GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 248 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,497
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,930
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,512
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,337
Posts1,058,852
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 22 of 73 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 72 73
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #643613
04/12/12 04:47 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Olivant, I understand what you're saying re: opinions. However, that's why we're discussing it on a bulletin board and we're not testifying in court. It's mostly conjecture at this point; however, there are two things that are evident:

1. Trayvon Martin was unarmed.
2. Zimmerman had a gun.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Lilo] #643614
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Lilo
And you are illustrating exactly the sorts of backwards attitudes that give many religious conservatives a justifiably bad name.

If religious people want to believe in God they are quite free to do so. When they, however attempt to make laws for everybody else based on nothing more than a belief in God, they're going to get questioned. The morons in Tennessee who are attempting to bring in intelligent design and creationism thru the back door by criticizing the chemical basis of life and evolution are an example of why biblical literalists don't mix well with science and logic, you know that post-Enlightenment stuff. Biblical literalists make claims about the world that are at best untestable and at worst demonstrably untrue. If they wish to step on the playing field of science with that junk, they're gonna get smoked. Again.

First, secular liberals are no different when it comes to their beliefs influencing law. They just don't do it under the banner of religion. Third, there's issues in the conservative cause (abortion, gay marriage, etc.) that can be supported without bringing religion into it. Third, while one shouldn't lump every religious person (including us Mormons) with the outspoken Evengelical types who misread the opening chapters of the Bible involving the creation, the secular science-is-our-god crowd seems to forget that science hasn't answered as many questions, or proved or disproved as many things as they like to think. They seem to forget the "theory" part in the "theory of evolution."

Originally Posted By: Lilo
Amazing that you see Trayvon as a "thug and no big loss to society" while the previously arrested Zimmerman is not so described. That's the essence of white skin privilege and is why so many people got so excited by this case in the first place. Probably the original officers felt the same way.

I've already said Zimmerman was overzealous in his community watch, crossed the line by confronting Trayvon, and should be charged with either manslaughter (if not 2nd degree murder). What else do you want?

Originally Posted By: klydon1
Ivy League, in a recent post you preached that a person (Mel Gibson) should not not be judged by his worst moments, which included multiple rants with profanity and racially charged language. Yet without equivocation you label Trayvon Martin a "thug," and characterize the loss of his life as inconsequential. You base this on an interpretation of facts that have not been established. Moreover, you make assumptions from allegations to speculate that he would be headed for prison. While you lectured that it was improper to rely on substantiated facts to judge Gibson's character, why do you rely on unproven allegations to assail Trayvon's character and even speculate on inferences drawn from mere allegations to conclude that he would end up in prison.

What makes Gibson different than Martin?

First, I take issue with the word "preach." Second, I said - or at least meant - a person shouldn't be judged solely on their worst moments. Third, I never said anything about "unsubstantiated facts" in regards to Gibson. I'm well aware of what he has said over the years. And while I don't excuse it, I don't make him out to be the monster others do. Fourth, I probably shouldn't have made the declaration that Trayvon's death is "no big loss to society." However, at this point, I'm pretty convinced that he physically attacked Zimmerman. Which makes him a thug, despite the fact that Zimmerman shouldn't have confronted him in the first place. It seems very unlikely that Zimmerman just got out of his car thinking, "I'm gonna kill this kid."

Last edited by IvyLeague; 04/12/12 04:48 PM.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: IvyLeague] #643619
04/12/12 04:54 PM
04/12/12 04:54 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
It seems very unlikely that Zimmerman just got out of his car thinking, "I'm gonna kill this kid."

And that's the difference. I'm not so sure.

There are lots of cop/hero wannabe's like Zimmerman out there with chips on their shoulders and itchy trigger fingers. They are just waiting for a chance to "save the world". I think he was a ticking time bomb, and Trayvon happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. If it wasn't Trayvon, then six months or a year from now, it would have been someone else.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Sicilian Babe] #643622
04/12/12 05:03 PM
04/12/12 05:03 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
It seems very unlikely that Zimmerman just got out of his car thinking, "I'm gonna kill this kid."

And that's the difference. I'm not so sure.

There are lots of cop/hero wannabe's like Zimmerman out there with chips on their shoulders and itchy trigger fingers. They are just waiting for a chance to "save the world". I think he was a ticking time bomb, and Trayvon happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. If it wasn't Trayvon, then six months or a year from now, it would have been someone else.

Zimmerman definitely strikes me as a wannabe cop/hero. I have no problem believing that he approached Trayvon thinking his "authority" was going to win the day. But when it turned physical, the wannabe hero panicked and went for his gun. His mouth had tried to cash a check his ass couldn't cash, as they say.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #643641
04/12/12 06:23 PM
04/12/12 06:23 PM
Chicago Underworld
Frank_Nitti Offline
"The Enforcer"
Frank_Nitti  Offline
"The Enforcer"
Underboss
Chicago Underworld
Ivy, I've pretty sure you wouldn't even remotely defend the half-hispanic Zimmerman if he had followed home and killed a young white Mormon kid. Your bias, which is based on stereotypes that are not wholly true or false, dismisses much if not all of your impartiality in this case.

Most everything in the 911 tapes leads to Zimmerman being the mentally-unsound aggressor. At the least we know Trayvon was not out "thuging," and seems ran into a ticking time bomb in Zimmerman.

If it had been a white Mormon teenager who had run into that ticking timebomb, you'd have no qualms about the kid defending himself from it. You certainly wouldn't spend 2 pages defending Zimmerman.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Frank_Nitti] #643643
04/12/12 06:24 PM
04/12/12 06:24 PM
Tampa and Queens
S
Skinny_Vinny Offline
Capo
Skinny_Vinny  Offline
S
Capo
Tampa and Queens
Originally Posted By: Frank_Nitti
Ivy, I've pretty sure you wouldn't even remotely defend the half-hispanic Zimmerman if he had followed home and killed a young white Mormon kid. Your bias, which is based on stereotypes that are not wholly true or false, dismisses much if not all of your impartiality in this case.

Most everything in the 911 tapes leads to Zimmerman being the mentally-unsound aggressor. At the least we know Trayvon was not out "thugging," and seems ran into a ticking time bomb in Zimmerman

If it had been a white Mormon teenager who had run into that ticking timebomb, you'd have no qualms about with the kid defending himself from it. You certainly wouldn't spend 2 pages defending Zimmerman.

Why do you think Zimmerman has so many supporters?

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #643644
04/12/12 06:26 PM
04/12/12 06:26 PM
Chicago Underworld
Frank_Nitti Offline
"The Enforcer"
Frank_Nitti  Offline
"The Enforcer"
Underboss
Chicago Underworld
What Zimmeraman supporters are you referring to? Other gun-toting drug-store cowboys who didn't graduate college either? confused

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Frank_Nitti] #643645
04/12/12 06:29 PM
04/12/12 06:29 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

What Zimmeraman supporters are you referring to? Other gun-toting drug-store cowboys who didn't graduate college either? confused

We've got some over on the RD. You guys think I'm bad because I'm not totally on the Trayvon side. lol whistle

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #643649
04/12/12 06:38 PM
04/12/12 06:38 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
The ballistics and forensics reports will illustrate just how proximate the gun barrel was to the victim. That will tell us alot about any physical encounter between the two. Don't forget that state statutes state and define the predicates that accrue to a crime. They also state and define what is premeditation and what is intent. If this matter reaches a jury for its deliberation, the charge to the jury will include these statements and definitons. The jury's decision may very well turn on such information despite any emotion-based inclination they may have.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: IvyLeague] #643653
04/12/12 06:48 PM
04/12/12 06:48 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Stop bringing up what is going on at the RD board. For one, I don't give a damn. We have our own standards here on the GBB and expect all members to respect them.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Frank_Nitti] #643654
04/12/12 06:51 PM
04/12/12 06:51 PM
Tampa and Queens
S
Skinny_Vinny Offline
Capo
Skinny_Vinny  Offline
S
Capo
Tampa and Queens

He has his supporters, especially here in Central Florida.

And they have their reasons for feeling bad for him.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Sicilian Babe] #643656
04/12/12 06:58 PM
04/12/12 06:58 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Olivant, I understand what you're saying re: opinions. However, that's why we're discussing it on a bulletin board and we're not testifying in court. It's mostly conjecture at this point; however, there are two things that are evident:

2. Zimmerman had a gun.

I agree. I know in court or the jury process it is a totally different thing but on a BB like this, I don't see any reason why we can't speculate. smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #643660
04/12/12 07:12 PM
04/12/12 07:12 PM
Chicago Underworld
Frank_Nitti Offline
"The Enforcer"
Frank_Nitti  Offline
"The Enforcer"
Underboss
Chicago Underworld
In that case I'd like to present as evidence Adam Corolla's "Everything bizarre happens in Germany or Florida." wink

It just never becomes irrelevant.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #643664
04/12/12 07:55 PM
04/12/12 07:55 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette

2. Zimmerman had a gun.

I agree. I know in court or the jury process it is a totally different thing but on a BB like this, I don't see any reason why we can't speculate. smile

TIS

True, but some of the posts on this subject have been on the verge (if not actually)of vituperation and racist. Passion is one thing, but I recommend that Board members attempt to be cogent, at least and that their speculations have a basis (even if tenous) in fact.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #643665
04/12/12 08:01 PM
04/12/12 08:01 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
Oli,

I agree with you there.

smile

TIS

Last edited by The Italian Stallionette; 04/12/12 08:01 PM.

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #643666
04/12/12 08:04 PM
04/12/12 08:04 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Originally Posted By: olivant
True, but some of the posts on this subject have been on the verge (if not actually)of vituperation and racist. Passion is one thing, but I recommend that Board members attempt to be cogent, at least and that their speculations have a basis (even if tenous) in fact.

Do you really talk like this in real life? confused

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: SC] #643669
04/12/12 08:57 PM
04/12/12 08:57 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: SC

Do you really talk like this in real life? confused

Sometimes. But I usually reserve my best for the Board.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #643676
04/12/12 10:23 PM
04/12/12 10:23 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

The Florida thing above is certainly true. I swear, every time I hear about something crazy happening, 8 times out of 10, it's in Florida.

"Florida - America's Weirdest State"
http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/24/florida-americas-weirdest-state/

Last edited by IvyLeague; 04/12/12 10:43 PM.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #643682
04/12/12 11:21 PM
04/12/12 11:21 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Watching the nightly news from Miami always elicits the same exact reaction - a slow shake of the head and the following words, "Only in f***ing Florida."

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Sicilian Babe] #643735
04/13/12 03:27 PM
04/13/12 03:27 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
It's so true. Guys like Carl Hiaasen and Dave Barry have made absolute fortunes writing about the craziness in Florida. And they've both stated many times that the stories write themselves.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: pizzaboy] #643737
04/13/12 03:34 PM
04/13/12 03:34 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
It's so true. Guys like Carl Hiaasen and Dave Barry have made absolute fortunes writing about the craziness in Florida. And they've both stated many times that the stories write themselves.

What do you expect? They all moved from Throggs Neck!

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #643739
04/13/12 03:48 PM
04/13/12 03:48 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

It's undeniable that a good portion of the Florida crazies were originally Northeasterners.

Ironically, Oli, I have neighbors in my condo complex in Delray Beach who are from Millvale, PA, which I'm told is just outside Pittsburgh.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Crime & Justice [Re: pizzaboy] #643740
04/13/12 03:56 PM
04/13/12 03:56 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas

It's undeniable that a good portion of the Florida crazies were originally Northeasterners.

Ironically, Oli, I have neighbors in my condo complex in Delray Beach who are from Millvale, PA, which I'm told is just outside Pittsburgh.

Are they Steelers fans?

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #643741
04/13/12 03:57 PM
04/13/12 03:57 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Are they Steelers fans?

Of course lol.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: pizzaboy] #644100
04/16/12 03:49 PM
04/16/12 03:49 PM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: Scorsese] #644101
04/16/12 03:51 PM
04/16/12 03:51 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Those three should be buried alive mad.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #644106
04/16/12 04:18 PM
04/16/12 04:18 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
Jeff Neely who is the GSA administrator who was responsible for the recent trip by GSA workers that racked up over $800,000 in expenses was before Congress today. In response to several questions by Representative Daniel Issa, Neely asserted his fifth amendment refusal to answer.

One of the questions he refused to answer was "What is your title at GSA?"

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #644107
04/16/12 04:23 PM
04/16/12 04:23 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
One of the questions he refused to answer was "What is your title at GSA?"

Well, you can't pick and choose. If you answer one, you pretty much have to answer them all.

It's not uncommon for gangsters to refuse to even answer what their name is when they're called before a grand jury. In short, if you're gonna clam up, you're better off not saying anything at all than trying to play footsie with a prosecutor. Because prosecutors are generally more intelligent than criminals.

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: pizzaboy] #644108
04/16/12 04:28 PM
04/16/12 04:28 PM
S
Scorsese Offline
Underboss
Scorsese  Offline
S
Underboss

Re: Crime & Justice [Re: olivant] #644114
04/16/12 05:34 PM
04/16/12 05:34 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

It's cases like the ones above that makes me stare in disbelief that anyone would have a problem with the death penalty. Some people deserve nothing but a one-way trip back to their Maker.

Page 22 of 73 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 72 73

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull