GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Toodoped, 1 invisible), 57 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,128
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,386
Posts1,059,759
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 50 of 141 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 140 141
Re: Election 2012 [Re: ht2] #630085
01/17/12 04:56 PM
01/17/12 04:56 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: ht2
Original geschrieben von: Danito

What is he talking about? Turkey doesn't receive anyforeign aid from the US.
He talks about Turkey as if it was a country like Iran or Saudi Arabia. It's more secular than most European countries.

US sells military arms to Turkey. Is Turkey really more secular than most European countries...in what way? From the moderators question, it doesn't sound like it.

1) Selling arms is not foreign aid.
2) Turkey is secular because of a very strict separataion between religion and state. (Laizism has been a fundament of modern Turkey since 1923.) You're not allowed to show religious symbols in schools and other official institutions. The Erdogan government tried to allow women to wear headscarves in universities, which is a pretty normal thing for Muslim women in most European countries. The Supreme Court decided that that law was against the laizist constitution.

Re: Election 2012 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #630086
01/17/12 04:57 PM
01/17/12 04:57 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
It's important to understand that Turkey has something of unstable political history over the past several decades resulting in military coups of one dimension or another. Despite the military's subordination to civilian command on paper,it can be far from such inreality.

Turkey is officially and pretty much in practice a secular state. But, given the diverse elements of Islam such as we know to exist in the Islamic world, Turkey's population, politicians, and military have to be careful about what they say and do.

For years now I've characterized Turkey and Egypt as faux democracies because their militaries are always hovering around the edges (witness Egypt). Perry is, plaina nd simple, ignorant when it comes to international affairs. I'm embarrassed by him.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Election 2012 [Re: Danito] #630087
01/17/12 05:26 PM
01/17/12 05:26 PM
H
ht2 Offline
Capo
ht2  Offline
H
Capo
Originally Posted By: Danito

1) Selling arms is not foreign aid.
2) Turkey is secular because of a very strict separataion between religion and state. (Laizism has been a fundament of modern Turkey since 1923.) You're not allowed to show religious symbols in schools and other official institutions. The Erdogan government tried to allow women to wear headscarves in universities, which is a pretty normal thing for Muslim women in most European countries. The Supreme Court decided that that law was against the laizist constitution.

Although foreign aid is construed as monetary, selling and sharing military technology can be construed as aid. The Obama admin used this to put pressure on Turkey not too long ago. I guess there are pros and cons to Turkey's secularism and I agree he should not have used the word terrorist.

Re: Election 2012 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #630091
01/17/12 05:39 PM
01/17/12 05:39 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
As result of the 90s military intervention, the civilian government was compelled to agree to certain standards of secularization (no headscarves for one). Secular or not, Turkey's strategic position as a buffer between Europe and part of the middle east could prove vital to the US and NATO's strategies. For that reason alone, Perry should not be characterizing its government.

"Turkey's envoy to the United States expressed disappointment and concern over comments made by Texas governor Rick Perry in Monday's GOP debate in which the candidate described Turkey's moderate Islamic leadership as Islamic terrorists. A Turkish American group also called on the candidate to apologize for his "appalling" and "uneducated" comments, which have been greeted with disbelief, ridicule and anger by Turkey's press corps."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/turkis...-152639505.html

Last edited by olivant; 01/17/12 05:42 PM.

Re: Election 2012 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #630127
01/17/12 08:14 PM
01/17/12 08:14 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline OP
ronnierocketAGO  Offline OP
R

East Tennessee
Turkey isn't just a NATO member, it's an original member. Why Perry picked on them as extremists-run and not say Pakistan or Saudia Arabia, both which can't exactly refute that charge.

Re: Election 2012 [Re: dontomasso] #630128
01/17/12 08:20 PM
01/17/12 08:20 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Willard just said he paid 15% or less. Great tax code we have.

Reminds me of what uber-billionaire Warren Buffett said weeks back, that something is wrong when his secretary has to pay a higher federal tax rate % than he does.

Attaboy Newt!

Newt jabs Romney on Taxes

Quote:
The New York Times notes Newt Gingrich "poked fun" at Mitt Romney's acknowledgment that he paid about a 15% tax rate because his income was largely returns on investments.

Gingrich has long proposed a 15% flat tax option for all taxpayers and said, "I assume this afternoon Mitt will endorse my flat tax proposal and have every American pay at the rate he paid.''

He also offered to dub it "the Mitt Romney flat tax.''

Douchebag race master baiter, but I must admit that was funny. (And yes this sentence was intentional.)

Re: Election 2012 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #630144
01/18/12 12:06 AM
01/18/12 12:06 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Sen. John McCain's entire 200 page opposition research file on Mitt Romney from the 2008 GOP presidential campaign.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/01/17/mccains_oppo_file_on_romney.html

Re: Election 2012 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #630208
01/18/12 10:35 AM
01/18/12 10:35 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Reuters notes that it's not just Mitt Romney's low 15% tax rate that might deter him from releasing his tax returns. (Some speculate his tax % might actually be lower than 15%.)

Quote:
"His vast fortune is invested in dozens of funds linked to Bain Capital LLC, the powerhouse private equity firm he co-founded and led for 15 years. Several Bain funds have offshore connections and take advantage of tax breaks used only by the U.S. financial elite... Bain funds in which Romney is invested are scattered from Delaware to the Cayman Islands and Bermuda, Ireland and Hong Kong, according to a Reuters analysis of securities filings."

Chris Christie is also calling on Mittens to release the damn returns. (Or what, he'll do to him what he promised Iowa?)

Re: Election 2012 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #630209
01/18/12 10:38 AM
01/18/12 10:38 AM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Did Santorum win Iowa after all?

Quote:
That's what it looks like if numbers from a caucus in the town of Moulton, Appanoose County, are correctly counted when the official certification begins Wednesday night. This not only could rewrite the election history of 2012 to date -- it would invalidate the oft-repeated line that Mitt Romney is the only candidate to win both Iowa and New Hampshire. It would stop the inevitability narrative in its tracks."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/20...itt-romney.html

Re: Election 2012 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #630257
01/18/12 01:58 PM
01/18/12 01:58 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Romney to bail on further GOP debates?

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/article/will-frontrunner-romney-keep-debating/317361

I'm thinking of a word starting with "P" that rhymes with Wussy.

Mittens, you're the front-runner. You're going to be the nominee.

Yes you can't seem to do compete well with Newt or Santorum with the Insane Stupid vote, and you don't want to be embarrased again when people boo where your daddy was born. You win by default, backing your way into the nomination. Why stop that now?

If you can't hang with these crazy assholes in debate, what makes you think you can in the fall in debate with a competent adversary?

Re: Election 2012 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #630265
01/18/12 02:41 PM
01/18/12 02:41 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Ronnie,

You're hatred of Mittens is very trasparent. It's not because he's a Republican that you don't like him. It's that he's not Republican enough for you.

Now don't get me wrong. As a lifelong liberal Democrat, I'm ecstatic that you've left the insanity of neo-conservatism behind you. But you still have quite a bit of East Tennessee good old boy in you. If you didn't, you'd realize that Mitt's politics are a lot closer to Obama's than those other assholes. If we have to lose to someone (and I don't think we will), it's better to lose to Mittens than some religious zealot or some kook from the South.

It's very obvious that you have a thing for that tubby white haired fella from Georgia whistle.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Election 2012 [Re: pizzaboy] #630279
01/18/12 03:12 PM
01/18/12 03:12 PM
California
The Italian Stallionette Offline
The Italian Stallionette  Offline

California
I don't know PB, IF Mitt IS considering not debating (and as tired as I am of them), and is the only one to NOT debate, I think he will come across as a chicken-shit. Just like with his taxes. It's not like we don't know he's rich. He might as well do it now rather than later.

smile

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon

Re: Election 2012 [Re: pizzaboy] #630283
01/18/12 03:14 PM
01/18/12 03:14 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Mitt=Gore=Kerry

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Election 2012 [Re: dontomasso] #630284
01/18/12 03:17 PM
01/18/12 03:17 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Mitt=Gore=Kerry

Exactly.

But if we lose (and again, I don't think we will), I'd rather have any of those three flip-floppers than a Santorum or a Gingrich.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Election 2012 [Re: pizzaboy] #630287
01/18/12 03:20 PM
01/18/12 03:20 PM
California

California
Speaking of election, they are suppose to have a final tally of the NH votes. If you recall, Mitt supposedly won by what, 8 votes? Turns out that Santorum may have won in the end. I'm hearing this afternoon we'll know. I wonder why the Republicans aren't charging voter fraud. lol

It won't change anything BUT it should be official and accurate.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

Re: Election 2012 [Re: pizzaboy] #630288
01/18/12 03:21 PM
01/18/12 03:21 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Ronnie,

It's very obvious that you have a thing for that tubby white haired fella from Georgia whistle.

Hey, he's a good ole Pennsylvania boy!

Re: Election 2012 [Re: pizzaboy] #630289
01/18/12 03:23 PM
01/18/12 03:23 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
Ronnie,

You're hatred of Mittens is very trasparent. It's not because he's a Republican that you don't like him. It's that he's not Republican enough for you.

Now don't get me wrong. As a lifelong liberal Democrat, I'm ecstatic that you've left the insanity of neo-conservatism behind you. But you still have quite a bit of East Tennessee good old boy in you. If you didn't, you'd realize that Mitt's politics are a lot closer to Obama's than those other assholes. If we have to lose to someone (and I don't think we will), it's better to lose to Mittens than some religious zealot or some kook from the South.

PB, you're assuming Mittens is Barry 2.0 based on past political history. I mean with that logic, why wasn't Obama as liberal as he was as State Senator and U.S. Senator? For better or worse, Obama sold himself as the liberal alternative to Dubya America.

He got HCR (warts and all) passed, he repealed the idiotic DADT, and came close to making immigration reform with DREAM before it died. (Bill lacked fences apparently.) Not to mention fulfilling plans that Dubya had set in motion, of getting the fuck out of two Middle-Eastern countries that are draining us with little investment in return. Or for that matter, the great (if underreported) bill he signed that gave the FDA real teeth to enforce some health standards. Or for that matter, in foreign policy doing what Dubya tried and failed to do for years: get both Russia and China onboard for Iran sanctions.

Mittens isn't Clinton, who visibly sold himself in '92 as a "New" Democrat, who was pro-choice and pro-HCR and all that, but also was for fiscal responsibility. With swagger, charisma, and the fact his party was tired of losing nationally...he prevailed.

Now imagine if Clinton had that Arkansas record for fiscal moderate conservatism, but on the national stage sold it down the river as being a major mistake of his after the base went insane and said outright this was an unacceptable mistake.

Mittens is now selling himself as a Reagan conservative, totally disowning his one term as a moderate GOP Governor in a very blue as hell state. His most remarkable achievement in that administration, one which in saner times would've been a great national campaign selling point...it's his greatest political achievement as an executive, and he treats it an albatross, or the local leper.

I don't perceive the guy as someone who can mold, shape the party to whatever directions he aspires to. If people think Obama is weak-kneed (which at times, I think they might be accurate), Mittens suffers from the same ailment. Dreaming him as the sane warden of an insane asylum is quite optimistic, to say the least. He'll be as effective as the warden of Arkham Asylum, if he even tries. And I really doubt it.

Quite frankly, what has Mittens offered in current campaign in his America that's uniquely his in proposal? The only one I heard was his idea to tie the Federal wage into the CPI, which is an interesting, compelling idea. (Or has he disowned that too during the primaries and I missed it?) Otherwise he's selling himself as the American CEO who can get jobs back, unemployment down, and kill that evil Obamacare that's a bastard grandchild of his.

But that last line, that's the party speaking. A party that really invests public debate time and money in fighting the great evils of evolution and gay people, the latter trying to get equal civil rights being the greatest threat in America today. A party that doesn't want just war with Iran, they want Iraq 2.0, unilateral invasion and occupation. Because we have another trillion dollars and thousands of good folks left to spare. Remember Mittens mentioning two magic words at a debate: "regime change!"

Once upon a time, Romney championed a rather conservative approach to national HCR, which inspired Obamacare. It's not great, it's got flaws, but it's a start. The first foot in the door, which I hope is further reformed and expanded in the future to make it better. He could've sold himself as an Eisenhower Republican: Big government isn't evil and bad in general or principle, just only the big obtruse, unefficient, money-sucking agents of our government.

No he's a Reagan Republican, selling the 1980s for 2011. He's Reagan without the charm, grace, or inspiration. Or cool compelling new proposals.

(Plus he's an asshole. I don't hate him because he's an asshole, I don't like him because he's an asshole. Clinton was an asshole, but do people immediately think that? Of course not. Big difference.)

Last edited by ronnierocketAGO; 01/18/12 03:29 PM.
Re: Election 2012 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #630293
01/18/12 03:44 PM
01/18/12 03:44 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
One of the things that all of these posts are missing is the acknowledgement that there is a tremendous difference between campaigning for President and being President. Running for President requires appeal to a limited constituency; being President requires appeal to quite an expanded constituency. Romney and all of the Republican candidates are pursuing party delegate votes, something President Obama doesn't have to do.

Re: Election 2012 [Re: olivant] #630294
01/18/12 03:49 PM
01/18/12 03:49 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: olivant
Romney and all of the Republican candidates are pursuing party delegate votes, something President Obama doesn't have to do.

Exactly. And four years ago, when the shoe was on the other foot, Obama and Hillary nearly tore the party apart. Cooler heads finally prevailed, and now they work together (although I suspect it's an uneasy truce).

I'm not sure if that will be the case with the Republicans this year. I don't think Gingrich would mind splitting the party by going out in a blaze of glory.

Re: Election 2012 [Re: pizzaboy] #630298
01/18/12 04:19 PM
01/18/12 04:19 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
The cleavages in the Republican Party are wider than those in the Democratic Party. The reaction of the South Carolinian audience in the last debate to some of the candidate's statements is solid evidence of that. As Perry stated, South Carolina is at war with the federal government. However, much of that war is generated by South Carolinian and southern prejudices and a parochial outlook that has festered since the Civil War.

Last edited by olivant; 01/18/12 04:19 PM.

Re: Election 2012 [Re: olivant] #630300
01/18/12 04:22 PM
01/18/12 04:22 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
The cleavages in the Republican Party are wider than those in the Democratic Party. The reaction of the South Carolinian audience in the last debate to some of the candidate's statements is solid evidence of that. As Perry stated, South Carolina is at war with the federal government. However, much of that war is generated by South Carolinian and southern prejudices and a parochial outlook that has festered since the Civil War.

If you vote Democrat, I'm gonna break that window, Sheriff.

Re: Election 2012 [Re: pizzaboy] #630309
01/18/12 05:14 PM
01/18/12 05:14 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

If you vote Democrat, I'm gonna break that window, Sheriff.

Barney Fife: "You break that window Ernest T. Bass and you'll have to pay for it yourself."

Ernest: "No I won't."

Barney: "Yes you will. If the Republicans win the White House they'll be sure to cut out the $25 million that North Carolina receives annually from the federal government in law enforcement funding."

Last edited by olivant; 01/18/12 05:17 PM.

Re: Election 2012 [Re: pizzaboy] #630450
01/19/12 05:52 AM
01/19/12 05:52 AM
MI
Lilo Offline
Lilo  Offline

MI
Romney and all of the Republican candidates are pursuing party delegate votes, something President Obama doesn't have to do.

Exactly. And four years ago, when the shoe was on the other foot, Obama and Hillary nearly tore the party apart. Cooler heads finally prevailed, and now they work together (although I suspect it's an uneasy truce).

What do you think about this idea, pushed in some circles-mostly Bill Keller's- that Obama should drop Biden as VP and instead put Hillary there.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: Election 2012 [Re: Lilo] #630504
01/19/12 12:12 PM
01/19/12 12:12 PM
California

California
Iowa Governor due to speak shortly saying that, after vote count, Romney did NOT win Iowa, but Rick Santorum did. (Where are the voter fraud people now?) lol

Also, they are reporting that the Governor will endorse Newt.

TIS

Re: Election 2012 [Re: The Italian Stallionette] #630507
01/19/12 12:21 PM
01/19/12 12:21 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Well Rick Perry is now out. There goes a lot of entertainment value.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: Election 2012 [Re: Lilo] #630508
01/19/12 12:22 PM
01/19/12 12:22 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
Originally Posted By: Lilo

What do you think about this idea, pushed in some circles-mostly Bill Keller's- that Obama should drop Biden as VP and instead put Hillary there.

I don't think that's a good idea at all. As stupid as Biden has been, Hillary could chase away the Independents and Obama Republicans that loathe her so much.

Re: Election 2012 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #630512
01/19/12 01:07 PM
01/19/12 01:07 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
He won't do it. If he didn't want her on the ticket in 2008, he certainly doesn't need her now.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Election 2012 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #630518
01/19/12 01:27 PM
01/19/12 01:27 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
PB - I apologize for going off on ya like that. I tried to read what I wrote, but came off as too much in the heat of the moment, mindless partisan fury. I'm sure I have a decent argument in there somewhere, just needs some trimming and bacon.

Anyway, what to watch tonight: Debate or Newt's ex-wife exposing him on ABC? Let me get the popcorn.

Re: Election 2012 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #630524
01/19/12 01:45 PM
01/19/12 01:45 PM
East Tennessee
R
R

East Tennessee
What if the GOP field were superheroes?

http://thedisplacedplainsman.blogspot.com/2011/12/republican-candidates-and-super-heroes.html

This I couldn't resist posting. I can't help myself, this is crack.

Quote:
Mitt Romney is Plastic Man. The name matches the candidate's smile and the power to stretch oneself matches Romney's ability to tie himself into knots as he tries to explain his rapidly evolving political positions.

Re: Election 2012 [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #630535
01/19/12 02:37 PM
01/19/12 02:37 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
As a Democrat, I won't be voting for any Republican candidate. However, I am amused at the criticisms leveled at Romney and, for that matter, at other Republican candidates. For one, I don't care that his IRS tax rate is only 15%. Why would I? I don't care that he has changed his opinion regarding a number of issues. I've changed mine on some of them over the years. Wouldn't one be quite pedantic to do otherwise? Wouldn't one want a President who is responsive to a changing American environment?

Tea Party aligned Congressional members have learned that merely being in office does not achieve one's objectives. The most successful politicians learn that it's all about compromise. I see Romney as a compromiser and Gingrich and Santorum as ideologues and Gingrich having been Speaker of the House should know better.

Page 50 of 141 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 140 141

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull