GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 289 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,982
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,356
Posts1,059,115
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: olivant] #657371
07/27/12 12:05 PM
07/27/12 12:05 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: olivant
Again, there are several Board members who don't see their investment in adherence to due process. Why? Because they don't see themselves as ever having to be subject to the criminal justice process. So they eschew it to assuage their emotions.

Well, Oli, as much as you make me bang my head off my keyboard at times, there is truth to that statement. What's the old saying? A Democrat is just a Republican who's been to jail?

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: IvyLeague] #657413
07/27/12 02:38 PM
07/27/12 02:38 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
It still amazes me how much people (usually the ones who are against the death penalty) bring up the deterrent factor. It's not so much about deterrence as justice. When you consider his crime, and the effects long after the fact, him simply getting life in prison (free room and board courtesy of the state) isn't justice. He needs to forfeit his life.

Read the rest of my post, Ivy. I made that very point: the victims and society are entitled to justice.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: pizzaboy] #657458
07/27/12 07:30 PM
07/27/12 07:30 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Five_Felonies
i think what they should do to him is the same thing that happened to the circus guy in sons of anarchy that raped the girl

That would work for me, but how about crucifixion as a deterrent?

Rome may have fallen, but they still had a pretty good run whistle.

Very true, we are already going downhill anyway due to globalization, etc. The next millenium will be the story of the BRIC's (Brazil, Russia not so much, India, and China).

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: furio_from_naples] #657488
07/27/12 10:10 PM
07/27/12 10:10 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
How about we have evolved as a people and we have due process now, which needs to extend rights to the guilty in order to protect the innocent as well???

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #657517
07/27/12 11:29 PM
07/27/12 11:29 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
How about we have evolved as a people and we have due process now, which needs to extend rights to the guilty in order to protect the innocent as well???

That's a refreshing break from some Board posts which seem to be little more than an opportunity for some to emote. They contribute little or nothing.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: olivant] #657525
07/28/12 12:26 AM
07/28/12 12:26 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: olivant

That's a refreshing break from some Board posts which seem to be little more than an opportunity for some to emote. They contribute little or nothing.

Again, I'm all for "due process" as long as justice is done in the end. This guy getting "3 hots and a cot" for the rest of his life wouldn't be justice. And, frankly, allowing him to be on death row while the joke of a legal system allows appeal after appeal for the next 20+ years isn't justice either. What's the saying? "Justice delayed is justice denied."

Conduct the trial. And when he is found guilty, which he is, he gets one appeal. After that, take him to another room in the courthouse, make him kneel down, and shoot him in the head. And make his family pay for the bullet.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 07/28/12 12:27 AM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: furio_from_naples] #657540
07/28/12 03:28 AM
07/28/12 03:28 AM
J
jace Offline
Suspended
jace  Offline
Suspended
J
Underboss
He committed a horrible act. However, he does seem to be genuinely insane. He had no motive, like political, revenge, financial, or racial. He did it for some reason probably he only can comprehend.

Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: olivant] #657555
07/28/12 08:17 AM
07/28/12 08:17 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: olivant
Original geschrieben von: Danito
Original geschrieben von: SC
What unites the promoters of death penalty and the shooter: Killing as a solution.

The politics of Germany in the 1930s.

??

D, SC is right. The Third Reich's pogrom (and that's a rather sedate term to use) sought resolution of a perceived problem in murder.

Are you saying that the killings of jews in the 30s (that is before WWII) had anything to do with crime prevention?
I have the feeling I'm not getting what you and SC are really referring to:
Why do you refer to Nazi-Germany at all?
Are you talking about the holocaust, the pogroms or the death penalty in Germany?

Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: Danito] #657557
07/28/12 09:05 AM
07/28/12 09:05 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: Danito
Are you talking about the holocaust, the pogroms or the death penalty in Germany?

You're the one who used the term "killing as a solution". The Nazis called it the "Final Solution".

Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: SC] #657677
07/29/12 04:33 AM
07/29/12 04:33 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: SC

You're the one who used the term "killing as a solution". The Nazis called it the "Final Solution".

That was in the 40s. But anyway, I agree. Killing as a solution has something totalitarian.
Strange enough, the US is one of the few democracies which still execute death penalty.

Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: furio_from_naples] #657748
07/29/12 03:23 PM
07/29/12 03:23 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
I don't agree with the death penalty. I've went back and forth on it for years, but at the end of the day, murder is murder, whether it is committed by a psychopath or a doctor with a needle. I'm not saying that I don't think there are people out there who deserve to die for their crimes. What I take issue with is justifying one type of killing, but not another. It just doesn't sit well with me.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: XDCX] #657767
07/29/12 05:22 PM
07/29/12 05:22 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: XDCX
I don't agree with the death penalty. I've went back and forth on it for years, but at the end of the day, murder is murder, whether it is committed by a psychopath or a doctor with a needle. I'm not saying that I don't think there are people out there who deserve to die for their crimes. What I take issue with is justifying one type of killing, but not another. It just doesn't sit well with me.

You make a very good point. The fact that we in the United States are quite discreet and varied on the state and federal level when it comes to defining circumstances when the death penalty can be applied supports your statement "justifying one type of killing, but not another."

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: XDCX] #657932
07/31/12 04:10 AM
07/31/12 04:10 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

According to your thinking, a soldier who kills an enemy combatant in war is a murderer.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: IvyLeague] #657933
07/31/12 04:15 AM
07/31/12 04:15 AM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club

According to your thinking, a soldier who kills an enemy combatant in war is a murderer.

I think some people play too many damn video games

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: IvyLeague] #657971
07/31/12 10:58 AM
07/31/12 10:58 AM
Pennsylvania
klydon1 Offline
klydon1  Offline

Pennsylvania

Your analogy is misplaced, Ivy. A killing committed by a soldier in combat is not murder, but justifiable homicide. The killing can become murder if a soldier kills an enemy, who is captive and poses no immediate threat to the soldier.

Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: klydon1] #657973
07/31/12 11:39 AM
07/31/12 11:39 AM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
Politicians responsible for starting wars who send soldiers to attack another country can be considered mass murderers and the soldiers who follow the orders WILLINGLY can be as well, from a moral point of view.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: IvyLeague] #657974
07/31/12 11:49 AM
07/31/12 11:49 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California

Yea, that's not even close to what I said. Murder is murder when their is premeditation, when there is intent to kill someone. The vast majority of soldiers who go to war don't go to kill other people. True, they know that they may come across a situation where killing someone is necessary in order to protect themselves and their squad. But I can guarantee you the vast majority of soldiers don't go out on patrol with the intention to kill someone.

"Growing up my dad was like 'You have a great last name, Galifianakis. Galifianakis...begins with a gal...and ends with a kiss...' I'm like that's great dad, can we get it changed to 'Galifianafuck' please?" -- Zach Galifianakis

Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: klydon1] #657991
07/31/12 02:07 PM
07/31/12 02:07 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Yea, that's not even close to what I said. Murder is murder when their is premeditation, when there is intent to kill someone. The vast majority of soldiers who go to war don't go to kill other people. True, they know that they may come across a situation where killing someone is necessary in order to protect themselves and their squad. But I can guarantee you the vast majority of soldiers don't go out on patrol with the intention to kill someone.

Ever hear of 2nd degree murder? No premeditation involved. And, in war, it's generally understood that soldiers will kill the enemy in certain conditions. And they train just for that.

Bottom line, your "murder is murder" way of thinking doesn't hold water. Because you're saying the state executing a murderer makes them murderers themselves. And it's obviously not that black and white.

Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: IvyLeague] #658103
08/01/12 02:55 AM
08/01/12 02:55 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Second-degree murder still speaks to an offender's obvious lack of concern for human life. They may not have planned to kill whoever it was that they killed, but their conduct was such that a death was possible based on their actions. On that basis, sure, a soldier killing someone in action could be construed as murder. It wouldn't be construed that way by me or anyone else I know, though.

As for an execution being murder, I know that there are laws and statutes in place that protect an executioner from being considered a murderer. I know that execution is considered a "justifiable homicide." What I feel, and what I know, however, are two different things. It doesn't sit well with me that a state with capital punishment can kill someone because they killed someone else. I don't call that punishment, I call that hypocrisy.

And to reiterate, I'm not saying this guy doesn't deserve to die for what he did. What I'm saying is I don't believe in capital punishment carried out by the state. Period.

Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: XDCX] #658107
08/01/12 03:35 AM
08/01/12 03:35 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Second-degree murder still speaks to an offender's obvious lack of concern for human life. They may not have planned to kill whoever it was that they killed, but their conduct was such that a death was possible based on their actions. On that basis, sure, a soldier killing someone in action could be construed as murder. It wouldn't be construed that way by me or anyone else I know, though.

As for an execution being murder, I know that there are laws and statutes in place that protect an executioner from being considered a murderer. I know that execution is considered a "justifiable homicide." What I feel, and what I know, however, are two different things. It doesn't sit well with me that a state with capital punishment can kill someone because they killed someone else. I don't call that punishment, I call that hypocrisy.

And to reiterate, I'm not saying this guy doesn't deserve to die for what he did. What I'm saying is I don't believe in capital punishment carried out by the state. Period.

Well, I'd argue there are crimes so heinous that nothing but the life of the murderer is truly justice. Certainly not them simply sitting in the cell for the rest of their life. Getting shelter and food courtesy of the state. And often today they don't spend life in prison but are paroled at some point.

Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: IvyLeague] #658185
08/01/12 06:03 PM
08/01/12 06:03 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California

Well, I'd argue there are crimes so heinous that nothing but the life of the murderer is truly justice. Certainly not them simply sitting in the cell for the rest of their life. Getting shelter and food courtesy of the state. And often today they don't spend life in prison but are paroled at some point.

That is a valid point, as well, but one could also argue that a man sentenced to death will live a pretty comfortable life sitting on death row exhausting his appeals. That's my second problem with capital punishment.

Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: XDCX] #658186
08/01/12 06:24 PM
08/01/12 06:24 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

That is a valid point, as well, but one could also argue that a man sentenced to death will live a pretty comfortable life sitting on death row exhausting his appeals. That's my second problem with capital punishment.

All the more reason to overhaul and streamline the system. No more 20+ years of appeals.

Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: furio_from_naples] #658200
08/01/12 08:46 PM
08/01/12 08:46 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
The problem with a life sentence is that it doesn't mean anything close to life. The prisons are so overcrowded that they cycle people through. Since the vast majority of prisoners are serving drug sentences, if they figured out some other way to deal with them (and I don't mean serious drug dealers, but stupid college kids, for example), that wouldn't necessarily be an issue.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: furio_from_naples] #658376
08/03/12 08:53 AM
08/03/12 08:53 AM
DeMeo Offline
Made Member
DeMeo  Offline
Made Member
I read the other day that Americans would like to see the Colarado shooter executed for the murder of innocent people.

In the next breath, they praised the man who went on the rampage murdering child perverts!

Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: Sicilian Babe] #658504
08/03/12 06:29 PM
08/03/12 06:29 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

The problem with a life sentence is that it doesn't mean anything close to life. The prisons are so overcrowded that they cycle people through. Since the vast majority of prisoners are serving drug sentences, if they figured out some other way to deal with them (and I don't mean serious drug dealers, but stupid college kids, for example), that wouldn't necessarily be an issue.

That's part of my point. Maybe I'd be willing to give more of a listening ear to the bleeding hearts who are against the death penalty if those found guilty of murder actually do serve life. Hell, even those sentenced to life often don't serve life! It's a joke.

As far as overcrowding in prisons, that's another reason for the death penalty. Makes more room. wink

Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: IvyLeague] #658575
08/03/12 10:49 PM
08/03/12 10:49 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
"Taxpayers have spent $4 billion since 1978 on California's capital punishment system -- and with only 13 executions to show for it.

That's about $308 million per execution."

Source: CNN Money

Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: XDCX] #658578
08/03/12 10:56 PM
08/03/12 10:56 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

"Taxpayers have spent $4 billion since 1978 on California's capital punishment system -- and with only 13 executions to show for it.

That's about $308 million per execution."

Source: CNN Money

Sounds like a fine reason to shorten and streamline the whole system! No more 20+ years of appeals.

Of course, it's not like feeding and housing these guys for the rest of their lives doesn't cost a pretty penny too. And those who bring up the cost of capital punishment know this. So it's not really the money that's their major concern, is it?

Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: furio_from_naples] #658580
08/03/12 11:02 PM
08/03/12 11:02 PM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
As I have stated before, my issue with capital punishment is whether or not the government should have the right to kill an individual when we, the people, don't have the right to kill people.

Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: XDCX] #658585
08/03/12 11:20 PM
08/03/12 11:20 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

As I have stated before, my issue with capital punishment is whether or not the government should have the right to kill an individual when we, the people, don't have the right to kill people.

Using that mentality, one could say the government doesn't have the right to imprison people at all because individual citizens don't have the right to imprison people.

Re: Death penalty for Colorado Shooter ? [Re: IvyLeague] #658610
08/04/12 02:51 AM
08/04/12 02:51 AM
California
X
XDCX Offline
XDCX  Offline
X

California
Using that mentality, one could say the government doesn't have the right to imprison people at all because individual citizens don't have the right to imprison people.

That's like comparing apples and oranges, my friend. No one is disputing that people like James Holmes need to be locked up FAR away from regular society.

I agree that life imprisonment works if it truly means spending the rest of one's life in prison. If a jury can prove beyond reasonable doubt that a person committed a crime heinous enough to warrant such a sentence, then lock them up and throw away the key. I'm with you on that.

My issue (and therefore my "mentality", as you call it) lies solely with capital punishment, and you can try to twist it any way you see fit, but the bottom line is this: there is something immoral and hypocritical about punishing someone with death for killing another person.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull