GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (RushStreet), 255 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,444
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 28 of 80 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 79 80
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #654126
07/01/12 10:23 PM
07/01/12 10:23 PM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Homers77;

Sixth Family is a great book, but it tends to overemphasise the Rizzuto Family's stature to a degree. And remember that it came out just before the string of murders took place up there, so it's a little dated now. Mafia Inc. is another great one on Canadian LCN and Italian OC.

Honestly though, its hard to go past Selwyn Raab's Five Families for info on the Chin, Genovese and the NYC mob in general. It only covers up to about 2005 though, so it to is a little dated now considering all that has happened since then. Still a great read but. I seriously hope he does and update soon. Even if it's just another few chapters, Id probably buy the whole damn book again just for them.

Lastly, I know a few guys here didn't like it as much as I did, but Idiots Guide to the Mafia by Jerry Capeci is IMO the best starting point for all this stuff. It not only covers NY, but goes around the US and up to Canada, detailing every LCN family that had ever operated in the country and giving a concise history on them.

(cough.)
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Homers77] #654140
07/01/12 11:07 PM
07/01/12 11:07 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: Homers77
Sorry not a "mafia book".

BMF- Black Mafia Family - it was about the Flenory brothers. They ran a big drug ring and used a car service and rap music as their fronts. It was a very interesting book though.

i figured you were talking about bmf, i hear they are thinking of making a movie about the book, i got to check the book out

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Nova24] #654143
07/01/12 11:26 PM
07/01/12 11:26 PM
The Jokers Social Club
DickNose_Moltasanti Offline
BANNED
DickNose_Moltasanti  Offline
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Originally Posted By: Nova24
Originally Posted By: PhillySteve
Blood and Honor - hands down the best mob book ever written in my opinion. It ends in the late 80's. Wish they would make a part 2 that details the Philly mob from the late 80's to present

This is a good book from Anastasia as well.

I just ordered this hopefully its here tomorrow, it would be funny as hell to hear an audiobook if they have one of "someone mimicking john stanfa on the wiretaps

Random Poster:"I'm sorry I didn't go to an Ivy-league school like you"

"Ah I actually I didn't. It's a nickname the feds gave the
Genovese Family."
Re: Mafia Books [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #654199
07/02/12 11:59 AM
07/02/12 11:59 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I've just ordered the below book, anybody read this..

Mobsters, Unions & Feds: The Mafia & American Labor Movement by James B. Jacobs

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #654234
07/02/12 04:03 PM
07/02/12 04:03 PM
South East Michigan
MrMorbid Offline
Wiseguy
MrMorbid  Offline
Wiseguy
South East Michigan
Hey what's happening guys its been a while since I've been here. Just been busy with life and such. I was wondering if a few of you guys could recommend some books for me to obtain, as I'm in the process of doing a book of my own. Which I'd rather not talk about because I'd spoil the surprise.

Anyway I've got "Five Families" "The Origin of Organized Crime in America" "The Grim Reapers" a handful of biographies, a few mafia based encyclopedias, and things like that.

The type of book I'm looking for should have a lot of names, and dates. I'm primarily looking for biographical data. So any recommendations would be insanely appreciated. Talk to you guys soon.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: MrMorbid] #654575
07/05/12 07:07 PM
07/05/12 07:07 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss

I'm almost finished with this book. Maybe I created the hype in my head but I'm not sure if it's living up to expectations? The implication was Frank Sheeran was very high up in mafia circles from online reading and the book's advertising. In fact it sounds like Russell Bufalino kept him out of the loop on mafia matters on multiple occasions, never telling him where he was driving him to and insisting he was only in Philadelphia for the bread and sausages. I haven't gotten to the Crazy Joe Gallo hit yet, so things might change. But for now it definitely feels off from my expectations.

Oh, I almost forgot. Once again not what I expected, the book actually has good information on Angelo Bruno that we've never really seen before. Out of the supposed 5 murders he ordered in 30 years, the only thing that's common knowledge would be the hit on Joey Mcgreal. But Frank Sheeran brings to light another hit. It's worth it if you want info on Bruno, because he's not portrayed as the mafia saint or martyr many make him out to be. In fact he seems just as angry as the rest of them.

Last edited by BarrettM; 07/05/12 08:35 PM.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Nova24] #655165
07/12/12 11:15 AM
07/12/12 11:15 AM
New Hampshire
Nick_the_Greek Offline
Button
Nick_the_Greek  Offline
Button
New Hampshire
Reading Operation Family Secrets: How a Mobster's Son and the FBI Brought Down Chicago's Murderous Crime Family right now.

Great book, picked it up on Kindle a few weeks ago. Frankie Breeze was a special one...

I must say that I am surprised that Murder Machine got knocked on page one of this thread. I have read that book 10 times, phenomenal book IMO. DeMeo and co's antics were something else...Not a fan of Montiglio (he was on a Nat Geo or BBC special the other day, being paraded as a made guy in one sentence, and an associate the next...lol) and as such, surely there were some tall tales being told (green beret, anyone?) but when it focused on the crew, a top 5 mob book for sure!

Just started re-reading The Butcher: Anatomy of a Mafia Psychopath; Tommy Karate, were it not for his temper, could have been a boss..great read.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: BarrettM] #655287
07/13/12 07:15 AM
07/13/12 07:15 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Originally Posted By: BarrettM

I'm almost finished with this book. Maybe I created the hype in my head but I'm not sure if it's living up to expectations? The implication was Frank Sheeran was very high up in mafia circles from online reading and the book's advertising. In fact it sounds like Russell Bufalino kept him out of the loop on mafia matters on multiple occasions, never telling him where he was driving him to and insisting he was only in Philadelphia for the bread and sausages. I haven't gotten to the Crazy Joe Gallo hit yet, so things might change. But for now it definitely feels off from my expectations.

Oh, I almost forgot. Once again not what I expected, the book actually has good information on Angelo Bruno that we've never really seen before. Out of the supposed 5 murders he ordered in 30 years, the only thing that's common knowledge would be the hit on Joey Mcgreal. But Frank Sheeran brings to light another hit. It's worth it if you want info on Bruno, because he's not portrayed as the mafia saint or martyr many make him out to be. In fact he seems just as angry as the rest of them.

I think I may have posted my opinions on this book earlier in this thread, but what hell; I didn't mind it. It was a good book.

You make a great point on the Bruno info; also, I agree it seems like, as 'close' as they were, Bufalino kept him on a 'need to know' basis. I think it's interesting that even Capeci himself admits that Sheeran's account of the Hoffa murder has the proverbial 'ring of truth'. I must admit, too, I was pretty much sold on his claim to have hit Joey Gallo, but another poster on the other forum makes a formidable claim that he was lying about that particular one (said poster points to Sonny Pinto as the culprit. If your interested, shoot me a PM, I'll send you a link)

One other thing...was I the only one disturbed by his fight with a kangaroo? That's not a metaphor for anything; he reckons he actually boxed a kangaroo. Goddamn.

(cough.)
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #655288
07/13/12 07:44 AM
07/13/12 07:44 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
While Im here...are there any suggestions for a good book on California, LA and West Coast in general LCN? Beyond Jimmy the Weasel's book (which is the staple fare on the topic)?

I dont want to give Kenji any money (I dont think his take is worth a buck anymore). And beside's Fiato's book (which is on the list), Im struggling to find anything. Basically anything West Coast-centric I'd be interested in.

Beside's that, I've got on the list...
Scott Burstein's Motor City Mafia on Detroit

Leonard Katz' Uncle Frank the Frank Costello biography

George A's Blood & Honour (Waited far too long for this one, said to be the definitive account of Scarfo era Philly)

Dick Kreck's Smaldone: The Untold Story of an American Crime Family on Denver's Smaldone brothers. Kinda small time-ish (as far as LCN goes) but definitely interesting. Also on Denver and the Rockies in genreral;

Betty Alt's and Sandra Well's Mountain Mafia, on guys like Joe Roma and, again the brothers Smaldone.

Gus Russo's Supermob on Chicago

Blackhand Strawman on KC

As you could probably tell, basically anything relating to Families outside of NY I'm fascinated by. Any suggestins would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica; 07/13/12 07:49 AM.

(cough.)
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #655344
07/13/12 04:39 PM
07/13/12 04:39 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
I can't think of anything specifically LA centric to Mafia. Supermob is probably the best of the ones you mention or is at least the one I know for sure has the most information about Los Angeles. It details the various connections between upperworld and underworld and how they shaded into each other.

Black Mass and The Underboss are worthwhile examinations of Boston and New England area.
Double Deal claims to be about the Outfit and associated midwest groups from the sixties thru the nineties.
When the Mob ran Vegas is a pretty quick read.
Vicious Circles is an excellent almost academic explanation of organized crime white collar and extortionate activities during sixties and seventies. It's mostly about NY/NJ and Chicago though there are a few other groups mentioned.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #655402
07/14/12 12:24 AM
07/14/12 12:24 AM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Originally Posted By: DickNose_Moltasanti
Originally Posted By: PhillySteve
Blood and Honor - hands down the best mob book ever written in my opinion. It ends in the late 80's. Wish they would make a part 2 that details the Philly mob from the late 80's to present

This is a good book from Anastasia as well.

I just ordered this hopefully its here tomorrow, it would be funny as hell to hear an audiobook if they have one of "someone mimicking john stanfa on the wiretaps

Finished reading "The GoodFella Tapes yesterday. I thought the book was alright not bad but nothing special. There were some interesting conversations picked up on the FBI Bugs in Sal Avena's Law Office. I'm assuming GA didn't have any information about Stanfa's Interest in the Italian Food Industry but wish he would have expanded on that more. Stanfa was very well connected given his roots. His legitimate business's as well as his relatives business ran deep, he should have went back to Sicily, but then again there were to many problems at the time overseas as well as in NY. Oh Well

Genovese Family."
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #655404
07/14/12 12:30 AM
07/14/12 12:30 AM
P
PP Offline
Made Member
PP  Offline
P
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
While Im here...are there any suggestions for a good book on California, LA and West Coast in general LCN? Beyond Jimmy the Weasel's book (which is the staple fare on the topic)?

I dont want to give Kenji any money (I dont think his take is worth a buck anymore). And beside's Fiato's book (which is on the list), Im struggling to find anything. Basically anything West Coast-centric I'd be interested in.

Beside's that, I've got on the list...
Scott Burstein's Motor City Mafia on Detroit

Leonard Katz' Uncle Frank the Frank Costello biography

George A's Blood & Honour (Waited far too long for this one, said to be the definitive account of Scarfo era Philly)

Dick Kreck's Smaldone: The Untold Story of an American Crime Family on Denver's Smaldone brothers. Kinda small time-ish (as far as LCN goes) but definitely interesting. Also on Denver and the Rockies in genreral;

Betty Alt's and Sandra Well's Mountain Mafia, on guys like Joe Roma and, again the brothers Smaldone.

Gus Russo's Supermob on Chicago

Blackhand Strawman on KC

As you could probably tell, basically anything relating to Families outside of NY I'm fascinated by. Any suggestins would be much appreciated.

Couple Chicago books that I liked were:

Family Secrets: The case that crippled the Chicago Mob by Jeff Cohen.

When corruption was King by Robert Cooley with Hillel Levin.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #655422
07/14/12 04:06 AM
07/14/12 04:06 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
I've got Family Secrets; you're right, it was a good one. I'll have to check out Cooley's book.

And thanks Lilo; appreciate the recommendations.

(cough.)
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #655730
07/16/12 08:22 PM
07/16/12 08:22 PM
H
Homers77 Offline
Made Member
Homers77  Offline
H
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
Homers77;

Sixth Family is a great book, but it tends to overemphasise the Rizzuto Family's stature to a degree. And remember that it came out just before the string of murders took place up there, so it's a little dated now. Mafia Inc. is another great one on Canadian LCN and Italian OC.

Honestly though, its hard to go past Selwyn Raab's Five Families for info on the Chin, Genovese and the NYC mob in general. It only covers up to about 2005 though, so it to is a little dated now considering all that has happened since then. Still a great read but. I seriously hope he does and update soon. Even if it's just another few chapters, Id probably buy the whole damn book again just for them.

Lastly, I know a few guys here didn't like it as much as I did, but Idiots Guide to the Mafia by Jerry Capeci is IMO the best starting point for all this stuff. It not only covers NY, but goes around the US and up to Canada, detailing every LCN family that had ever operated in the country and giving a concise history on them.

Thank you for the insight bud! I am actually reading "Mafia Dynasty: The Rise & Fall of the Gambino Crime Family" which is pretty good! Then I will finish The Five Families book. I have been reading in the pool and the 5 families book is nice and bigger so its harder to read while laying in the pool lol.

But thank you very much for your guidance on the books! I think I will probably get the 6th Family about the Rizzuto organization and I am sure it is exaggerated but it seems like every book I have read have made it seem like that particular family was the greatest during the time period.

I just got done reading a book on Joe Massino and he was the most powerful mobster in the world in the book lol and Casso & Sammy the Bull were also the most powerful guys during the time lol.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Dapper_Don] #655731
07/16/12 08:23 PM
07/16/12 08:23 PM
H
Homers77 Offline
Made Member
Homers77  Offline
H
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Dapper_Don
Sorry not a "mafia book".

BMF- Black Mafia Family - it was about the Flenory brothers. They ran a big drug ring and used a car service and rap music as their fronts. It was a very interesting book though.

i figured you were talking about bmf, i hear they are thinking of making a movie about the book, i got to check the book out

I am into rap music well I was very into it now I just listen to ESPN radio but anyway.. I thought the book was great. It was very interesting.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Homers77] #656231
07/20/12 04:31 PM
07/20/12 04:31 PM
New Hampshire
Nick_the_Greek Offline
Button
Nick_the_Greek  Offline
Button
New Hampshire
I just got done reading a book on Joe Massino and he was the most powerful mobster in the world in the book lol and Casso & Sammy the Bull were also the most powerful guys during the time lol.

What's with the lol? Two were the bosses, and one the underboss of their respective families...3 major NY families...

On topic, just wrapped up the Andrew DiDonato book; bit of an easy, slow read, but interesting insight into Nicky Corozzos crew. He got called out on a fib or two by gangland news, so grain of salt more than usual (also, he supposedly told Danny Cutaia and Bill Cutulo to fuck themselves as an associate...doubt it, even if he was Cutulo Jr's pal)

Ultimately a worthy read just to fill in a few more blanks.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Nick_the_Greek] #656235
07/20/12 04:39 PM
07/20/12 04:39 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: Nick_the_Greek

On topic, just wrapped up the Andrew DiDonato book; bit of an easy, slow read, but interesting insight into Nicky Corozzos crew. He got called out on a fib or two by gangland news, so grain of salt more than usual (also, he supposedly told Danny Cutaia and Bill Cutulo to fuck themselves as an associate...doubt it, even if he was Cutulo Jr's pal)

Ultimately a worthy read just to fill in a few more blanks.

Interesting. Does the book name Corozzo´s crew members? Could you list some of them here please?

[Linked Image]
Re: Mafia Books [Re: HairyKnuckles] #656237
07/20/12 04:59 PM
07/20/12 04:59 PM
New Hampshire
Nick_the_Greek Offline
Button
Nick_the_Greek  Offline
Button
New Hampshire
Andrew DiDonato, Mikey Yanotti, Sal Bracchi, and Al Lattanzi off the top of my head. Also, Lenny DiMaria was his co-captain it seems (probably since Corozzo was in FL often)

I'll thumb back through it and update the post for ya once I get the other names.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Nick_the_Greek] #656240
07/20/12 05:04 PM
07/20/12 05:04 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Andrew DiDonato, Mikey Yanotti, Sal Bracchi, and Al Lattanzi off the top of my head. Also, Lenny DiMaria was his co-captain it seems (probably since Corozzo was in FL often)

I'll thumb back through it and update the post for ya once I get the other names.

Thank you very much! That´s very kind of you. smile

[Linked Image]
Re: Mafia Books [Re: HairyKnuckles] #656711
07/24/12 06:49 AM
07/24/12 06:49 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yes i have read that DiDonato book. Not a bad read at all!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Mafia Books [Re: HairyKnuckles] #656897
07/24/12 08:02 PM
07/24/12 08:02 PM
New Hampshire
Nick_the_Greek Offline
Button
Nick_the_Greek  Offline
Button
New Hampshire
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles

Interesting. Does the book name Corozzo´s crew members? Could you list some of them here please?

Andrew DiDonato
Albert Lattanzi (Murdered in 1984)
Sal Bracchi
Vincent Dragonetti (Nickys son-in-law; his arrest is what tipped off Nickys daughter to call him so he had time to flee)
Tony Placido (murdered 1996)
Mike Yannotti (guy who shot Sliwa in cab; in prison)
Richie ? (mentioned multiple times; not found in glossary either)
Anthony Gerbino

Of course there were people he prob didn't mention to maybe protect or whatever, plus lower-level thugs and such.

On topic- I am interested in "Cullotta: The Life of a Chicago Criminal, Las Vegas Mobster, and Government Witness" ...how is it? Only $6.50 on Amazon, might grab either way.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Nick_the_Greek] #656985
07/25/12 03:28 AM
07/25/12 03:28 AM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)

Andrew DiDonato
Sal Bracchi
Vincent Dragonetti (Nickys son-in-law; his arrest is what tipped off Nickys daughter to call him so he had time to flee)
Anthony Gerbino

Of course there were people he prob didn't mention to maybe protect or whatever, plus lower-level thugs and such.

On topic- I am interested in "Cullotta: The Life of a Chicago Criminal, Las Vegas Mobster, and Government Witness" ...how is it? Only $6.50 on Amazon, might grab either way.

Thanks again, Nick!

[Linked Image]
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #657206
07/26/12 10:07 AM
07/26/12 10:07 AM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

so i pick up the sal polisi sintra club book at the book store its the worst it ends like this as i was driving buy a bunch of dirt poor mexicans i threw my last 80grand out the car window from my last coke deal wat a load of shit i no i cant spell, wow wat a crock of shit and didnato's book is just like keji gallo there side of the story, if you cant do time dont do crime. on a side note capeci wrote some guy is the acting capo for nick c some guy big in the unions, and the rat nicky skins was under nick as repoted by capeci, i guess they was jail celle's. dom cefulo must be the most feared guy in the city.

Last edited by pmac; 07/26/12 10:12 AM.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #658149
08/01/12 01:44 PM
08/01/12 01:44 PM
Amsterdam
C
Chopper2012 Offline
Capo
Chopper2012  Offline
C
Capo
Amsterdam
Reading 'Operation Family Secrets' right now, I'm about halfway through. I like the insight it gives in the Outfit and some of its more famous murders (the Spilotro murders etc).

But I hate the constant whining of Frank jr. Boohoohoo my daddy didn't love me, boohoo my daddy beat me up so much I started doing coke blablabla. Maybe, just maybe you shouldn't allow your dad to beat you up when you're a grown man. Maybe you should start hitting back at one point. He spends half the book convincing the reader he's just this great guy who happened to have a horrible father and only became a rat to help his dad. Bullshit. He sold coke, he worked in his father's crew for years, he made a lot of money in a lot of criminal ways, fine, but don't try to find some stupid excuse for it. You are what you are, you are responsible for your own actions.

Maybe the problem is that I read The Last Gangster by George Anastasia before this, one of the best books I've ever read on the Mob. What I like about it? It gives a great insight in the day to day affairs of a small mob family, and Previte doesn't make up excuses for anything. He is what he is, a crooked bastard, but at least he's not apologizing for it.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Nick_the_Greek] #658190
08/01/12 07:27 PM
08/01/12 07:27 PM
P
PP Offline
Made Member
PP  Offline
P
Made Member

Andrew DiDonato
Sal Bracchi
Anthony Gerbino

The Cullotta Book is the next one for me as well. That and Double Deal about Michael Corbitt

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Chopper2012] #658191
08/01/12 07:28 PM
08/01/12 07:28 PM
P
PP Offline
Made Member
PP  Offline
P
Made Member
Originally Posted By: Chopper2012
Reading 'Operation Family Secrets' right now, I'm about halfway through. I like the insight it gives in the Outfit and some of its more famous murders (the Spilotro murders etc).

But I hate the constant whining of Frank jr. Boohoohoo my daddy didn't love me, boohoo my daddy beat me up so much I started doing coke blablabla. Maybe, just maybe you shouldn't allow your dad to beat you up when you're a grown man. Maybe you should start hitting back at one point. He spends half the book convincing the reader he's just this great guy who happened to have a horrible father and only became a rat to help his dad. Bullshit. He sold coke, he worked in his father's crew for years, he made a lot of money in a lot of criminal ways, fine, but don't try to find some stupid excuse for it. You are what you are, you are responsible for your own actions.

Maybe the problem is that I read The Last Gangster by George Anastasia before this, one of the best books I've ever read on the Mob. What I like about it? It gives a great insight in the day to day affairs of a small mob family, and Previte doesn't make up excuses for anything. He is what he is, a crooked bastard, but at least he's not apologizing for it.

Family Secrets may be my new favorite Mafia book. Great insight. First new book about Chicago in a long time.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #658272
08/02/12 12:19 PM
08/02/12 12:19 PM
Amsterdam
C
Chopper2012 Offline
Capo
Chopper2012  Offline
C
Capo
Amsterdam
Great insight, agreed. But I'm disgusted by Frank jr. wiping his own sheet clean. 'I did it all to help my father' blabla. Sure, you reaaaally helped your father out by letting him die in Federal Lockup.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #658297
08/02/12 01:39 PM
08/02/12 01:39 PM
P
pmac Offline
pmac  Offline
P

no the worst part about frank jr. is a yr or so after his father and crew get life he still telling the feds were his dads money is then the feds raid his mothers house find fake wall and a million behind it so he took away from his own mother thats sick.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: pmac] #658298
08/02/12 01:43 PM
08/02/12 01:43 PM
The Jokers Social Club
BANNED
BANNED
Underboss
The Jokers Social Club
Originally Posted By: pmac
no the worst part about frank jr. is a yr or so after his father and crew get life he still telling the feds were his dads money is then the feds raid his mothers house find fake wall and a million behind it so he took away from his own mother thats sick.

Which Family Secrets book should I buy I saw someone mentioned there was a new one? If someone has read the new one and can PM me a link or put one in the thread I'd appreciate it. Thanks - DN

Genovese Family."
Re: Mafia Books [Re: DickNose_Moltasanti] #658655
08/04/12 10:03 AM
08/04/12 10:03 AM
D
Dwalin2011 Offline
Underboss
Dwalin2011  Offline
D
Underboss
I can recommend "Nothing Personal Just Business, Prohibition and Murder on Toledo's Mean Streets" by Kenneth Dickson about the Licavoli gang and the Jack Kennedy murder in Toledo. Quite an interesting book about some not-so-well-known facts. One of the rare cases in the 30s when an important gangster has been put away for murder.

By the way, could somebody recommend a book about Italian-Australian organized crime? In the books I read this subject was only briefly described.

Last edited by Dwalin2011; 08/04/12 10:14 AM.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."
Page 28 of 80 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 79 80

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull