GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Toodoped), 537 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,603
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,081
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,517
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,372
Posts1,059,535
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
At what point did Mike turn evil #621377
11/24/11 04:02 PM
11/24/11 04:02 PM
J
JCrusher Offline OP
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline OP
J
Underboss
The character of Mike is one of the better transisitions i've see in film. he went from a pretty good college guy/war veteran to a cold blooded monster. When do people think Mike finally made the turn to evil. I dont think it was at the point of the Sollozzo hit since he still had some hesitation about killing. i think when Appolonia died he pretty much became the psycho don from that point.

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: JCrusher] #621379
11/24/11 04:18 PM
11/24/11 04:18 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
I think his final transition happened in SICILY, but not necessarily due to Apollonia's death.

It's been both described in the novel and shown in the film that Michael recognised his "father's" side in him when he was in Sicily. An important moment when he realised this was when he needed to prove himself at Signor Vitelli's restaurant. He suddenly appeared to be a "man to respect".

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: JCrusher] #621380
11/24/11 04:23 PM
11/24/11 04:23 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
I don't believe in evil. There's only what we do. So, I don't believe that Mike turned to evil. He did things that we characterize as evil. He didn't think they were. He thought they were justifiable. Concocting the murder of Sollozzo seemed justifiable to him just as his divorcing kay and almost turning her children against her seemed justafiable. If there is evil, he always had it in him. It just took circumstances to prompt its expression.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: JCrusher] #621398
11/24/11 05:50 PM
11/24/11 05:50 PM
J
JCrusher Offline OP
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline OP
J
Underboss
I don't mean evil like devil worship I just mean evil in the sense of doing horrible things and not having much emotion/remorse for it

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: olivant] #621409
11/24/11 06:39 PM
11/24/11 06:39 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: olivant
He did things that we characterize as evil. He didn't think they were. He thought they were justifiable.

Adolf Hitler also thought the things he did were justifiable. rolleyes

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: Sonny_Black] #621410
11/24/11 06:41 PM
11/24/11 06:41 PM
J
JCrusher Offline OP
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline OP
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
He did things that we characterize as evil. He didn't think they were. He thought they were justifiable.

Adolf Hitler also thought the things he did were justifiable. rolleyes

LOL thats true. I mean the reason they are psychopaths is that they don't feel remorse or they dont feel they are doing anything wrong

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: olivant] #621465
11/25/11 06:51 AM
11/25/11 06:51 AM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: olivant
I don't believe in evil. There's only what we do. So, I don't believe that Mike turned to evil. He did things that we characterize as evil. He didn't think they were. He thought they were justifiable. Concocting the murder of Sollozzo seemed justifiable to him just as his divorcing kay and almost turning her children against her seemed justafiable. If there is evil, he always had it in him. It just took circumstances to prompt its expression.

According to Phil Zimbardo evil is related to power, the will to dominate people. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsFEV35tWsg
(This is just a little summary of his 500 pages book, which in fact is a 1,000 pages book because of the small fonts.)
In my opinion there's a significant change in Michael towards killing. When Tessio and Clemenza discuss the killing of Philipp and Bruno Tattaglia, Sollozzo and others, he asks: "You kill all those guys?" Two or three days later he's ready to kill Sollozzo and McCluskey, and he knows that this will change his life forever. He knows he has to disappear, he has to leave his love. He knows he's acting against the law.
Zimbardo says, we all have both sides in us. The question is, are we ready to resist? We don't know what Michael experiences during WW2 and what he really did there. Very probably, he saw injustice, he saw cruelty, he saw people dying. Definetely more than shooting people a mile away.

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: Danito] #621488
11/25/11 12:48 PM
11/25/11 12:48 PM
J
JCrusher Offline OP
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline OP
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Danito

According to Phil Zimbardo evil is related to power, the will to dominate people. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsFEV35tWsg
(This is just a little summary of his 500 pages book, which in fact is a 1,000 pages book because of the small fonts.)
In my opinion there's a significant change in Michael towards killing. When Tessio and Clemenza discuss the killing of Philipp and Bruno Tattaglia, Sollozzo and others, he asks: "You kill all those guys?" Two or three days later he's ready to kill Sollozzo and McCluskey, and he knows that this will change his life forever. He knows he has to disappear, he has to leave his love. He knows he's acting against the law.
Zimbardo says, we all have both sides in us. The question is, are we ready to resist? We don't know what Michael experiences during WW2 and what he really did there. Very probably, he saw injustice, he saw cruelty, he saw people dying. Definetely more than shooting people a mile away.

Good analysis

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: JCrusher] #621558
11/26/11 03:36 AM
11/26/11 03:36 AM
J
JCrusher Offline OP
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline OP
J
Underboss
After watching it again i think when mike comes back from italy he pretty much left his humanity. Also in part two physicaly you can see how evil he has become from his lips that have turned white to the wrinkles on his eyes. almost like a skull or something

Last edited by JCrusher; 11/26/11 03:36 AM.
Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: JCrusher] #621711
11/26/11 09:35 PM
11/26/11 09:35 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
I don't think it was "turning evil" so much as a shift in his values, strongly impacted by his father's shooting and Appolonia's murder. At the wedding, he seemed to reject his father ("That's my family, Kay--that's not me"). But when he was wooing Kay after he returned from Sicily, his father had become "just like any other man with responsibility for others") including senators and governors who have men killed. I think he must have had an epiphany: that virtue and right can be swept away by force, and that the only way to live was to be a force instead of one who was swept away. He had adopted Vito's attitude ("...and I refused to be a puppett...").

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.
Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: Turnbull] #621717
11/26/11 10:08 PM
11/26/11 10:08 PM
J
JCrusher Offline OP
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline OP
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
I don't think it was "turning evil" so much as a shift in his values, strongly impacted by his father's shooting and Appolonia's murder. At the wedding, he seemed to reject his father ("That's my family, Kay--that's not me"). But when he was wooing Kay after he returned from Sicily, his father had become "just like any other man with responsibility for others") including senators and governors who have men killed. I think he must have had an epiphany: that virtue and right can be swept away by force, and that the only way to live was to be a force instead of one who was swept away. He had adopted Vito's attitude ("...and I refused to be a puppett...").

He was very different from Vito. Vito obviously wouldn't hurt his family and do other methods that were unsound that mike did

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: JCrusher] #621794
11/27/11 02:20 PM
11/27/11 02:20 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: JCrusher
He was very different from Vito. Vito obviously wouldn't hurt his family and do other methods that were unsound that mike did

According to the novel, Vito put his own son Fredo "on the shit list", that is, he didn't talk to him any more, except for a few messages.
What methods are you referring to? Vito killed people or had people killed. In "business affairs" he was as cruel and cold as Michael. The only difference was that he was able to keep a lot of friends.
We tend to say that when it comes to family, Vito was much more the loving man than Michael. But I think, the circumstances under which Vito lived were more favorable. Vito didn't have to deal with women's emancipation (and an arguing wife), he didn't have to deal with a brother who betrayed him, etc.

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: Danito] #621796
11/27/11 02:30 PM
11/27/11 02:30 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
" ... and do other methods that were unsound that mike did."

Such as? What's unsound? Vito named a non-sicilian as consigliere? Vito sent Luca to find out about Sollozzo? Vito said no to drugs although they were "the coming thing." And Vito allowed the fighting qualitie of his capos to erode during ten years of peace.

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: olivant] #621814
11/27/11 04:14 PM
11/27/11 04:14 PM
J
JCrusher Offline OP
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline OP
J
Underboss

Such as? What's unsound? Vito named a non-sicilian as consigliere? Vito sent Luca to find out about Sollozzo? Vito said no to drugs although they were "the coming thing." And Vito allowed the fighting qualitie of his capos to erode during ten years of peace.

I mean ordering the deaths of women and his brother

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: JCrusher] #621817
11/27/11 04:21 PM
11/27/11 04:21 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Originally Posted By: JCrusher

Still, what was unsound about it?

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: olivant] #621819
11/27/11 04:26 PM
11/27/11 04:26 PM
J
JCrusher Offline OP
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline OP
J
Underboss

Maybe because its wrong lol. I don't know man maybe i think different because i have a conscience

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: JCrusher] #621822
11/27/11 04:34 PM
11/27/11 04:34 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas

Maybe because its wrong lol. I don't know man maybe i think different because i have a conscience

If so, you should select a more applicable adjective than unsound. Unsound would apply to a business decision. Immoral would be a more applicable adjective for you to use in the context you expressed.

Also,as the novel details, one result of Vito's effort to monopolize the olive oil business was the disappearance of one of his competitors afterwhich that competitor's wife and children were forced to sell their business to Vito.

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: JCrusher] #621826
11/27/11 04:40 PM
11/27/11 04:40 PM
J
JCrusher Offline OP
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline OP
J
Underboss
I know what unsound means. I deleted the rest of my post by accident. I think you just misinterpreted what i was trying to say it happens. Also haven't you ever heard of having an unsound mind as in not whole or mentally normal

Last edited by JCrusher; 11/27/11 04:46 PM.
Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: JCrusher] #621867
11/27/11 08:42 PM
11/27/11 08:42 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
1) Why is the the killing of a woman more unsound/unjust as the killing of a man?
2) Why should we believe that Vito didn't accept the killing of women?
3) As I wrote, the circumstances were mor favorable to Vito: He had no brother to kill.

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: Danito] #621890
11/27/11 10:19 PM
11/27/11 10:19 PM
J
JCrusher Offline OP
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline OP
J
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Danito
1) Why is the the killing of a woman more unsound/unjust as the killing of a man?
2) Why should we believe that Vito didn't accept the killing of women?
3) As I wrote, the circumstances were mor favorable to Vito: He had no brother to kill.

I hope you dont think this way in real life about killings lol. like I said As far as I sa from Vito he was a smart guy but he wouldn't go overboard just to make more money. Maybe it was because of the heat it would attract but I just dont see vito allowing women to be killed or family members

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: JCrusher] #622302
11/30/11 12:06 PM
11/30/11 12:06 PM
New Market, MD
DeathByClotheshanger Offline
Underboss
DeathByClotheshanger  Offline
Underboss
New Market, MD
I think it's a gradual process, not one that can be whittled down to a single event. I mean, Mike is still getting darker and deeper in Part II and one could say that the facade of going legit in III while still having a hand in the family business is the darkest of them all.

Michael Corleone is a very complex character...throughout the entire trilogy. And that is one of the reasons the trilogy is so great and powerful.

That said, I do believe the night Mike was at the hospital and saw the determination people had to kill his father was probably the biggest impact to Mike's ability to change into the man he became.

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: DeathByClotheshanger] #622305
11/30/11 12:53 PM
11/30/11 12:53 PM
With Geary in Fredo's Brothel
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

Everyone has made similar points here, and I agree it was more a process than anything else. I think it begins after Vito is shot and Michael is observing up close how badly Santino is handling things. It dawns on him that if the family is to survive he is going to have to become more invlved. So he goes into NY and blows off Kay, goes to the hosital and his worst fears about how this is being handled are confirmed. The guards have all been sent home, and Vito is about to be killed. This is folllowed by the "I'm with you now Pop," scene, followed by Michael cleverly using Enzo to bluff the assassins, followed by him openly accusing McCluskey of being on the take. The following day when he returns home
everyone he learns the war has been escalated by Sonny who whacked Tatt jr (in exchange for a slap in the face???) and he sees everyone in the family hemming and hawing about what to do next, with Tom leading the charge to neotiate a deal. Finally he realizes he is the one ho has to stop Sol, and then when he does it he crosses the Rubicon, so to speak. Then after Appollinia's death, he knows that he is the only surviving son who can save the family. When he is in vegas his attitude toward Fredo is cold and distant, and by then he is a fully developed bad ass.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: JCrusher] #622309
11/30/11 01:43 PM
11/30/11 01:43 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Good analysis DT. But, of course, that analysis eschews Michael turning to evil which was the original question in this thread. As I posted above, I don't think evil exists; there's only what we do. If you want to label Mike's actions as evil, fine. But, as your analysis points out, it wasn't evil that caused Mike to do what he did; he was exigent circumstances. So, there was no turning to or becoming evil by Michael.

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: olivant] #622390
11/30/11 06:39 PM
11/30/11 06:39 PM
J
JCrusher Offline OP
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline OP
J
Underboss
Good analysis DT. But, of course, that analysis eschews Michael turning to evil which was the original question in this thread. As I posted above, I don't think evil exists; there's only what we do. If you want to label Mike's actions as evil, fine. But, as your analysis points out, it wasn't evil that caused Mike to do what he did; he was exigent circumstances. So, there was no turning to or becoming evil by Michael.

You seem to misinterpret some things. I never said evil as in the exorcist or something lol. I mean evil as in doing disgusting horrible things without remorse.

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: olivant] #622414
11/30/11 08:38 PM
11/30/11 08:38 PM
Berlin, Germany
Danito Offline
Underboss
Danito  Offline
Underboss
Berlin, Germany
Original geschrieben von: olivant
But, as your analysis points out, it wasn't evil that caused Mike to do what he did; he was exigent circumstances.

That's what my post was about. And that's the Lucifer Effect: You think you do something good not realizing what's in front of you. So, the participants of the Milgram Experiment thought they were helping science, when they hit the 450 Volt button.

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: Danito] #622417
11/30/11 09:04 PM
11/30/11 09:04 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline
olivant  Offline
O

Texas
Exactly. Mike thought he was doing good, but the question: is good for whom? His window of who benefited from the good was quite narrow. Then too, there's the rationalization he may have engaged in to sanction his deeds.

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: olivant] #622419
11/30/11 09:24 PM
11/30/11 09:24 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Yes, doing good for whom?

The novel makes the points that, when people came to Vito for help, "never were they disappointed." Later it says that "he got the idea that he ran his little world better" than the pezzanovanti in government.

Unless I miss my mark, the only good Michael did for individuals with no apparent strings attached was to make Jules medical director of his hotels, and keep Lucy on in some capacity--and that was only in the novel. He made a "magnificent endowment" to the State University in Nevada in II, but that was an institutional gift designed to help buy legitimacy. By III, he's literally throwing money at the Church and at Sicily--for the same purpose.

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: olivant] #622430
11/30/11 11:25 PM
11/30/11 11:25 PM
J
JCrusher Offline OP
Underboss
JCrusher  Offline OP
J
Underboss
Exactly. Mike thought he was doing good, but the question: is good for whom? His window of who benefited from the good was quite narrow. Then too, there's the rationalization he may have engaged in to sanction his deeds.

The point of the topic is how people outside view his actions. Of course he rationalizes his actions as good or the right thing because at that point he lost his humanity. I didn't say evil because i know that gets you in an uproar lol

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: JCrusher] #622464
12/01/11 12:19 PM
12/01/11 12:19 PM
dontomasso Offline
Consigliere to the Stars
dontomasso  Offline
Consigliere to the Stars

In III he rationalizes it all to Kay. He says first his father was in trouble "so what am I gonna do?" Then the same rationale for doing what he did to "save" his children. I think he crossed the line forever when he had Fredo killed. In essence at that point he was "saving" the family by killing one of its members, traitor that he was.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."

Re: At what point did Mike turn evil [Re: dontomasso] #622467
12/01/11 12:28 PM
12/01/11 12:28 PM
AZ
Turnbull Offline
Turnbull  Offline

AZ
Yes, Kay put it into perfect perspective in III. Michael rationalizes: "I tried to protect my family from the horrors of this world." Kay replies: "But you became my horror." clap

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull