GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 52 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,618
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 24,166
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,518
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,388
Posts1,059,832
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Dapper_Don] #621980
11/28/11 11:31 AM
11/28/11 11:31 AM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
I agree a lot with what Ivy said, and a lot of it's been said before (mostly by me, but I digress...). After Agostino was hit, after Nick was hit, people kept asking where is all the retaliation from their family back in Sicily. What? Come on. People just thought Caruana's and Cun trera's (wish we could fix that word on this site FOR REAL!) were going to fly in, left and right, to come save the day and start shooting up the place. I don't understand why. Yeah, they are tied to Sicily and yeah, they do business together globally, but Canada is Canada (eh?) and Italy is Italy. Whatever retaliations that would happen would have to come from whoever is up there now. And also as Ivy said, that numbers been overestimated.

And along the lines of what Pizzaboy said about Montagna not getting much news coverage...they barely even blinked an eye in Italy. It hardly made news at all and if it did, nobody cared. I know plenty people in Sicily didn't even know he was hit and who he was even. He's not the guy people made (make) him out to be. Get that..JoeyCigars?

Last edited by carmela; 11/28/11 11:46 AM.

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Dapper_Don] #621989
11/28/11 01:40 PM
11/28/11 01:40 PM
Your Mom's House
Jimmy_Two_Times Offline
Underboss
Jimmy_Two_Times  Offline
Underboss
Your Mom's House
Interesting info Caramela. So does that mean that Sal the Ironworker wasn't really anybody substantial? Does this mean that the Montreal piece of the pie isn't that big or that worth it?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Dapper_Don] #621990
11/28/11 01:43 PM
11/28/11 01:43 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
It doesn't mean anything, it's just an opinion. Carmela could be right, or wrong. Just as the rest of us.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."
Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Sonny_Black] #621991
11/28/11 02:01 PM
11/28/11 02:01 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
It doesn't mean anything, it's just an opinion. Carmela could be right, or wrong. Just as the rest of us.

True. Although my last post up there ^^^^ is all fact, not opinion. And a LOT of other things I've posted are based on more fact than opinion. But yeah sure, Sonny I could be wrong, and I probably am. wink Don't care if I am, don't care if I'm not. They don't put food on my table up there. I have zero interest in who's behind all this in Montreal. Zero. It's just that I happen to know many of the Caruana-Cun trera families, both blood and by marriage. But that's as far as my interest goes, and that's where I pull any info that I have from.

And to answer Jimmy_Two_Times, in Sicily I can tell you 100% that Montagna was nobody substantial.

Last edited by carmela; 11/28/11 02:03 PM.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: carmela] #621997
11/28/11 02:53 PM
11/28/11 02:53 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
Originally Posted By: carmela
True. Although my last post up there ^^^^ is all fact, not opinion. And a LOT of other things I've posted are based on more fact than opinion. But yeah sure, Sonny I could be wrong, and I probably am. wink Don't care if I am, don't care if I'm not. They don't put food on my table up there. I have zero interest in who's behind all this in Montreal. Zero. It's just that I happen to know many of the Caruana-Cun trera families, both blood and by marriage. But that's as far as my interest goes, and that's where I pull any info that I have from.

And to answer Jimmy_Two_Times, in Sicily I can tell you 100% that Montagna was nobody substantial.

I was only referring to you stating that Montanga was a nobody in Montreal. Not one of us knows his role for certain, although both you and Joey seem to know it for sure.

Anyway, even if you do know the [BadWord]-Caruana's (I don't know you do so if you say you do I take that for granted), would they even tell things like "Renda sleeps with the Fishes" or "Agostino is killed by a Sicilian" to their own wives let alone other relatives?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Dapper_Don] #621999
11/28/11 03:42 PM
11/28/11 03:42 PM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia
Apparently the funeral was pretty low key. None of the ostentatious shows of some other Montreal Mafia funerals.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/show+Montagna+church+service/5777841/story.html

(cough.)
Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Sonny_Black] #622000
11/28/11 03:48 PM
11/28/11 03:48 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ

I was only referring to you stating that Montanga was a nobody in Montreal. Not one of us knows his role for certain, although both you and Joey seem to know it for sure.

Anyway, even if you do know the [BadWord]-Caruana's (I don't know you do so if you say you do I take that for granted), would they even tell things like "Renda sleeps with the Fishes" or "Agostino is killed by a Sicilian" to their own wives let alone other relatives?

Yeah, I know what you're saying and you're right. But you know, when you're around people..people talk, it's conversation at a family gathering, etc.
Summer of 2010, I went to a memorial tribute for Agostino in Siculiana, Agrigento. I posted about it on Real Deal. Nobody even knew there was one going on. Who would know, unless you were there? But I was and I posted it. People talk at those types of gatherings. And some listen.
When Renda went missing, people speculated he was maybe kidnapped. Others speculated he was already dead. I backed up the people saying he was dead. I knew he was. And not only dead, I heard he went in a gruesome way. Tortured and dismembered. This is just stuff nobody comes up to you to tell you, but within a family people talk. Sometimes they're just speculating themselves. Sometimes they know for certain. Gossip and talk travels fast either way, though.

Regarding Montagna..I honestly don't know what was his role in Montreal or what was going thru his mind. I only said he was in no way the mastermind behind some takeover.

I'm done in here now...

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: carmela] #622005
11/28/11 04:30 PM
11/28/11 04:30 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
When Renda went missing, people speculated he was maybe kidnapped. Others speculated he was already dead. I backed up the people saying he was dead. I knew he was. And not only dead, I heard he went in a gruesome way. Tortured and dismembered. This is just stuff nobody comes up to you to tell you, but within a family people talk. Sometimes they're just speculating themselves. Sometimes they know for certain. Gossip and talk travels fast either way, though.

Sick people. That's not even revenge, it's far worse than that. Violi was killed without even realising it. One shot and he was dead, probably didn't feel any pain.

Why was Renda tortured and [BadWord] and Rizzuto only shot at? Does this suggest that Renda's role in the Violi murder was bigger than them? Could Renda have pulled the trigger personally?

And if [BadWord] was killed by a Sicilian, why? Was it a Sicilian hired by Hamilton, or was it one of his own? Could it be that Big Joe agreed that Agostino should pay for deeds in the past on the condition that they would do it themselves?

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Dapper_Don] #622006
11/28/11 04:35 PM
11/28/11 04:35 PM
Sonny_Black Offline
Underboss
Sonny_Black  Offline
Underboss
As a coincidende I found a very interesting page about the Montreal mafia:

http://www.montrealites.ca/cgi-bin/mt/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=43&tag=montreal%20mafia

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Sonny_Black] #622012
11/28/11 05:27 PM
11/28/11 05:27 PM
BarrettM Offline
Underboss
BarrettM  Offline
Underboss
@Carmela The more I think about it, the more that makes sense. I always thought the theory about kidnapping Renda to negotiate with him was bullshit. You can't assume that's the truth just because of his rank. The other theory was for once, they didn't want another body. But that was even less plausible. If they had a body it could tell us so much. Partial dismemberment I hear about in Sicily. But in New York, torture never goes past severe beating, or at the most, cuts. The less creative, the more Western. I'm sure they'll never find him.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Sonny_Black] #622026
11/28/11 07:15 PM
11/28/11 07:15 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

If you firmly believe in stats it would mean that the Montreal and Toronto families would only have 50 members, comparable to the size the Cleveland and Detroit families once had.

However, that you could compare the size of the Italian community in Montreal and Toronto with Cleveland and Detroit doesn't necessarily have to mean that there would also be the same amount of Italian criminals. Ratios can differ from place to place.

I'm a stats and figures guy, by nature, but I agree that the ratios in the Canadian cities don't necessarily reflect those in the U.S. But looking that the numbers, it is hard to believe there are "hundreds" of Cosa Nostra and 'Ndrangheta members there.

Quote:
So you're stating that the 'Ndrangheta families in Toronto have only 40 men in total? That would explain a lot of their supposed power. Could you direct me to the source which state this? I'm very curious.

That was how many Italian prosecutors cited in their report. There's an extensive article about it below -

http://www.jeff-goodall.com/?p=2440

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Dapper_Don] #622036
11/28/11 08:03 PM
11/28/11 08:03 PM
Montreal
T
Tonymtl Offline
Button
Tonymtl  Offline
T
Button
Montreal
Word on the streets. Lorenzo lopresti was one of Sals drivers throughout the year. He aligned himself with sal. Police sources indicated that Tony mucci was seen circulating in the same area sal was killed the last few months. Sal was probably killed in a considered safehouse.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Dapper_Don] #622038
11/28/11 08:14 PM
11/28/11 08:14 PM
Montreal
T
Tonymtl Offline
Button
Tonymtl  Offline
T
Button
Montreal
On a personal note. Saw the funeral today. My sympathies but it shows that Sals family don't belong in this city. Pulling the bird to journalists and police. No class at all. Italian montrealers would never act this way.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Dapper_Don] #622039
11/28/11 08:16 PM
11/28/11 08:16 PM
Mooney Offline
Capo
Mooney  Offline
Capo
I am wondering why they would kill Larry lopresti first?? Perhaps they were simply hoping it would make Montagna fall in line?

"Thank God for the American Jury System" - Nicky Scarfo
Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Dapper_Don] #622041
11/28/11 08:22 PM
11/28/11 08:22 PM
A
antimafia Offline
Underboss
antimafia  Offline
A
Underboss
A suspect has been arrested.

Link to French-language article:

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/qu ... cueil_POS2

Google translation:

Arrest of the man whose home was searched after the murder of Montagna
Vincent Larouche
La Presse

An entrepreneur of Charlemagne, whose house was searched after the murder of mafioso Salvatore Montagna last week was arrested by the Emergency Response Team of the Ontario Provincial Police Monday.

According to our sources, Jack Simpson was singled out during a massive police deployment in Ottawa. The 69 year old man is the owner of the house on the island Vaudry, Charlemagne, where investigators had visited after the death of Montagna, close by.

Jack Simpson was not arrested in connection with the murder, but for a breach of conditions related to a previous conviction.

It is clear, however, that investigators trying to solve the murder of Montagna will want to talk to him, according to our sources.

Jack Simpson the company has roughly Floors Inc.. He had some trouble with the law over the years.

Recall that Salvatore Montagna, 40, was killed last Thursday in Charlemagne. Born in Montreal, he had lived in Italy and New York, where he became acting head of the Bonanno crime family.

Deported to Canada in 2009, he had quietly begun to take in large circles in the mafia. His name also circulated as one of possible candidates for head of the local mafia.

Neither the Ontario Provincial Police or the Quebec Provincial Police have refused to confirm the arrest of Jack Simpson on Monday night.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: antimafia] #622042
11/28/11 08:28 PM
11/28/11 08:28 PM
Montreal
T
Tonymtl Offline
Button
Tonymtl  Offline
T
Button
Montreal
Who did Simpson rent the house to? That's what the cops wanna know. And what ever happened to Sals driver who drove him to the house? I'm sure it was a big setup.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Dapper_Don] #622050
11/28/11 08:46 PM
11/28/11 08:46 PM
Montreal
T
Tonymtl Offline
Button
Tonymtl  Offline
T
Button
Montreal
In last Thursday's journal de Montreal. Reporter mentioned thru police sources that there was a big mob meeting in east end Montreal. Aparently it ended abruptly when reps from Hamilton and Ontario left. Some kind of disagreement This I'm sure was the beginning of the end for Sal. Thats why the cops said it would be a hot fall/winter in Montreal. The meeting apparently took place in September.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Tonymtl] #622060
11/28/11 09:23 PM
11/28/11 09:23 PM
Mooney Offline
Capo
Mooney  Offline
Capo
Originally Posted By: Tonymtl
In last Thursday's journal de Montreal. Reporter mentioned thru police sources that there was a big mob meeting in east end Montreal. Aparently it ended abruptly when reps from Hamilton and Ontario left. Some kind of disagreement This I'm sure was the beginning of the end for Sal. Thats why the cops said it would be a hot fall/winter in Montreal. The meeting apparently took place in September.

Oh wow, i hadn't heard about that. Excellent info, thanks.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: IvyLeague] #622061
11/28/11 09:28 PM
11/28/11 09:28 PM
Texas
TonyG Offline
Capo
TonyG  Offline
Capo
Texas
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Speaking for myself, I'm content to avoid a lot of the speculation about the war and just wait for information to come in when it does.

That said, I've noticed that quite a few people here make the assumption that a big part of all this conflict is the drug pipeline between Canada and the U.S. Or, to be more specific, between Montreal/Toronto and New York. The thinking seems to be that the Montreal and Toronto guys have the product, because of their international connections, and so they are the suppliers to the New York guys, who don't have the same international connections, but have a market.

Ivy, I really appreciate your informed posts and I generally agree with you but only partly here. I do believe this has a lot to do with drug trafficking and routes. I agree with you that much of the drug trafficking is for the Canadian market. I disagree with your assertion that very little of it flows south to the US.

The Canadian US border is porous. There are old country roads you can take into the US from Canada without seeing CBP or a stop. Those routes have been used by LCN since the late 50's. That border is so porous, very few seizures have occurred even during the height of the French Connection, Pizza Connection and before.

From some of my readings, outside of what comes from Mexico, there are traffickers bringing in marijuana, cocaine, Meth and heroine on fishing vessels on both the Atlantic and Pacific. These fishermen make pick ups and transfers hundreds of miles out to sea and bring them back to smaller ports in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The Canadian ports are lightly policed compared to the US, especially the smaller fishing ports. From there, the drugs are trucked into Montreal and Toronto, for Canadian distribution and consumption, but also to fulfill US market needs, especially New York.

Gaspipe Casso evidently used this technique in his trafficking according to the Carlo book. Every now and again you will read about a fishing vessel getting busted, usually at the dock in a small port town, because someone informed. Rarely does the coast guard make a bust outside of the Gulf of Mexico.

Keep in mind that most heroin in NY is not the dark Mexican stuff, but the white Asian stuff.

Best way to catch the smart ones? Get an idiot working for them.
Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Dapper_Don] #622063
11/28/11 09:31 PM
11/28/11 09:31 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.
Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Dapper_Don] #622064
11/28/11 09:34 PM
11/28/11 09:34 PM
Mooney Offline
Capo
Mooney  Offline
Capo
I was watching that video earlier, lol i like how another procession pulls right up after Montagna's is done.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: TonyG] #622066
11/28/11 09:39 PM
11/28/11 09:39 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: TonyG

Ivy, I really appreciate your informed posts and I generally agree with you but only partly here. I do believe this has a lot to do with drug trafficking and routes. I agree with you that much of the drug trafficking is for the Canadian market. I disagree with your assertion that very little of it flows south to the US.

The Canadian US border is porous. There are old country roads you can take into the US from Canada without seeing CBP or a stop. Those routes have been used by LCN since the late 50's. That border is so porous, very few seizures have occurred even during the height of the French Connection, Pizza Connection and before.

From some of my readings, outside of what comes from Mexico, there are traffickers bringing in marijuana, cocaine, Meth and heroine on fishing vessels on both the Atlantic and Pacific. These fishermen make pick ups and transfers hundreds of miles out to sea and bring them back to smaller ports in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The Canadian ports are lightly policed compared to the US, especially the smaller fishing ports. From there, the drugs are trucked into Montreal and Toronto, for Canadian distribution and consumption, but also to fulfill US market needs, especially New York.

Gaspipe Casso evidently used this technique in his trafficking according to the Carlo book. Every now and again you will read about a fishing vessel getting busted, usually at the dock in a small port town, because someone informed. Rarely does the coast guard make a bust outside of the Gulf of Mexico.

Keep in mind that most heroin in NY is not the dark Mexican stuff, but the white Asian stuff.

I never said the US/Canadian border wasn't porous. If you look at the DEA reports, there are plenty of busts/seizures involving OC groups trafficking drugs across the border. I said that, when it comes to Italian OC, actual examples of drugs being trafficked southward, from Canada to the U.S., are rather rare. There is little evidence to support the assumption that the mob guys in Montreal or Toronto were ever trying to tap into the NY market in a big way. Or that the ongoing killings up there have anything to do with a struggle over who will control that pipeline. A pipeline into and distribution in Montreal or Toronto? Yes. But not really from there into New York or elsewhere in the U.S.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Mooney] #622067
11/28/11 09:45 PM
11/28/11 09:45 PM
A
antimafia Offline
Underboss
antimafia  Offline
A
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Mooney
I was watching that video earlier, lol i like how another procession pulls right up after Montagna's is done.

The next procession, ironically, was coming from the Complexe Funéraire Loreto, the Rizzuto-owned funeral home.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Dapper_Don] #622073
11/28/11 10:22 PM
11/28/11 10:22 PM
Montreal
T
Tonymtl Offline
Button
Tonymtl  Offline
T
Button
Montreal
If all is relatively quiet leading up to Vitos release than you know that Sal was a one man army. He spread fear on Montreal the way he decapitated the rizzutos and [BadWord]. He forced his way in Montreal he didn't earn it. That's how he lost respect. I heard he had assassins come in from across the border to have his work done. He had no choice but to kill as many powerful rizutto loyalists as possible because many are waiting for Vito on the sidelines. Sal hadn't finished before he died. They got to him first. I think Vito and his old allies will take back power. We will wait to see.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: antimafia] #622075
11/28/11 10:31 PM
11/28/11 10:31 PM
Australia
M
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica Offline
Mickey Meatballs
Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica  Offline
Mickey Meatballs
M
Underboss
Australia

FWIW, some recent articles have mentioned that Mexican and South American OC groups are now capable of producing the classic 'Number Four" or white heroin, having obtained the neccesary know-how and lab. capabilities.

Originally Posted By: antimafia
Originally Posted By: Mooney

The next procession, ironically, was coming from the Complexe Funéraire Loreto, the Rizzuto-owned funeral home.

Wow. Lifes irony indeed.

As antimafia posted, the owner of the house Montagna was apparently fleeing from is one Jack Simpson, a 69 year old male known to police. As also mentioned in said article, the guy was arrested not in connection to the murder, but in relation to certain breaches of his parole for prior convictions. (It doesn't exactly say that in the article, but it's my assumptions)

Is there much known about this guy Simpson, what his convictions were, who he was connected/in with? A quick google search yeilded not much beyond the mention in relation to the Montagna hit.

(cough.)
Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Tonymtl] #622076
11/28/11 10:43 PM
11/28/11 10:43 PM
Mooney Offline
Capo
Mooney  Offline
Capo
Originally Posted By: Tonymtl
If all is relatively quiet leading up to Vitos release than you know that Sal was a one man army. He spread fear on Montreal the way he decapitated the rizzutos and [BadWord]. He forced his way in Montreal he didn't earn it. That's how he lost respect. I heard he had assassins come in from across the border to have his work done. He had no choice but to kill as many powerful rizutto loyalists as possible because many are waiting for Vito on the sidelines. Sal hadn't finished before he died. They got to him first. I think Vito and his old allies will take back power. We will wait to see.

I always thought it was wayyyyy to much of a coincidence for all the Rizzuto bodies to start dropping the year Montagna got to montreal.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica] #622080
11/28/11 11:18 PM
11/28/11 11:18 PM
I
IvyLeague Offline
IvyLeague  Offline
I

Originally Posted By: Mickey_MeatBalls_DeMonica
FWIW, some recent articles have mentioned that Mexican and South American OC groups are now capable of producing the classic 'Number Four" or white heroin, having obtained the neccesary know-how and lab. capabilities.

Yep. The Colombians started refining their own high-grade heroin in the 1990's and the Mexicans not long after. It's why they were able to replace the China-White heroin in the NY market, which in turn had replaced the heroin that came by way of the Pizza Connection.

Last edited by IvyLeague; 11/28/11 11:19 PM.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: TonyG] #622081
11/28/11 11:53 PM
11/28/11 11:53 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline OP
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline OP
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: IvyLeague
Speaking for myself, I'm content to avoid a lot of the speculation about the war and just wait for information to come in when it does.

That said, I've noticed that quite a few people here make the assumption that a big part of all this conflict is the drug pipeline between Canada and the U.S. Or, to be more specific, between Montreal/Toronto and New York. The thinking seems to be that the Montreal and Toronto guys have the product, because of their international connections, and so they are the suppliers to the New York guys, who don't have the same international connections, but have a market.

when you talk about earners - Gaspipe is def in/near the top of that list that guy was a monster in more ways than one

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Dapper_Don] #622082
11/28/11 11:54 PM
11/28/11 11:54 PM
Brooklyn, New York
Dapper_Don Offline OP
Underboss
Dapper_Don  Offline OP
Underboss
Brooklyn, New York
NY Presence at Montagna's funeral?

Bonanno street boss buried in Canada

By MITCHEL MADDUX

The murdered, former street boss of New York's Bonanno crime family was remembered today at a funeral service in Canada -- and law-enforcement officers outside busily snapped photos of those attending.

Mourners filed into the Montreal church to pay their final respects to Salvatore "Sal the Iron Worker" Montagna, a native of Canada who was murdered Thursday after he left a house there.

The service was sparsely attended -- with an estimated 70 mourners -- contrasting sharply with recent funerals for other Canadian mobsters with deep roots in Quebec's Italian community, The Montreal Gazette said.

Montagna was deported to Canada from the US in 2009. Although born in Canada, he had lived most of his life in Italy and New York, officials said.

Over the weekend, several cars bearing New York state license plates were spotted at a Montreal funeral home, but few were seen at the church.

Before his death, Montagna had been reportedly engaged in discussions over the future leadership of Montreal's mob, which has been weakened in recent years by arrests and assassinations.

On Thursday, witnesses heard gunshots as Montagna left a house in a working-class suburb outside Montreal. Police believe he then jumped into a frigid river and swam to the opposite bank before dying in a bed of snow.

Investigators are still searching for the killer and believe a confrontation took place at the house.

"We think something happened - a struggle, a fight - something happened there," Sgt. Benoit Richard of the Sûreté du Québec, the provincial police agency, told The Post.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bonan...K#ixzz1f3wr9ksQ

Tommy Shots: They want me running the family, don't they know I have a young wife?
Sal Vitale: (laughs) Tommy, jump in, the water's fine.

Re: Sal Montagna shot and killed! [Re: Dapper_Don] #622083
11/29/11 12:00 AM
11/29/11 12:00 AM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
JoeyCigars and all his alter egos were 65 of the 70 participants at Montagna's funeral. Now all we need to figure out is who were the other 5 people.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull