GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 404 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,524
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,285
Hollander 23,980
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,513
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,354
Posts1,059,098
Members10,349
Most Online796
Jan 21st, 2020
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: Nicholas] #621187
11/22/11 12:41 AM
11/22/11 12:41 AM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
Originally Posted By: Nicholas
And as in the Unites States, violence is very typically internal and not between organizations?

Do they all maintain regional dominance and stay out of each others locales out of familiar respect or are they eager to encroach on each other?

How does the Sacra Corona Unita interact with the other 'Big 3' Italian organized crime groups? Considering that SCU is a young group compared to Cosa Nostra or the local Ndrengheta. Raffeale Cutolo started the SCU as a super-Camorra family; does this affect relations with Camorra clans?

Anyone familiar with the northern Mala del Brenta or the other Sicilian criminals, La Stidda?

they all maintain regional dominance, i've never heard of a total war between cosa nostra or camorra or ndrangheta, almost all the wars are within the same groups...
the only places where some frictions between different regional groups could be is in north italy where all the 4 groups have cells anyway all the big bosses are linked eachother inside prisons and outside that's because you never will have a war between sicilians and calabrians if not at local level in some northern city at most

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: StreetNeapolitan1718] #621196
11/22/11 03:40 AM
11/22/11 03:40 AM
Orange County, CA
Nicholas Offline
Underboss
Nicholas  Offline
Underboss
Orange County, CA
Yeah that's what I figured, just like here in the States, families go to war with themselves, not each other.

How does the Sacra Corona Unita see themselves along the 'Big 3' of Italian Organized crime

"The Feds are a business Anthony, millions of tax dollars are invested in watching your ass, sooner or later, just like you, their gonna want a return on their investment." --- Neil Mink, Tony Soprano's lawyer
Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: StreetNeapolitan1718] #621201
11/22/11 11:17 AM
11/22/11 11:17 AM
yigido Offline
Capo
yigido  Offline
Capo
what about organized crime in turin? here we had a few italians from turin who where involved in the usual rackets but they never made the papers.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: StreetNeapolitan1718] #621215
11/22/11 01:44 PM
11/22/11 01:44 PM
M
m2w Offline
Underboss
m2w  Offline
M
Underboss
turin is run by ndrangheta and sicilian mafia for the most, there are also smaller camorra and scu cells

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: StreetNeapolitan1718] #621834
11/27/11 06:00 PM
11/27/11 06:00 PM
B
botz Offline
Underboss
botz  Offline
B
Underboss
Instead of mobsters that orginate from neapolitan or sicilian stock is there alot of american mobsters that there people come from the region of veneto.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: botz] #621835
11/27/11 06:11 PM
11/27/11 06:11 PM
Orange County, CA
Nicholas Offline
Underboss
Nicholas  Offline
Underboss
Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: botz
Instead of mobsters that orginate from neapolitan or sicilian stock is there alot of american mobsters that there people come from the region of veneto.

Dellacroce.
Steven Crea's parents where from somewhere up north
Corozzo's family's from Piedmont. About as mafia related as Hawaii

"The Feds are a business Anthony, millions of tax dollars are invested in watching your ass, sooner or later, just like you, their gonna want a return on their investment." --- Neil Mink, Tony Soprano's lawyer
Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: StreetNeapolitan1718] #735226
08/18/13 01:56 PM
08/18/13 01:56 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Was: Revis_Island
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss
There's a rivalry between every region in Italy. The thing that I've always hated was when people ask if someone is sicilian or italian. You never see anyone ask if someone is neapolitan or italian. But anyway, there's more of a rivalry between southern italy and northern italy. But I've never seen that much of a difference between Sicily and other southern regions of Italy. People always say there's a huge difference but I've been to Italy and I've lived in America all my life and I've never seen a difference between most southern italian Americans and southern Italians in italy whether they're neapolitan, calabrese, or sicilian.

Last edited by Revis_Island; 08/18/13 02:00 PM.
Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: Revis_Knicks] #735227
08/18/13 02:01 PM
08/18/13 02:01 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Originally Posted By: Revis_Island
There's a rivalry between every region in Italy. The thing that I've always hated was when people ask if someone is sicilian or italian. You never see anyone ask if someone is neapolitan or italian. But anyway, there's more of a rivalry between southern italy than northern. But I've never seen that much of a difference between Sicily and other southern regions of Italy. People always say there's a huge difference but I've been to Italy and I've lived in America all my life and I've never seen a difference between most southern italian Americans whether they're neapolitan, calabrese, or sicilian.

The reason people separate sicilians with italians is because sicily is it's own island. It's separate from Italy and yes there is a HUGE difference in people, culture, food, attitude between sicilians and the mainland. You haven't spent enough time (or any time) in Sicily to understand it and you won't understand it from simply knowing Italian-Americans or Sicilian-Americans in this country.

La madre degli idioti e' sempre incinta.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: StreetNeapolitan1718] #735231
08/18/13 02:11 PM
08/18/13 02:11 PM
STRONG ISLAND
Caemine718 Offline
Button
Caemine718  Offline
Button
STRONG ISLAND
^ Trust the women with no shirt I'm caemine and I'm from caccamo

My name is caemine not carmine.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: StreetNeapolitan1718] #735233
08/18/13 02:17 PM
08/18/13 02:17 PM
B
bobbytran Offline
Capo
bobbytran  Offline
B
Capo
The main difference between the two is for example, my roots are from alessandria della rocca, and we tend to have very large penis, my late mothers friends who were second gen. out of Naples, have extremely small penis.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: carmela] #735235
08/18/13 02:31 PM
08/18/13 02:31 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss
Originally Posted By: carmela
There's a rivalry between every region in Italy. The thing that I've always hated was when people ask if someone is sicilian or italian. You never see anyone ask if someone is neapolitan or italian. But anyway, there's more of a rivalry between southern italy than northern. But I've never seen that much of a difference between Sicily and other southern regions of Italy. People always say there's a huge difference but I've been to Italy and I've lived in America all my life and I've never seen a difference between most southern italian Americans whether they're neapolitan, calabrese, or sicilian.

The reason people separate sicilians with italians is because sicily is it's own island. It's separate from Italy and yes there is a HUGE difference in people, culture, food, attitude between sicilians and the mainland. You haven't spent enough time (or any time) in Sicily to understand it and you won't understand it from simply knowing Italian-Americans or Sicilian-Americans in this country.

I am sicilian. And I've never see a HUGE difference between Sicily and other southern italian regions. It's not like it seems like its a whole different culture compared to other southern italian cultures. Sardinia is an island on its own as well, I don't see anyone saying Sardinians and Italians. And people don't understand that not all of Sicily is the same. The towns differ from each other as well. Just like every other italian region.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: StreetNeapolitan1718] #735239
08/18/13 02:57 PM
08/18/13 02:57 PM
B
bronx Offline
Underboss
bronx  Offline
B
Underboss
growing up in a sicilian home you would understand..my father would napolitano.. ah that''s o.k.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: StreetNeapolitan1718] #735244
08/18/13 03:17 PM
08/18/13 03:17 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss
My next door neighbors were calabrese americans and my parents and relatives used to speak italian to them with no problem and if anything they looked more sicilian than anyone in my family did. They used to cook the same way for the most part as we did in my household and they cooked the same food for the most part also.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: bobbytran] #735246
08/18/13 03:28 PM
08/18/13 03:28 PM
Underground
Toodoped Offline
Murder Ink
Toodoped  Offline
Murder Ink
Underboss
Underground
Originally Posted By: bobbytran
The main difference between the two is for example, my roots are from alessandria della rocca, and we tend to have very large penis, my late mothers friends who were second gen. out of Naples, have extremely small penis.

lol

He who can never endure the bad will never see the good
Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: Revis_Knicks] #735248
08/18/13 03:37 PM
08/18/13 03:37 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ

I am sicilian. And I've never see a HUGE difference between Sicily and other southern italian regions. It's not like it seems like its a whole different culture compared to other southern italian cultures. Sardinia is an island on its own as well, I don't see anyone saying Sardinians and Italians. And people don't understand that not all of Sicily is the same. The towns differ from each other as well. Just like every other italian region.

First of all, I'm in Sicily nearly every summer for the last 20 years or more. I know the island like the back of my hand. The towns in Sicily don't differ like you say.
This rivalry that you say is between all towns, doesn't exist. The north would look down on the south because, unlike Sicily, they had the better educations, the better schools and that. Not so much anymore, things have changed.
You are right though, there isn't such a big culture difference between north and south. What I meant by that is Sicily is all about fishing, the ports and water surrounding it, whereas the north is more mountain, they make cheese and more baking and such. This is what i meant about culture. Sicily is all fish. North, no.

If you're in Italy and someone says to you, "dove vieni?" they're asking you where are you from, in which case you'd answer what part of Italy/Sicily you come from. Nobody walks around Italy saying, "I'm sicilian, I'm roman, I'm neapolitan...."
And YES, if you run into a person over here that is from Sardinia, they will most definitely say they are Sardinian.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: carmela] #735250
08/18/13 03:49 PM
08/18/13 03:49 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss

First of all, I'm in Sicily nearly every summer for the last 20 years or more. I know the island like the back of my hand. The towns in Sicily don't differ like you say.
This rivalry that you say is between all towns, doesn't exist. The north would look down on the south because, unlike Sicily, they had the better educations, the better schools and that. Not so much anymore, things have changed.
You are right though, there isn't such a big culture difference between north and south. What I meant by that is Sicily is all about fishing, the ports and water surrounding it, whereas the north is more mountain, they make cheese and more baking and such. This is what i meant about culture. Sicily is all fish. North, no.

If you're in Italy and someone says to you, "dove vieni?" they're asking you where are you from, in which case you'd answer what part of Italy/Sicily you come from. Nobody walks around Italy saying, "I'm sicilian, I'm roman, I'm neapolitan...."
And YES, if you run into a person over here that is from Sardinia, they will most definitely say they are Sardinian.

I wasn't talking about rivalries between the towns today, I was talking about in the past. But yes I agree about the north and south. Fishing is huge in Sicily yes, but I still stand by the fact that Sicilians and other southern Italians are very much the same. Not northern Italians though.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: StreetNeapolitan1718] #735252
08/18/13 03:53 PM
08/18/13 03:53 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss
Why do you only see people saying italian/sicilian instead of italian/sicilian/Sardinia. Anthony Gaspipe Casso is neapolitan but he looks 100% sicilian.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: Revis_Knicks] #735255
08/18/13 04:01 PM
08/18/13 04:01 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Why do you only see people saying italian/sicilian instead of italian/sicilian/Sardinia. Anthony Gaspipe Casso is neapolitan but he looks 100% sicilian.

i'm not sure. Exactly how many people have you run into from Sardinia? It doesn't come up very often.
My husband is born and raised in sicily, has green eyes. A lot of his family there is fair as well, light eyes, etc. Same with like you said...some northerners looking like they should come from the deep south.
My father is born in sicily too, and has light eyes, so do I.

I do agree with you though about calabrians, they are close to sicilians, mostly because they are geographically the closest to sicily. They're extremely similar.

With regard to people from Napoli, if they are speaking their dialect heavy, I can't understand a word of it.

Also between the mafia groups some people love to make it out like they're enemies or rivals for some reason. That's not the case at all.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: StreetNeapolitan1718] #735256
08/18/13 04:02 PM
08/18/13 04:02 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss
Northern Italians have always looked down on southern Italians. Not so much in America but in Italy they still do to a lesser extent than years ago. The thing is, italy is still a very young country. It became a country in 1861 which isn't that long ago. I'm sure sometime in the future you will see everyone in Italy call themselves italian rather than the region that they hail from. When America first formed, we were still extremely divided, but today there's more of a sense of pride being from America whether you're from Ohio or Louisiana. People don't look at it was northerners and southerners anymore, we are all one now. Obviously we are still divided some what but compared to centuries ago we have vastly improved.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: carmela] #735258
08/18/13 04:06 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss

i'm not sure. Exactly how many people have you run into from Sardinia? It doesn't come up very often.
My husband is born and raised in sicily, has green eyes. A lot of his family there is fair as well, light eyes, etc. Same with like you said...some northerners looking like they should come from the deep south.
My father is born in sicily too, and has light eyes, so do I.

I do agree with you though about calabrians, they are close to sicilians, mostly because they are geographically the closest to sicily. They're extremely similar.

With regard to people from Napoli, if they are speaking their dialect heavy, I can't understand a word of it.

Also between the mafia groups some people love to make it out like they're enemies or rivals for some reason. That's not the case at all.

I agree. I'm pretty sure there are some parts of naples and campania that speak a dialect eerily similar to sicilian but don't quote me on that. I actually know one person who is from Sardinia that's why I brought up the question.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: StreetNeapolitan1718] #735259
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
^^^ Yes, there's a lot of truth to that. You'll see in sicily all the kids are speaking proper italian now, and moving away from the dialect. Maybe just in the homes or whatever, they speak dialect and the older ones will always speak dialect, but parents are speaking more and more italian than sicilian today. That's true.
But try and convince a sicilian they are "all one" and good luck to you.

If someone in the US asks my husband where he's from, due to his accent, he answers "Italy." If they say "what part?", he will then answer "sicily".

edit: this post was in answer to your next to last one.

Last edited by carmela; 08/18/13 04:08 PM.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: carmela] #735262
08/18/13 04:16 PM
08/18/13 04:16 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss
^^^ Yes, there's a lot of truth to that. You'll see in sicily all the kids are speaking proper italian now, and moving away from the dialect. Maybe just in the homes or whatever, they speak dialect and the older ones will always speak dialect, but parents are speaking more and more italian than sicilian today. That's true.
But try and convince a sicilian they are "all one" and good luck to you.

If someone in the US asks my husband where he's from, due to his accent, he answers "Italy." If they say "what part?", he will then answer "sicily".

edit: this post was in answer to your next to last one.

I agree again. Most Italians don't feel united YET. But years from now I'm sure they will. And that's the way my relatives used to answer. They'd say they're italian and then if they were asked what type they would say sicilian.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: StreetNeapolitan1718] #735263
08/18/13 04:22 PM
08/18/13 04:22 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss
You are 100% right about calabria. Especially southern calabria. Southern calabria is easily mistaken for sicilian. In parts of calabria they speak the sicilian dialect as well. Well, they used to at least idk about anymore.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: StreetNeapolitan1718] #735265
08/18/13 04:24 PM
08/18/13 04:24 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
At the end of WW2 there was a movement in Sicily to become a state. Can you imagine if that ever happened? I don't think anyone here in the USA ever seriously considered giving them statehood though. But back then the sicilians didn't like how they were being treated by the mainland.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: StreetNeapolitan1718] #735267
08/18/13 04:38 PM
08/18/13 04:38 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss
Many of the southern Italians were also invaded and violated by the Normans. And if that ever happened idk what I would think about it.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: StreetNeapolitan1718] #735268
08/18/13 04:40 PM
08/18/13 04:40 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss
I could never see that happening though. Then or now. It would be so weird.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: StreetNeapolitan1718] #735270
08/18/13 04:47 PM
08/18/13 04:47 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss
Especially since Sicilians have italian names. For instance, someone can have the last name calogero and be from Sicily while someone else can have that same last name and be from Torino.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: Revis_Knicks] #735271
08/18/13 05:01 PM
08/18/13 05:01 PM
NJ
carmela Offline
Underboss
carmela  Offline
Underboss
NJ
Especially since Sicilians have italian names. For instance, someone can have the last name calogero and be from Sicily while someone else can have that same last name and be from Torino.

I'm sure you meant Calogero as a first name, not last.

And I'm going to disagree with you on this. First names in Italy and Sicily are just as regional as last names are. You can tell where a person is from many times just by their first name.

For instance, Giancarlo is a northern name, not very common at all in sicily. The member here Giancarlo would tell you this, but that's not his real name.

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: carmela] #735274
08/18/13 05:36 PM
08/18/13 05:36 PM
G
Giancarlo Offline
Underboss
Giancarlo  Offline
G
Underboss
For instance, Giancarlo is a northern name, not very common at all in sicily. The member here Giancarlo would tell you this, but that's not his real name.

You don't have the slightest idea what my name is, now do you? So go ahead princess, whats my real name?

Re: Diffrence Between Neapolitan and Sicilian Mobsters [Re: carmela] #735276
08/18/13 05:45 PM
08/18/13 05:45 PM
R
Revis_Knicks Offline
Revis_Knicks  Offline
R
Underboss

I'm sure you meant Calogero as a first name, not last.

And I'm going to disagree with you on this. First names in Italy and Sicily are just as regional as last names are. You can tell where a person is from many times just by their first name.

Idk. There's names like Salvatore that are used in all regions of Italy. There are last names like Russo that can be found in all regions of Italy. And calogero is a first and last name. Just like the name Carlo for instance. That's why I never go by names because someone can have any italian last name and they can be from anywhere in Italy.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull