GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (GaryH, Malavita), 386 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,982
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,105
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Differences between book and film #569642
03/14/10 10:25 AM
03/14/10 10:25 AM
Long Island
D
DonNickel Offline OP
DonNicholson
DonNickel  Offline OP
DonNicholson
D
Associate
Long Island
I read The Godfaher novel a long time ago so I don't remember it all by heart. I saw the film first before I read the book and one thing I noticed about the book it gave more details about other characters in the story like Johnny Fontane and Lucy Mancini, the woman that Sonny was having an affair with. I think because the novel digged deeper into other characters this makes the book even more interesting than the film.

"A man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man." -Don Vito Corleone.
Re: Differences between book and film [Re: DonNickel] #569648
03/14/10 11:44 AM
03/14/10 11:44 AM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
I had seen the movie many times before I read the book, and I thought the whole Johnny-Lucy storyline was a waste the first time I read it. I think it would be impossible to pull all of that material into the 2 hours of a movie, and that Coppolla did a near-perfect job of what to keep and what leave.

That said, I don't mind those passages so much now. They're kind of a time capsule of the Sixties.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Differences between book and film [Re: mustachepete] #569658
03/14/10 01:29 PM
03/14/10 01:29 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
The novel, while crudely written compared with the polish of the film, did have many interesting and useful details and side stories that didn't appear in the film. The best were: the Bocchicchio Family and how they helped Michael return from Sicily; Neri's background and recruitment; Sonny and the boiler inspectors; Vito's war with Maranzano. I could have done without all that Lucy/Jules crap (a flimsy vehicle for Puzo to describe her gynecological operation); all of Nino, and nearly all of Johnny following Connie's wedding. Most of that was Puzo's way of showing off what he learned about Hollywood. That Hollywood BS ruined "The Last Don."

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Differences between book and film [Re: Turnbull] #569669
03/14/10 02:40 PM
03/14/10 02:40 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
What TB wrote.
The book could have used some stronger editing.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Differences between book and film [Re: Lilo] #569673
03/14/10 03:10 PM
03/14/10 03:10 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
The Luca story really struck me when I read it.

Re: Differences between book and film [Re: Danito] #569818
03/15/10 11:00 PM
03/15/10 11:00 PM
No. Virginia
mustachepete Offline
Special
mustachepete  Offline
Special
Underboss
No. Virginia
The discussion over on the movie side brings to mind two things about Luca that are more developed in the book. The first is that Vito is not entirely comfortable with Luca. The second is that Vito's insight is that Luca is essentially suicidal. When he sends Luca to spy on the Tataglias, Vito has probably been resigned for many years that some day Luca would not come back, and Vito probably doesn't see that as such a bad thing.

"All of these men were good listeners; patient men."
Re: Differences between book and film [Re: mustachepete] #569846
03/16/10 09:55 AM
03/16/10 09:55 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
The Luca backstory is really interesting. I think if the movie were remade today it might include some of that. The thing is that Luca is scarier/more of a cipher in the movie because we don't know much about him and that if we did know more about him it would have reduced sympathy for/identification with the Corleones. Luca is after all an abuser/murderer of women and children.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Differences between book and film [Re: Lilo] #569966
03/17/10 10:00 PM
03/17/10 10:00 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
A really nice touch in the book is that Tom had told Michael he'd tell him the Luca story "when you're a hundred." Then he heard it first hand, in Sicily no less, from the midwife Filomena. Her gratitude for Vito's intervention puts Luca's relationship with him in perspective--missing in the film.

Re: Differences between book and film [Re: Turnbull] #570851
03/30/10 03:30 PM
03/30/10 03:30 PM
Anytown, USA
goombah Offline
goombah  Offline

Anytown, USA
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
The novel, while crudely written compared with the polish of the film, did have many interesting and useful details and side stories that didn't appear in the film. The best were: the Bocchicchio Family and how they helped Michael return from Sicily; Neri's background and recruitment; Sonny and the boiler inspectors; Vito's war with Maranzano. I could have done without all that Lucy/Jules crap (a flimsy vehicle for Puzo to describe her gynecological operation); all of Nino, and nearly all of Johnny following Connie's wedding. Most of that was Puzo's way of showing off what he learned about Hollywood. That Hollywood BS ruined "The Last Don."

While I agree with most of your list, I thought the description of Vito's war with the Maranzano was laughable. Coupled with Vito's letter to Al Capone made up a considerable weakness of the novel. I always hate when writers do things that are so transparently obvious.

I like the extra features the novel has as Turnbull described as well. But the novel also has so much fluff (the entire Johnny Fontaine storyline and being a main character, the storyline of Jules and Lucy) that it detracts from the parts we have been accustomed to from the film.

As others have stated previously, I think Puzo was trying to show the reader how much he "knew" that some of it came at the expense of the story (the "Hollywood" thing, the anatomy of a woman, etc rolleyes ).

Re: Differences between book and film [Re: goombah] #572776
04/25/10 11:48 PM
04/25/10 11:48 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I didn't know in which thread I should post this, so it's here. But what was the point in the novel of the Santino Regime? There's no evidence of it in the film (except maybe "I'm gonna have a couple of our people come over" or "save it for the library"). Apparently, in the novel, the Regime's sole function was to keep an eye on Lucy and to rent apartments next to hers. When the war starts, only Clemenza's and Tessio's regimes are referenced. After Sonny's death Vito instructs that the Santino regime members are to be placed in their regimes. Prior to that, weren't they used in the war? Why have Tessio recruit 50 reliable men when Sonny had his regime. Shouldn't they have manned the barricades at the mall?

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Differences between book and film [Re: olivant] #572782
04/26/10 05:09 AM
04/26/10 05:09 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I don't know how large Sonny's regime was. But he created one/took one over in the aftermath of his father's shooting during the war against the independents. At that time per novel he made a reputation as "the most cunning and relentless executioner the underworld had yet known".

So presumably at that time both he and his direct reports were getting their hands dirty. Perhaps since at time of movie Sonny is underboss with presumably greater responsibilities his regime's primary job during war to just to guard Sonny and not be involved in front line attacks? If Sonny's regime was less than 20 guys, as opposed to the hundreds that Tessio or Clemenza could command that might explain it.

Winter is Coming

Re: Differences between book and film [Re: Lilo] #572815
04/26/10 05:58 PM
04/26/10 05:58 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
After the second attempt on Vito's life, there were a hundred button men on the street. I guess, they were Sonny's men. Sonny made them big promises about what the killer of Sollozzo might expect.
Tessio's men were good enough to guard the house.

Re: Differences between book and film [Re: Danito] #583090
10/13/10 02:53 PM
10/13/10 02:53 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
A minor difference that I picked up last time I read the novel: In the book, Vito is shot outside his office on 9th Avenue. My guess is that Vito was shot in Hell's Kitchen---somewhere in the 40s or 50s. That's where Puzo grew up, so he was probably writing about the area from firsthand knowledge.

In the film he's shot on---and his office is located at---Mott Street in Little Italy (well, it used to be Little Italy, now not so much ohwell ).

For the non-New Yorkers here, 9th Avenue is on the West Side and runs from the West Village all the way uptown into Hell's Kitchen. Mott Street is in Little Italy on the Lower East Side. The neighborhoods aren't really in close proximity to each other.

I wonder why they changed the location? Perhaps shooting in Hell's Kitchen was too much of a hassle? Or maybe Coppola just thought the Little Italy location was more romantic or exotic?

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Differences between book and film [Re: pizzaboy] #585268
11/08/10 03:50 PM
11/08/10 03:50 PM
Top o' the World
Fame Offline
Underboss
Fame  Offline
Underboss
Top o' the World
The only thing that's good about the Jules/Lucy crap is that the episodes are detached (as far as can be) from the rest of the novel, so you can read it without them, and not miss anything worthy.

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)
Re: Differences between book and film [Re: pizzaboy] #586541
11/24/10 02:09 PM
11/24/10 02:09 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
I wonder why they changed the location? Perhaps shooting in Hell's Kitchen was too much of a hassle?

Probably, PB. As you know better than most, Ninth Avenue in the Hell's Kitchen area is a major conduit to and from the Lincoln Tunnel. Blocking off streets for filming would have caused chaos.

Re: Differences between book and film [Re: Turnbull] #588626
12/18/10 11:45 AM
12/18/10 11:45 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Although the film portrays quite an age difference between Michael and Sonny, some parts of the novel's content conflicts with that. After Vito defeats Maranzano in 1933 it states that Sonny was 16 and Mike a toddler. However, given other novel information and the film's flasback scene, the timeline has Sonny born in 1917-18 and Mike in 1921. That's just 3 years.

Re: Differences between book and film [Re: olivant] #588632
12/18/10 12:01 PM
12/18/10 12:01 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
In the novel: Sonny and Tom are both 35 years old at the wedding, which was in the summer of 1945. This puts their birth year at 1910. But you're right Oli, it conflicts with other parts of the novel, and almost all of the film.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Differences between book and film [Re: DonNickel] #594430
02/14/11 11:14 PM
02/14/11 11:14 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
In the novel it states that a taxi driver would not take Kay from Manhattan to Long Island unless she paid double. Does that sound right? Is it that far?

Re: Differences between book and film [Re: olivant] #594433
02/14/11 11:34 PM
02/14/11 11:34 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: olivant
In the novel it states that a taxi driver would not take Kay from Manhattan to Long Island unless she paid double. Does that sound right? Is it that far?

Sounds possible and probable. Dunno what the law was back in 1946 but metered cabs can now charge what is on the meter from the pickup point to the City line and then DOUBLE the meter for the balance of the trip in Nassau County (where Long Beach is).

Depending on traffic, it can take anywhere from 45 - 90 minutes to drive from midtown to Long Beach.

Re: Differences between book and film [Re: DonNickel] #596106
03/02/11 08:05 PM
03/02/11 08:05 PM
H
Hagens_Heroes Offline
Wiseguy
Hagens_Heroes  Offline
H
Wiseguy
The whole Vegas subplot with Lucy, Fontane, Jules, and the various hangers-on wouldn't have worked on-screen, but I actually enjoyed the background they had in the book. It made the world a little more real to me.

I didn't really think much of Johnny Fontane in the movie, but I was surprised that I enjoyed his little plotline going through the book. I liked how he took Vito's words to heart and gave his previously-discarded friend a place in his new world. In a way, Vito gave him a second chance to be a more honorable person and Johnny took it and ran with it.

I liked the mention that Johnny showed up for Vito's funeral, despite the bad press it might get him. In the movie, you got the feeling that there were a lot of people who would pay their respects to Vito (other than the other Families), but it was touching in a strange way to see how loved Vito really was by those he looked after.

I was fond of film Vito, even though he was a criminal, but I got a lot more warm cuddly feelings for novel Vito.

Re: Differences between book and film [Re: Hagens_Heroes] #596584
03/07/11 10:14 PM
03/07/11 10:14 PM
NickGeraci Offline
Made Member
NickGeraci  Offline
Made Member
Very well saidHagen

"I Miss People, I Just Don't Remember Who They Are"

S.D.'99
Re: Differences between book and film [Re: DonNickel] #622901
12/04/11 05:31 PM
12/04/11 05:31 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Some Board members have read more extensively than I have about why Puzo and FFC included this or that in their products. I think there's been a thread or two on this subject (but I can't remember where), but has Puzo ever explained why he included the Lucy and Jules content (especially the female problems) in the novel as well as Johnny Fontane's amourous exploits?

Re: Differences between book and film [Re: olivant] #622986
12/05/11 06:44 AM
12/05/11 06:44 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: olivant
Some Board members have read more extensively than I have about why Puzo and FFC included this or that in their products. I think there's been a thread or two on this subject (but I can't remember where), but has Puzo ever explained why he included the Lucy and Jules content (especially the female problems) in the novel as well as Johnny Fontane's amourous exploits?

The Jules Segal character is likely a homage to his friend Jules Siegel. Also, Sally Raggs was apparantly a real-life gambler Puzo knew named Salvatore "Sally Raggs" Ragusin.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Differences between book and film [Re: Sonny_Black] #659870
08/12/12 10:50 PM
08/12/12 10:50 PM
K
Keltik Offline
Associate
Keltik  Offline
K
Associate
In one interview, Puzo listed what he felt were the requirements to write a bestselling novel. One of these was to have a female protagonist.

So it's possible that the Lucy Mancini plotline was added by Puzo to to create female interest, along with prurient interest.

Personally, if he had to do that, I would have preferred some backstory on Connie, who is almost an afterthought in the book.

Re: Differences between book and film [Re: Keltik] #659889
08/13/12 03:00 AM
08/13/12 03:00 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: Keltik
In one interview, Puzo listed what he felt were the requirements to write a bestselling novel. One of these was to have a female protagonist.

The main female character was Kay. In some way, we (the readers) are like her: We enter the strange world of a mafia family.
And remember, she's the protagonist of the very last scene.

Antwort auf:

So it's possible that the Lucy Mancini plotline was added by Puzo to to create female interest, along with prurient interest.

Looks more like he added Lucy to create some male interest. wink

Re: Differences between book and film [Re: DonNickel] #660055
08/14/12 01:32 AM
08/14/12 01:32 AM
A
Appolla Offline
Wiseguy
Appolla  Offline
A
Wiseguy
Is it possible that the Lucy part was added as an aim for sort of sexual revolution /modern literature touch? It was amazingly horrible, bad to read bad content(this is my personal opinion). I wonder if anyone ever read the novel before it got into press (I am assuming no , the timeline problems are very obvious even after a cursory read). I think the Luca background story was sort of on the ridiculous side too, it was just too much to be believable.

Kay's personal development/understanding is much more in the focus of the book and I like that a lot. But of course FFC decided to give her different key story in GF 2 which is makes me quite indecisive which universe I like better.

I am sure that in you are right, the readers are like Kay, but she does not have enough role as a woman to lead us through how the Mafia works from the inside. In my opinion Tom Hagen who does that (and helps us and Kay to understand), even more in the novel than in the movie.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull