GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 351 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,452
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,858
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,510
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,313
Posts1,058,429
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: m2w] #625161
12/16/11 11:45 AM
12/16/11 11:45 AM
Canada
E
eurodave Offline OP
Capo
eurodave  Offline OP
E
Capo
Canada
Originally Posted By: m2w
i think the role of ontario clans are just speculations so far, there is not any evident fact conferming it

Much more than speculation here in Canada. Their involvement in this situation dates back to 2005 with Piccirilli and friends, not to mention Montagnas links and visits in Ontario.

Speculation would be a Zip war with the Montreal mafia:)

Last edited by eurodave; 12/16/11 11:46 AM.
Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: eurodave] #625166
12/16/11 11:55 AM
12/16/11 11:55 AM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
montagna links and visiting ontario are speculations
a debt that dates back in 2005 has nothing to do with then taking over
if like you claim ontario is involved they wouldn't wait so much and they start attacking rizzuto's suddenly after the opeation colisee in 2006
it's obvious that the war started when montagna was deported and boss of zip catalano released from prison

Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: m2w] #625167
12/16/11 11:56 AM
12/16/11 11:56 AM
Canada
E
eurodave Offline OP
Capo
eurodave  Offline OP
E
Capo
Canada
a debt that dates back in 2005 has nothing to do with then taking over
if like you claim ontario is involved they wouldn't wait so much and they start attacking rizzuto's suddenly after the opeation colisee in 2006
it's obvious that the war started when montagna was deported and boss of zip catalano released from prison

Prove it.

Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: eurodave] #625168
12/16/11 12:03 PM
12/16/11 12:03 PM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
we'll see who is right in the next future smile

Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: m2w] #625184
12/16/11 03:03 PM
12/16/11 03:03 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss

This obviously comes from Canadian police sources so it isn't speculation.

Maybe Rizzuto was never really killed, maybe it's all just speculation. wink

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: eurodave] #625187
12/16/11 03:26 PM
12/16/11 03:26 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
I've wondered for quite some time now if Canada really exists.

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: Sonny_Black] #625201
12/16/11 04:54 PM
12/16/11 04:54 PM
S
spartan Offline
Button
spartan  Offline
S
Button
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Originally Posted By: spartan
Originally Posted By: eurodave
Spartan,

When were the Musitanos released form jail and why are they often considered second tier?

I think they were released in 2007/08, but I'm not sure.

Their operations are not as big as other families/Clans. They are not involved in as much legitimate business as the other families/Clans (so have less cash flow). In terms of numbers they are much smaller. Their claim to fame is getting a reject ex-biker to kill Papalia and Barillaro (a crime in which the reject confessed).

If for example, the Musitanos dared move against the Commissos, they'd be finished within a month. They simply don't have the money, manpower, prestige, or allies....and they are not integrated into Ontario's Ndrangheta structure.

Spartan,

Do you think Montanga was with the Ontario guys or against them? The writers of Mafia Inc. indicate that he was with them as they state he made several trips to Ontario and was received with respect.

Hi Sonny, I don't know to be honest. But there are so many clans in Ontario that if someone wanted to make a move in Montreal (as Montagna apparently did), it would make sense to have Ontario onboard. I do think his relations with Ontario would have been good, especially since he didn't operate there at all.

Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: eurodave] #625256
12/16/11 10:18 PM
12/16/11 10:18 PM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
ontario clan except a crew in hamilton is not part of LCN and anyway montagna needn't them he knew several zips from NY
honestly, there are more wiseguys in the bonanno family than whole canada
but according to you a bunch of nobody from granby could take over the world and the bonanno's full of zips and connections not
it's laughable, just laughable

Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: m2w] #625306
12/17/11 04:36 AM
12/17/11 04:36 AM
S
spartan Offline
Button
spartan  Offline
S
Button
ontario clan except a crew in hamilton is not part of LCN and anyway montagna needn't them he knew several zips from NY
honestly, there are more wiseguys in the bonanno family than whole canada
but according to you a bunch of nobody from granby could take over the world and the bonanno's full of zips and connections not
it's laughable, just laughable

You can't possibly be from Toronto so you wouldn't have much of an idea about Italian OC there. I can tell you that between the various clans in the Toronto area, there are a lot more member and associates than the Bonnanos in NYC. In terms of numbers, wealth, and connections they are huge. But because they stay very quiet and not many of them ever go to prison, let alone become informants, they stay under the radar. For God's sake the Bonnanos had a boss of their family become a government witness. The chance of the Commisso brothers become government informants is nil.

The word is that Montagna had started extorted construction companies in Montreal for 5% of their profits. Had he been deported to Toronto instead of Montreal and tried to extort companies (a lot of which are Italian owned), no one would have paid him a dime. In Toronto if he tried to get involved in any racket controlled by local Calabrians, he would not been able to play the "Bonnano boss" card. LCN doesn't mean what you think it does in Ontario.

Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: m2w] #625321
12/17/11 09:35 AM
12/17/11 09:35 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
but according to you a bunch of nobody from granby could take over the world and the bonanno's full of zips and connections not it's laughable, just laughable

Nobody said that the D'Amico's from Granby were behind it, although they could be part of the coalition. The last thing I read about them is that they were in hiding themselves somewhere in the Caribbean.

Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: spartan] #625322
12/17/11 09:39 AM
12/17/11 09:39 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I can tell you that between the various clans in the Toronto area, there are a lot more member and associates than the Bonnanos in NYC.

IvyLeague posted an article here a while ago which stated that Italian authorities named 40 members of all the 9 locali in Toronto.

Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: Sonny_Black] #625331
12/17/11 11:05 AM
12/17/11 11:05 AM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
I can tell you that between the various clans in the Toronto area, there are a lot more member and associates than the Bonnanos in NYC.

IvyLeague posted an article here a while ago which stated that Italian authorities named 40 members of all the 9 locali in Toronto.

it's what i said, 40 members less than half of the bonanno's in new york

Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: m2w] #625593
12/18/11 07:09 PM
12/18/11 07:09 PM
S
spartan Offline
Button
spartan  Offline
S
Button

As someone who knows this a little better than most, I can assure you there are more than 40 members of the Calabrian Ndrangheta in southern Ontario. You are all free to believe whatever you wish or listen and read any "reporter" or "journalist" you like. But common sense would dictate...who the hell would Italian authorities know how many Ndrangheta members there are in southern Ontario? If any of you know people in southern Ontario law enforcement, please ask them if there are 40 mobsters in the entire region.

I hear of stories of NYC mobsters getting caught trying to shake down hot dog carts and adult video stores......tell me the last time you ever heard of a Toronto or Montreal getting caught for this sort of thing. For God's sake there are Ndrangheta controlled companies involved in construction in Ontario that gets 10's of millions a year in gov't contracts. It's not a "40 man" operation in Ontario.

Last edited by spartan; 12/18/11 07:18 PM.
Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: eurodave] #625595
12/18/11 07:52 PM
12/18/11 07:52 PM
Balkans
Strax Offline
Underboss
Strax  Offline
Underboss
Balkans
Its not 40 man operation,and that about NYC mobsters getting caught trying to shake down hot dog carts and adult video stores,thats just 2-3 of them,poor soldiers,shame.NYC mob is invloved a lot in counstruction too etc.

"A fish with his mouth closed never get's caught"
Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: spartan] #625599
12/18/11 08:57 PM
12/18/11 08:57 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

As someone who knows this a little better than most, I can assure you there are more than 40 members of the Calabrian Ndrangheta in southern Ontario. You are all free to believe whatever you wish or listen and read any "reporter" or "journalist" you like. But common sense would dictate...who the hell would Italian authorities know how many Ndrangheta members there are in southern Ontario? If any of you know people in southern Ontario law enforcement, please ask them if there are 40 mobsters in the entire region.

I hear of stories of NYC mobsters getting caught trying to shake down hot dog carts and adult video stores......tell me the last time you ever heard of a Toronto or Montreal getting caught for this sort of thing. For God's sake there are Ndrangheta controlled companies involved in construction in Ontario that gets 10's of millions a year in gov't contracts. It's not a "40 man" operation in Ontario.

Well, we really don't hear much regarding Italian OC in Toronto. Which sort of makes one question the assertion made by some here about armies of local 'Ndrangheta guys walking around. As I posted on the other forum, people bought into that "Sixth Family" stuff about the Rizzutos in Montreal. And now people are making the same claims about the Calabrians in Toronto. Even though there's not much to base it on.

If you want to turn this into a pissing contest, maybe you should do some more research on the NY mob. It's not just hot dog carts. For example, back in 2005 it was reported that mob-linked companies had received $1.2 billion on over 100 public contracts between 1995 and 2005.

If we go on demonstrable evidence alone, and not on pure assumptions or claims of exclusive insight based on where somebody lives, there is a bigger mob presence in the NY metro area than in Montreal and Toronto combined.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: Sonny_Black] #625620
12/18/11 10:46 PM
12/18/11 10:46 PM
Ontario
M
Mussolini14 Offline
Capo
Mussolini14  Offline
M
Capo
Ontario
but according to you a bunch of nobody from granby could take over the world and the bonanno's full of zips and connections not it's laughable, just laughable

Nobody said that the D'Amico's from Granby were behind it, although they could be part of the coalition. The last thing I read about them is that they were in hiding themselves somewhere in the Caribbean.

I highly doubt it since they were ready and willing to go to war with the Rizzuto's while Vito was still on the street.

Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: IvyLeague] #625622
12/18/11 10:53 PM
12/18/11 10:53 PM
Ontario
M
Mussolini14 Offline
Capo
Mussolini14  Offline
M
Capo
Ontario
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague

Well, we really don't hear much regarding Italian OC in Toronto. Which sort of makes one question the assertion made by some here about armies of local 'Ndrangheta guys walking around. As I posted on the other forum, people bought into that "Sixth Family" stuff about the Rizzutos in Montreal. And now people are making the same claims about the Calabrians in Toronto. Even though there's not much to base it on.

If you want to turn this into a pissing contest, maybe you should do some more research on the NY mob. It's not just hot dog carts. For example, back in 2005 it was reported that mob-linked companies had received $1.2 billion on over 100 public contracts between 1995 and 2005.

If we go on demonstrable evidence alone, and not on pure assumptions or claims of exclusive insight based on where somebody lives, there is a bigger mob presence in the NY metro area than in Montreal and Toronto combined.

While I agree that there is a bigger mob presence in NYC than in TO I think your formula of number of indictments = number of mobsters is flawed. The Greater Toronto area has a population of nearly 6 million an Italian is the #2 spoken second language. Because Canadian police have common sense and allocate more resources to go after street gangs and crack dealers who pose a greater danger to the average civilian than the mob, certainly doesn't mean there is a lack of OC here. Nevertheless I highly doubt there are even half as many mobster in the GTA as there are in NYC.

Last edited by Mussolini14; 12/18/11 11:33 PM.
Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: Mussolini14] #625641
12/19/11 02:37 AM
12/19/11 02:37 AM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Mussolini14
While I agree that there is a bigger mob presence in NYC than in TO I think your formula of number of indictments = number of mobsters is flawed. The Greater Toronto area has a population of nearly 6 million an Italian is the #2 spoken second language. Because Canadian police have common sense and allocate more resources to go after street gangs and crack dealers who pose a greater danger to the average civilian than the mob, certainly doesn't mean there is a lack of OC here. Nevertheless I highly doubt there are even half as many mobster in the GTA as there are in NYC.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "lack" is. I'm not saying there is no Italian OC in Toronto. I'm saying that I see little evidence to support it being on the scale that some claim it is. Especially when they start in with that nonsense about the "balance of power" now being in Canada.

You know what's funny? That whole line of thinking more or less started out with the book The Sixth Family: The Collapse of the New York Mafia and the Rise of Vito Rizzuto.

Fast forward 5 years from when that book was written and we see another example of how authors often exaggerate their topic. The NY Mafia hadn't exactly "collapsed" and the Rizzutos weren't as omnipotent as some had thought.

But now the problem is some are making the same claims about the Calabrians in Toronto.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: IvyLeague] #625648
12/19/11 06:47 AM
12/19/11 06:47 AM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Project Colisee' had just resulted in in a series of raids and arrests on the Rizzuto oganization after a couple decades or so of relative prosperity; Sixth Family was written on the cusp of the ensuing chaos. How could Lamoth and Humphries have known that with Vito out of the picture, things would go the way they have?

These sort of lists only ever reference the key guys that got caught up in that particular investigation. Its not indicative of the true numbers..

Im noticing this in my reasearch on the Calabrian cells in Australia, that for every guy named as a 'leader' or soldier/operative/whatever, there's an extensive network of contacts. These lists dont reflect the true numbers.

Last edited by Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica; 12/19/11 06:48 AM.

(cough.)
Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: IvyLeague] #625649
12/19/11 07:05 AM
12/19/11 07:05 AM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I guess it depends on what your definition of "lack" is. I'm not saying there is no Italian OC in Toronto. I'm saying that I see little evidence to support it being on the scale that some claim it is. Especially when they start in with that nonsense about the "balance of power" now being in Canada.

'Ndrangheta members are known to operate different than the average mobster and they are usually more low-key. They are also generally more involved in legitimate businesses. So the number of indictments hypothesis doesn't necessarily have to correspond for them too.

I'm also one of those who believes that naming 40 members by Italian authorities doesn't have to mean that there couldn't be more who weren't named. But it does strongly indicate, like you said, that there aren't hundreds of them operating in Toronto like some want to believe. So I think the number would be closer to 50, but that doesn't include "associates".

Quote:
You know what's funny? That whole line of thinking more or less started out with the book The Sixth Family: The Collapse of the New York Mafia and the Rise of Vito Rizzuto.

You should definitely read Mafia Inc.

I do think the Rizzutos were a powerhouse because of their impressive network and I think they could have been at one point more powerful than some of the medium-sized American families.

Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: IvyLeague] #625693
12/19/11 02:02 PM
12/19/11 02:02 PM
Ontario
M
Mussolini14 Offline
Capo
Mussolini14  Offline
M
Capo
Ontario

Fast forward 5 years from when that book was written and we see another example of how authors often exaggerate their topic. The NY Mafia hadn't exactly "collapsed" and the Rizzutos weren't as omnipotent as some had thought.

But now the problem is some are making the same claims about the Calabrians in Toronto.

I see what you mean and I while every author likes to hype up their subject, Lamothe and Humphries were on a whole new level when it came to the Rizzuto's. Trying to get the reader to believe that Vito was some untouchable Don and had a say in every drug deal/extortion/murder that occurred. An they went on and on about Vito's Sicilian connections like no other member of LCN have ties to Sicily.

Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: Mussolini14] #625700
12/19/11 02:21 PM
12/19/11 02:21 PM
Canada
E
eurodave Offline OP
Capo
eurodave  Offline OP
E
Capo
Canada

I see what you mean and I while every author likes to hype up their subject, Lamothe and Humphries were on a whole new level when it came to the Rizzuto's. Trying to get the reader to believe that Vito was some untouchable Don and had a say in every drug deal/extortion/murder that occurred. An they went on and on about Vito's Sicilian connections like no other member of LCN have ties to Sicily.

You`re absolutely right.......although it was a fascinating read, the Rizzuto crime family( Rizzuto-Renda-Arcadi-Sollecito) was thought to be much stronger than they actually were. In the end, they become over-exposed and arrogant, which ultimately lead to their downfall.

Because the Ndrangheta is constantly mentioned by Italian journalists these days, there is the possibility that some people start thinking that the Siderno Group will become the next Rizzuto empire. While there might be some truth to that, criminal organizations are fairly complexe and there are a multitude of players involved.

If we based our knowledge on the Sixth Family alone, we would have never known about other prominent figures within the Montreal mafia which can be a threat to the Rizzuto crime family.

Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: eurodave] #625725
12/19/11 04:30 PM
12/19/11 04:30 PM
Mukremin Offline
Underboss
Mukremin  Offline
Underboss
Any pictures of him? And any new unknown pictures of Sal the Ironworker? There seems only 2 photos of him, one mugshot and other his dead.

Up to date mafia charts --> https://cosanostracharts.wordpress.com/
Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: Mukremin] #625728
12/19/11 05:12 PM
12/19/11 05:12 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Mukremin
Any pictures of him? And any new unknown pictures of Sal the Ironworker? There seems only 2 photos of him, one mugshot and other his dead.

http://fr.canoe.ca/infos/societe/archives/2011/12/20111215-074400.html

Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: Mukremin] #625739
12/19/11 06:07 PM
12/19/11 06:07 PM
Mooney Offline
Capo
Mooney  Offline
Capo
Originally Posted By: Mukremin

there is also a picture of Pietrantonio in the 6th family rizzuto book where he looks to be in his mid 30's maybe. however i can't find it online.

"Thank God for the American Jury System" - Nicky Scarfo
Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: Sonny_Black] #625753
12/19/11 08:42 PM
12/19/11 08:42 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

'Ndrangheta members are known to operate different than the average mobster and they are usually more low-key.

That's the same argument I hear over and over again by people who claim the Detroit or Kansas City families are still going strong. And what about all the 'Ndrangheta busts in Italy or other parts of Europe? Did they miss out on the memo about being low key?

Quote:
They are also generally more involved in legitimate businesses. So the number of indictments hypothesis doesn't necessarily have to correspond for them too.

The Sicilians in Montreal were/are also involved in legitimate businesses. And I've said before that's what I think the actual Sicilian Mafia and Calabrian 'Ndrangheta clans are most involved with in North America - money laundering via legitimate businesses.

My point about indictments was in response to some people saying the move on the Rizzutos is an effort by the 'NDrangheta to take control of the drug trade. But also one would think there would be at least some occasional criminal charges that pop up from time to time.

Quote:
I'm also one of those who believes that naming 40 members by Italian authorities doesn't have to mean that there couldn't be more who weren't named. But it does strongly indicate, like you said, that there aren't hundreds of them operating in Toronto like some want to believe. So I think the number would be closer to 50, but that doesn't include "associates".

Either way, 40 or 50 I could believe. I've just noticed some people getting carried away lately with the talk about Toronto when there really isn't a whole lot of info.

Quote:
You should definitely read Mafia Inc.

I own the book.

Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: eurodave] #625756
12/19/11 08:54 PM
12/19/11 08:54 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Sonny Black
I do think the Rizzutos were a powerhouse because of their impressive network and I think they could have been at one point more powerful than some of the medium-sized American families.

Ah ha. That's really the issue here. How we define what we call "the Rizzutos." It seems that many have made the mistake of equating all of organized crime in Montreal with "The Rizzutos." Or thinking that everything, at least from an Italian OC perspective, falls under that umbrella there.

Technically speaking, I don't know if it's really accurate to call it the "Rizzuto crime family." Once again, Salvatore Vitale testified that there were about 20 made guys up in Montreal, including Nick and Vito Rizzuto, who were made members of the Bonanno family. And, before he was killed, Sciascia was the captain of the Montreal crew. Vito was a soldier. My understanding is most of these guys descended from Cattolica Eraclea and Siculiana. They were the core of what you call Rizzuto's network.

Now, as far as this larger network, which eventually could involve just about all of organized crime in Montreal and elsewhere in Canada, here's what Lamothe said over on the Real Deal a few years back -

"The Rizzuto Criminal Organization is made up of various individuals and groups, including LCN, 'ndrangheta clans, and small family groupings of perhaps a father and two sons who have proven themselves over time in the underworld -- the father is made and the sons aren't. The Associates are everybody: white collar crooks, telemarketers, bikers, Natives, Chinese, Iranians. So it seems there are three "levels". Born/blood Sicilians loyal to the clan; criminal organizations and groups loyal to the clan but have their own interests and other loyalties -- such as 'ndrangheta -- and Associates. As long as the Rizzuto Family is strong that's where the power will flow from; if another powerful -- likely Sicilian based from Western Sicily -- emerges from the problems of the Rizzutos, then that layer will be drawn to them; the Associates are without loyalty and will go to whoever can protect them and allow them to make money successfully."

Here's another way he described it on another forum before that -

Explaining the makeup and structure of the Rizzuto organization is even more complicated. There's no pyramid of boss, underboss, captains, soldiers. The simplest way to figure it out is to draw circle the size of a dime on a piece of paper. That's the core of the Rizzutos -- essentially think of it as a cult of families all related by blood and marriage. Within the hard core centre are the Rizzutos, the Mannos, more recently the Ragusas, the Rendas, etc.Now make other circles, smaller, orbiting the main circle. These are other Sicilian or Calabrese clans or groups. Among the little orbiting circles are some triangles: these are the pyramids, more traditional groups that follow the American pyramid style. Scattered well away from the main group and the more closely associated smallest circles and triangles are various groups: bikers, Natives, Chinese, lawyers and accountants and stock brokers. These stretch across the country.

This has what has led to people more or less equating the Rizzutos or a "Sixth Family" with the larger organized crime scene in Canada as a whole. And then making inaccurate comparisons between it and specific LCN families in the U.S. While a lot of good information is provided in both books, that's what the Sixth Family was really doing: saying the Rizzutos had become stronger than the entire Bonanno family when it was really putting up most of the Montreal underworld to the Bonanno family.

Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: IvyLeague] #625774
12/19/11 10:59 PM
12/19/11 10:59 PM
Ontario
M
Mussolini14 Offline
Capo
Mussolini14  Offline
M
Capo
Ontario

Ah ha. That's really the issue here. How we define what we call "the Rizzutos." It seems that many have made the mistake of equating all of organized crime in Montreal with "The Rizzutos." Or thinking that everything, at least from an Italian OC perspective, falls under that umbrella there.

Technically speaking, I don't know if it's really accurate to call it the "Rizzuto crime family." Once again, Salvatore Vitale testified that there were about 20 made guys up in Montreal, including Nick and Vito Rizzuto, who were made members of the Bonanno family. And, before he was killed, Sciascia was the captain of the Montreal crew. Vito was a soldier. My understanding is most of these guys descended from Cattolica Eraclea and Siculiana. They were the core of what you call Rizzuto's network.

Now, as far as this larger network, which eventually could involve just about all of organized crime in Montreal and elsewhere in Canada, here's what Lamothe said over on the Real Deal a few years back -

"The Rizzuto Criminal Organization is made up of various individuals and groups, including LCN, 'ndrangheta clans, and small family groupings of perhaps a father and two sons who have proven themselves over time in the underworld -- the father is made and the sons aren't. The Associates are everybody: white collar crooks, telemarketers, bikers, Natives, Chinese, Iranians. So it seems there are three "levels". Born/blood Sicilians loyal to the clan; criminal organizations and groups loyal to the clan but have their own interests and other loyalties -- such as 'ndrangheta -- and Associates. As long as the Rizzuto Family is strong that's where the power will flow from; if another powerful -- likely Sicilian based from Western Sicily -- emerges from the problems of the Rizzutos, then that layer will be drawn to them; the Associates are without loyalty and will go to whoever can protect them and allow them to make money successfully."

Explaining the makeup and structure of the Rizzuto organization is even more complicated. There's no pyramid of boss, underboss, captains, soldiers. The simplest way to figure it out is to draw circle the size of a dime on a piece of paper. That's the core of the Rizzutos -- essentially think of it as a cult of families all related by blood and marriage. Within the hard core centre are the Rizzutos, the Mannos, more recently the Ragusas, the Rendas, etc.Now make other circles, smaller, orbiting the main circle. These are other Sicilian or Calabrese clans or groups. Among the little orbiting circles are some triangles: these are the pyramids, more traditional groups that follow the American pyramid style. Scattered well away from the main group and the more closely associated smallest circles and triangles are various groups: bikers, Natives, Chinese, lawyers and accountants and stock brokers. These stretch across the country.

This has what has led to people more or less equating the Rizzutos or a "Sixth Family" with the larger organized crime scene in Canada as a whole. And then making inaccurate comparisons between it and specific LCN families in the U.S. While a lot of good information is provided in both books, that's what the Sixth Family was really doing: saying the Rizzutos had become stronger than the entire Bonanno family when it was really putting up most of the Montreal underworld to the Bonanno family.

Ivy or Eurodave, what do you guys know about the D'amico's from Granby? There isn't much info about them on the boards but from what I understand that were willing to go to war with the Rizzuto's before Vito was arrested so they must be at least somewhat significant. Iirc the only mention of them in either the "6th Family" or "Mafia Inc" was that they were making agressive moves against he Rizzuto's and drove down the street that the Rizzuto's, Renda ect lived on in a 16 SUV convoy as a show of strength

Last edited by Mussolini14; 12/19/11 11:01 PM.
Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: IvyLeague] #625776
12/20/11 12:44 AM
12/20/11 12:44 AM
Canada
E
eurodave Offline OP
Capo
eurodave  Offline OP
E
Capo
Canada

Excellent post and being from Montreal, I think it accurately portrays the situation. The example given about the circles is what describes the situation best if you ask me and what you're seeing in Montreal lately is the elimination of the inner core by the outer core, more notably rival Sicilians and Calabrians not belonging to the Rendas-Manno-Rizzuto families.

I see it this way,

First tier: Rizzuto, Renda, Cammalleri, Manno, Ragusa etc..
Second tier: Arcuri, Toronto Sicilians, Hamilton, Siderno Group
Third Tier: Italian-Canadian criminals like Piccirilli, D'Amico, Di Maulo, Gallo, Mucci

and then you have the others around like bikers, asians, arabs, blacks etc.....

The people capable of replacing the Rizzuto's are usually the second tier which is what were seeing now.

Re: Murder attempt on Antonion Pietrantonio last night [Re: eurodave] #625801
12/20/11 10:36 AM
12/20/11 10:36 AM
Ontario
M
Mussolini14 Offline
Capo
Mussolini14  Offline
M
Capo
Ontario
Originally Posted By: eurodave

Excellent post and being from Montreal, I think it accurately portrays the situation. The example given about the circles is what describes the situation best if you ask me and what you're seeing in Montreal lately is the elimination of the inner core by the outer core, more notably rival Sicilians and Calabrians not belonging to the Rendas-Manno-Rizzuto families.

I see it this way,

First tier: Rizzuto, Renda, Cammalleri, Manno, Ragusa etc..
Second tier: Arcuri, Toronto Sicilians, Hamilton, Siderno Group
Third Tier: Italian-Canadian criminals like Piccirilli, D'Amico, Di Maulo, Gallo, Mucci

and then you have the others around like bikers, asians, arabs, blacks etc.....

The people capable of replacing the Rizzuto's are usually the second tier which is what were seeing now.

Very interesting. I know many over at realdeal believe Di Maulo to be the driving force behind the coup.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull