino Brown(New Jack City) was loosely patterned after Nicky Barnes

in the film Brown hits a mob guy(a don)and slaughters a few guys associated with him).and nobody ever retaliates

Exactly, its a movie..

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: getthesenets] #764304
02/18/14 09:04 AM
02/18/14 09:04 AM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss
Originally Posted By: getthesenets
ok..good info

Classic movie. you could be right however i think the main inspiration for the movie came from the chambers brothers gang in detroit that took control of apartment buildings and were making millions a day.
http://www.nytimes.com/1988/12/18/us/detroit-drug-empire-showed-all-the-traits-of-big-business.html

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: Scorsese] #764417
02/18/14 06:16 PM
02/18/14 06:16 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
Scorcese

You're definitely right about that part of the story, in fact....I think a writer for the village voice coined the term "new jack city" about Detroit and the drug trade..he might have written the script to njc if i recall

lots of influences and references to real situations in the film .

the name of lead bad guy......the slogan "am i my brothers keeper"?......schism created partly because of a guy taking another's woman, and the fact that one of the producers was from Harlem and grew up in the Barnes era....definitely influenced by Barnes' story

when i saw the Barnes' documentary...it hit me...

also elements of "the untouchables" in the film...very open homage is paid

thanks for the correction/clarification though...

Re: Two questions about Nicky Barnes [Re: getthesenets] #764713
02/19/14 10:24 PM
02/19/14 10:24 PM
getthesenets Offline
Underboss
getthesenets  Offline
Underboss
interesting interview with Barry Michael Cooper, writer of New Jack City

http://stopsmilingonline.com/story_detail.php?id=791

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull