GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (GangstersInc), 269 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,491
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,923
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,334
Posts1,058,819
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 32 of 73 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 72 73
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #657480
07/27/12 09:53 PM
07/27/12 09:53 PM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
^^^ some good points. my comment wasn't really directed at anybody. thats why i won't play this stupid fucking left or right game because people get this "its us vs them" team mentality. i look at every issue differently. sometimes i have a conservative view and sometimes a liberal view, but i don't classify them as such. they are my own opinions.

It's either blue cheese with wings or go fuck yer mudda!
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Five_Felonies] #657482
07/27/12 09:59 PM
07/27/12 09:59 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
^^^ some good points. my comment wasn't really directed at anybody. thats why i won't play this stupid fucking left or right game because people get this "its us vs them" team mentality. i look at every issue differently. sometimes i have a conservative view and sometimes a liberal view, but i don't classify them as such. they are my own opinions.

Yep, I am the same way honestly. I fall on either decide depending on the issue. In the past, I was much more conservative being from a traditional Latin family not exposed to things like homosexuals, etc for the most part until I went to college (a very affluent one). I learned to accept people for who they are and not look down/hate them for what they believe.

I have never supported a candidate based on his party affiliation, I always support based on their stance on the issues. Case in point, in my short voting life (I am a registered democrat) but have voted for MORE republicans than democrats.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #657483
07/27/12 10:04 PM
07/27/12 10:04 PM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
not trying to get off topic, but i never understood the whole anti-gay thing. my thing is do whatever(or whoever) the hell you want as long as it doesn't hurt me or anybody else, but some people just can't understand that.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #657484
07/27/12 10:05 PM
07/27/12 10:05 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
As heinous as this crime was, and it certainly was, where was the outrage when the whites in South Africa committed atrocities against blacks for GENERATIONS??? Where were the slimy, soulless, piece of shit conservatives then? I don't remember any calls for whites to be executed. Where was your anger and sense of justice then???

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Sicilian Babe] #657489
07/27/12 10:10 PM
07/27/12 10:10 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
As heinous as this crime was, and it certainly was, where was the outrage when the whites in South Africa committed atrocities against blacks for GENERATIONS??? Where were the slimy, soulless, piece of shit conservatives then? I don't remember any calls for whites to be executed. Where was your anger and sense of justice then???

Speaking for myself, I'd want the same justice. It's not an issue of race to me. It's about seeing the perpetrators get what they deserve. Black or white.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Dapper_Don] #657490
07/27/12 10:12 PM
07/27/12 10:12 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don

I never said (didnt say anything) that I dont support the maximum penalty for these guys or others who commit similarly horrific crimes. I support throwing the book at them and let me get a good crack at them as well. I was just agreeing on the point that conservatives always have to attack liberals with all these hateful and disgusting language, that doesnt help create a positive atmosphere for people to sit down and discuss their differences.

In that South Africa case, the court and BOTH parties oppose the death penalty. Just in case anybody glazed over that point (I did at first).

Because it's liberal idealism that often keeps justice from being done in cases like this. That's what's so frustrating. Not just that atrocities like this happen. But that true justice can't be meted out because it would offend the delicate sensibilities of some misguided liberal.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Five_Felonies] #657493
07/27/12 10:16 PM
07/27/12 10:16 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

not trying to get off topic, but i never understood the whole anti-gay thing. my thing is do whatever(or whoever) the hell you want as long as it doesn't hurt me or anybody else, but some people just can't understand that.

I guess it depends on how you define "anti-gay." As anyone can see by my posts, I'm pretty conservative. And religious. At the same time, I have two gay brothers. I love them and I think they should live and be well, as the saying goes. I don't want to see them be persecuted. But that doesn't mean I don't see a moral problem as far as their lifestyle goes. And I don't think they have a "right" to marry. Or at least for their "union" to be recognized in society the same way marriage between a man and a woman is.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Five_Felonies] #657495
07/27/12 10:17 PM
07/27/12 10:17 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

I actually agree with you on the partisan, Left vs. Right thing. But I don't know how else to frame it. As it is typically "the Left" who would see these scumbags simply do life in prison rather being sent to meet their Maker.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: IvyLeague] #657498
07/27/12 10:23 PM
07/27/12 10:23 PM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
I guess it depends on how you define "anti-gay." As anyone can see by my posts, I'm pretty conservative. And religious. At the same time, I have two gay brothers. I love them and I think they should live and be well, as the saying goes. I don't want to see them be persecuted. But that doesn't mean I don't see a moral problem as far as their lifestyle goes. And I don't think they have a "right" to marry. Or at least for their "union" to be recognized in society the same way marriage between a man and a woman is.
fair enough. with me, i'm not religious at all so maybe thats why it does't seem morally wrong to me. i think people are just different, some just like the same sex. its not what most people feel but i don't think that makes it wrong. as far as marriage goes i don't see how people think if two gays are married then it somehow makes thier marriage less sacred but take that for what its worth because i don't wanna be married anyway

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: IvyLeague] #657500
07/27/12 10:29 PM
07/27/12 10:29 PM
New Jersey
Five_Felonies Offline
Underboss
Five_Felonies  Offline
Underboss
New Jersey
I actually agree with you on the partisan, Left vs. Right thing. But I don't know how else to frame it. As it is typically "the Left" who would see these scumbags simply do life in prison rather being sent to meet their Maker.
its trickey sometimes. with me, i'm all over the place.

pro gun.
pro drug legalization(at least weed anyways).
pro gay rights.

i guess they call that libertarian

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Sicilian Babe] #657501
07/27/12 10:31 PM
07/27/12 10:31 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe

many people forget that or choose not to think about it.You are right.

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: IvyLeague] #657506
07/27/12 10:43 PM
07/27/12 10:43 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York

I never said (didnt say anything) that I dont support the maximum penalty for these guys or others who commit similarly horrific crimes. I support throwing the book at them and let me get a good crack at them as well. I was just agreeing on the point that conservatives always have to attack liberals with all these hateful and disgusting language, that doesnt help create a positive atmosphere for people to sit down and discuss their differences.

In that South Africa case, the court and BOTH parties oppose the death penalty. Just in case anybody glazed over that point (I did at first).

Because it's liberal idealism that often keeps justice from being done in cases like this. That's what's so frustrating. Not just that atrocities like this happen. But that true justice can't be meted out because it would offend the delicate sensibilities of some misguided liberal.

I agree with you, it is frustrating. In terms of the death penalty or a guy being sent to jail for X number of years and then after the fact the guy gets the death penalty or spends tons of years in jail you find out he was right and didnt commit the crime and was wrongly convicted or got the death penalty, THAT pisses me off. That's why I dont support the death penalty just willy nilly (and plus its actually MORE expensive to give somebody the death penalty than to give them life because of all the appeals and lawyer fees - thats the fiscal conservative in me) lol

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Dapper_Don] #657510
07/27/12 10:51 PM
07/27/12 10:51 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

I agree with you, it is frustrating. In terms of the death penalty or a guy being sent to jail for X number of years and then after the fact the guy gets the death penalty or spends tons of years in jail you find out he was right and didnt commit the crime and was wrongly convicted or got the death penalty, THAT pisses me off. That's why I dont support the death penalty just willy nilly (and plus its actually MORE expensive to give somebody the death penalty than to give them life because of all the appeals and lawyer fees - thats the fiscal conservative in me) lol

As much as you may like to focus on them, just in terms of sheer numbers, the guys who end up being proven innocent years later are few and far between. Almost so small, as a percentage, to not even register.

And, as I've said over and over again, that it's more expensive to execute someone is a reason to completely overhaul the process. Streamline it and make it much quicker. Not a reason to do away with the death penalty.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: IvyLeague] #657512
07/27/12 10:57 PM
07/27/12 10:57 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York

As much as you may like to focus on them, just in terms of sheer numbers, the guys who end up being proven innocent years later are few and far between. Almost so small, as a percentage, to not even register.

And, as I've said over and over again, that it's more expensive to execute someone is a reason to completely overhaul the process. Streamline it and make it much quicker. Not a reason to do away with the death penalty.

Everyday more and more people are found to have been wrongly convicted it's actually gone up over time due to new technology, even if it only one percent or less. It doesnt make it right.

I agree it should be streamlined, but that wont necessarily calm my concerns. What if its so streamlined that the guy doesnt even get to appeal, etc? And then after the fact we found out he was innocent (it has happen, i read about in yahoo news all the time). Not surprisingly, its been happening in high numbers in a number of southern states like Texas.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Dapper_Don] #657515
07/27/12 11:23 PM
07/27/12 11:23 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
DD, given your posts, I'm surprised that you advocate streamling death penalty appeals. The Innocence Project has just nipped the tip of the exoneration iceberg and it only has potential for success when there is DNA evidence available. As I've posted elsewhere, some Board members eschew due process and post rather vitriolic statements to assuage their own feelings.

You are right about Texas. Of the 297 Project exonerations, 46 have been in Texas and a good many of those in Dallas County. Here's the link:

http://www.innocenceproject.org/news/state.php?state=TX

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #657518
07/27/12 11:44 PM
07/27/12 11:44 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: olivant
DD, given your posts, I'm surprised that you advocate streamling death penalty appeals. The Innocence Project has just nipped the tip of the exoneration iceberg and it only has potential for success when there is DNA evidence available. As I've posted elsewhere, some Board members eschew due process and post rather vitriolic statements to assuage their own feelings.

You are right about Texas. Of the 297 Project exonerations, 46 have been in Texas and a good many of those in Dallas County. Here's the link:

http://www.innocenceproject.org/news/state.php?state=TX

I know a few girls who work at the Innocence project, great organization. I bet a good portion of those 46 people are minorities which are prejudiced by the criminal justice system in the first place (shame). Let me rephrase what I wrote. I dont actively advocate for streamlining the death penalty process cause like I stated above that wont necessarily quell my major concern which is people having the opportunity to bring in other evidence that might have been overlooked, etc to plead their case. I support it in the sense that I dont want millions of dollars in taxpayer money spent on guys like Vinny Gorgeous Basciano dragging/fighting his death penalty trial. The govt already has spent tons more $$$$$ paying for this guys legal bills over (over $3 million) than what they would have paid in total if he was just sentenced to life.

If you want to see a real life/entertaining example of what I am talking about, watch The Hurricane with Denzel Washington. IMO, awesome movie.

Last edited by Dapper_Don; 07/27/12 11:47 PM.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Five_Felonies] #657523
07/28/12 12:23 AM
07/28/12 12:23 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

i'm not liberal or conservative, but put political views aside for a moment and look at the story ivy posted. imagine that the victims were your family or close friends. how would you feel if someone commited an act like that and had a chance to one day be free again? it would suck out your life blood and crush you. certain crimes are so horrible that the people who commit them need to die, end of story. they should die in the same manner in which they killed thier victims but that's unlikely to happen so i'm okay with them just being executed with current means but it needs to happen, and happen quick. none of this 20 years on death row bullshit. people often say revenge isn't the answer and that can be true, but not in cases like these!

Forgiveness comes on a personal level. But that doesn't mean society doesn't have a responsibility to punish the offender accordingly. It's not a question of revenge. It's a question of justice. And allowing absolute scum like this to continue to live is a complete robbery of justice. Nothing but their lives will suffice.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #657542
07/28/12 03:40 AM
07/28/12 03:40 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
Hurricane Carter movie was good, but quite untrue. Same for the Bob Dylan song. I believe he was guilty. In movie he is top fighter, in real life he was out of contention at time of his arrest for murder. They show police being jealous of his money, when in reality he was scraping by in months leading to his arrest. In Dylan song, he is called number one contender for crown, which he was not. After the fight shown where he loses for title, he lost most of his following fights. he was in financial downfall when arrested, not doing well as movie showed.

Aside from aspect of his crime, he also did not get robbed of title, the man he fought sued producers and they immediately settled.

here is a good read on him http://www.graphicwitness.com/carter/moviepoints.html

Last edited by jace; 07/28/12 03:42 AM.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #657547
07/28/12 05:59 AM
07/28/12 05:59 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Since 1973, 130 people have been released from death row when post trial evidence proved their innocence. If you happened to be wrongly convicted and waiting for your wrongful execution for a crime you didn't commit, you probably wouldn't want streamlined death penalty cases.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Lilo] #657560
07/28/12 09:48 AM
07/28/12 09:48 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Lilo
Since 1973, 130 people have been released from death row when post trial evidence proved their innocence. If you happened to be wrongly convicted and waiting for your wrongful execution for a crime you didn't commit, you probably wouldn't want streamlined death penalty cases.

So, you're saying as long as guilt is certain - caught at the scene of the crime, DNA, confession, etc. - you're OK with the death penalty?

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: jace] #657601
07/28/12 12:49 PM
07/28/12 12:49 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: jace
Hurricane Carter movie was good, but quite untrue. Same for the Bob Dylan song. I believe he was guilty. In movie he is top fighter, in real life he was out of contention at time of his arrest for murder. They show police being jealous of his money, when in reality he was scraping by in months leading to his arrest. In Dylan song, he is called number one contender for crown, which he was not. After the fight shown where he loses for title, he lost most of his following fights. he was in financial downfall when arrested, not doing well as movie showed.

Aside from aspect of his crime, he also did not get robbed of title, the man he fought sued producers and they immediately settled.

here is a good read on him http://www.graphicwitness.com/carter/moviepoints.html

Thanks for sharing

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #657793
07/29/12 10:12 PM
07/29/12 10:12 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Just a reminder to Board members: jury selection in the Drew Peterson trial is underway, so the trial should begin this week.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #657803
07/29/12 11:54 PM
07/29/12 11:54 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Just a reminder to Board members: jury selection in the Drew Peterson trial is underway, so the trial should begin this week.

I thought that happened 10 years ago?

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #657806
07/30/12 12:22 AM
07/30/12 12:22 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

It seems like it. He was arrested three years ago.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #657835
07/30/12 12:13 PM
07/30/12 12:13 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti

Are you perhaps confusing him with Scott Peterson, who was convicted of murdering his wife 10 years ago?

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Sicilian Babe] #657838
07/30/12 12:30 PM
07/30/12 12:30 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Yes, Scott Peterson is serving life in jail.

Scott was the young clean-cut, good-looking, charming guy that fooled everyone at first with his fake concern about his missing wife. Drew, on the other hand,is total opposite. The guy immediately came across as an arrogant, slime-ball. Point being that looks can be deceiving or not. They both are scum.

Btw, isn't Drew being charged with this 3rd wife's murder and NOT his last wife, Stacey (I believe). confused

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #658034
07/31/12 07:54 PM
07/31/12 07:54 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I would like to know what everyone, but especially anyone who's a lawyer or otherwise legally expert, thinks about this.

I watched most of Scalia's C-SPAN interview the other night. The man may well be a jerk but he's an extremely intelligent jerk. Two points he made stand out and require further discussion.

1) He put forth the idea that US Constitution has a fixed meaning which in many instances can be resolved by the text itself and what it meant to those who wrote it at the time. For example, given that capital punishment was extant at the time of ratification, it is senseless to argue that the constitutional prohibition against "cruel and unusual punishment" by definition makes capital punishment today unconstitutional. It may be a bad idea. It may be stupid. It may be vicious. It may not solve anything. But it's not unconstitutional. Per Scalia, to argue that our ideas and values have changed and therefore so has the constitution is to make the constitution meaningless. That's how Scalia sees it anyway.

Discuss. What are the weaknesses in this line of reasoning and if we agree that meanings must change how do we avoid saying the constitution is whatever we say it is?

2) Scalia was openly contemptuous of cameras in the court. He said that much of what justices do is stuff that requires intense knowledge of the legal code. It's not just them being philosopher-kings. He claimed that the only positive thing cameras might do is answer stupid questions (my interpretation, not his word though his tone did change to mocking) about why it's a good idea for SC justices to be lawyers/judges or law professors as legal professionals are the only people with the knowledge or patience to do this work or find it interesting.

Should SC justices have to be legally certified in some way? Scalia seems to think so.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Lilo] #658036
07/31/12 08:30 PM
07/31/12 08:30 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Well, I don't agree with him that the Constitution has a fixed meaning. Some of it does, but not all of it by any means. However, I agree with him that since capital punishment was extant in 1787 and thereafter, the 8th amendment does not mitigate it. However, the 8th amendment is one of the Constitution's clauses that is definitely subject to interpretation.

Also, the fact many of the state conventions that considered ratification of the Constitution proposed among them over 200 amendments to it illustrates that there were many people back then who did not agree about what the Constitution's words meant. The fact that 10 amendments were approved confirms that.

I disagree with him quite a bit that the leading clause of the 2nd amendment is simply declaratory.

I don't want to see cameras in federal court.

Last edited by olivant; 07/31/12 08:44 PM.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #658038
07/31/12 08:36 PM
07/31/12 08:36 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

A few exceptions aside, I'll take the morals and wisdom over the founding fathers, who wrote the Constitution, over the self-professed enlightened intellectuals of today. Hence the reason I lean much more towards a "strict constructionist" idea than the "evolving" notion of the Constitution. Because it has ended up being a case of the Constitution saying whatever a handful of judges say it does.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #658110
08/01/12 08:15 AM
08/01/12 08:15 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
The way in which one attorney explained it to me is that the Constitution can almost always be used to settle procedural issues but not substantive ones. That is if we want to know how old do you have to be to run for president, that's defined in the Constitution.

But if you want to know what is the precise difference between fair use and copyright violation or where the limits of the 14th amendment are or what's the difference between a tax and penalty or other substantive questions, the Constitution alone often does not speak to those issues sufficiently.

The Court has to interpret whether certain textual provisions apply to certain substantive situations which results in case law. The other issue is that not every question raised today was contemplated in 1789. There's nothing in the Constitution that states that "everything herein must be interpreted as WE understand it in 1789". And that's a good thing too as some of the Founders had pretty problematic viewpoints. In any event the Courts under Article III must interpret the law and apply it to cases as they arise. Imperfect but so is any system.

Winter is Coming

Page 32 of 73 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 72 73

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull