GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 493 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,706
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,235
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,522
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,397
Posts1,060,121
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Print Thread
Chairman of the commission #657975
07/31/12 12:09 PM
07/31/12 12:09 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline OP
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline OP
D
Underboss
Does anybody know who were the chairmen of the commission after Castellano's murder? Was the next one Gotti or Gigante? Or did they abolish that position after Castellano's murder?

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: Dwalin2011] #657979
07/31/12 01:22 PM
07/31/12 01:22 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Joe Massino supposedly chaired a meeting in 2000.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: Dwalin2011] #657989
07/31/12 01:53 PM
07/31/12 01:53 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
It was always..lets say "abolished" but theres always the top guy on the table...i think it was the Chin for some time

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: Dwalin2011] #657992
07/31/12 02:10 PM
07/31/12 02:10 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

I don't think there was ever a formal position like that. Some bosses may have been more deferred to because of their status. Castellano and Chin were equals. After Castellano was killed, and the others went away in the Commission case, Chin obviously had the most seniority. But we only have the record of a single (partial) Commission meeting after that. At least before the one Massino chaired in 2000.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 07/31/12 02:10 PM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: IvyLeague] #658008
07/31/12 04:01 PM
07/31/12 04:01 PM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline OP
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline OP
D
Underboss
By the way, was Gigante already recognized as official boss in 1981 or was he just acting boss and became official only after Lombardo died?

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: Dwalin2011] #658011
07/31/12 04:29 PM
07/31/12 04:29 PM
Newcastle Upon Tyne
short841 Offline
Underboss
short841  Offline
Underboss
Newcastle Upon Tyne
You think acting bosses and bosses speak to each other today? like not all 5 but like tony and johnny sac kinda thing when they speak outside there cars?

"You shouldn’t be embarrassed by your wealth. This contempt for money is another trick by the rich to keep the poor without it" - Michael Corleone

"You don't have to count the dead to understand the business of the Camorra" Gomorrah, Roberto Saviano
Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: Dwalin2011] #658015
07/31/12 04:53 PM
07/31/12 04:53 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011
By the way, was Gigante already recognized as official boss in 1981 or was he just acting boss and became official only after Lombardo died?

My understanding is, when Lombardo stepped down in 1981 or so, Salerno was slated to become the new boss. But he had his stroke. After which, Chin became the new boss. And, after Salerno recovered, he became the acting boss for Chin.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: IvyLeague] #658017
07/31/12 05:16 PM
07/31/12 05:16 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Does anyone know what was discussed at the 2000 discussion meeting that Massino hosted? It was him and Louie Bagels and some others.

Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: BarrettM] #658019
07/31/12 05:28 PM
07/31/12 05:28 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: BarrettM
Does anyone know what was discussed at the 2000 discussion meeting that Massino hosted? It was him and Louie Bagels and some others.

Yeah, the meeting was held at Louie Restivo's house. The attendees were Joe Massino (boss) and Sal Vitale (underboss) from the Bonanno family. Larry Dentico (captain/ruling panel) from the Genovese family. Peter Gotti (acting boss) from the Gambino family. Louie Daidone (acting boss) from the Lucchese family. And Joel Cacace (consigliere) from the Colombo family.

According to Vitale, a few of the things that were discussed included:

* "They all agreed that from now on we will have to be 100 percent Italian to get straightened out [become a made member]. Your mother couldn't be Irish and your father Italian. Both had to be Italian."

* "They agreed to take five new [made] members" each into their families.

* "If a person was arrested for drugs and went to jail, you would have to wait five years to straighten him out [let him become a made member]."

Also, the idea to merge the Colombos into the other families was floated but rejected.

Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: Dwalin2011] #658029
07/31/12 07:05 PM
07/31/12 07:05 PM
D
danielperrygin Offline
Underboss
danielperrygin  Offline
D
Underboss
Bill Bonanno describes a chairman of the commisson being a rotating position, if i remember right. Al th chairman did was "call together the circle" and basically ran the meeting from a moderator stand point.

Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: Dwalin2011] #658267
08/02/12 11:38 AM
08/02/12 11:38 AM
Your Mom's House
Jimmy_Two_Times Offline
Underboss
Jimmy_Two_Times  Offline
Underboss
Your Mom's House
Thanks Ivy for that info... where can I read more about the Massino meeting in 2000?

Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: IvyLeague] #658315
08/02/12 04:19 PM
08/02/12 04:19 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

Yeah, the meeting was held at Louie Restivo's house. The attendees were Joe Massino (boss) and Sal Vitale (underboss) from the Bonanno family. Larry Dentico (captain/ruling panel) from the Genovese family. Peter Gotti (acting boss) from the Gambino family. Louie Daidone (acting boss) from the Lucchese family. And Joel Cacace (consigliere) from the Colombo family.

* "They all agreed that from now on we will have to be 100 percent Italian to get straightened out [become a made member]. Your mother couldn't be Irish and your father Italian. Both had to be Italian."

* "If a person was arrested for drugs and went to jail, you would have to wait five years to straighten him out [let him become a made member]."

Also, the idea to merge the Colombos into the other families was floated but rejected.

Joel Cacace must have been scrambling trying to think of a defense for his crew.

Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: Jimmy_Two_Times] #658324
08/02/12 06:11 PM
08/02/12 06:11 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Jimmy_Two_Times
Thanks Ivy for that info... where can I read more about the Massino meeting in 2000?

There's just been snippets here and there in books about Massino and Vitale, articles about them, and court testimony from Vitale.

Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: IvyLeague] #658436
08/03/12 01:44 PM
08/03/12 01:44 PM
boston/north end
Joerusso Offline
consigleire
Joerusso  Offline
consigleire
Underboss
boston/north end
so if the commision is supposed to be the bosses from all or most the families why the philly, chicago la, partairca,buffalo and even the jersey bosses not there. why is always the five in ny to be the headquarters of such i know the history and power there (as far as numbers ) butnot taking anything away its just idk like the give me one reason yall think the other bosses from the other existing factor families

raymond l.s.patrairca sr to u.s. state committee- " if i didnt have my case coming up ill to come back in here with two gentlemen and when this is over with and really lay down the law, yous guys been giving me nothing but alot of hookwhick and i wish i wasnt on trial and have this case and really tell the united states whats going on "
Jerry Anguilo on wartime with winter hill - " If we got to war we got Joe Russo and the maverick boys so we have nothing to worry about they can go to vietnam and come back untouched "
Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: Joerusso] #658484
08/03/12 04:45 PM
08/03/12 04:45 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Joerusso
so if the commision is supposed to be the bosses from all or most the families why the philly, chicago la, partairca,buffalo and even the jersey bosses not there. why is always the five in ny to be the headquarters of such i know the history and power there (as far as numbers ) butnot taking anything away its just idk like the give me one reason yall think the other bosses from the other existing factor families

The Commission actually never involved all, or even most, of the bosses. The timeline below may be informative. The information comes mainly from Jerry Capeci...

1931 - The original Commission consisted of the bosses of the 5 NY families, as well as the bosses of the Buffalo and Chicago families.

1957 - the Appalachin meeting was technically not a Comission meeting, which was held every 5 years, but a special conference where leaders around the country were invited.

1961 - the bosses of the Philadelphia and Detroit families were added to the Commission.

1960's - the Chicago Outfit starts to miss more Commission meetings, which eventually resulted in a two-headed Commission with Chicago resolving family disputes west of them.

1974 - the Buffalo family loses it's seat on the Commission when boss Stefano Magaddino dies.

1977 - the Detroit family loses it's Commission seat when boss Joseph Zerilli dies.

1980 - the Philadelphia family loses it's Commission seat when boss Angelo Bruno is killed.

1985 - the leaders of the five New York families are indicted in the "Commission case."

Early 1980's - the Bonanno family loses it's Commission seat due to a number of reasons including the family not being unified, it's excessive involvement in narcotics, and the infiltration of FBI agent Joseph Pistone from 1976 to 1982.

1980's - the New York and Chicago families lost more contact due to prosecutions that brought new leaders that were unacquinted with each other, as well as the weakening of New York and Chicago control of the four international union through prosecutions and internal reform. The Commission essentially becomes a New York enterprise.

2000 - leaders from the 5 New York families attend a meeting chaired by Bonanno boss, Joseph Massino. After he had flipped, Massino would later testify in court that the Commission hadn't existed since the 1980's. Despite ongoing meetings of leaders afterward, including the one where Chin and Gotti met, apparently Massino felt these did not warrant real Commission meetings because they did not involve the official bosses of all the families.

* It should also be noted that, at one time or another over the years, the Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, New England, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh families had been represented on the Commission by the Genovese family."

Last edited by IvyLeague; 08/03/12 04:48 PM.

Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: IvyLeague] #689961
01/11/13 09:01 AM
01/11/13 09:01 AM
ne philly
merlino Offline
jesus quintana
merlino  Offline
jesus quintana
Underboss
ne philly
Originally Posted By: Joerusso

The Commission actually never involved all, or even most, of the bosses. The timeline below may be informative. The information comes mainly from Jerry Capeci...

1931 - The original Commission consisted of the bosses of the 5 NY families, as well as the bosses of the Buffalo and Chicago families.

1957 - the Appalachin meeting was technically not a Comission meeting, which was held every 5 years, but a special conference where leaders around the country were invited.

1961 - the bosses of the Philadelphia and Detroit families were added to the Commission.

1960's - the Chicago Outfit starts to miss more Commission meetings, which eventually resulted in a two-headed Commission with Chicago resolving family disputes west of them.

1974 - the Buffalo family loses it's seat on the Commission when boss Stefano Magaddino dies.

1977 - the Detroit family loses it's Commission seat when boss Joseph Zerilli dies.

1980 - the Philadelphia family loses it's Commission seat when boss Angelo Bruno is killed.

1985 - the leaders of the five New York families are indicted in the "Commission case."

Early 1980's - the Bonanno family loses it's Commission seat due to a number of reasons including the family not being unified, it's excessive involvement in narcotics, and the infiltration of FBI agent Joseph Pistone from 1976 to 1982.

1980's - the New York and Chicago families lost more contact due to prosecutions that brought new leaders that were unacquinted with each other, as well as the weakening of New York and Chicago control of the four international union through prosecutions and internal reform. The Commission essentially becomes a New York enterprise.

2000 - leaders from the 5 New York families attend a meeting chaired by Bonanno boss, Joseph Massino. After he had flipped, Massino would later testify in court that the Commission hadn't existed since the 1980's. Despite ongoing meetings of leaders afterward, including the one where Chin and Gotti met, apparently Massino felt these did not warrant real Commission meetings because they did not involve the official bosses of all the families.

* It should also be noted that, at one time or another over the years, the Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, New England, New Jersey, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh families had been represented on the Commission by the Genovese family."

Just watching last night about the Joe Bonnano and his family and was wondering about what you listed here thanks a bunch it is great helo and very thorough!!

Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: IvyLeague] #689964
01/11/13 09:06 AM
01/11/13 09:06 AM
Your Mom's House
Jimmy_Two_Times Offline
Underboss
Jimmy_Two_Times  Offline
Underboss
Your Mom's House
Originally Posted By: Jimmy_Two_Times

There's just been snippets here and there in books about Massino and Vitale, articles about them, and court testimony from Vitale.

cool, many thanks!

Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: IvyLeague] #689998
01/11/13 12:06 PM
01/11/13 12:06 PM
Massachusetts
southend Offline
Underboss
southend  Offline
Underboss
Massachusetts

You mean they were considering merging the Colombos into another family and making them one, therefore leaving only 4 NY families,is that what u mean?

Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: southend] #690030
01/11/13 02:16 PM
01/11/13 02:16 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: southend
You mean they were considering merging the Colombos into another family and making them one, therefore leaving only 4 NY families,is that what u mean?

I believe they were considering the other four families all take in the Colombo members. But it was rejected since, besides not being very practical, they felt it would be disrespectful to Carmine Persico.

Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: southend] #690044
01/11/13 03:14 PM
01/11/13 03:14 PM
A
azguy Offline
Underboss
azguy  Offline
A
Underboss
I've read a few times that it was seriously discussed on more than one occasion that the Colombo's be consolidated out...

"In onore della Famiglia la Famiglia e' aperta"
Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: Dwalin2011] #690045
01/11/13 03:20 PM
01/11/13 03:20 PM
A
azguy Offline
Underboss
azguy  Offline
A
Underboss
Also, I read someone that in the 60's and 70's commission meetings were comprised of any boss from the the 10-12 recognized families in America.

Word would go out that meeting was needed and what the subject matter was and Boss's would respond as if they could attend.

Anywhere from 5-7 Bosses would get together and solve an issue or dispute, it wasn't just a NY thing...I think it may have been in the Scarpa FBI paperwork that someone linked in here about a month ago.

"In onore della Famiglia la Famiglia e' aperta"
Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: azguy] #690054
01/11/13 03:46 PM
01/11/13 03:46 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Castellano loved those meetings in the early 1980s. Especially if it involved construction, something he had great knowledge of. He was a brilliant negotiator and the meetings allowed him to show off and shine in front of the others. Some guys gets a new haircut to feel better, Castellano called in Commission meetings. smile

[Linked Image]
Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: HairyKnuckles] #690571
01/14/13 03:04 AM
01/14/13 03:04 AM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Castellano loved those meetings in the early 1980s. Especially if it involved construction, something he had great knowledge of. He was a brilliant negotiator and the meetings allowed him to show off and shine in front of the others. Some guys gets a new haircut to feel better, Castellano called in Commission meetings. smile

I think most people feel better once they've gotten a haircut you feel fresh to death like dougie

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: Chairman of the commission [Re: HairyKnuckles] #690590
01/14/13 06:34 AM
01/14/13 06:34 AM
LCN1987 Offline
Mannaggia alla miseria
LCN1987  Offline
Mannaggia alla miseria
Capo
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Probably why he was so well liked by the other bosses, in stark contrast to that of his soldiers and capos.

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull