GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 357 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,080
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,369
Posts1,059,519
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Mark] #642595
04/03/12 03:45 PM
04/03/12 03:45 PM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
I love this show and devoured last nights season 2 opener!!

But i have to admit, i have no clue what's going on lol

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Mark] #642615
04/03/12 05:36 PM
04/03/12 05:36 PM
BAM_233 Offline
Underboss
BAM_233  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Mark
Saw the episode - cool stuff. I wish that Dire Wolf would have at least nipped at that Lannister jerk in the cell. Question... why were those soldiers killing the babies and those other fellas? Were they after the guy with the bull helmet who was sneaking away with the Stark girl dressed as a boy?

mark, if jamie dies...so does sansa. they were killing robert's bastards.

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: BAM_233] #642623
04/03/12 06:23 PM
04/03/12 06:23 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Originally Posted By: BAM_233
Originally Posted By: Mark
Saw the episode - cool stuff. I wish that Dire Wolf would have at least nipped at that Lannister jerk in the cell. Question... why were those soldiers killing the babies and those other fellas? Were they after the guy with the bull helmet who was sneaking away with the Stark girl dressed as a boy?

mark, if jamie dies...so does sansa. they were killing robert's bastards.

100% correct BAM! lol

The Starks can not kill or otherwise harm Jaime because whatever happens to Jaime happens to Sansa.

In the book it's Cersei who orchestrates the child killing, as much as out of a final revenge on her husband as for realpolitik. In the show it's unclear as to whether it's Cersei or Joffrey but it doesn't much matter, I guess. The goal is to eliminate any future contenders for the throne and to prevent people from noticing or talking about the fact that ALL of Robert's children are dark haired and not blonde like Joffrey and his siblings who were born from incest.

The fellow with the bull helmet is one of Robert's older illegitimate children, Gendry, and is said to be the spitting image of Robert, which is why the Lannisters are extremely interesting in killing him.

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #642624
04/03/12 06:24 PM
04/03/12 06:24 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Originally Posted By: Yogi Barrabbas
I love this show and devoured last nights season 2 opener!!

But i have to admit, i have no clue what's going on lol

Check your PM, Yogi. smile

"When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives."
Winter is Coming

Now this is the Law of the Jungle—as old and as true as the sky; And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.
As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #642629
04/03/12 07:39 PM
04/03/12 07:39 PM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
Thanks for the clarity, guys! I got it now!

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #642660
04/04/12 06:17 AM
04/04/12 06:17 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/04/03/game-of-thrones-ratings-season-2/

Quote:
The second season premiere of HBO’s Game of Thrones delivered series-high ratings Sunday night.
Thrones returned to 3.9 million viewers. That’s up a massive 74 percent from its series debut last year. It also greatly improves upon the show’s previous all-time high, which was just over 3 million viewers. Including all three Sunday airings, the show delivered 6.3 million viewers. The numbers mean a third season renewal is pretty much guaranteed (and also dissolves any concerns that last season’s killing of popular characters would result in a dip).
Despite airing on a network with fewer subscribers than its basic cable rivals, HBO’s Thrones stomped the season 2 premiere of AMC’s The Killing (1.8 million) and the latest episode of Mad Men (2.9 million).

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #642661
04/04/12 06:36 AM
04/04/12 06:36 AM
M
Mark Offline
Underboss
Mark  Offline
M
Underboss
I've been telling everybody that does not watch this that they are really missing the boat. I think they assume it is some weird Dungeons & Dragons/Harry Potter stuff but they are mistaken. This is a very good series!

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #642819
04/05/12 07:40 PM
04/05/12 07:40 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Game Of Thrones wins Peabody Award

Quote:
The winners of the George Foster Peabody Awards were announced Wednesday morning, and among the entertainment winners are "Game of Thrones," "Parks and Recreation," "Homeland," "Portlandia," "The Colbert Report" and "Treme."

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #643537
04/12/12 07:05 AM
04/12/12 07:05 AM
naples,italy
furio_from_naples Offline
furio_from_naples  Offline

naples,italy

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #643655
04/12/12 06:55 PM
04/12/12 06:55 PM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Fuck Yeah! How awesome!!!

Caught the first two ep's; and wow. Love it. I had a tingly feeling watching it. Once again, of course, a little different from the book, but well done and emminently watchable. Just awesome.

(cough.)
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #644186
04/17/12 06:37 AM
04/17/12 06:37 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
I'm the furthest thing from a feminist but the writers are significantly reducing the agency of two rather important female characters (Cersei Lannister and Catelyn Stark) and giving their insights or even actions to their sons.

Adaptations must make alterations of course and book and TV are different works of art but some of these changes are altering characters a bit too much.

In the books for example
Click to reveal..
it's Cersei who orders the slaughter of Robert's children, not Joffrey. Cersei is never afraid of Joffrey. It's Catelyn Stark who has the idea to attempt to negotiate with Renly and Stannis, not Robb. It's Catelyn Stark who pulls rank on Robb and releases Jaime on her own idea, not because she's been tricked into it by Littlefinger. Littlefinger never sees Catelyn again. In short both Catelyn Stark and Cersei Lannister are fierce mothers, and proud women who take leading roles as their sons' advisors. Morally they are miles apart of course. But neither shrinks from attempting to protect their family.

I'm glad I read the books first. The show is still very enjoyable. But if you like the show and haven't read the books I would urge you to do so.

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #644356
04/18/12 11:02 AM
04/18/12 11:02 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Great points Lilo. Also, once again, the pacing is way off. Ive noticed too, the portrayal of Stannis has been curiously unsympahetic. As a character I've always imagined as stoically "honour bound" and rigid, almost somewhat like Ned Stark, they seem like they're playing him off as a thuggish dick.

The scenes of Theon back on the Iron Islands though...AWESOME. Basically exactly what Id imagined.

Came across a few GoT memes and articles, thought Id share.

GoT cake.

Theons yearbook.

Jake Gleeson (Joffrey) on quitting acting after GoT to purse a career in academia: http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/...ng-3082256.html

Charles Dance, on "nailing" Tywin Lannister

They're definitely pulling it off, in any case.

Last edited by Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica; 04/18/12 11:03 AM.

(cough.)
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #644495
04/19/12 05:54 AM
04/19/12 05:54 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Thanks MMB!!! Good finds.
I always thought the definitive scene between Tyrion and Tywin was in the war council last year where under his father's pitiless glare and atypically at a loss for words, Tyrion reaches for a goblet of wine and Twyin casually moves it out of his son's reach, while never taking his eyes off him.

Did anyone pickup the George Martin shout out to Lovecraft?

HP Lovecraft: "That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die" used in discussing the great old God Cthulhu who looks similar to a giant octopoid and is trapped in a sunken city.

George RR Martin: "What is dead may never die but rises again, harder and stronger" used by Ironborn to describe their "Drowned God" who may take the form of a giant octopoid.

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #644783
04/22/12 06:48 AM
04/22/12 06:48 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Game of Thrones continues to do well in viewership.
Variety Article

Richard Madden (Robb Stark) interview. His Scottish accent is much more obvious here. Interview

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #645555
04/30/12 07:11 PM
04/30/12 07:11 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Seeing as we're about a week behind you guys, I've been streaming it after all. I need my fix ASAP. Just finished the fifth episode, and some points;

After episode four "Garden of Bones", its apparent that they're really endeavouring to get us to hate Joffrey. Not just hate him, but actually loath him. The scene with him beating the prostitutes went on just a little too long, no? I wonder if they mean to speed up his storyline pursuantto the books.

Also, apparently the healer Talisa is a composite character, primarily based on Jeyne Westerling. I do wonder at what their direction with her will be. An interesting note, the actress, Oona Chaplin, is apparantly a grand-daughter of Charlie Chaplin.

And Jojen and Meera? IIRC, it was Jojen that had the "Sea coming to Winterfell" premonition, no? And now its Bran. Am I right on that? I plan on rereading the books again very soon in any case, there's a few things Id like to clarify and check.

Also, as yet not Ramsay Bolton. Considering what a big part he plays in later story arcs, I'd be very surprised if he's left out.

So once again, a few things here and there (Renly's peach during his parlay with Stannis, Harranhal being changed to Harranhall and Tywin instead of Roose Bolton taking Arya as a cupbearer) but understandable in what needs to be done in regards to pacing and and streamlining the story. Cant wait for the next one.

(cough.)
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #645556
04/30/12 07:29 PM
04/30/12 07:29 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Hey MMD!!

I don't think the Reeds have been cast so they might be out all together. It was Jojen that had the premonition. So far Robb's maternal relatives have not been shown either. I don't see how they can be left out with what is coming in the storyline.

I get that they only have 10 episodes and can not either for story or for money reasons include every character GRRM wrote. But a few of the changes were a bit unnerving. But I still trust the writers.

I guess they want to emphasize that Joffrey is a psycho but I already got that with the constant assaults on Sansa, the removal of the bard's tongue, the threatened murder of Ser Dontos, etc. I did like the brief happiness between Cersei and lil bro Tyrion that almost immediately went away.

And I am impressed with Gwendolyn Christie as Brienne. I had doubts but last night's episode removed them completely.

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #645569
04/30/12 09:28 PM
04/30/12 09:28 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Hey Lilo. One plus to be said for coming into the series late; you could watch the entire season in one block rather than waiting for the weekly ration.

Honestly, I totally agree. When I first saw who'd been cast, I thought Christie was too pretty to play Brienne, but man, is she pulling it off. She swordfights better than most men on the show! And her rigid, ungainly and overly solemn traits are really coming through.

And of course! The Blackfish! Cant believe I missed that one, and the other Tullys.

I totally understand how some characters need to be cut, but the choices are somewhat alarming, to say the least. Who's going to to act as Brans guide? Osha I guess. Which raises more questions. And why is Tywin seemingly so much more likable than the books? Will this impact on his later storylines?

Apparantly Weiss and Benioff have said that rather than completely cut characters, they mean to introduce them more slowly. So...I guess we'll see what happens.

Last edited by Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica; 04/30/12 09:29 PM.

(cough.)
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #645622
05/01/12 07:46 AM
05/01/12 07:46 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
I think Tywin still scares most of the people he comes in contact with. Notice his dismissal of his cousin for what he saw as defeatist talk and threat to have him beheaded. lol They've made Joffrey worse and in comparison Twyin looks "nicer"..

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #645633
05/01/12 09:54 AM
05/01/12 09:54 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
The first three episodes were disappointing, but the last two are good. Hopefully they continue this line.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Sonny_Black] #645706
05/01/12 07:16 PM
05/01/12 07:16 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
The first three episodes were disappointing, but the last two are good. Hopefully they continue this line.

What did you like and what didn't you like? smile

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #646249
05/06/12 03:25 AM
05/06/12 03:25 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia

(cough.)
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #646253
05/06/12 03:52 AM
05/06/12 03:52 AM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia

Last edited by Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica; 05/06/12 03:53 AM.

(cough.)
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #646261
05/06/12 10:12 AM
05/06/12 10:12 AM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
I thought it was a nice touch how , faced with disrespect and possible mutiny by his men, Theon tries to use the same verbal smackdown that Robb Stark used in a similar situation. But Theon Greyjoy is not Robb Stark and the target of the supposed intimidation just laughs in his face. It would have helped to have had a direwolf too. rolleyes Alfie Allen is doing a good job playing Theon. And Madden IS Robb Stark.

Sansa Stark gets a lot of fan contempt for her silly attachment to fairy tales, romances and belief in honor. But she was the oldest daughter. That is what she was taught and trained in by her parents. As we will no doubt see tonight or next week, Robb Stark has a lot (too many???) of the same beliefs about honor, doing the right thing and so on that can prove limiting in war time. It's not as obvious as with Sansa, because as a male he gets to be in a more active leadership role. The younger Stark children haven't yet had the opportunity to have been completely indoctrinated in Stark ethics and because of that and sheer necessity, will have to take a more flexible (realistic/Machiavellian??) approach to conflict.

And I really like Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark. Both her and Bean were a bit older than than the written characters but despite the writers taking actions away from Fairley, she is really shining in her role.

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #646264
05/06/12 11:45 AM
05/06/12 11:45 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Lilo
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black

What did you like and what didn't you like? smile

The first three episodes were very soap-like and slow-paced. Too much nakedness and boring dialoges to please the larger public and compensate for a slow start. The last two episodes finally made some progress and I expect the next ones will continue that line. I'm a fan of the first season and don't want to see this series being ruined by all that other bullshit.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #646620
05/08/12 08:24 PM
05/08/12 08:24 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Theon Greyjoy is a despicable character BUT one has to look at it from his point of view. He is an oath breaker and murderer but at the same time he is trying to remain loyal to his blood family who clearly despise him.

It's an interesting parallel with Tom Hagen, of all people, because both men were raised as "adopted children" by more powerful families and each of them knew they could never hope to inherit power from their adopted family. The difference though is that Hagen's family is gone and never had any conflict with the Corleones.

Theon's family is still very much around and has major unsettled business with the rest of Westeros and most especially the Starks. It was foolish for Robb to send Theon back to his family but was in keeping with the "honor before reason" characteristic which seems to plague Stark males. Once Theon's father decided to attack , Theon was in an impossible position. There was no way he could turn against his own blood. I thought Alfie Allen did a really good job portraying Theon's internal struggles as well as his essential need to prove that he's as good or better than the Starks.

Ultimately one could blame Ned Stark's mercy in taking Theon as a ward all those years ago instead of just ending the Greyjoys completely, which is certainly what Tywin Lannister would have done. But hindsight is always 20/20.

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #646636
05/08/12 10:38 PM
05/08/12 10:38 PM
Australia
M
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
I was stoked to hear mention of Ramsay Snow in the latest episode. The Bastard of Bolton is going to have quite a big role in later seasons.

Also, Natalia Tena! Naked! That was...that was pretty damn awesome. Who would have thought Nymphadora Tonks would agree to a full nude scene?

(cough.)
Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #647097
05/12/12 05:42 PM
05/12/12 05:42 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
GRRM Announcements:

Quote:

The TV show. I finished and delivered my script for season three of GAME OF THRONES. It's episode 307, with the working title "Autumn Storms." David and Dan seem to like it. Casting is in full swing for the new season, so I'm watching auditions every night. Froggy may be turning up soon, but don't hold your breath. I'm too busy to devote much time to whipping up obscure clues.

Calendar. Just got advance copies of the 2013 Ice & Fire calendar, illustrated by Marc Simonetti. My, but it's gorgeous. The rest of you will be able to buy calendars in July. As in previous years, the calendar will debut at the San Diego Comicon. And yes, I will be at the San Diego Comicon again. Not for the whole thing, no. San Diego was not on my schedule this year, but HBO wants me there for the GAME OF THRONES panel, so I'm going to squeeze in a quick visit on my way to Spain.

WINDS OF WINTER. Yes, I'm working on that too. At the moment, I am writing about the Dothraki. More than that, I sayeth not, you know I don't like to talk about this stuff...

smile Journal

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #647585
05/17/12 10:31 AM
05/17/12 10:31 AM
Toronto, Ontario
D
dontommasino Offline
Underboss
dontommasino  Offline
D
Underboss
Toronto, Ontario
Click to reveal..
Uh oh, Sansa bled on Sunday.

Although I am told not in the books, the dynamic between Tywin Lannister and Arya Stark is very good. At this point, Tywin has figured out that Arya is "high born," and some people are speculating whether he'll actually find out she's a Stark or whether she'll slip away somehow.

The Battle of Blackwater will be portrayed in a few episodes. I heard a rumor that they were saving "battle budget" for this episode, but we'll see.

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: dontommasino] #647680
05/17/12 06:56 PM
05/17/12 06:56 PM
MI
Lilo Offline OP
Lilo  Offline OP

MI
Originally Posted By: dontommasino
Click to reveal..
Uh oh, Sansa bled on Sunday.

Although I am told not in the books, the dynamic between Tywin Lannister and Arya Stark is very good. At this point, Tywin has figured out that Arya is "high born," and some people are speculating whether he'll actually find out she's a Stark or whether she'll slip away somehow.

The Battle of Blackwater will be portrayed in a few episodes. I heard a rumor that they were saving "battle budget" for this episode, but we'll see.

Yes, they have changed some things around from the books more so than from last season. Their show; their call. I don't mind...unless they start to alter the big picture. The Starks have maternal relatives/in-laws and the fact that they haven't been shown this season is a bit irksome since they have quite a lot to do with things, as it is mostly their kingdom where the majority of the war is fought.

Winter is Coming

Re: HBO's Game of Thrones [Re: Lilo] #647819
05/18/12 07:07 PM
05/18/12 07:07 PM
toronto
mr. soprano Offline
Underboss
mr. soprano  Offline
Underboss
toronto
I finally gave in and started watching game of thrones two weeks ago. It took me 2 days to watch season 1 and the first four episodes of season 2. It's clear to say... i'm hooked! LOL

Should i be reading the books?

"strange things happen all the time, and so it goes and so it goes. and the book says, 'we may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us'" - MAGNOLIA
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull