GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (m2w), 277 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
Happy birthday Tommasino Neri.
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,438
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,840
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,508
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,307
Posts1,058,334
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 80 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 79 80
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #635079
02/15/12 06:45 PM
02/15/12 06:45 PM
ukwiseguy Offline
Made Member
ukwiseguy  Offline
Made Member
Reading Wiseguy at the moment which is one of the best books ive read, Henry is some story teller.

I keep reading the whole thing in my head in Ray Liottas voice lol.

Underworld UK

"The Greatest Trick The Devil Ever Pulled, Was Convincing The World He Didn't Exist"
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #635255
02/16/12 05:59 PM
02/16/12 05:59 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Yeah that's a good book, read it a couple of times now, there's alot in there which is not in the Goodfellas..

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #635273
02/16/12 07:23 PM
02/16/12 07:23 PM
Toronto
M
Mick2010 Offline
Button
Mick2010  Offline
M
Button
Toronto
anybody read El Narco? Im wondering which is the best book about the Mexican drug cartel wars. Not sure which one to get yet.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: ukwiseguy] #638687
03/07/12 07:42 AM
03/07/12 07:42 AM
The_Premier Offline
Toe cutter
The_Premier  Offline
Toe cutter
Button
Originally Posted By: ukwiseguy
Reading Wiseguy at the moment which is one of the best books ive read, Henry is some story teller.

I keep reading the whole thing in my head in Ray Liottas voice lol.

Just finished it after years of never getting around to grabbing a copy. A great read. What really struck me was the amount of scamming that was on the go at one time - a finger was in every pie going around.

I had his voice in my head too.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #640028
03/15/12 02:42 AM
03/15/12 02:42 AM
South East Michigan
MrMorbid Offline
Wiseguy
MrMorbid  Offline
Wiseguy
South East Michigan
Have any of you guys read "Gangs of St. Louis: Men of Respect" or "Egan's Rats: The Untold Story of the Prohibition-Era Gang That Ruled St. Louis" both are written by Daniel Waugh. Those two books have gotten really good reviews by readers on Amazon, and the Good Reads website. I'd love to hear your thoughts on them.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #640196
03/15/12 11:10 PM
03/15/12 11:10 PM
South East Michigan
MrMorbid Offline
Wiseguy
MrMorbid  Offline
Wiseguy
South East Michigan
I'm currently reading "The Man Who Got Away: The Bugs Moran Story: A Biography" by Rose Keefe. Its a highly detailed biography on little known Northside Chicago gangster George "Bugs" Moran. Keefe also wrote a biography on Dean O'Banion who was Moran's ally/partner on the Northside. Another book Keefe wrote was a biography on NY Jewish gangster Jack Zelig.

I've only read the O'Banion book along with the Moran book I'm currently reading. Both books are highly informative, and shed some light on two personalities, which have pretty much been neglected by historians/researchers.

Another book I'm contemplating rereading (based on what others have said on here) is "Five Families" I knocked this book off during a weekend hiatus when I moved into the townhouse I currently live in and didn't have cable/internet installed yet, I was bored outta my mind, and had nothing better to do. I enjoyed it so much I might read it again.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #640497
03/17/12 03:09 PM
03/17/12 03:09 PM
Mooney Offline
Capo
Mooney  Offline
Capo
I would love to read that new book "The Hit Man" By Ralph Cipriano (Jonh Veasey story) but It's only available for Kindle??? What The F? Give me a freaking Hardcover please!

"Thank God for the American Jury System" - Nicky Scarfo
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Mattix] #641172
03/22/12 06:02 PM
03/22/12 06:02 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Originally Posted By: Mattix
Too much fiction and inaccuracy in the first half to suit me. The Balsamo-Carpozi book has also been published under the titles Under the Clock and Crime Incorporated . The early chapters were originally a book in themselves, a paperback title issued by Dell in the early 1970s titled Always Kill a Brother and dealing with the supposedly continuous gang war between the Irish "White Hand" and Frankie Yale's Mafia group.

Balsamo, whose grandfather was a Brooklyn Mafioso, has done some fine research (especially on Al Capone's early Brooklyn years) but a lot of the early stuff here is just plain wrong and Carpozi's injection of fictional dialogue kills the book historically. The later chapters are just standard NYC Mob history you can find in any Mafia book.

Originally Posted By: DE NIRO
Just Brought.

£1.98 inc postage on Ebay

I didn´t know you had posted in here. Discovered this when I went through this thread. In your posts, not only in this thread, your knowledge in this field shines through...as always.

Mattix,

R.I.P.

[Linked Image]
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #641960
03/28/12 12:09 PM
03/28/12 12:09 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Who died???

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

Re: Mafia Books [Re: DE NIRO] #641967
03/28/12 12:50 PM
03/28/12 12:50 PM
Secret location (WITSEC)
HairyKnuckles Offline
Underboss
HairyKnuckles  Offline
Underboss
Secret location (WITSEC)
Rick Mattix passed away in Oct 2010.
He was an extremely knowledgeable and skilled author and researcher in this field we all find enthralling.

http://oskynews.org/?p=4945

[Linked Image]
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #641997
03/28/12 04:58 PM
03/28/12 04:58 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I didn't know that.. RIP..

Re: Mafia Books [Re: DE NIRO] #642373
04/01/12 08:56 PM
04/01/12 08:56 PM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Just picked up Capeci and Mustain's Rise and Fall of Gotti for like 30 cents. Great copy too. Cheering. Read it before, but for some reason didn't have it in the collection. Also finally picked up First Family for $5, only read the intro and the first few pages so far, but Im glad I picked it up; a few guys on here mentioned how meticulously researched it is and so far, wow.

Also picked up Senor Nice by Howard Marks. Wasn't too interested in the guy (Id known about him for many years and wondered why his autobiography seems to have only come out so recently) but he was a huge pot dealer back in the day and claims to have maintained contacts with certain mob elements amongst a myriad of other illicit and clandestine organizations. It was only a buck, so I figured why not. I had the loose change.

Originally Posted By: Mick2010
anybody read El Narco? Im wondering which is the best book about the Mexican drug cartel wars. Not sure which one to get yet.

I haven't read it yet but it does look pretty good. Ive skimmed it a few times at the bookshop but haven't bought it. If I get it before you do, Ill let you know my thoughts (if you do the same for me if you get it first smile )

Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Originally Posted By: Mattix
Too much fiction and inaccuracy in the first half to suit me. The Balsamo-Carpozi book has also been published under the titles Under the Clock and Crime Incorporated . The early chapters were originally a book in themselves, a paperback title issued by Dell in the early 1970s titled Always Kill a Brother and dealing with the supposedly continuous gang war between the Irish "White Hand" and Frankie Yale's Mafia group.

Balsamo, whose grandfather was a Brooklyn Mafioso, has done some fine research (especially on Al Capone's early Brooklyn years) but a lot of the early stuff here is just plain wrong and Carpozi's injection of fictional dialogue kills the book historically. The later chapters are just standard NYC Mob history you can find in any Mafia book.

Just Brought.

£1.98 inc postage on Ebay

I didn´t know you had posted in here. Discovered this when I went through this thread. In your posts, not only in this thread, your knowledge in this field shines through...as always.

Mattix,

R.I.P.

Wow. That is possibly the best review Ive ever seen for that book. I got it in a bargain big years ago, and it was one of the first books I got on the mob when my interest was only fledgling. IMO its one of those books which, for dabblers/amatuer mob watchers, is great, offering a a great basis of knowledge on which to build. Of course, once you start digging deeper and discovering better sources, you learn how rudimentary and innaccurate a lot of the information is, and rectify your knowledge accordingly.

I had wondered if the mobster Balsamo in the book was any relation to the author, and also why the first half of the book was written in such a markedly different style to the rest,more like a novel. I must admit, I found also found it somewhat grating when whole conversations and motivations were recorded in an almost cartoonishly mobster vein, but the second half redeemed it for me as any early reader of mob lit.

RIP Mattix.

Yeah that's a good book, read it a couple of times now, there's alot in there which is not in the Goodfellas..

Agreed. One of the best. Easily.

(cough.)
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #642410
04/02/12 10:22 AM
04/02/12 10:22 AM
London
English Offline
English
English  Offline
English
Wiseguy
London
Not long finished 'Murder Machine', fantastic book which I ordered having seen a recommendation on these pages. Now reading 'An idiot's guide to the Mafia', again further to a post on here, A little out of the norm in the way it's written, a more informative guide rather than story / biography. As soon as thats finish i'll finally be starting 'five families'.

When they send for you, you go in alive, you come out dead, and it's your best friend that does it.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #642417
04/02/12 12:16 PM
04/02/12 12:16 PM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

You won't be disappointed..

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #642512
04/02/12 10:27 PM
04/02/12 10:27 PM
Toronto
M
Mick2010 Offline
Button
Mick2010  Offline
M
Button
Toronto

Originally Posted By: Mick2010

Quote:
I haven't read it yet but it does look pretty good. Ive skimmed it a few times at the bookshop but haven't bought it. If I get it before you do, Ill let you know my thoughts (if you do the same for me if you get it first smile )

I just got it in the mail on Thursday actually. Im gonna read it next, so I'll definitely post my thoughts on it. Just have to finish up Cosa Nostra first(about 200 pages into it now), which could take a week or two, depending on my work schedule. I have read that its the best one on the subject, so I have high expectations for it.

Last edited by Mick2010; 04/02/12 10:27 PM.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #642656
04/04/12 04:41 AM
04/04/12 04:41 AM
South East Michigan
MrMorbid Offline
Wiseguy
MrMorbid  Offline
Wiseguy
South East Michigan
Hey guys, hope all is well. I recently ordered "The Black Hand: A Chapter In Ethnic Crime" by Francesco Cordasco & Thomas Pitkin. I also bought the David Critchley book from Abe Books. Seriously looking forward to getting them in the mail. Another book I REALLY want to read is The First Family.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: MrMorbid] #642658
04/04/12 04:58 AM
04/04/12 04:58 AM
South East Michigan
MrMorbid Offline
Wiseguy
MrMorbid  Offline
Wiseguy
South East Michigan
Scratch that. I just placed an order on Amazon for The First Family.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #643016
04/08/12 08:01 AM
04/08/12 08:01 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Thats a good book Morbid..

Re: Mafia Books [Re: DE NIRO] #643121
04/09/12 03:51 AM
04/09/12 03:51 AM
South East Michigan
MrMorbid Offline
Wiseguy
MrMorbid  Offline
Wiseguy
South East Michigan
Thats a good book Morbid..

I'm on the 5th chapter at the moment. I've seriously enjoyed it so far, its bound to get much better.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: HairyKnuckles] #643125
04/09/12 08:17 AM
04/09/12 08:17 AM
South East Michigan
MrMorbid Offline
Wiseguy
MrMorbid  Offline
Wiseguy
South East Michigan
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Rick Mattix passed away in Oct 2010.
He was an extremely knowledgeable and skilled author and researcher in this field we all find enthralling.

http://oskynews.org/?p=4945

I didn't know Rick on a personal level, although I have corresponded with him via email a few times in the past while he was alive. I remember hearing of his passing, from one of the researcher based mafia related Yahoo Groups I'm a member of. He will be missed. Speaking of his work, I've got a copy of "The Complete Public Enemy Almanac" that he wrote with William Helmer, it was published around 2007 and is a highly informative must have piece of literature.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #644256
04/17/12 03:06 PM
04/17/12 03:06 PM
Newcastle Upon Tyne
short841 Offline
Underboss
short841  Offline
Underboss
Newcastle Upon Tyne
What's Mafia prince by phill leonetti like?

"You shouldn’t be embarrassed by your wealth. This contempt for money is another trick by the rich to keep the poor without it" - Michael Corleone

"You don't have to count the dead to understand the business of the Camorra" Gomorrah, Roberto Saviano
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #644265
04/17/12 03:38 PM
04/17/12 03:38 PM
Nova24 Offline
Made Member
Nova24  Offline
Made Member
I don't think it's available yet. I think it comes out in October or so.

Here's an excerpt I found on Amazon...

Quote:
CHAPTER TK: Bullets and Badges
Crazy Phil Makes His Bones

Upon Little Nicky Scarfo’s release from Yardville, Philip’s life forever changed.
He was now a player. At barely 21 years old Philip Leonetti was considered a fast riser, both on the street and within law enforcement. Firmly ensconced in his uncle’s inner circle and unquestionably trusted by the Philadelphia mob brass for his dutiful performance as a go-between for Scarfo and Godfather Angelo Bruno when they were behind bars, Philip gained almost immediate respect.
It wasn’t like he didn’t earn it.
From very early in his life as a wiseguy, Philip proved he could kill on command, or “put in work” as they say on the street. Combined with his sharp mind for business and his family connections, his status as a future superstar in the mafia was undeniable.
Sticking to Scarfo like glue from the second he returned from prison, he was schooled on the ways of the mob and the often distorted and treacherous landscape that surrounds it by a master underworld politician and bonafide sociopath in his uncle.
Murder would be their bond, power their ultimate goal.
Philip was the perfect student and Scarfo relished the role of mentor and father-figure. Little Nicky saw himself in his nephew and viewed Philip as a way to cement his legacy in the mafia for years long after he passed.
Scarfo was the present and Philip the future. They were the perfect match.
Little Nicky was fed up.
Vince Falcone had become a thorn in his side.
He had a big mouth and was blatantly subversive.
Although Scarfo had once liked Falcone early in their relationship, he had grown to loath him. When word got back to Philip and his uncle that Falcone was talking badly about them around town, openly undermining their authority, it was the final straw.
During a trip to Italy in the fall months of 1979, Scarfo issued a contract on his head.
Always one to like to get his hands dirty, Little Nicky didn’t just want Vince Falcone killed, he wanted to be there when it took place. That’s the kind of bloodthirsty lunatic he was. While most mob leaders seek to do everything in their power to insulate themselves as much as possible from the murders they order, Scarfo wanted to bask in them, personally savior the experience in any way he could.
The Falcone contract also provided him the opportunity to commit a murder alongside his nephew, to literally bind Philip and himself in blood. To his uncle, the entire world revolved around the mob, murder and family, specifically in that order. Killing Vince Falcone in the manner he foresaw, gave him the chance to combine all three of these at the same time in one giant orgy of death, lineage and La Cosa Nostra.
The trap was set.
Little Nicky and Phillip had the whole thing planned out.
Falcone was weary, knowing that Scarfo was upset with him, but far from convinced that he was marked for execution. In the weeks following Thanksgiving, Scarfo and Philip lulled him into a sense of comfort.
He never saw it coming.
Phillip told Falcone that his uncle wished to host a little pre-Christmas get-together for him, Yogi Merlino and Joe Salerno, a local plumbing contractor that had recently started to hang around Scarfo’s Atlantic City crew.
Not picking up the play, he fell for it hook, line and sinker.
On the early evening of December 16, 1979, Philip picked Falcone, Merlino and Salerno up from their respective houses and drove them to a Margate condo where Scarfo was there waiting for them. Sitting on the couch, pretending to peruse a newspaper and watch a football game on television, Little Nicky welcomed his men with a smile. The mood was jovial and festive as Philip, Falcone, Merlino and Salerno entered through a back door leading into the kitchen. The men laughed and kidded each other as they took off their coats and began to get comfortable.
Philip casually mentioned that they should have a toast for the upcoming holiday and instructed Falcone to go to the cabinet and collect some glasses. As soon as he turned his back to head for the kitchen cabinet, Philip pulled a pistol from his waist band and pumped two shots into his skull.
Bang, bang.
Falcone fell to the floor.
Yogi Merlino was standing so close to Philip when he fired the shots, the still-sparking shell-casings from the two bullets flew into his face and set his eyebrows on fire.
Salerno, much more regular guy than wiseguy, was startled.
“Nick, I didn’t do nothing wrong,” he blurted out. “I swear I didn’t anything wrong.”
Scarfo jumped up from his seat in the living room with glee and made his way into the kitchen where Falcone’s body lay.
“It’s okay, it’s okay.” said Philip trying to calm his nerves. “Take it easy, Joe. Vince was a no good motherfucker. He deserved to die.”
“We ain’t got no beef with you, Joe, you’re going to be alright,” Scarfo told him with a half a grin across his face. “You didn’t do nothing wrong.”
Standing over the body, Little Nicky bent down to listen for any remaining signs of life.
“I think he’s still alive, give’ em another one,” he said.
With no hesitation, Philip instantly unloaded another shot into Falcone’s chest.
His uncle was in heaven. He could barely contain himself.
“The big shot’s dead, the big shot’s finally dead,” Scarfo declared with a half-slur, the alcohol he had been consuming in wait for his soldiers of doom, starting to take effect.
Phillip felt a similar ecstatic charge from the homicide. He reveled in the treachery.
“I wish I could bring’ em back and kill’ em again,” he declared.
Uncle and nephew were becoming one.

CHAPTER TK
Boardwalk Empire

Atlantic City was founded in 1854. Its name was a testament to its location which was buttressed by the picturesque seascape of the Atlantic Ocean’s waterfront. The new unchartered territory quickly became a real estate developer’s dream, ripe with commercial opportunity and promise.
From the moment that Atlantic City was incorporated, it was designed to appeal to tourists from all over the world. AC, as it simply became to be known over the years, was marketed as a premiere resort locale and vacation destination with sandy beaches, fine dining, world class entertainment and some of the nation’s most luxurious and lavish hotels.
The city’s crown jewel, the Boardwalk, would be constructed in 1870 and was a seven-mile stretch of oceanfront property that featured a diverse array of opulence and commerce.
In 1878, the Philadelphia–Atlantic City railroad was constructed as a means of bringing tourists straight from Pennsylvania to the seaside resort and within five years, Atlantic City was one of the top tourist attractions in the world.
At the turn of the Twentieth Century the area experienced a massive real estate boom, finding itself on the cutting edge of both hotel architecture and high-society culture. Extravagant hotels and posh restaurants and nightclubs dotted every inch of the Boardwalk and its surrounding area and the city became a playground for the country’s rich and famous.
During Prohibition, Enoch “Nucky” Johnson, the colorful treasurer of Atlantic County, simultaneously became the unofficial Mayor of Atlantic City and faux Godfather of New Jersey, ushering in an era of more corruption and decadence than the notoriously crooked coastal enclave had ever seen. Controlling the state’s Republican political machine with an iron fist, Johnson oversaw a wide range of illegal rackets while authorizing, encouraging and often taking a piece of nationwide underworld business being conducted within his wide-reaching domain.
The city by the Atlantic was now the ‘World’s Playground’, with booze and broads by the boatload. It was the nation’s first true the mecca of vice, in essence, the original Sin City long before modern Las Vegas was even contemplated.
Johnson’s rein atop Atlantic City crumbled in 1941 when he was convicted on charges of tax evasion for hiding proceeds from several policy lottery operations he was running throughout the city. His time in power and notorious reputation have recently come back into the public eye with the hit television show, ‘Boardwalk Empire,’ chronicling gangland activity in Atlantic City in the 1920s from the perspective of a local corrupt county Treasurer named Enoch “Nucky” Thompson, a character played by actor Steve Buscemi and based on Johnson’s political regime
As World War II came to an end, so did Atlantic City’s tenure as ‘The World’s Playground’. By the 1950s, Atlantic City lost its luster. Year-round tropical destinations like Florida, Cuba, and the Bahamas became cheaper and more popular alternatives for vacations with everyday Americans. The rich and famous picked up and headed west for Las Vegas, the up and coming desert oasis that had by now eclipsed Atlantic City as the new lush getaway to the stars.
With the Boardwalk decaying and poverty engulfing the city’s economy, most of the grand hotels of yeseteryear, like the Breakers, the Shelbourne, The Traymore, The Mayflower, and the Marlborough, were all demolished. Drugs and crime replaced fun in the sun as the region’s most prominent features. Press coverage of the city’s plight stemming from the conditions encountered by the national media when they descended on Atlantic City for the 1964 Democratic Convention sent tourists scurrying.
As the late 1960s became the early 1970s, the once bustling resort town had gone bust.
It was practically a ghost town.
It wouldn’t be for long.
And the follow-up Boardwalk Empire that Little Nicky and his nephew would soon build to meteoric heights, would make Nucky Johnson wet his tweed trousers ...

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #644269
04/17/12 03:48 PM
04/17/12 03:48 PM
Newcastle Upon Tyne
short841 Offline
Underboss
short841  Offline
Underboss
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Seems quite a good read! Just wanting to read new book, read the Havana mob? I'm looking forward to the quiet don which is about russell buffalino

"You shouldn’t be embarrassed by your wealth. This contempt for money is another trick by the rich to keep the poor without it" - Michael Corleone

"You don't have to count the dead to understand the business of the Camorra" Gomorrah, Roberto Saviano
Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #644408
04/18/12 02:23 PM
04/18/12 02:23 PM
L
Lenin_and_McCarthy Offline
Capo
Lenin_and_McCarthy  Offline
L
Capo
Does anyone remember where exactly the account of Vitale being warned that Massino wasted to kill him is in King Of The Godfathers?

I've got a paperback printing with no index, and Google Books isn't any help either.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #645189
04/27/12 08:42 AM
04/27/12 08:42 AM
J
Joe_Bonanno Offline
Made Member
Joe_Bonanno  Offline
J
Made Member
Please tell me some good Mafia books that can be found on the net for free, I mean biographical or something like that.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #645399
04/29/12 03:12 AM
04/29/12 03:12 AM
M
MurderMachine Offline
Associate
MurderMachine  Offline
M
Associate
I have read well over 300 books on true crime. I will post some books on the mafia that aren't well known that are interesting reads for the viewing audience.

Double Deal: The Inside Story of Murder, Unbridled Corruption, and the Cop Who Was a Mobster.. by Sam Giancana and Michael Corbitt

This is a fast-paced inside look at the workings of the Chicago-based organized crime syndicate and its national and international dealings, by a highly decorated former Illinois police officer who spent his entire law enforcement career working for the Mob. Co-author Giancana covered much of the same territory in Double Cross, his bestselling look at the U.S. Mafia, but here his obvious model is Nicholas Pileggi's Wiseguy, the classic insider look at the New York crime world through the words of ex-mobster Henry Hill. Surprisingly, Corbitt's story compares favorably to that earlier classic true crime tale as he narrates his rise from the ranks of an average Chicago gang to being a player with the likes of Sam "Momo" Giancana (his co-author's uncle) and Tony Accardo-perhaps the two most important figures in the history of post-WWII Chicago crime. Giancana captures Corbitt's eye for the sleazy details of Mob life, such as the time he sees "half a million in loose diamonds" wrapped in a brown paper bag on the front seat of Momo's car, "looking like a ham sandwich." But the heart of the book is Corbitt's description of the mysterious figure of Hy Larner, who, along with Meyer Lansky, controlled organized crime in the U.S. in the 1970s and 1980s. Corbitt's first-hand accounts of Larner's dealings with shady figures like Lansky, the Shah of Iran and Manuel Noriega, as well as with agents of the Israeli government, the Mossad and the CIA, provide some new evidence of the extent of organized crime's involvement with the government. -- Publishers Weekly review

Accardo: The Genuine Godfather by William Roemer

Retired FBI agent Roemer (The Enforcer, LJ 6/15/94) profiles Chicago mobster Anthony Accardo (1906-92), a.k.a. Joe Batters, a.k.a. The Big Tuna. Starting out in the Capone gang, Accardo quickly rose to the top of the organization, wielding absolute control and inspiring fear in others. Despite damaging evidence against him, Accardo in his 70 years as a gangster never spent a day in jail. Using a wealth of inside information gathered from eavesdropping on mob meeting places, Roemer presents an excellent story of a ruthless mob leader blended in with the history of the period. Often Roemer goes overboard in congratulating agents involved, and he uses Accardo's aliases interchangeably, which can confuse readers. Nevertheless, he has written an interesting book on the history of gangsters and provides another chapter of Chicago's social history. Recommended for true-crime collections. -- Library Journal review

Murder, Inc.: The Story Of The Syndicate by Burton Turkus

MURDER INC. is an excellent informative source on the subject of organized crime in the United States and murder in New York City in particular. The book is written by the authors in plain english and legalese is avoided. The book reads like a whos who in the world of the Syndicate. The reader must be cautioned that this book contains intricate details of actual murders and may not be suitable to all, particularly individuals offended by material of this nature.

The author makes his arguments well and is persuasive enough to have the reader wondering if murders which appear in the daily papers as unsolvable, could possibly be related to the world of organized crime. In addition it makes one wonder about many political decisions being made by our elected officials today and if these officials have in some manner been influenced by crminal organizations such as the Syndicate.

The First Family: Terror, Extortion, Revenge, Murder and The Birth of the American Mafia by Mike Dash

While most Americans can name two or three famous Mafiosi, few have ever heard of Giuseppe Morella. Dash's vivid, fascinating account of his life and times may change that. Dash combed through century-old newspaper articles, police files, and court transcripts, and his extensive research shows on every page and sets the record straight on pre-Prohibition mob operations. The narrative brims with anecdotes and little-known facts, and Dash's animated, eloquent prose results in a convincing and powerful story. However, Dash doesn't soften the edges of this gritty, violent era: a few critics complained that the book was, at times, too gory. The First Family is nevertheless a valuable contribution to our understanding of this uniquely American institution. -- Bookmarks Magazine review

Hopefully this helps and enjoy.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #645402
04/29/12 07:10 AM
04/29/12 07:10 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Accardo: The Genuine Godfather by William Roemer is a excellent book, i was partially fascinated by Murray Humphreys who was credited for inventing the term money laundering..

Last edited by DE NIRO; 04/29/12 07:10 AM.

Re: Mafia Books [Re: Turi Giuliano] #645981
05/03/12 02:46 PM
05/03/12 02:46 PM
MA
emilysweeney Offline
Associate
emilysweeney  Offline
Associate
MA
Hey, I'm new to the board. Great stuff on here.

If anyone here is interested in Boston Organized Crime, you should check out my new book...

www.BostonOrganizedCrime.com

It features 200+ photos from the 1920s up to the present day.

Cheers,
Emily Sweeney

Re: Mafia Books [Re: DE NIRO] #645984
05/03/12 03:12 PM
05/03/12 03:12 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Accardo: The Genuine Godfather by William Roemer is a excellent book, i was partially fascinated by Murray Humphreys who was credited for inventing the term money laundering..

That was Roemer's best book, DeNiro. I still don't like the way he marketed "War of the Godfathers" as non-fiction, but I'll give him credit where credit is due with "Accardo." There was some great historical stuff pertaining to the City of Chicago in that book. But I really could have done without the way he kept referring to Accardo as "The Man." It got annoying after awhile. Still a good book, though.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Mafia Books [Re: pizzaboy] #646010
05/03/12 07:14 PM
05/03/12 07:14 PM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

That was Roemer's best book, DeNiro. I still don't like the way he marketed "War of the Godfathers" as non-fiction, but I'll give him credit where credit is due with "Accardo." There was some great historical stuff pertaining to the City of Chicago in that book. But I really could have done without the way he kept referring to Accardo as "The Man." It got annoying after awhile. Still a good book, though.

Roemer called Accardo "The Man" because he got that info from an informer he could not name. Yeah a super secret informer. Yeah, that's the ticket.. smile

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Page 26 of 80 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 79 80

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull